You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Doctson will have to earn his starting spot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

Josh Doctson trying to earn starting job. ‪Jay Gruden explains why Josh Doctson isn't playing with Redskins 1st team offense, yet:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/jay-gruden-explains-why-josh-doctson-isnt-playing-redskins-1st-team-offense-yet?utm_content=buffere8b97&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

At this point it shouldn't shock anyone that Doctson isn't getting starting reps right now. Ryan Grant is getting the reps as the starting wr at this point and I think the only reason is because he's the most experienced receiver on the Redskins roster. Remember guys, it's June, this means very little at this point. I fully expect Doctson to be the starter opposite Pryor in September for week 1 vs Philadelphia.

Quote:
2016 first-round pick Josh Doctson, however, was on the sideline. Instead, fourth-year wideout Ryan Grant took the field with the first unit as the third receiver.

"They’re both good receivers. They’re both going to play," Washington head coach Jay Gruden said about Doctson and Grant. "The good thing about Ryan is that he can play all over the place."

Gruden explained that the Redskins are focused on teaching Doctson to play the "Z" receiver position. Considering he played in just two games as a rookie and caught only two balls, much of Doctson's work this offseason is like beginning from square one. The Z receiver usually plays on the strong side of the field off the line of scrimmage, with the "X" working alone on the other side of the offense.

"He can play both, but right now we’re trying to start him at Z and see how it goes. That would be the plan," Gruden said.

Pryor is locked into the X receiver role, that much looks certain. It seems like Grant taking snaps with the first team is more about rewarding his hard work and knowledge of the offense than an actual prediction of playing time come September.

If Doctson is healthy, and according to Gruden he is, he will line up opposite Pryor Week 1 against the Eagles. The flashes of speed, skill and smooth route running the former TCU star has shown in OTAs all but assures that.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Josh Doctson trying to earn starting job

‬http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/jay-gruden-explains-why-josh-doctson-isnt-playing-redskins-1st-team-offense-yet?utm_content=buffere8b97&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

At this point it shouldn't shock anyone that Doctson isn't getting starting reps right now. Ryan Grant is getting the reps as the starting wr at this point and I think the only reason is because he's the most experienced receiver on the Redskins roster. Remember guys, it's June, this means very little at this point. I fully expect Doctson to be the starter opposite Pryor in September for week 1 vs Philadelphia.

Quote:
2016 first-round pick Josh Doctson, however, was on the sideline. Instead, fourth-year wideout Ryan Grant took the field with the first unit as the third receiver.

"They’re both good receivers. They’re both going to play," Washington head coach Jay Gruden said about Doctson and Grant. "The good thing about Ryan is that he can play all over the place."

Gruden explained that the Redskins are focused on teaching Doctson to play the "Z" receiver position. Considering he played in just two games as a rookie and caught only two balls, much of Doctson's work this offseason is like beginning from square one. The Z receiver usually plays on the strong side of the field off the line of scrimmage, with the "X" working alone on the other side of the offense.

"He can play both, but right now we’re trying to start him at Z and see how it goes. That would be the plan," Gruden said.

Pryor is locked into the X receiver role, that much looks certain. It seems like Grant taking snaps with the first team is more about rewarding his hard work and knowledge of the offense than an actual prediction of playing time come September.

If Doctson is healthy, and according to Gruden he is, he will line up opposite Pryor Week 1 against the Eagles. The flashes of speed, skill and smooth route running the former TCU star has shown in OTAs all but assures that.

If he can't best out grant Katie bar the door - bustin loose bootsy and the rubber gang style. If you weren't in the 70's or of your some millennial snowflake you're prob saying - doc drunk. And you're right but if you are from 60 or 70's you might understand lol

Thunderstruck! Smile
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

‬http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/jay-gruden-explains-why-josh-doctson-isnt-playing-redskins-1st-team-offense-yet?utm_content=buffere8b97&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Quote:

If he can't best out grant Katie bar the door - bustin loose bootsy and the rubber gang style. If you weren't in the 70's or of your some millennial snowflake you're prob saying - doc drunk. And you're right but if you are from 60 or 70's you might understand lol

Thunderstruck! Smile
I think they are right for bringing him along slowly, making him learn the Z receiver position and everything that he has to do before giving him the starting job.

Also, I realize Grant isn't the greatest athlete but I still have no doubt that if he did have to be our starter that it wouldn't be the end of the world. He and Cousins have great chemistry, always have since Grant was drafted in 2014. He's not perfect, but if he gets more playing time he could be an average receiver. As I showed before in 2015 he didn't do that poorly as a starter, he had one play where he fell down and it was intercepted and returned for a TD, sometimes that happens. It was also a ball that should have never been thrown by Cousins but still it wasn't like Grant was atrocious when he had to start when Djax missed the first half of the season with his hamstring injury.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as he should

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Quote:

Thunderstruck! Smile
I think they are right for bringing him along slowly, making him learn the Z receiver position and everything that he has to do before giving him the starting job.

Also, I realize Grant isn't the greatest athlete but I still have no doubt that if he did have to be our starter that it wouldn't be the end of the world. He and Cousins have great chemistry, always have since Grant was drafted in 2014. He's not perfect, but if he gets more playing time he could be an average receiver. As I showed before in 2015 he didn't do that poorly as a starter, he had one play where he fell down and it was intercepted and returned for a TD, sometimes that happens. It was also a ball that should have never been thrown by Cousins but still it wasn't like Grant was atrocious when he had to start when Djax missed the first half of the season with his hamstring injury.

1. He makes Andre Roberts and Rod Gardner look like they had hands of glue.

2. If he gets more playing time, he can become an average receiver? Why would you keep him on the roster then, much less give him on the playing time? Toss him out and see if a kid like Mo Harris can give you something.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Doctson will have to earn his starting spot Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Quote:

Thunderstruck! Smile

1. He makes Andre Roberts and Rod Gardner look like they had hands of glue.

2. If he gets more playing time, he can become an average receiver? Why would you keep him on the roster then, much less give him on the playing time? Toss him out and see if a kid like Mo Harris can give you something.
Grant hasn't dropped that many passes, not nearly as many as 50/50 and Droperts. He dropped a few vs Phila in 2015 when it was really wet that game - no excuse just saying - and he dropped one or two last year in spot duty. I think he can be better with more playing time but hopefully it doesn't come to that because Doctson does great.

I said why Grant is getting the practice time and first team reps. The reasons that Gruden gave are valid, you may not agree with them because you "hope" a guy with less experience could be better but at this point Gruden wants the guy out there running with the 1s who knows the offense the best, runs the best routes and has the best chemistry with Kirk Cousins - other than Crowder - and at the moment that is Ryan Grant.

Mo Harris is getting his chance, it's clear the coaches like him also. Right now it's about competing to make the roster, there's no reason that Grant shouldn't be in that competition along with Harris, Robert Davis, Brian Quick, Kendall Thompson and others.

We'll see what happens, may the best 2 or 3 guys make the roster as the last few WRs.

Slateman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant hasn't dropped as many passes because he's never open in game.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Grant hasn't dropped as many passes because he's never open in game.
Except in 2015 when he started just 5 games and had 23 recs with 2 TDs right?

He had a big TD in our comeback in the "code red game" against Tampa that year. If he doesn't catch that TD pass, maybe Cousins is eventually benched for Mccoy and isn't even on the team now.

Expecting Grant to be a starter or to have gotten a lot of chances to play given who's been in front of him since we drafted him in 2014 is really unrealistic. He is what he is, a good 4th option that could be upgraded if our others guy's competing with him this offseason out perform him, and that's it.

HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how many times Grant slips and falls while doing household chores.

mike23md on the sig
Jeezy Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me on board the "If you can't beat out Ryan Grant for first team reps, you're a gigantic bust" bandwagon as well

Sig by Mike23md

"Don't need the accolades, just need the acknowledgement"
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
I wonder how many times Grant slips and falls while doing household chores.
He and Maurice Harris are blood brothers.

Hey, didn't Kirk Cousins say that pass vs Atl was his fault? Looked like a a total mix up not he play and Kirk should have thrown it away after he got pressure in his face right away but he just lofted a softball out there when his wr was running an in breaking route and Cousins threw the ball to the outside but hey, it's whatever.

Doc Draper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see how he holds up after 2 weeks of camp. His health is a big question mark as back to back practices (even at Spa Gruden) are a lot different that OTA's. He has a lot of skill, but you have to run to be able to score

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtle28, defending the scrubs on the team since 2007.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Turtle28, defending the scrubs on the team since 2007.
I've been a member since 2002, and maybe before. I found this site at the computer lab when I was in college. It was just under a different screen name and I forgot my password in between 05-07. When Sean Taylor died in 07 I created Turtle28 because I forgot the password to my other screen name and became really active again.

Saying someone can be average and improve that's a young player shouldn't be frowned upon by Redskins fans who are two quick to give up on players and two quick to say a player sucks just to be a hater. Young and developing players will make some mistakes, the hope is they grow and learn from them and become better footballs players in the long run.

This forum is called footballs future for a reason and the main reason is for fans to believe & hope that young players can develop into something better than they currently are.

If that makes me a poor fan of my team then so be it. I'd rather point out what players do well than to always point out what they do wrong and to be a negative nancy all the time about my favorite football team. Some of you all have no faith in development of young players, or players bouncing back from a poor season or an injury just like 99% of Redskins Nation and in particular this board is the worst at it.

Keep hating on MkNight, you do such a great job at it! Laughing

Oh and keep worrying about me having a positive outlook on this team and young players in particular. It seems many times you care more about that and calling me out as some over optimistic fool than actually talking about football. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by turtle28 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh brother

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: