Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Robinson Traded to Lions for 6th Round pick (2018)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El ramster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've drafted 2 all time pos tackles 😔😭😭😭😭..
We could have gotten Mack or Odell...

Remember when we had drafted like 12 bust DTs before Donald lol..

Man I hate he busted that hard.. He had all the talent In world.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What talent ?

This guy was drafted because he was an athletic freak but his technique was very raw and had a lot to learn...

I already said when he was drafted that he was Jason Smith 2.0...
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This move was to free up cap space to extend defensive guys that are already on the roster, not take a shot at another WR.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
2. Forrest Lamp, G/C, WKU
3. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
4. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flounch wrote:
What talent ?

This guy was drafted because he was an athletic freak but his technique was very raw and had a lot to learn...

I already said when he was drafted that he was Jason Smith 2.0...

Yeah, I'm with Flounch on this one. Let's not mistake "ability" for talent. Talent is ability that's actually harnessed into productivity; G-Rob never quite got there.

Something that's been needling at me most of the day - has there actually been an effective transition from Auburn to the NFL by an OL since Malzahn took over the program? It wouldn't surprise me if there was, but the scheme doesn't exactly lend itself to teaching the finer points of the technical stuff that's require to succeed in the league.

This isn't terribly different from the rarity of getting quality OL out of similar "gimmick" (for lack of a better word) schemes barring a few exceptions - as the Jason Smith comp is really apropos.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
BStanRamFan wrote:
Enough to make a run at Eric Decker? lol

That's a double-edged sword to be honest. Does it help the development of Goff? Most definitely - and that's probably what's most important. But the thing to also consider is: Does it help the development of Goff that much more than Kupp (one of the highest floor WR prospects in this class) to justify delaying Kupp's development?

The two players are fairly redundant of one another. And while McVay runs a heavy majority of 3-WR sets, no matter how much some may want them to, they're not just going to scrap heap Tavon, because - unlike G-Rob - he actually does put in heavy effort and we're stuck paying him fat for at least this season.

My bet is Decker doesn't rush this decision (he just got medically cleared anyway, putting in a little extra recovery time isn't going to hurt him or his value), and possibly waits to see if OTA's or early training camps claim any of the WR1's around the league with a major injury.

If you bring Decker in, it's not to block Kupp. It's because you don't believe in Tavon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
BStanRamFan wrote:
Enough to make a run at Eric Decker? lol

That's a double-edged sword to be honest. Does it help the development of Goff? Most definitely - and that's probably what's most important. But the thing to also consider is: Does it help the development of Goff that much more than Kupp (one of the highest floor WR prospects in this class) to justify delaying Kupp's development?

The two players are fairly redundant of one another. And while McVay runs a heavy majority of 3-WR sets, no matter how much some may want them to, they're not just going to scrap heap Tavon, because - unlike G-Rob - he actually does put in heavy effort and we're stuck paying him fat for at least this season.

My bet is Decker doesn't rush this decision (he just got medically cleared anyway, putting in a little extra recovery time isn't going to hurt him or his value), and possibly waits to see if OTA's or early training camps claim any of the WR1's around the league with a major injury.

If you bring Decker in, it's not to block Kupp. It's because you don't believe in Tavon.

Oh then sign me up for Decker because I lose faith by the day that Tavon can play the D-Jax role. Decker, Woods, and Kupp are a solid 3 in my eyes. 3 sure handed receivers which is something we haven't had in years.
S-jax39

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good riddance. We get rid of Janoris but keep this scrub just to eventually trade him. Yes, I know it wasnt one or the other but its just astounding to me how we wasted those extra picks and didnt keep people that panned out during that time.
BEASToftheEAST4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were to spend money on any FA WR as a result of this, I'd prefer it to be Maclin over Decker. I think Maclin fills that D-Jax role everyone keeps clamoring over much better than Decker, and quite frankly, better than Tavon as well. Regardless, I agree with one of the above posters that this was a cap clearing move to extend our own talent--especially on defense--as opposed to going out and making a signing.

Going back to the topic of this actual thread, this move is both relieving and disappointing. It's disappointing in that we got a 6th round pick for a guy who has all the potential in the world. Would have liked to see at least a 5th rounder for him. But with that said, If I'm the Lions, I'm certainly not giving up a 5th for him, so I really can't be upset at that fact. And with us relieving the cap space, it's hard to argue. It was pretty clear almost immediately that Robinson was not in the future plans with this new regime. The biggest reason that this is disappointing is that this wasn't a bad pick at the time. Many of us were very happy with the pick at the time and it just sucks that we've got nothing to show for it now.
With that said, this is relieving because we can finally move on and stop hoping he's just going to eventually figure it out, while our young QB gets killed in the meantime. I hate the mentality of finding any excuse to give a guy another year to prove himself when they've already proven to be a failure.

My biggest gripe with this all actually isn't even about Robinson. It's with Havenstein and how they're utilizing him. Again, I can't help but think that they were planning on either dumping or dealing G-Rob. If that were the case, then why not keep Havenstein at RT the whole time? Even if it wasn't something they had planned on, now that Robinson has been dealt, why not go back to Havenstein at tackle instead of Brown being the tentative starter there? I like Brown but if he wasn't great at guard, I'm having a hard time of being convinced that he'll flourish at tackle. It really worries me that they think that little of Havenstein, who I believe is the third most talented lineman on this team after Whitworth and Saffold.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha people really need to get over the idea of signing free agent WR's. McVay and Snead if they wanted could have signed multiple veteran FA's. Instead they signed one, and we know after their pressers why they signed him, and chose to draft to fill out the rest of the WR room. The time is long past for signing free agent WR's.
BStanRamFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
Haha people really need to get over the idea of signing free agent WR's. McVay and Snead if they wanted could have signed multiple veteran FA's. Instead they signed one, and we know after their pressers why they signed him, and chose to draft to fill out the rest of the WR room. The time is long past for signing free agent WR's.

Disagree. Maclin and Decker were cut in the past 10 days so they weren't available during the FA signing period. Also, we will see some veteran WR's cut throughout camp or before the regular season starts. With only Woods and Austin as veterans, I can see us making a move for someone with more experience.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEASToftheEAST4 wrote:
If we were to spend money on any FA WR as a result of this, I'd prefer it to be Maclin over Decker. I think Maclin fills that D-Jax role everyone keeps clamoring over much better than Decker, and quite frankly, better than Tavon as well. Regardless, I agree with one of the above posters that this was a cap clearing move to extend our own talent--especially on defense--as opposed to going out and making a signing.

Maclin was already signed to play in the slot in Baltimore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BStanRamFan wrote:
NVRamsFan wrote:

Disagree. Maclin and Decker were cut in the past 10 days so they weren't available during the FA signing period. Also, we will see some veteran WR's cut throughout camp or before the regular season starts. With only Woods and Austin as veterans, I can see us making a move for someone with more experience.

Sorry but not a chance. We have the two vets you cite. We have 2 picks McVay and Snead made this year. What are we carrying 5 maybe 6 WR's? We have strong reports that McVay is very impressed with Michael Thomas and Nelson Spruce. That also leaves Bones ST guy Marquez and last years 3rd round pick Pharoah Cooper out of luck and off the roster. He's not going to add an older injury prone guy and go away from the youth that he likes. Woods, Austin, Kupp, Reynolds and Thomas IMO are on the roster. The last one comes down to Cooper and Spruce with me thinking they try to trade Cooper like they just did GRob. We're not adding another vet WR.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
BStanRamFan wrote:
NVRamsFan wrote:

Sorry but not a chance. We have the two vets you cite. We have 2 picks McVay and Snead made this year. What are we carrying 5 maybe 6 WR's? We have strong reports that McVay is very impressed with Michael Thomas and Nelson Spruce. That also leaves Bones ST guy Marquez and last years 3rd round pick Pharoah Cooper out of luck and off the roster. He's not going to add an older injury prone guy and go away from the youth that he likes. Woods, Austin, Kupp, Reynolds and Thomas IMO are on the roster. The last one comes down to Cooper and Spruce with me thinking they try to trade Cooper like they just did GRob. We're not adding another vet WR.

Going with unproven youth comes with a lot of risk. Think about the last 10 or so years.

Also, I don't know how Decker got labeled as injury prone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
NVRamsFan wrote:
BStanRamFan wrote:
NVRamsFan wrote:

Going with unproven youth comes with a lot of risk. Think about the last 10 or so years.

Also, I don't know how Decker got labeled as injury prone.

It's absolutely a risk but is McVay here for a 1 year turn around or to build a team? Build a team with young players brought up in his system that's what McVay is doing.

As for Decker he's not injury prone but he did miss 13 games from 2 different injuries last year. At 30 years old that is definitely going to up a caution flag.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NVRamsFan wrote:
It's absolutely a risk but is McVay here for a 1 year turn around or to build a team? Build a team with young players brought up in his system that's what McVay is doing.

As for Decker he's not injury prone but he did miss 13 games from 2 different injuries last year. At 30 years old that is definitely going to up a caution flag.

That's one year, though. That's not enough of a pattern to qualify as injury prone.

It's not for McVay's benefit. It's for Goff's benefit. What happens if Woods gets hurt? What happens if Kupp struggles like many rookies do? What happens if Tavon is still Tavon? What happens if Thomas and Spruce are just off-season superstars?

We like to assume the best, but the worst has often happened for us at WR over the past decade. Fact is that Woods has never surpassed 699 yards in a season and has missed games in 3 out of his 4 years in the NFL. Kupp is a rookie. Tavon has yet to prove himself as a WR. Reynolds is a rookie. Thomas, Spruce, and Cooper didn't show much last year.

I like our young WRs. I am hoping for the best. But I also don't want Goff to get screwed if our optimism ends up being wrong.

I think Woods is a better WR than his numbers show because Buffalo and Tyrod were a bad fit for him. I think Cooper Kupp is an extremely pro ready WR who should be ready to make an immediate impact. I think Mike Thomas has the potential to be a legitimate deep threat for us. I think Tavon Austin has the potential to also be a legitimate deep threat.

But none of those beliefs are proven. On the other hand, Eric Decker is a proven WR.

So we have to weigh whether pushing a guy like Nelson Spruce off the roster is worth giving Goff a proven option. Based on the Rams' conduct, it appears they are confident in the WRs we have. I hope they're right. This coaching staff is undoubtedly better than Fisher's when it comes to the offense and passing game, but it's still a big risk with Goff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: