You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Its the Little Things that Count....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Its the Little Things that Count.... Reply with quote

Hotep Good Brothers....
We are all trying to make it through the Summer Doldrums until training camps kick in....I live in the DMV area, and one of my favorite sports radio programs (Grant and Danny) have a segment on Friday's called "Winning off the Field".....built from an interview that the redskins GM gave where he actually said...."Were winning Off the field....but we need to start winning On the field"....which is one of the single funniest things I've heard in my life associated with football....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDToEdnyO6U

So I wanted to attempt to start a segment, in the same spirit...we all have an under the radar move...that we like....it may be something that has been mentioned in the media as an afterthought....but what is one of the more Low Key moves that the Browns have made that make you feel good....
Now this isnt the Zeitler FA deal, or taking Garrett #1....thats "Winning on the field".....but what is an underated move we've made that you think will pay off a lot bigger than anyone is giving credit to.

I will start.....I have 2.

1. 6th round pick of Kicker Zane Gonzales....my 3rd favorite pick of the draft (Behind 1. Myles G & 2. Peppers + 2018 1rst)....I think this is Phil Dawson 2.0.....we took Phil for granted.....IMO 2nd or 3rd best kicker in the NFL....Dawson was a weapon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZBPwV6CtI

2. Al Saunders...... Everyone is saying that our Wr corps is not going to be up to snuff.....I for one am still excited to see our young WR's......WR is one of the the most common "Big Jump in Year 2 positions" and we have 4 that are headed into year 2...Louis is a physical freak who needs to improve his hands. Coleman looked like Steve Smith 2.0 before he got injured, I may be the biggest Higgins fan left in here....and Jordon Payton is UCLA's all time leading Wr, who was knocked for his speed coming out in the draft (he ran 4.4. at the combine)....AND People have forgotten Al Saunders...I think if anyone can get some maturity our of the WR group....I think its him...

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
BwickRedux

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start it off....mine is the Jamar Taylor signing. Sashi gave up peanuts for him to Miami and JT played well enough to earn a 3 year extension, despite being asked to do more than he really should have last year with Haden being injured. I mean seriously... a 7th round pick for him vs. trading Gilbert, in division, for a 6th round pick. Also, when Browns fans are walking on eggshells while waiting to see how this front-office pans out, how can a move like this not make you feel good and instill some confidence?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BwickRedux wrote:
I'll start it off....mine is the Jamar Taylor signing. Sashi gave up peanuts for him to Miami and JT played well enough to earn a 3 year extension, despite being asked to do more than he really should have last year with Haden being injured. I mean seriously... a 7th round pick for him vs. trading Gilbert, in division, for a 6th round pick. Also, when Browns fans are walking on eggshells while waiting to see how this front-office pans out, how can a move like this not make you feel good and instill some confidence?

I wasn't going to make any comments....but I had too on this one....I was going to list a 3rd one...but didn't want to "Take them all" LOL.....I agree 100%...

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregg Williams = culture changer
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
Gregg Williams = culture changer

Me, too.

But my number two is adding value in small increments at many turns. E.g., Choosing Wilson, snaring Nacua, taking a flyer on Brantley, picking up HOU's 2018 1st and 2nd, etc.

Think Williams will have the biggest 2017 impact.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the most underestimated moves was the trade up from 33 to 29 for Njoku. It was lost in the talk of the day due to passing on Watson and Hooker at 12, where the discussion was about how they missed out on great talent for a trade down yet again.

Execute a trade just in front of Pittsburgh to take the player they were certain to take at 30?

DizzyDean

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good, and hopefully franchise defining moves listed so far. Great idea for a thread.

My contribution, owning Houston in trade, multiple times. First we are given their 2018 round 2 pick to take a QB off of their hands that is competing for our starting job.

Second, we fleece them of their first round pick next year so that they can move up and take a project QB, that if he plays, will only make these picks better in all likelihood.

While different, these 2 moves together can very well be our Hershel Walker type trade that launched the Dallas dynasty back in the day.
brooks1957

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two (or three - because two are in one)

1.) - Being prepared to the "T" fo the three days in Philadelphia, and then not panicking to overdraft a QB. Kizer, any sooner than he was picked, would have been a disaster because there would have been tons of pressure to play him too soon.

2. and 3.) - Signing JC Tretter and Kevin Zeitler. With the OL back up to NFL standards - the rest of the offense can be opened up. And I am excited to see what Kessler can do behind a legitimate OL.

Great thread idea brother
MWil23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess for me:

1. The stockpiling of ammunition and draft picks. This roster was so woeful after a decade of almost complete incompetence that it was in need of a massive overhaul on almost every single position with the exception of Left Tackle. Most teams in a similar situation draft the QB at #2 and take their 60% chance that he will BUST (actual statistic I saw). However, We got 9 players and 2 future picks. We took that pick and basically got the following:

WR Corey Coleman

OT Shon Coleman

QB Cody Kessler

WR Ricardo Louis

S Derrick Kindred

WR Jordan Payton

OG/OT Spencer Drango

S Jabrill Peppers

QB DeShone Kizer

Houston's first-round pick in 2018

Philadelphia's second-round pick in 2018

I honestly don't care how Wentz turns out in Philly...the QB alone, even if he becomes elite, wasn't going to change the entire direction of this team. I love what they did. Now we just need to hope that a couple of these guys pan out, preferably the 1st/2nd round guys.

I also fully expect this regime to continue to add future 1sts and 2nds so that we always have draft capital as long as the moneyball guys are here, which is hopefully a LONG time!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's making the low risk moves for talent.

Jamar Taylor for a 7th, Calvin Pryor (24 year old former 1st) for a JAG linebacker, Caleb Brantley in the 6th, etc.

Some media folks scoff at these trades, but they are getting significant talent for pennies.

If the Pats would have made these moves the talking heads would be praising them endlessly.
MWil23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
For me it's making the low risk moves for talent.

Jamar Taylor for a 7th, Calvin Pryor (24 year old former 1st) for a JAG linebacker, Caleb Brantley in the 6th, etc.

Some media folks scoff at these trades, but they are getting significant talent for pennies.

If the Pats would have made these moves the talking heads would be praising them endlessly.

Agreed.

Shoot, throw trading a low 3rd for Jamie Collins in there too...I'd take a Pro Bowl caliber player in his prime in the last year of his contract for a 3rd rounder EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!! Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above three posts are SPOT ON!

See, we are a bit different on the North Coast - we spell "GM incompetence" using these letters - "R-A-Y F-A-R-M-E-R".
BwickRedux

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna go really meta?

You wouldn't have any of these other moves without Haslam having promoted relatively unknown Sashi Brown to executive VP of football ops. I still remember people throwing out all the big names trying to figure out who would be the new football czar (Scott Pioli, anyone?), then all of a sudden Sashi gets promoted to his current position and the prevailing thought after "Who?" was "Great, now we have a lawyer running the team! Where are the pitchforks and torches?!?" I have to credit Jimmy and Dee Haslam - with the exception of the debacle of rolling out the new logo and uni's, they've really seemed to find their comfort level in running this team after the first couple of seasons of mayhem.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's resigning guys like Bitonio, Collins, Kirksey, and Taylor that have been in our locker room and produced.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
I think one of the most underestimated moves was the trade up from 33 to 29 for Njoku. It was lost in the talk of the day due to passing on Watson and Hooker at 12, where the discussion was about how they missed out on great talent for a trade down yet again.

Execute a trade just in front of Pittsburgh to take the player they were certain to take at 30?

Absolute facts, you could argue both of their selections in the first and second round were panic picks for us taking the guy they wanted.

Quote:
Miami's David Njoku is one of the draft's top tight end prospects and there is a chance he'll still be on the board when the Steelers select 30th overall. If they do draft Njoku (or any other tight end) there, it will be the first time they took a tight end in Round 1 since picking Heath Miller in 2005, and just the third time since 1995.

There were reports that they also considered Kizer at #30, they definitely would have liked him if he slipped to #62. Just sayin

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: