Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots extend Julian Edelman for 2018-19 (2 YR/11M)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Patriots extend Julian Edelman for 2018-19 (2 YR/11M) Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/872909725368713229

No details on $ but hard to imagine it won't be a Pats-friendly deal given the age and security of staying with BB Brady & Gronk. He would have been a FA after 2017 so timing right for both sides.

Last edited by Broncofan on Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years 11M 9M guaranteed

2016 Adopt A Brown: Al Saunders
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
2 years 11M 9M guaranteed

https://twitter.com/mikegarafolo/status/872939266732675077

Apparently 4M in reachable incentives. So 2/15 max but only 9M guaranteed and if injury hits then 2/11 reasonable for a 3rd option and an amazing bargain for a 1 or 2 WR.

With Gronk and Cooks he might become the 3 guy. But at 2/15 max and only 9M guaranteed for NE for 2018-9 no lose situation for them.
Starless

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm somewhat surprised because it seemed to me like the recent moves the team made (signing Hogan, trading for Cooks) coupled with the emergence of Malcolm Mitchell suggested that the team was ready to move on from Edelman. But I guess they feel like he still has something to contribute beyond 2017.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
I'm somewhat surprised because it seemed to me like the recent moves the team made (signing Hogan, trading for Cooks) coupled with the emergence of Malcolm Mitchell suggested that the team was ready to move on from Edelman. But I guess they feel like he still has something to contribute beyond 2017.

At 2/11 and only 9M guaranteed the risk is so small compared to the potential payoff. It's not like BB can't figure out how to deploy more weapons even if Cooks is awesome, Mitchell progresses and Hogan remains useful. More likely 1-2 of those 4 WR regresses or gets hurt and they have the depth to not miss a beat.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feels like they are trying to make as smooth an offensive transition from Brady to Jimmy G as possible. Lot of core offensive guys locked in this offseason.
KennyBania

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:

Edelman is just a different receiver with a different skillset than the names you mentioned. He's critical for what New England does working in and around the hash marks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Edelman enjoy being hosed often? That's an incredibly cheap deal considering what he's coming off of and his ability to fit into the league's top 10.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
Does Edelman enjoy being hosed often? That's an incredibly cheap deal considering what he's coming off of and his ability to fit into the league's top 10.

Details come out to about $7.5m / year maximum value I believe? That's about 21st / 22nd highest in the NFL on an annual basis. (Incentives, guarantees, etc may change this)

Edelman isn't a top 10 WR.. I doubt we'd be putting him in the top 25 if he were playing somewhere else.
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:

Details come out to about $7.5m / year maximum value I believe? That's about 21st / 22nd highest in the NFL on an annual basis. (Incentives, guarantees, etc may change this)

Edelman isn't a top 10 WR.. I doubt we'd be putting him in the top 25 if he were playing somewhere else.

I'm not saying he's definitively top 10, however you can get that kind of production out of him pretty easily. 7.5 Mill seems pretty team friendly to me, maybe I'm higher on him than most however.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:

7.5M AAV only applies if he hits all of the incentives. If we look at guaranteed $ and straight base $ that's nowhere close to top 20's. And in this market the discount is even more extreme. Edelman got less AAV base $ than Adam Thielen & a fading Brandon Marshall, and way less $ than Robert Woods, Kenny Stills, Kenny Britt and D-Jax, all who got 8-10M AAV deals this offseason. No matter how you cut it that's insane.

Edelman gave a discount to guarantee he'd keep playing in NE for 2018-19. It's his call but it's hard to paint this as anything but a huge discount to NE.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice deal for the Pats.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
tom cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good move for the Pats. Edelman's a good keep for them.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
ArodFanboy wrote:

I'm not saying he's definitively top 10, however you can get that kind of production out of him pretty easily. 7.5 Mill seems pretty team friendly to me, maybe I'm higher on him than most however.

Edelman has never really had top 10 production. He's actually overrated by people. I don't think he's anything special, although he has good postseason production. He's a good receiver, but definitely not better than guy like Golden Tate, who's far more talented, as seen by Tate leading the league in missed tackles again this year.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know he isn't a Top-10 receiver but the Pats still got a steal even if he gets all his incentives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: