You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thejunki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: ........ Reply with quote

Last edited by thejunki on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

decent but overrated player. cant remember who, but last offseason one of the guys here had him in his top-10 corners list in nfl gen
thejunki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean smith is over rated he cost us 40 million to get but amerson came off the waiver wire and is worth every penny we invested in him. If you pay close attention to the video you will see how many 3rd down stops amerson made to get the defense off the field. Sean smith only had four drive killers all year . I still like the potential sean smith can add to the defense if used properly but he is being used the wrong way in ken norton's scheme
Darbsk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pickup by Reggie and while I'm under no illusion that he's a top 10 corner he's a very good #2 CB in our system. Didn't play as well last year as the year before but I don't think he was by any means bad.

He's almost like the antithesis of Hayden, where he has great anticipation and plays the ball really well with his awareness but can get sloppy at times in his coverage by taking chances. He does gamble now and then so he'll always be prone to giving up the odd play but realistically, he's more than good enough if we have solid play at CB#1 and a decent pass rush.
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
Great pickup by Reggie and while I'm under no illusion that he's a top 10 corner he's a very good #2 CB in our system. Didn't play as well last year as the year before but I don't think he was by any means bad.

He's almost like the antithesis of Hayden, where he has great anticipation and plays the ball really well with his awareness but can get sloppy at times in his coverage by taking chances. He does gamble now and then so he'll always be prone to giving up the odd play but realistically, he's more than good enough if we have solid play at CB#1 and a decent pass rush.
agreed. glad we got amerson locked up
G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent to good player who has flashes. Like we locked him up before seeing some of these CB contracts. I even like Smith's after this off-season. Shocked
Conley will keep the competition high so neither player should slack knowing a CB was drafted to possibly replace them. I think with an extra year together the secondary will be much improved and hopefully Smith's health was more of the reason for a drop-off last season. Though he was benched and the coaches jobs are to put the pieces in the proper place on the puzzle.
Really looking forward to this season.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He had some horribe luck in the playoff game last year. Had some really good coverage on hopkins but a well placed ball by osweiler deep and some bad PI calls.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
RaiderX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith had a horrible start and had a fairly long stretch of decent play. Amerson was consistently bad last year.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
Smith had a horrible start and had a fairly long stretch of decent play. Amerson was consistently bad last year.

Amerson was our best defender throughout the 1st month of the season.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2016/10/6/13189420/david-amerson-is-nfl-top-rated-corner-per-pff-raiders-with-3-in-top-50

After that, he was inconsistent and gave up too many plays overall.
Darbsk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:

Sorry, I can't say I agree with this at all.

In fact, I would say he was the exact opposite............Amerson was inconsistently good last year Smile

This year, with a hopefully better pass rush, another year in the system for Smith, Nelson, Joseph and the additions of Conley and Melinfonwu there's every reason to believe he can improve aswell as our whole secondary should improve IMHO.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say Smith is inconsistent, he's a matchup corner. Against bigger wideouts not named Julio Jones, he was actually very good. Against speedy smaller guys like Brandin Cooks, Steve Smith, etc, he was terrible. Just keep him off smaller guys.. it was so frustrating our coaching staff never got that through their head. One reason at times I wanted to choke Norton lol. However, with Conley playing in the Nickel and taking care of those smaller guys, Smith should get more matchups to his liking.

As for Amerson, inconsistent describes him more accurately. There were games where he looked like a Top 5 CB in the league. And there were other games he looked like DJ Hayden. Not much middle ground.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
I wouldn't say Smith is inconsistent, he's a matchup corner. Against bigger wideouts not named Julio Jones, he was actually very good. Against speedy smaller guys like Brandin Cooks, Steve Smith, etc, he was terrible. Just keep him off smaller guys.. it was so frustrating our coaching staff never got that through their head. One reason at times I wanted to choke Norton lol. However, with Conley playing in the Nickel and taking care of those smaller guys, Smith should get more matchups to his liking.

As for Amerson, inconsistent describes him more accurately. There were games where he looked like a Top 5 CB in the league. And there were other games he looked like DJ Hayden. Not much middle ground.

It's really about the CBs playing sides and offense motioning into mismatches. Unless we are willing to pull him from the field at times and have him roll into over the middle, saftey or even TE coverage he will keep being matched up with quick WRs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

It's really about the CBs playing sides and offense motioning into mismatches. Unless we are willing to pull him from the field at times and have him roll into over the middle, saftey or even TE coverage he will keep being matched up with quick WRs.

Yep because he can't play anywhere but at RCB. Sean Smith is good but he's very limited in the way he can be used.
Mr Raider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Smith and Amerson had stretches of looking like they needed to be cut and stretches where you saw incredible talent and a place on a strong defense. But that was kind of the problem, way too many swings up and down. Smith leveled off a little bit more down the stretch, but his highs weren't as good as Amerson at the start of the season. The incredible inconsistency leads me to believe there's still talent and a fit there but the pass rush is going to have to step up. I have more faith in Amerson than Smith this season because CBS can fall off a cliff and Smith has less athletic ability and if that starts to fade he has less room for error. And right or wrong he was supposed to be our top corner where everyone seems top agree Amerson can be a strong 2.

I actually think DA has a bounce back year and looks like he can be the number 2 for the next couple of years. I think the pass rush picks up some with a healthy (hopefully) MEJ, some development from Ward and Calhoun, Mack takes another step, hopefully he starts stronger than he has to this point in his career, and improvements around him in the secondary. Plus Karl Joseph is my projected breakout player for us on defense and a really good safety does wonders for your corners.

Smith I don't really know what we get. But if I had to guess I'd say we see similar to last year, some really bad stretches, some good ones, and some frustration because you aren't sure which is coming each week. Plus like unlike Amerson he doesn't offer much of anything when it comes to ball skills so while both guys can get beat Amerson is more likely to make up for some of it with getting his hands on the ball either interceptions or tip passes. The good news is I think Smith and Amerson offer enough to let us.work in Conley at a level where we don't have to say hey rookie we have no experience or talent in front of you and we need you to be a lock down guy year one. Conley will make some plays, make some mistakes and hopefully gets better down the stretch and into the playoffs and allows us to play match ups and at least slow some teams down.

The poster formally known as LivingLegendWFC
daineraider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thejunki wrote:
sean smith is over rated he cost us 40 million to get but amerson came off the waiver wire and is worth every penny we invested in him. If you pay close attention to the video you will see how many 3rd down stops amerson made to get the defense off the field. Sean smith only had four drive killers all year . I still like the potential sean smith can add to the defense if used properly but he is being used the wrong way in ken norton's scheme

Smith did not cost us $40 mil. He had 2 years guaranteed, so if he fails this year he is gone with no more $$ going his way. And our front 7 was garbage last year outside of Mack, Irvin, and Perry. Give him a chance with MEJ coming back and Joseph being healthy. I see him and DA having better years this year w/a little help from other guys on the D.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: