Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Melvin Ingram, Chargers agree to 4 year, $66 million deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Melvin Ingram, Chargers agree to 4 year, $66 million deal Reply with quote

http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/06/11/chargers-agree-four-year-deal-melvin-ingram

Quote:
On Sunday they announced they’ve done just that, agreeing to terms on a four-year deal with number 54 to keep the speedy edge rusher in the fold for the foreseeable future.

Was not a fan of the pick at all when it happened, but he's proven me wrong

Quote:
Adam Schefter‏Verified account
@AdamSchefter

Chargers are giving LB Melvin Ingram a four-year, $66 million deal that includes $42 million guaranteed, per team source.

Pretty pricey. Don't think he's really worth that much since he's not really a lead pass rusher.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI

Last edited by JammerHammer21 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to see the details of the contract. As good as he is, he is really a tier two pass-rusher, which is fine since we have Bosa. But I really hope the team didn't overpay.....
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO they had to pay it. It's not a terrible contract by any means and the cap continues to rise every single year.

The chargers have a better chance at a championship if everything goes right than maybe any team in the AFC West so they have to keep their core together.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pretty pricey. Don't think he's really worth that much since he's not really a lead pass rusher.

He is getting 16.5 a year, which is the same amount as Chandler Jones and he and Melvin are the same caliber player.

This isn't as bad as I thought it would be.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Quote:

He is getting 16.5 a year, which is the same amount as Chandler Jones and he and Melvin are the same caliber player.

I think Chandler is a tier ahead of Ingram at this point, but it's a moot point. With the way the pass rusher market is going up, it's forgivable. Ingram has shown pretty dramatic improvement over the last few seasons so I think the Chargers like what they see. If I recall, he was starting to look like a bust after his first few seasons in the league.

[2015 Adopt-A-Patriot]:#17 - Aaron Dobson
Rec:13 Yards:141 TDs:0

Smack Ink
DutchFalcon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this move. I expect Bosa to keep improving and Ingram will be a nice compliment to take advantage of the attention Bosa will get.

Sure the money looks a bit rich but by next FA period it might be a bargain.
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Quote:

I think Chandler is a tier ahead of Ingram at this point, but it's a moot point. With the way the pass rusher market is going up, it's forgivable. Ingram has shown pretty dramatic improvement over the last few seasons so I think the Chargers like what they see. If I recall, he was starting to look like a bust after his first few seasons in the league.

Unless you think Jones is tier-one/top level pass-rusher, then no he isn't a tier better then Ingram.

And Ingram never really was a bust early in his career. He could always generate pressure. His issue was finishing and run-defense, but he has always been a fairly talented player.

Last edited by game3525 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a pretty smart move by the Chargers, but man, this makes me so happy we locked up Kerrigan when we did.

mike23md on the sig
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best pass rushers most people don't know about. He's worth every penny.
KManX89

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this move. Ingram is finally playing lot a premiere pass rusher and Bosa drawing attention away from him will make his job a hell of a lot easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way too much for him but I don't blame the Chargers for doing it.
pnies20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember arguing with people about him before the draft. Good to see he's doing well for himself.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have him, but Im sorry, I dont like this deal at all. $42m guaranteed is the main reason. He is already 28, which isnt super old but I dont see him as a top tier pass rusher and I think he disappears too often. Reminds me of Lamarr Woodley in regards to how hot and cold he is.

That being said, I do think the Chargers needed to retain him to give the Chargers the best chance of winning a title while Rivers is still there, and if the Chargers wouldnt have paid him this much, some other team would have.

In the end, however, I think he is a merely good, sometimes very good player getting paid elite money.

Everyone gets overpaid these days, anyway, so it is what it is. Confused

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good player, but that does definitely strike me as a bit of an overpay. That'll be top 5 money for an edge rusher. With a really high percentage guaranteed as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Quote:

Unless you think Jones is tier-one/top level pass-rusher, then no he isn't a tier better then Ingram.

And Ingram never really was a bust early in his career. He could always generate pressure. His issue was finishing and run-defense, but he has always been a fairly talented player.

And the fact that he couldn't stay healthy after his rookie season. But I'm glad that he was able to find a way to minimize those injuries. What makes me hopeful was that he did something about it the year before the "contract" year. Means less chance of him doing it for just a pay day. Though I supposed Donald Butler will always hang in my mind about a rising star that fell so quickly after his pay day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: