You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is the Redskins DL that much better?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much has the Redskins DL improved?
A lot
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
It's worse because of the loss of Baker and RJF
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The DL will be about the same as the last 2 years
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
It's better but still not a lot better
68%
 68%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 19

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
Dashing wrote:
Chris baker was gonna be 29 years old and wasn't that god . I fail to even see why you guys are still upset about his departure. We have some guys like Lionidis that can be a starter down the like . We have some decent prospects to work with .

Baker wasn't a pro bowler or even a good player he was like honestly avg. let's wait atleast week 1 to see how these guys play out , heck either way if they suck we can draft another first round DL in 2018 and call it a day .

I agree with you about baker who was over rated by some fans and is basically an average guy who played lazy last year. But he was by far the best we had and would have been smarter to give him the deal he signed with Tampa

Iodonnis was bad last year- he had some of the poorest technique I can remember ( I've seen much advanced DL technique from high schoolers) and it's not all his fault because he didn't have a legitimate coach last year unless he was training to be a Starbucks barista.lets see how he looks this year

The issue with the DL is like Fletcher said in the Outlaw Josie Wales- " don't go pissing down my leg and tell me it's raining" THE REDSKINS HAVE been doing this forever over hyping and people get sick of having wet legs

There, fixed it for you. Wink I guess we'll have to see what happens. I think the Redskins improved their run defense on their DL over the last few years with the signings of McGee and McClain and the drafting of Allen. Then, when they drafted Allen they upgraded their pass rushing from their DL. So, overall, their DL will be better IMO but I don't expect their DL to be great. I think they'll be better than they've been since 2011 but still not a dominant DL.

Turtle an appropriate correction from Bruce to the Redskins

Bruce will now be defined in large part by Cousins. If he doesn't sign him it's Bruce's fault. If he signs him for too much and he under performs its Bruce's' fault, if he signs him and we win multiple Super Bowls it's to Danny's credit. Lol

Bruce, the master politician who has made a career pretending to be a football guy has miscalculated badly- he's now exposed himself violating a politicians cardinal rule- put somebody between you and a problem so they can be blamed. Shanny took the heat for Bobby Bust and nobody between bruce and a big potential problem with the cousins situation.
I disagree slightly. If Cousins isn't signed it's going to be Bruce's fault for sure, no doubt. Every GM/Team President in the NFL shares that burden. Everything you just described Can be said of every front office person/GM in the entire NFL.

I guess it's fun to make it all about Bruce, but it doesn't change that fact. Every GM/Team President is in the same position as us. The players they sign and draft must perform for them or eventually they'll be blames and be gone.

Also if Cousins and the team doesn't improve Gruden will be blamed, it won't just be Allen that will be blamed. Gruden will share a lot of the blame also.

Let's not forget also that Bruce did learn from his father, from Al Davis and others - like McCloughan's father - from when he was with the Raiders and from Jon Gruden and from Mike Shanahan.

He's definitely more of a business/marketing guy for the team but let's not act like he hasn't learned from some greats as well. He's made some pretty solid signings and draft picks to hopefully improve the team this offseason just like he did in 2014.

I guess that can continue to be ignored by those who would rather see Bruce fail than the Redskins team succeed but it shouldn't be.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Chris baker was gonna be 29 years old and wasn't that god . I fail to even see why you guys are still upset about his departure. We have some guys like Lionidis that can be a starter down the like . We have some decent prospects to work with .

Quickly scanning around, most pre-camp depth charts have Ioannidis projected as at least second string (one had him as 3rd string NT).

Think about this for a second: if the Redskins liked what they had seen in Ioannidis, why would they have signed two separate defensive linemen (and draft a third)? Sure, the value proposition for Jonathan Allen screamed for the move but the other two? Consider further that unless there is an injury, Ioannidis is unlikely to get first team reps. This in turn means that the training investment in him is going to be less, which means he's less likely to be ready to hit the field.

In short: unless he gets lucky (going to require an injury to one of the top line guys), he's probably not long for the team.

Quote:
Baker wasn't a pro bowler or even a good player he was like honestly avg. let's wait atleast week 1 to see how these guys play out , heck either way if they suck we can draft another first round DL in 2018 and call it a day .

If they suck, then it's likely another season out of the playoffs. That in turn means that people will blame Kirk Cousins, which will likely make him leave (if he won't already), which will lead to a collapse in 2018 and a reshuffle of the entire team with "hopes" of a rebuild in 2019 and going forward. And that assumes they can find a QB replacement for Kirk Cousins in the draft because they will not be able to find one on the roster currently or in free agency.

Is that perhaps dire, "sky is falling" prediction? Sure. But it's not that far from reality.
Woz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
Dashing wrote:

I agree with you about baker who was over rated by some fans and is basically an average guy who played lazy last year. But he was by far the best we had and would have been smarter to give him the deal he signed with Tampa

Iodonnis was bad last year- he had some of the poorest technique I can remember ( I've seen much advanced DL technique from high schoolers) and it's not all his fault because he didn't have a legitimate coach last year unless he was training to be a Starbucks barista.lets see how he looks this year

The issue with the DL is like Fletcher said in the Outlaw Josie Wales- " don't go pissing down my leg and tell me it's raining" THE REDSKINS HAVE been doing this forever over hyping and people get sick of having wet legs

There, fixed it for you. Wink I guess we'll have to see what happens. I think the Redskins improved their run defense on their DL over the last few years with the signings of McGee and McClain and the drafting of Allen. Then, when they drafted Allen they upgraded their pass rushing from their DL. So, overall, their DL will be better IMO but I don't expect their DL to be great. I think they'll be better than they've been since 2011 but still not a dominant DL.

Turtle an appropriate correction from Bruce to the Redskins

Bruce will now be defined in large part by Cousins. If he doesn't sign him it's Bruce's fault. If he signs him for too much and he under performs its Bruce's' fault, if he signs him and we win multiple Super Bowls it's to Danny's credit. Lol

Bruce, the master politician who has made a career pretending to be a football guy has miscalculated badly- he's now exposed himself violating a politicians cardinal rule- put somebody between you and a problem so they can be blamed. Shanny took the heat for Bobby Bust and nobody between bruce and a big potential problem with the cousins situation.
I disagree slightly. If Cousins isn't signed it's going to be Bruce's fault for sure, no doubt. Every GM/Team President in the NFL shares that burden. Everything you just described Can be said of every front office person/GM in the entire NFL.

I guess it's fun to make it all about Bruce, but it doesn't change that fact. Every GM/Team President is in the same position as us. The players they sign and draft must perform for them or eventually they'll be blames and be gone.

Except that Cousins has performed but not been signed (and if you think he will be in the next 12 days ... well ... I cannot help you).

Outside of the Chargers in 2006 when they Drew Brees walk (and he had a labrum tear in his shoulder, which they thought might be career ending), what front office has let their QB walk out the door like this?

Quote:
Also if Cousins and the team doesn't improve Gruden will be blamed, it won't just be Allen that will be blamed. Gruden will share a lot of the blame also.

Let's not forget also that Bruce did learn from his father, from Al Davis and others - like McCloughan's father - from when he was with the Raiders and from Jon Gruden and from Mike Shanahan.

He's definitely more of a business/marketing guy for the team but let's not act like he hasn't learned from some greats as well. He's made some pretty solid signings and draft picks to hopefully improve the team this offseason just like he did in 2014.

You keep harping on Allen's 2014 free agent class. Let's consider who Allen brought in (it's not hard to keep your own guys):
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2003370-ranking-the-2014-impact-of-redskins-free-agent-signings-so-far
- Jason Hatcher
- Akeem Jordan
- Shawn Lauvao
- Brandon Meriweather
- Tracy Porter
- Andre Roberts

That was going to be our free agent class in 2014. Only Lauvao made it past two years, and I suspect the majority of the board wishes he had not.

Then the Eagles inexplicably cut DeSean Jackson, and we smothered him. However, that was not planned (in part because no one thought he would be available). So, one success that he couldn't even plan for. That's to be celebrated?

"But the draft!" you say. He got Moses (his winning pick) and Long (his second win, if Long is re-signed), Breeland (looked good originally but has devolved, may be gone after this season), and Murphy (man without a position/place on the team, likely gone). Rest of the draft is dust in the wind.

Quote:
I guess that can continue to be ignored by those who would rather see Bruce fail than the Redskins team succeed but it shouldn't be.

I would love to see Allen succeed. I just haven't seen any evidence to date. What I have seen is Allen run out arguably the best talent evaluator we've had in decades as well as botch re-signing the best QB we've had since Rypien. Where is the success that I am not celebrating? To Allen's credit, I think he did a fair amount to paper over the mistakes that were patently obvious from last season. Of course, most of the moves have been one year band aids that could be gone next.
Slappy Mc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWLOWPRl7hm/

I hope this guy makes the roster. Looks like an absolute animal.
mike23md

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slappy Mc wrote:

If anyone to pull for its Pipkins. With that said, I would also like to see Joey Mbu get a shot. Ioannidis (?) doesn't seem to be that motivated and Phil Taylor has never been able to get it or be motivated.

So.

Someone please stand up and take the NT position.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Slappy Mc wrote:

If anyone to pull for its Pipkins. With that said, I would also like to see Joey Mbu get a shot. Ioannidis (?) doesn't seem to be that motivated and Phil Taylor has never been able to get it or be motivated.

So.

Someone please stand up and take the NT position.
I'm defintely pulling for Pipkins, Mbu and Ioannidis to make the team and to be answers at NT.

I'm not sure I believe the "Ioannidis doesn't seem to be motivated," I've never heard that before. I've only heard he is a hard worker, a lunch pale guy and he made improvements throughout last season. He has development and work to do for sure, but most 5th round picks do in their rookie seasons and going into their 2nd and even 3rd seasons until they're developed and really ready to contribute as a main rotational piece or even starter.

For me, I still think McGee can play NT - he did in Oakland - and yes, the way our NT playsin our defense is the same way most 4-3 NTs are used. I can also see Phil Taylor will doing enough to make the team, and maybe even winning the starting job.

I have a lot less faith in the 3 young guys than I do the 2 veterans. Taylor and McGee have a lot to prove, but it's 10 fold that for the young guys.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good read about the DL right here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/07/07/training-camp-position-battles-redskins-still-seeking-clarity-along-defensive-line/?utm_term=.95df5877871a&wpisrc=nl_sports&wpmm=1

Quote:
McClain and McGee didnít appear to have set roles during offseason practices, but that is likely to change once camp begins. Both worked primarily with the second units while rotating in here and there with the first unit as they learned the system.

Nose tackle remains a mystery for the Redskins. Look for Taylor, possibly Hood and two 2016 practice squad members, Joey Mbu and A.J. Francis, to compete for that starting job.

Mbu, an undrafted Houston product, actually received more first-team reps at nose tackle during offseason practices. However, Taylor ó the 21st overall pick of the 2011 draft ó has more experience, as does Hood.

Itís very possible that McGee winds up joining the mix at nose because of his experience there. A three-man front of Allen and McClain at the end positions and McGee at the nose could emerge as the strongest trio.

The most promising of the mix: end Anthony Lanier, who showed some flashes as an undrafted rookie, and is significantly stronger and noticeably bigger entering his second season out of Alabama A&M. Lanier will see the field often this season. But for now, he seems unlikely to start based on coach Jay Grudenís comments following offseason practices.

ďThereís first and second down that he has to continue to get better at, but he does have a niche as far as being a third-down rusher, inside rusher that we need,Ē Gruden said. ďSo heís continuing to get better. Heís always in here lifting. Heís getting stronger. I think heís 290 pounds already. He came in about 270. Thatís not fat, itís all muscle. We love his progress and we think heís got a great future.Ē

Another second-year pro, Matt Ioannidis, appears stronger and more confident with a year and another offseason under his belt.

Doc Draper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/07/07/training-camp-position-battles-redskins-still-seeking-clarity-along-defensive-line/?utm_term=.95df5877871a&wpisrc=nl_sports&wpmm=1

Quote:
McClain and McGee didnít appear to have set roles during offseason practices, but that is likely to change once camp begins. Both worked primarily with the second units while rotating in here and there with the first unit as they learned the system.

Nose tackle remains a mystery for the Redskins. Look for Taylor, possibly Hood and two 2016 practice squad members, Joey Mbu and A.J. Francis, to compete for that starting job.

Mbu, an undrafted Houston product, actually received more first-team reps at nose tackle during offseason practices. However, Taylor ó the 21st overall pick of the 2011 draft ó has more experience, as does Hood.

Itís very possible that McGee winds up joining the mix at nose because of his experience there. A three-man front of Allen and McClain at the end positions and McGee at the nose could emerge as the strongest trio.

The most promising of the mix: end Anthony Lanier, who showed some flashes as an undrafted rookie, and is significantly stronger and noticeably bigger entering his second season out of Alabama A&M. Lanier will see the field often this season. But for now, he seems unlikely to start based on coach Jay Grudenís comments following offseason practices.

ďThereís first and second down that he has to continue to get better at, but he does have a niche as far as being a third-down rusher, inside rusher that we need,Ē Gruden said. ďSo heís continuing to get better. Heís always in here lifting. Heís getting stronger. I think heís 290 pounds already. He came in about 270. Thatís not fat, itís all muscle. We love his progress and we think heís got a great future.Ē

Another second-year pro, Matt Ioannidis, appears stronger and more confident with a year and another offseason under his belt.

How is this acceptable? You are clueless about 2/3s of the defensive snaps as to who will play nose? Competent organizations have a plan, ours is a wing and a prayer but again it's all about selling hope and tickets and nothing else so it doesn't matter. Do you think NE or Green Bay or Carolina or Pitts or Seattle would do want we have and continue to do? Ahhh Nope.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
Dashing wrote:

Quickly scanning around, most pre-camp depth charts have Ioannidis projected as at least second string (one had him as 3rd string NT).

Think about this for a second: if the Redskins liked what they had seen in Ioannidis, why would they have signed two separate defensive linemen (and draft a third)? Sure, the value proposition for Jonathan Allen screamed for the move but the other two? Consider further that unless there is an injury, Ioannidis is unlikely to get first team reps. This in turn means that the training investment in him is going to be less, which means he's less likely to be ready to hit the field.
What? You're going to the exact extreme opposite from where he's coming from for absolutely zero reason. No one is claiming Ioannidis is an answer at NT or DE for this season. Dashing clearly stated we have him and other young inexperienced guys developing for the future that could be starters and we do. Even though that's the case though we clearly needed starter quality players. That's why we signed McCLain and McGee and of course we aren't going to pass on Allen in the draft. Allen filled on of our biggest needs and he was one of/if not the best player available. You certainly can't be suggesting we should have not signed anyone and had Ioannidis as a projected starter? Can you?

Come on man! Laughing

Quote:
In short: unless he gets lucky (going to require an injury to one of the top line guys), he's probably not long for the team.
I don't know how you come to that conclusion, he most certainly can be a back up at DE & NT for this team in coming years. Certainly we can't know that for sure today, but it's also a reach to claim he's probably not not going to be here long. We just don't know that right now. We'll learn a lot more over the next month and a half.

Quote:

Quote:
If they suck, then it's likely another season out of the playoffs. That in turn means that people will blame Kirk Cousins, which will likely make him leave (if he won't already), which will lead to a collapse in 2018 and a reshuffle of the entire team with "hopes" of a rebuild in 2019 and going forward. And that assumes they can find a QB replacement for Kirk Cousins in the draft because they will not be able to find one on the roster currently or in free agency.

Is that perhaps dire, "sky is falling" prediction? Sure. But it's not that far from reality.
Totally agree here, man I hope that doesn't happen. I really think our D is going to be average this year, like ranked in the teens and then our offense will be a little more balanced which will help the passing game and Cousins overall. But it could all go bad as well.

turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Quote:

How is this acceptable? You are clueless about 2/3s of the defensive snaps as to who will play nose? Competent organizations have a plan, ours is a wing and a prayer but again it's all about selling hope and tickets and nothing else so it doesn't matter. Do you think NE or Green Bay or Carolina or Pitts or Seattle would do want we have and continue to do? Ahhh Nope.
Out of that entire article which you probably didn't read, only the part that I quoted and displayed for you, that's what you came up with to comment on?

Man! I swear some of you all just complain to complain. So sad.

They're basing this off of mini-camps & OTAs in May/June, this happens all the time. My guess is that Tomsula knows what he has in McClain & McGee - after all it was his recommendation to sign those two in free agency - and he wants to see more of the other guys to evaluate them more. Those other guys are fighting for 2 or 3 roster spots this offseason, he wants to see them the most early on in the offseason to evaluate them and teach them.

You're also wrong about you're guess that other organizations don't do the same thing we're doing with playing these young guys more early in the offseason and giving the older vets less work. They all do it, you're totally off base in you're guessing here.

Doc Draper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I probably do get too grouchy with the state of my favorite team. I like Tomsula and let's see if he can turn chickensh@t into a nice chicken salad

That Lanier kid is intriguing. Iadonnis is hopeless and my friends in Cleveland tell me Taylor is as committed to football as Al Haynesworth (choosing to spend his time pursuing other nightlife ) but he has "made it rain"
several times at Christie's VIP but so have I Smile
MKnight82

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should consider signing Jared Odrick, he remains unsigned. He was injured last year but has the athleticism a lot of our DEs are missing.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
Woz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Woz wrote:
Dashing wrote:

What? You're going to the exact extreme opposite from where he's coming from for absolutely zero reason. No one is claiming Ioannidis is an answer at NT or DE for this season. Dashing clearly stated we have him and other young inexperienced guys developing for the future that could be starters and we do. Even though that's the case though we clearly needed starter quality players. That's why we signed McCLain and McGee and of course we aren't going to pass on Allen in the draft. Allen filled on of our biggest needs and he was one of/if not the best player available. You certainly can't be suggesting we should have not signed anyone and had Ioannidis as a projected starter? Can you?

Come on man! Laughing

Umm, no. I said that the Redskins obviously do not think much of Ioannidis because they signed two guys and drafted a third all that nominally play at his position. They have also picked up other cast off free agents in the form of Mbu and Taylor.

In short, they seem to be doing their best to make sure Ioannidis gets limited reps and thus does NOT develop.

With the exception of (hopefully) Allen, we don't have starting quality 3-4 defensive linemen on this roster. Don't tell me that McClain and McGee started in Dallas and Oakland. Both teams run a 4-3. Maybe they'll work out, but dumping the only guy who actually was worth a hill of beans the past couple of years as a 3-4 defensive lineman was stupid. To say that young guys like Ioannidis or Lanier will grow to replace him is Pollyanna-ish optimism when they've tried to grab JAG band-aids to get reps.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how you come to that conclusion, he most certainly can be a back up at DE & NT for this team in coming years. Certainly we can't know that for sure today, but it's also a reach to claim he's probably not not going to be here long. We just don't know that right now. We'll learn a lot more over the next month and a half.

A backup != a starter
A backup does not generally get reps in order to improve their craft.
A backup does not generally suddenly become a starter barring injury (or high draft position, which Ioannidis doesn't have).

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Totally agree here, man I hope that doesn't happen. I really think our D is going to be average this year, like ranked in the teens and then our offense will be a little more balanced which will help the passing game and Cousins overall. But it could all go bad as well.

If the defense is better and the Redskins make the playoffs and win a game, then the price goes up even further (even assume if Cousins would sign at this point, which I think is wishful thinking).
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't play a traditional 3-4. Just stop people. I can't understand why no one gets it. Our 3-4 NT plays the same exact look as a 4-3 NT which is the position that Stacy McGee played in Oakland. Terrelle McCalin is a 3 technique, newsflash! That's the position that Baker played in our 3-4 defense the last two years and the same position/technique that the other DT plays in the 4-3.

Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
We don't play a traditional 3-4. Just stop people. I can't understand why no one gets it. Our 3-4 NT plays the same exact look as a 4-3 NT which is the position that Stacy McGee played in Oakland. Terrelle McCalin is a 3 technique, newsflash! That's the position that Baker played in our 3-4 defense the last two years and the same position/technique that the other DT plays in the 4-3.

See? I told you that someone would be along to tell us that we don't play a traditional 3-4.

So how's that working out for us Turtle?

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: