You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tajae Sharpe 2017 Expectations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bench material and no not fantasy football bench

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a Richard, but he's JAG.

Unless things take an unexpected turn for the worst in regards to the rest of the roster, he'll be no higher than the 6th option in the pass game.

For someone with supposed great route running ability and hands, his catch % of 49.4% is disgusting (actually, that's a disgusting figure for anyone in the NFL). And before anyone even thinking of blaming QB or scheme for that ghastly percentage, Andre Johnson (a shell of the former, retiring after only 22 targets here) was the only other receiving option below 50%. In fact, only 1 other receiving option had under a 60% catch rate last year on the team... and that's our FB, Jalston Fowler. Every other WR/TE/RB was above 60%.

So how does anyone explain that? The guy just cannot get open, or create any kind of separation to give him a higher than 50% chance of catching the ball. He's JAG... and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the roster (could see Douglas beating him for the 4th WR spot... and Weems and McBride beating him for the 5th and 6th spots due to STs packages).

Even if he makes it on the roster... as the 4th WR, and 6th/7th best receiving option (at best) on the team (Matthews, Davis, Taylor, Walker, Murray... Smith/Henry possibly), 20/250/1 seems to be the ceiling for him... and he may not even reach those numbers. (For reference, last year's 4th leading WR/6th leading receiver went for 15/210/0). We may pass more, but we're not going to become the Saints suddenly.
KingTitan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he has more potential than most. I don't think he is a scrub.

I can see a 30 catch 400 yard season with about 3 TDs in a reserve role

I think he might start over Taylor early or take over for Taylor later.
He and Taylor will fill the 3rd WR role. [/list]
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to slow down on writing the kid off. I agree he's not that athletic or physically gifted, but what do you you expect from a 5th round rookie WR, that was basically our #2 WR last year.
Let's see how he fairs out playing alongside a true #1 & solid #2. Great players do make the game easy for average players.
the lone star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Redd10 wrote:
You guys need to slow down on writing the kid off. I agree he's not that athletic or physically gifted, but what do you you expect from a 5th round rookie WR, that was basically our #2 WR last year.
Let's see how he fairs out playing alongside a true #1 & solid #2. Great players do make the game easy for average players.

Agreed. And a lot of players improve from their rookie season to their sophomore season. He may not have high end potential, but he could be a rock solid #3 and an emergency #2 for you all. I'll take that all day from a 5th rounder.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
J.Redd10 wrote:

Agreed. And a lot of players improve from their rookie season to their sophomore season. He may not have high end potential, but he could be a rock solid #3 and an emergency #2 for you all. I'll take that all day from a 5th rounder.

Draft rounds don't matter once you're in the league. He either produces or he doesn't. I'm not going to accept subpar performance from one player over another just because one of them was drafter lower.

I asked this months before, and I ask it again. What about how his season went gives anyone hope for improvement?

Is it the team low 49.4% catch rate?

Was it his improvement as his season wore on? Oh wait, he didn't. He went from a good first 3 games, averaging 4.6 rec, 52 yards, and a more respectable catch percentage of 56%... and finishing his last 13 games averaging 2.1 rec and 28 yards, with a catch rate of 46.5%. Those numbers look even worse after Thanksgiving, as he went 1.4/13.8/38.8%.

I don't mean to hate just to hate... but I never saw the hype that some seemed to buy into last offseason. He ended up with decent season end stats out of sheer necessity, and due to a decent start, but looking past those bulk numbers, his efficiency was among the worst from any WR with those kind of stats .

YAC/Rec
Wright - 4.3
Walker - 4.2
Douglas - 4.2
Matthews - 3.2
Sharpe - 2.2

Yards/Target
Wright - 9.7
Douglas - 9.5
Matthews - 8.8
Walker - 7.8
Sharpe - 6.3

Football Outsiders("The simple version: DYAR means a wide receiver with more total value. DVOA means a wide receiver with more value per play.")
DYAR
Matthews - 229 - ranked 14th
Wright - 119 - not ranked due to not meeting min target #, would have ranked 47th
Walker - 98 - 12th ranked TE
Douglas - 63 - (also not ranked)
Sharpe - 23 - ranked 70th out of 93 qualifiers (50+ targets)

DVOA
Matthews - 14.4% - ranked 16th
Wright - 22% - (would have ranked 7th if he had 7 more targets)
Walker - 8.1% - 17th ranked TE
Douglas - 22.1%
Sharpe - -9.3% (that's a negative 9.3%)

I have yet to see anyone make a quantitative argument why they think he'll be more than JAG... a replaceable 4th/5th WR... much less a "rock solid #3".
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
the lone star wrote:
J.Redd10 wrote:

Draft rounds don't matter once you're in the league. He either produces or he doesn't. I'm not going to accept subpar performance from one player over another just because one of them was drafter lower.

I asked this months before, and I ask it again. What about how his season went gives anyone hope for improvement?

Is it the team low 49.4% catch rate?

Was it his improvement as his season wore on? Oh wait, he didn't. He went from a good first 3 games, averaging 4.6 rec, 52 yards, and a more respectable catch percentage of 56%... and finishing his last 13 games averaging 2.1 rec and 28 yards, with a catch rate of 46.5%. Those numbers look even worse after Thanksgiving, as he went 1.4/13.8/38.8%.

I don't mean to hate just to hate... but I never saw the hype that some seemed to buy into last offseason. He ended up with decent season end stats out of sheer necessity, and due to a decent start, but looking past those bulk numbers, his efficiency was among the worst from any WR with those kind of stats .

YAC/Rec
Wright - 4.3
Walker - 4.2
Douglas - 4.2
Matthews - 3.2
Sharpe - 2.2

Yards/Target
Wright - 9.7
Douglas - 9.5
Matthews - 8.8
Walker - 7.8
Sharpe - 6.3

Football Outsiders("The simple version: DYAR means a wide receiver with more total value. DVOA means a wide receiver with more value per play.")
DYAR
Matthews - 229 - ranked 14th
Wright - 119 - not ranked due to not meeting min target #, would have ranked 47th
Walker - 98 - 12th ranked TE
Douglas - 63 - (also not ranked)
Sharpe - 23 - ranked 70th out of 93 qualifiers (50+ targets)

DVOA
Matthews - 14.4% - ranked 16th
Wright - 22% - (would have ranked 7th if he had 7 more targets)
Walker - 8.1% - 17th ranked TE
Douglas - 22.1%
Sharpe - -9.3% (that's a negative 9.3%)

I have yet to see anyone make a quantitative argument why they think he'll be more than JAG... a replaceable 4th/5th WR... much less a "rock solid #3".

You missed my entire point still 🤦🏽‍♂️
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Redd10 wrote:

You missed my entire point still 🤦🏽‍♂️

Entire point? Didn't you bring expectations for a 5th rounder? I explained that I expect the same from a 5th rounder than I do from a 3rd rounder or FA... efficiency and production.

Last year we had 2 above average receiving options in Walker and Matthews... as well as one of the best run games in the league. I argue that adding 2 new upgrades at WR minimizes his value, not raises it. He's been downgraded... and for someone playing that few snaps, I want efficiency... which is why it wouldn't be a surprise to me if Douglas beat him out.

#JAG...
J.Redd10

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if he can put up 500 plus yards as a rookie going against #1 & 2 CBs he can definitely make plays as a 3rd or 4th option, playing alongside some talent that will draw coverage off of him.. but I see your point he's just another guy nothing spectacular
VY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows, maybe he can do what DGB and Justin Hunter never could and step up in the face of some challenges. Those 2 shut off when they weren't handled with white gloves. Maybe Tajae will be different. But from a pure talent perspective he's at a disadvantage. If he does anything it will be purely based off of a ton of drive.
ShupacTakur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never could buy into the hype last summer.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decker signing here (more possible than Maclin) would probably signal the end of both Sharpe and Douglas. Weems would probably make it as the 5th because of his STs. Sharpe could make it if they keep 6... and though he'd likely be the "5th" WR, barring injury he'd also be the likely weekly inactive, as he offers nothing on STs.

Again, it doesn't help the Titans (or me) if Sharpe is good. Heck, it'd be great if he turned into something. I honestly just don't see it.. and I'd like to know what anyone else sees in him differently. All I get was the bulk numbers he put last year, which aren't horrible... but there's a different story told through efficiency stats and the general regression that took place after week 3.
VY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragevsuall17 wrote:
Decker signing here (more possible than Maclin) would probably signal the end of both Sharpe and Douglas. Weems would probably make it as the 5th because of his STs. Sharpe could make it if they keep 6... and though he'd likely be the "5th" WR, barring injury he'd also be the likely weekly inactive, as he offers nothing on STs.

Again, it doesn't help the Titans (or me) if Sharpe is good. Heck, it'd be great if he turned into something. I honestly just don't see it.. and I'd like to know what anyone else sees in him differently. All I get was the bulk numbers he put last year, which aren't horrible... but there's a different story told through efficiency stats and the general regression that took place after week 3.

I'm not expecting him to do much, maybe not even make the team. But I am a bit reticent of giving up on a young guy this early who has at least flashed some potential (if only in the preseason). This year is certainly make or break, at worst he's decent depth if Mathews goes down.
ragevsuall17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VY wrote:
ragevsuall17 wrote:

I'm not expecting him to do much, maybe not even make the team. But I am a bit reticent of giving up on a young guy this early who has at least flashed some potential (if only in the preseason). This year is certainly make or break, at worst he's decent depth if Mathews goes down.

Maybe I'm just tired of the never-ending hype/love the board seems to shower on long shot WRs. It goes beyond the days of Sharpe and McBride... it goes back to the days of Orr and the plethora of mid round WR that had a ton of hype in OTAs and preseason and never amounted to much (the Roydell's, Roby's, etc).

We're even already hearing noise about Taylor during OTA's.... apparently he's been lights out... but we've heard that before... Almost every offseason it seems... and yet we've seen nothing develop since Mason/Bennett.
VY-FTW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly Decker is a upgrade over Sharpe. So I wouldn't mind it.

And not hating on Sharpe but he didn't flash any more than DGB or Hunter did in their 1st seasons imo. I see no reason to not upgrade for the simple fact that it would take reps away from him. Though I do like Sharpe and think he can do well not lining up vs teams top corners. I think he will make a good #3/4. Rather have Decker this year cause we know he can start and produce but I think Davis and Matthews combined with Walker will be a nasty trio and it won't really matter who we have behind them.

IM SO READY FOR THIS YEAR BOYS!

Adopt a Titan:
Jurrell Casey
Tajae Sharpe

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: