Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Robinson Traded to Lions for 6th Round pick (2018)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
NVRamsFan wrote:
It's absolutely a risk but is McVay here for a 1 year turn around or to build a team? Build a team with young players brought up in his system that's what McVay is doing.

As for Decker he's not injury prone but he did miss 13 games from 2 different injuries last year. At 30 years old that is definitely going to up a caution flag.

That's one year, though. That's not enough of a pattern to qualify as injury prone.

It's not for McVay's benefit. It's for Goff's benefit. What happens if Woods gets hurt? What happens if Kupp struggles like many rookies do? What happens if Tavon is still Tavon? What happens if Thomas and Spruce are just off-season superstars?

We like to assume the best, but the worst has often happened for us at WR over the past decade. Fact is that Woods has never surpassed 699 yards in a season and has missed games in 3 out of his 4 years in the NFL. Kupp is a rookie. Tavon has yet to prove himself as a WR. Reynolds is a rookie. Thomas, Spruce, and Cooper didn't show much last year.

I like our young WRs. I am hoping for the best. But I also don't want Goff to get screwed if our optimism ends up being wrong.

I think Woods is a better WR than his numbers show because Buffalo and Tyrod were a bad fit for him. I think Cooper Kupp is an extremely pro ready WR who should be ready to make an immediate impact. I think Mike Thomas has the potential to be a legitimate deep threat for us. I think Tavon Austin has the potential to also be a legitimate deep threat.

But none of those beliefs are proven. On the other hand, Eric Decker is a proven WR.

So we have to weigh whether pushing a guy like Nelson Spruce off the roster is worth giving Goff a proven option. Based on the Rams' conduct, it appears they are confident in the WRs we have. I hope they're right. This coaching staff is undoubtedly better than Fisher's when it comes to the offense and passing game, but it's still a big risk with Goff.

A whole lot of what ifs is what I'm reading. I know they're unproven. I realize that could impact Goff. And to add a what if, what if after suffering 2 injuries that cost him a season a 30 year old with a lot of mileage on his body suffers another and we've devoted all those snaps throughout camp and preseason to a veteran who is now not around. Now we've got the people behind him on the depth chart with less preparation for the season.

I get it it's a risk going with this young WR and TE group. But how many times do we have to get burned signing a 30 year old coming off injuries before we finally stop being so eager to sign more. And before you mention him you know from other boards what I think we should have done at Center, Sullivan isn't the long term solution and might not be available all year.

Give the young guys a go let them earn the job and grow with Goff. I get you're worried about rookies hurting Goff's growth. Even more than me not wanting to sign a veteran I just don't see McVay signing another one. Hell we just had 2 roster spots open and did they contact Decker at all that we know of? I sure didn't hear about it. I just don't see McVay signing a vet WR it's more than me not wanting it.
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
A whole lot of what ifs is what I'm reading. I know they're unproven. I realize that could impact Goff.

Yes. The success of our WR corp depends entirely on quite a few what ifs going our way.

Quote:
And to add a what if, what if after suffering 2 injuries that cost him a season a 30 year old with a lot of mileage on his body suffers another and we've devoted all those snaps throughout camp and preseason to a veteran who is now not around. Now we've got the people behind him on the depth chart with less preparation for the season.

What if Robert Woods gets hurt without Decker being on this team?

What if Decker gets hurt? It's a good thing we have all this WR depth that you're confident about. If Decker gets hurt, we have those same WRs who you believe can step up independent of him.

Who cares if we devoted snaps to him? The other WRs have plenty of practice time too.

Decker has spent 7 years in the NFL. Last year was the first year that he suffered a major injury that caused him to miss multiple games. I think it's more likely that Decker stays healthy than a bunch of what if scenarios go our way.

Quote:
I get it it's a risk going with this young WR and TE group. But how many times do we have to get burned signing a 30 year old coming off injuries before we finally stop being so eager to sign more. And before you mention him you know from other boards what I think we should have done at Center, Sullivan isn't the long term solution and might not be available all year.

This is like asking, "How many times do we have to get burnt by drafting DTs in the first round before we stop being so eager to draft one?"

In fact, that was an argument people made against drafting Aaron Donald.

As I said above, last year was the first year in Decker's career that he wasn't durable. I'll take a risk on his health. Each player is his own man.

Quote:
Give the young guys a go let them earn the job and grow with Goff. I get you're worried about rookies hurting Goff's growth. Even more than me not wanting to sign a veteran I just don't see McVay signing another one. Hell we just had 2 roster spots open and did they contact Decker at all that we know of? I sure didn't hear about it. I just don't see McVay signing a vet WR it's more than me not wanting it.

If McVay doesn't, he doesn't. I didn't see McVay drafting Cooper Kupp, but he did. I didn't see Jeff Fisher trading up for Jared Goff, but he did. I didn't see Jeff Fisher drafting Aaron Donald, but he did.

Sometimes, we are surprised. If McVay is happy with what he has, I trust him. But until this door is shut, I'll advocate for us to sign Decker. I like our young WRs, but I also recognize the odds of a guy like Spruce or Thomas panning out. I think highly of them, but you should hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Even if we sign Decker, he still has to beat those guys out for a job.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the talk about Decker is useless.

1) We don't have money to sign him unless we do something silly with contract and guaranteed money.

2) If Woods get hurt, we have a lot of unproven WR to replace him. It's their last chance to show what they got before we cut them next year so that's good. I'm not worry about that, it's not like we are contending for anything this year.

3) We have a lot of similar WR so an injury wouldn't hurt.

If Woods or Austin got hurt we can replace them with Thomas, Reynolds, Cooper.
If Kupp is hurt we can replace him with Cooper, Spruce, Austin.

The replacement won't be as good as Decker but with that, we could really see who we are keeping for next year or not.
S-jax39

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only on footballs future could a rams fan argue against signing a proven vet wr that doesnt drop passes. Because somehow it hasnt been beaten in tour head enough that our wrs are garbage every year. Amazing.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-jax39 wrote:
Only on footballs future could a rams fan argue against signing a proven vet wr that doesnt drop passes. Because somehow it hasnt been beaten in tour head enough that our wrs are garbage every year. Amazing.

Read again Mr Amazing. I'm saying our GM won't sign any more vets. I don't care if we do though I'd lean against it. I'm saying our coach and GM had the opportunity to sign all kinds of free agent Vets in the off season and stopped at one a 25 year old 4 year vet. If all you want is a vet that can catch Boldin is still a free agent. But then again if you look at our salary cap you'd see we have very little salary cap left to even sign a veteran and they're trying to work out an extension for Donald so we likely have no cap space to sign anybody.
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have probably the worst talent eval in the entire league for offensive linemen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
We have probably the worst talent eval in the entire league for offensive linemen.

I'm hopeful that McVay and Kromer will change that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the General Season thread, the fact that J.Brown was getting first team reps at RT was a bad sign for Robinson.

It really is unfortunate, As much as people will bash this pick now, just about the whole league saw him as a great prospect. I think the old regime help on too long, and didnt try to make him a guard fast enough and now he probably has too many bad tendencies to correct them.

Still think he could be a decent guard, probably will be at his next stop after someone signs him for cheap.

Im excited to see if we can hit on any of these young guys, because honestly we need to.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Rhaney has been cut. Are we clearing the deck of Lineman for something?

Not trying to insinuate anything big, but are there more UDFA's or other Street FAs that we are going to bring in? or is this just preemptive for some Veteran cuts that are sure to be coming for training camp?
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Now Rhaney has been cut. Are we clearing the deck of Lineman for something?

Not trying to insinuate anything big, but are there more UDFA's or other Street FAs that we are going to bring in? or is this just preemptive for some Veteran cuts that are sure to be coming for training camp?

Rhaney was a direct result of the current regime being more impressed with both Blythe and Eldrenkamp

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
2. Forrest Lamp, G/C, WKU
3. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
4. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Eldrenkamp is Kromer's guy. I expect he makes the team. Knowing Kromer's track record, we might be stronger at Center than we expect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Yep. Eldrenkamp is Kromer's guy. I expect he makes the team. Knowing Kromer's track record, we might be stronger at Center than we expect.

I keep seeing this posted. I just never saw anything about Kroner being high on him. Do you have a link?

I trust this new coaching staff. Just as I did the last. However the last staff I thought could set us on a right path, and honestly talent wise....we are way better than we were. Just lacked big time on development.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhicks11 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

I keep seeing this posted. I just never saw anything about Kroner being high on him. Do you have a link?

I trust this new coaching staff. Just as I did the last. However the last staff I thought could set us on a right path, and honestly talent wise....we are way better than we were. Just lacked big time on development.

RamRod wrote:
Post draft presser going on right now.

Asked about why no OLs drafted. Snead Basically said we've spent draft capital on OLs before and wants to work with what we've got. Also, wouldn't name a name but said there's an undrafted OL that Kromer feels good about it.

It was in the post-draft press conference. I don't have a link to it.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/05/13/undrafted-free-agent-jake-eldrenkamp-will-compete-for-rams-center-job-10/
Quote:
Its not ridiculous to think that Eldrenkamp, well regarded by Rams offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, could make the roster in the fall as the backup center.

Hes a guy thats got good movement, McVay said. Hes got some flexibility to be able to play on the interior line, but he was a guy that Coach Kromer, our scouts, did a nice job identifying as a player that we feel like could project well with some of the things were looking for. Itll be exciting to kind of watch him.

Last edited by jrry32 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhicks11 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

They talked about an UDFA still to be signed right after the draft that Kromer was very high on. Then after he was signed they acknowledged it was Eldrenkamp. You'd have to go back and look through all of McVay and Kromers post draft pressers. Not something I'm going to do having watched them before but you're welcome to at the Rams website.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I really hope he (or one of the other cheap guys we picked up) are really solid at Center this year.

Because if not, I'm worried we will end up paying Eric Wood next offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: