Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2018 NFL Draft Thread - QB or Bust

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forge

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: 2018 NFL Draft Thread - QB or Bust Reply with quote

And the draft thread is back. I wanted to wait until I had some good write ups going on for the quarterbacks in this draft since I feel that must be priority number one next year, particularly in a class that appears to be very strong, but quite frankly, I'm lazy and just wanted to post this since it's a little slow. There are 3 top 5 type quarterbacks available, and in my opinion, all are far superior than the top quarterbacks of last year.

Sam Darnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen

Those three could easily go 1-2-3 if all declare and play well.

The depth of this class is also superior to last year. A guy like Baker Mayfield, who may be a little on the small size but has displayed some great passing attributes. Mason Rudolph - I'm not big on Big XII quarterbacks, but he looks the part. I have a mid round grade on him but there's a ton of potential there. Lamar Jackson (don't know that he's a quarterback right now, but we will see). Luke Falk (not a fan, but others love him). I could go on. Right now, this could be a draft that is both top heavy and deep at the position, and I'll be watching them closely this year.

Here are the links to Daniel Jeremiah's first looks at Darnold and Allen. I'm assuming he'll do more in the future.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000814722/article/first-look-scouting-wyoming-qb-josh-allen

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813121/article/first-look-scouting-usc-qb-sam-darnold

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont sleep on Deondre Francois. He's got a big arm and quick release, I love the way he stays in the pocket with pressure collapsing and still delivers dimes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Dont sleep on Deondre Francois. He's got a big arm and quick release, I love the way he stays in the pocket with pressure collapsing and still delivers dimes.

If I remember right, I know that sbrown is pretty big on him. I haven't done a any homework on him yet since I'm not sure that he declares and didn't he wasn't eligible last year. So really all I've seen is just in passing. I think he would need a strong season to get into top 10 type consideration because he's only a redshirt sophomore.

PapaShogun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't Baker Mayfield had some off the field problems recently? That can't be helping his stock even if he has a good year.

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
Hasn't Baker Mayfield had some off the field problems recently? That can't be helping his stock even if he has a good year.

Yea he just plead guilty to a drunk in public and a few other minor things. Definitely not something that helps his draft stock but I don't think it's anything that will be too detrimental. Unless I'm mistaken that's his only real blemish on him off the football field.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
PapaShogun wrote:

Yea he just plead guilty to a drunk in public and a few other minor things. Definitely not something that helps his draft stock but I don't think it's anything that will be too detrimental. Unless I'm mistaken that's his only real blemish on him off the football field.

Yep. I don't think it'll be an issue so long as he keeps his nose clean throughout the year and doesn't come off as a tool about it in his interviews. Much bigger questions for him will be about his size for teams.

Frisco$finest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so judging by the 2016 tape I have seen so far, Josh Allen has my favorite tape. Big arm, mobile and escapes pressure very similar to Aaron Rodgers.

I am not sure what it is about Darnold but he reminds my of Jay Cutler. I think it's the way the holds the ball but it's a little off putting. The throws I have seen him make however are ones you don't see in college football a lot. Can fit balls in tight windows and has had some beautiful throws with loft that I havent seen a SF QB ever make.

When it's all said and done, I think Darnold will be the better prospect of the two. My stance is if Darnold can outperform Allen and neither takes a "Kizer" seized step back then Darnold will be the one I want.

I don't think Rosen can recover to be selected prior to either of the above. A whole football seasons to go however and I will be wrong about most of my options above. haha.
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frisco$finest wrote:
so judging by the 2016 tape I have seen so far, Josh Allen has my favorite tape. Big arm, mobile and escapes pressure very similar to Aaron Rodgers.

I am not sure what it is about Darnold but he reminds my of Jay Cutler. I think it's the way the holds the ball but it's a little off putting. The throws I have seen him make however are ones you don't see in college football a lot. Can fit balls in tight windows and has had some beautiful throws with loft that I havent seen a SF QB ever make.

When it's all said and done, I think Darnold will be the better prospect of the two. My stance is if Darnold can outperform Allen and neither takes a "Kizer" seized step back then Darnold will be the one I want.

I don't think Rosen can recover to be selected prior to either of the above. A whole football seasons to go however and I will be wrong about most of my options above. haha.

As the man who built the Josh Allen bandwagon, welcome!!! Happy to have you on board

sbrown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:

If I remember right, I know that sbrown is pretty big on him. I haven't done a any homework on him yet since I'm not sure that he declares and didn't he wasn't eligible last year. So really all I've seen is just in passing. I think he would need a strong season to get into top 10 type consideration because he's only a redshirt sophomore.

I am really big on him. However, I dont think he will leave after this season unless FSU wins a title. But he has incredible zip on the ball, great pocket awareness, and I think is better than Josh Rosen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: