You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 30 Running Backs of All Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn0mm1s wrote:
Posted this a couple of years ago... only a top 20 list but meh.

I have written a lot on RB rankings over the years... I could probably cut and paste a dissertation on debunking Barry Sanders myths from my posts around the web. As with my other rankings I will almost never put a player #1 if the majority of their career was played prior to 1975. I am especially harsh in regards to this with RBs because they truly are trying to physically beat multiple players on nearly every rush. I am not as impressed with players that are compilers nor am I that impressed with YFS if large portion of that is routinely receiving yards. Surrounding talent means a lot as does how other runners on the same team performed. I don't factor in wins or rings with RBs (like I do with QBs) because I have yet to see a RB make a team a contender on his own. I am not a big fan of short yardage TDs because they are easy to get. I apologize in advance for the run on sentences and poor grammar... this is the internet.

1) Barry Sanders - easily the #1 for me. No player has done more with less. He averaged 5 YPC in the toughest era to run in judged by YPC. While he played the average non-QB rush (excluding Sanders) was under 4 YPC (I believe it was 3.8 or 3.9) and this is the lowest in NFL history among players with over 1800 career carries. He took the highest % of his team's non-QB carries (IIRC something around 86%). And, when I last checked, he was in the top 3 in % of team passes to RBs. He also scored the same % of non-QB rushing TDs for the Lions as Emmitt did for the Cowboys. All of those debunk the myths that he was pulled in passing downs, pulled in goal line situations, and pulled in 3rd downs. He also made the greatest impact as a rookie. The prior 4 years to Barry arriving on the Lions they were the worst rushing team in the NFL (all 4 of those years the Lions had Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover) he took them from literal worst in the NFL to first in the NFL in multiple categories. He played the majority of his career without a TE or FB and when he did finally get a standard offense all he did was rush for 2K yards averaging 6.1 YPC. He also had another season where he ran for 1800+ yards at a 5.7 YPC while non-QB league average was 3.7 YPC. He is also one of only 2 RBs in the HOF (the other being Floyd Little) that never played with another HOF and never played with a QB that got an AP or pro bowl nod.

2) Walter Payton - Another guy who did a lot with very little. He was a great runner and a good receiver. He also ran very hard for a guy that was only around 210.

3) Jim Brown - I think the era he played it was very weak compared to modern players. He makes it this far due to the fact that he was so dominant during his time - though some of the dominance was purely because he was taking 20 carries a game when 90% of the league was RBBC. Brown was really only competing against one *maybe* two other players in a season. Also, Bobby Mitchell, had a higher YPC and scored TDs at a greater rate while on the same team. He was also surrounded by HOFers (unlike the first 2 on the list).

4) Emmitt Smith - I think many underrate Smith (as with other RBs that played in the 1990s). The 1990s was a difficult decade to run in. Emmitt had an amazing peak and obviously his longevity is unmatched.

5) Tomlinson - I think the next 4 could be put in any order - but since I am forced to choose LT gets in at #5. I do think Marty liked padding his TD totals, but you still can't argue with the overall production of Tomlinson. Also, the reason LT gets the nod over the next 3 guys is the fact that he just didn't put the ball on the turf.

6) Eric Dickerson - probably the most underrated of the great RBs. His running ability is better than LT but he did fumble quite a bit more. I am not positive, but I don't think there is anyone that matches his first 4 years in the league. The guy was a monster.

7) OJ Simpson - yes, he killed people - probably - but he was awesome on the field. He was misused early in his career which hurts his career totals. He played in that sort of transitional period in the NFL so I knock him down a bit for that. However, his peak seasons really can't be matched.

Cool Marshall Faulk - Faulk has always been difficult for me to place. He was a borderline bust on the Colts (considering where he was drafted and what was expected out of him). He put up one of the worst rushing seasons ever at the age of 23 with RBs among RBs taking a similar number of carries (yes I know he had some toe issues). Faulk also got to play with some decent talent on the Colts. The Colts (not that recent history has shown the Colts know much about RBs) traded him for pennies if they really thought he was a HOFer. Edge came in as a rookie and had a better rushing season that Faulk ever had on the Colts. All that said, once he was in an offense that gave him space to work in he was unstoppable. His peak was so great that when most of us think of Faulk we think of the 3 healthy seasons he had for the Rams rather than the 4 he had on the Colts.

9) Earl Campbell - dominant for a short stretch. However, even though I am not a big proponent of YFS, the guy just didn't catch the ball. In fact, he never even scored a receiving TD his entire career.

10) Adrian Peterson - at one point I thought Peterson would break into the top 5 but I don't think so any longer. This past decade or so has been much easier to run in (judged by YPC) than previous decades so I am not as impressed with his 5.0 YPC in today's game that seems to focus on passing with running being an after thought.

11) Joe Perry - Imagine there was no Jim Brown. If there was no Jim Brown, Joe Perry would've held the all time rushing mark from 1955 to 1976 - over 20 years. Perry also had some amazing longevity considering the medical advancements during the time he played.

12) Thurman Thomas - Imagine there was no Marshall Faulk etc. etc. Thurman had an amazing 4 year stretch with the Bills. I am pretty sure he is the only RB that led the league in YFS for 4 straight years. It is unfortunate for his legacy that Faulk was putting up his crazy numbers right as Thurman was exiting the league. There was a time in the early 90s where if you asked: "Who is the best RB in the NFL?" most people would agree that the answer: "I don't know but he played for Ok St." was a correct one.

13) Franco Harris - was a key cog in the Steelers' dynasty when running the ball was the thing to do.

14) Corey Dillon - my controversial pick. I think, talentwise, Dillon is a HOFer. He played 7 years on a horrible Bengals team that never even managed a winning record but he rushed for over 1000 yards for his first 6 seasons and even broke Walter Payton's 20+ year old single game record against the #1 rushing D in the league at the time. He gets labeled a malcontent, goes to the Patriots, and when he finally has a decent team around him he sets career highs in both rushing and TDs at the age of 30. I am not sure how many RBs set career highs in both those stats over the age of 30 - but it can't be many. Surrounding talent can have a dramatic effect on RB production and I think Dillon got the short end of the stick during his prime and is still a top 20 all time rusher.

15) Curtis Martin - my gut tells me that Martin isn't a HOFer and that he was a compiler. Similar to Jerome Bettis, his career YPC is below league average for RBs while he played. However, if he is a compiler, then he is the greatest compiler the game has ever seen - and the guy just didn't fumble. He is the guy that is really hard for me to place.

16) Tony Dorsett - great player on great teams. He never really led the league in anything and that is a mark against him since he played on some good teams. He would be higher on my list if he didn't fumble as often as he scored.

17) Terrell Davis - I think the Bronco's system makes the RB look much better than he actually is. Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Droughns, and Portis all looked great in that Denver system. Portis, at the same point in their careers, actually looked better. Davis gets this position because there isn't a better post season runner ever - system or not. What the guy accomplished in the post season is nothing short of amazing.

1Cool Edgerrin James - A workhorse back that could both run and catch. It is unfortunate that he probably won't make the HOF.

19) Tiki Barber - Another underrated back that peaked basically as he was exiting the league. He had some great rushing and YFS seasons and, what many don't realize, is that aside from Barber the Giants were absolutely horrible at running the ball. I am pretty sure that compared to his teammates, Barber has one of the most significant improvement in YPC in the history of the NFL.

20) Gale Sayers - career is too short, no matter how good, for me to put him above the others.

-------- Those I left off:
Bettis - never led the league in anything, YPC was below league average for his career, for being a short yardage RB he rarely broke double digit TDs, was never considered one of the best in the league.
Allen - yes he had a good year or two - but playing like a 30 year old Tomlinson for a dozen years makes you a compiler in my book.
Bo Jackson - Couldn't stay healthy in college, couldn't stay healthy in the pros, got to come in midseason rested (comparatively), wasn't much of a receiver, Jamaal Charles had similar numbers at the same # of games in their careers IIRC and no one is putting Charles in their top 20 list (though he may deserve it more than Peterson in a few years)

Jackson belongs nowhere near these lists.
sn0mm1s

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:

I have written a lot on RB rankings over the years... I could probably cut and paste a dissertation on debunking Barry Sanders myths from my posts around the web. As with my other rankings I will almost never put a player #1 if the majority of their career was played prior to 1975. I am especially harsh in regards to this with RBs because they truly are trying to physically beat multiple players on nearly every rush. I am not as impressed with players that are compilers nor am I that impressed with YFS if large portion of that is routinely receiving yards. Surrounding talent means a lot as does how other runners on the same team performed. I don't factor in wins or rings with RBs (like I do with QBs) because I have yet to see a RB make a team a contender on his own. I am not a big fan of short yardage TDs because they are easy to get. I apologize in advance for the run on sentences and poor grammar... this is the internet.

1) Barry Sanders - easily the #1 for me. No player has done more with less. He averaged 5 YPC in the toughest era to run in judged by YPC. While he played the average non-QB rush (excluding Sanders) was under 4 YPC (I believe it was 3.8 or 3.9) and this is the lowest in NFL history among players with over 1800 career carries. He took the highest % of his team's non-QB carries (IIRC something around 86%). And, when I last checked, he was in the top 3 in % of team passes to RBs. He also scored the same % of non-QB rushing TDs for the Lions as Emmitt did for the Cowboys. All of those debunk the myths that he was pulled in passing downs, pulled in goal line situations, and pulled in 3rd downs. He also made the greatest impact as a rookie. The prior 4 years to Barry arriving on the Lions they were the worst rushing team in the NFL (all 4 of those years the Lions had Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover) he took them from literal worst in the NFL to first in the NFL in multiple categories. He played the majority of his career without a TE or FB and when he did finally get a standard offense all he did was rush for 2K yards averaging 6.1 YPC. He also had another season where he ran for 1800+ yards at a 5.7 YPC while non-QB league average was 3.7 YPC. He is also one of only 2 RBs in the HOF (the other being Floyd Little) that never played with another HOF and never played with a QB that got an AP or pro bowl nod.

2) Walter Payton - Another guy who did a lot with very little. He was a great runner and a good receiver. He also ran very hard for a guy that was only around 210.

3) Jim Brown - I think the era he played it was very weak compared to modern players. He makes it this far due to the fact that he was so dominant during his time - though some of the dominance was purely because he was taking 20 carries a game when 90% of the league was RBBC. Brown was really only competing against one *maybe* two other players in a season. Also, Bobby Mitchell, had a higher YPC and scored TDs at a greater rate while on the same team. He was also surrounded by HOFers (unlike the first 2 on the list).

4) Emmitt Smith - I think many underrate Smith (as with other RBs that played in the 1990s). The 1990s was a difficult decade to run in. Emmitt had an amazing peak and obviously his longevity is unmatched.

5) Tomlinson - I think the next 4 could be put in any order - but since I am forced to choose LT gets in at #5. I do think Marty liked padding his TD totals, but you still can't argue with the overall production of Tomlinson. Also, the reason LT gets the nod over the next 3 guys is the fact that he just didn't put the ball on the turf.

6) Eric Dickerson - probably the most underrated of the great RBs. His running ability is better than LT but he did fumble quite a bit more. I am not positive, but I don't think there is anyone that matches his first 4 years in the league. The guy was a monster.

7) OJ Simpson - yes, he killed people - probably - but he was awesome on the field. He was misused early in his career which hurts his career totals. He played in that sort of transitional period in the NFL so I knock him down a bit for that. However, his peak seasons really can't be matched.

Cool Marshall Faulk - Faulk has always been difficult for me to place. He was a borderline bust on the Colts (considering where he was drafted and what was expected out of him). He put up one of the worst rushing seasons ever at the age of 23 with RBs among RBs taking a similar number of carries (yes I know he had some toe issues). Faulk also got to play with some decent talent on the Colts. The Colts (not that recent history has shown the Colts know much about RBs) traded him for pennies if they really thought he was a HOFer. Edge came in as a rookie and had a better rushing season that Faulk ever had on the Colts. All that said, once he was in an offense that gave him space to work in he was unstoppable. His peak was so great that when most of us think of Faulk we think of the 3 healthy seasons he had for the Rams rather than the 4 he had on the Colts.

9) Earl Campbell - dominant for a short stretch. However, even though I am not a big proponent of YFS, the guy just didn't catch the ball. In fact, he never even scored a receiving TD his entire career.

10) Adrian Peterson - at one point I thought Peterson would break into the top 5 but I don't think so any longer. This past decade or so has been much easier to run in (judged by YPC) than previous decades so I am not as impressed with his 5.0 YPC in today's game that seems to focus on passing with running being an after thought.

11) Joe Perry - Imagine there was no Jim Brown. If there was no Jim Brown, Joe Perry would've held the all time rushing mark from 1955 to 1976 - over 20 years. Perry also had some amazing longevity considering the medical advancements during the time he played.

12) Thurman Thomas - Imagine there was no Marshall Faulk etc. etc. Thurman had an amazing 4 year stretch with the Bills. I am pretty sure he is the only RB that led the league in YFS for 4 straight years. It is unfortunate for his legacy that Faulk was putting up his crazy numbers right as Thurman was exiting the league. There was a time in the early 90s where if you asked: "Who is the best RB in the NFL?" most people would agree that the answer: "I don't know but he played for Ok St." was a correct one.

13) Franco Harris - was a key cog in the Steelers' dynasty when running the ball was the thing to do.

14) Corey Dillon - my controversial pick. I think, talentwise, Dillon is a HOFer. He played 7 years on a horrible Bengals team that never even managed a winning record but he rushed for over 1000 yards for his first 6 seasons and even broke Walter Payton's 20+ year old single game record against the #1 rushing D in the league at the time. He gets labeled a malcontent, goes to the Patriots, and when he finally has a decent team around him he sets career highs in both rushing and TDs at the age of 30. I am not sure how many RBs set career highs in both those stats over the age of 30 - but it can't be many. Surrounding talent can have a dramatic effect on RB production and I think Dillon got the short end of the stick during his prime and is still a top 20 all time rusher.

15) Curtis Martin - my gut tells me that Martin isn't a HOFer and that he was a compiler. Similar to Jerome Bettis, his career YPC is below league average for RBs while he played. However, if he is a compiler, then he is the greatest compiler the game has ever seen - and the guy just didn't fumble. He is the guy that is really hard for me to place.

16) Tony Dorsett - great player on great teams. He never really led the league in anything and that is a mark against him since he played on some good teams. He would be higher on my list if he didn't fumble as often as he scored.

17) Terrell Davis - I think the Bronco's system makes the RB look much better than he actually is. Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Droughns, and Portis all looked great in that Denver system. Portis, at the same point in their careers, actually looked better. Davis gets this position because there isn't a better post season runner ever - system or not. What the guy accomplished in the post season is nothing short of amazing.

1Cool Edgerrin James - A workhorse back that could both run and catch. It is unfortunate that he probably won't make the HOF.

19) Tiki Barber - Another underrated back that peaked basically as he was exiting the league. He had some great rushing and YFS seasons and, what many don't realize, is that aside from Barber the Giants were absolutely horrible at running the ball. I am pretty sure that compared to his teammates, Barber has one of the most significant improvement in YPC in the history of the NFL.

20) Gale Sayers - career is too short, no matter how good, for me to put him above the others.

Bettis - never led the league in anything, YPC was below league average for his career, for being a short yardage RB he rarely broke double digit TDs, was never considered one of the best in the league.
Allen - yes he had a good year or two - but playing like a 30 year old Tomlinson for a dozen years makes you a compiler in my book.
Bo Jackson - Couldn't stay healthy in college, couldn't stay healthy in the pros, got to come in midseason rested (comparatively), wasn't much of a receiver, Jamaal Charles had similar numbers at the same # of games in their careers IIRC and no one is putting Charles in their top 20 list (though he may deserve it more than Peterson in a few years)

You'd be surprised how many people put Bo in top 10/20 lists.
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sn0mm1s wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
sn0mm1s wrote:

You'd be surprised how many people put Bo in top 10/20 lists.

Not surprised. I've seen it.
LaserFocus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy to see why Bo Jackson is so highly regarded, even though he was a part time football player. When you saw Jackson with the Raiders, he had a skill set very seldom seen in the NFL. A power/speed ratio off the charts, and this was a back without the advantage of concentrating on football year round.

Healthy, I think Jackson would have easily surpassed Herschel Walker's NFL career, and might have been one of the best ever.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But ultimately "could have" is a meaningless statement compared to what others DID achieve on the field.

sn0mm1s is definitely right to have him outside of a top 20

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
But ultimately "could have" is a meaningless statement compared to what others DID achieve on the field.

Even with "could have been" they should be reserved to players like Sterling Sharpe who at least had a long enough career of sustained greatness that you could draw from. Bo Jackson didn't have anything like that.
sp6488

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Bobikus wrote:

Even with "could have been" they should be reserved to players like Sterling Sharpe who at least had a long enough career of sustained greatness that you could draw from. Bo Jackson didn't have anything like that.

Yep.

Jackson never exceeded 1,000 rushing yards in a season, only surpassed 1,000 YFS in one season (only ever came close once). Also never had more than 6 total TD in a season.

By contrast, Sterling Sharpe exceed 1,000 receiving yards in 5/7 seasons (and came very close in a 6th). Had 4 seasons with 10+ TD. Multiple time all-pro.

I get it, Bo Jackson was incredibly talented, but lists of greatest players should require some level of exceptional production, which is just something he was never able to do.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: