Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Nick Fairley's future in doubt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid Iowa wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
This FO took another FA gamble and it appears (for the time being) that once again they craped out.

Yes it is frustrating... and I refuse to give this FO the benefit of the doubt. That time has passed. It's time for results, no more excuses and that's what this season is shaping up to be, one full of excuses.
The FO got 1 really good year out of him, which is better than several of the other high-paid FA they signed.

So who was passed up on to gain Fairley? Did they really "miss" or did it just end up going bad. I mean, who should have been in there if it weren't Fairley?

The jury is still out on it because we need to see if he ever plays again and if he does not then a legal battle could take place reguarding his contract. Still, that one good year they got out of him was on a 1 year 3 million dollar deal. That is a separate transaction all together. This was a future investment, one with multiple years attached to it making Fairley one of the top paid defenders on the roster. The fact is (as terrible as the heart condition is) it was a pre existing issue that everyone knew about and the Saints invested long term anyway. They gambled and lost, period. To me you have to take his 2016 performance out of the equation, thats not what he got this long term deal for. He got 3 million for 2016, this long term deal was for what he was expected to do for this club in 2017 and beyond and that's possibly nothing.

While Junior Galette was a head case and Fairley is not, they basically are on track of both contributing about the same to this club after receiving big pay days from the club. As fans we want to give the players we like or the ones who have bad luck the benifit of the doubt but want to persecute the ones that don't perform for character reasons but at the end of the day, zero production is ZERO PRODUCTION reguardless of how you arrive at that point.

If Fairley never plays another down again, his long term deal of 2017 should and will go down as yet another big money long term blunder by this front office. Let's hope it doesn't come to that and I hope to see a Fairley on the field once again but given this turn of events and his heart history I doubt he ever steps foot on a football field again as a player.

WHODAT91FOREVER
Raves

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The contract looks to be only a hit of 14 million if he never plays again, I think it was guaranteed mostly upfront from what I read.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
The contract looks to be only a hit of 14 million if he never plays again, I think it was guaranteed mostly upfront from what I read.

They have no choice but to eat it this year where his cost is 9 mil total with his bonuses and gaurenteed money. In 2018 they could release him before June 1 at a cost of a 6 mil cap hit and a 1 mil cap savings or designate him a post June 1 cut and take a cap hit of 2 mil with a cap savings of 5 mil.

In all likleyhood Fairley and his agent will spin this with the intention of keeping the Saints believing he'll play again because that's to best way for Fairley to retain most of the money on his deal. The Saints will eventually be forced to release him in my opinion and then decide whether or not to peruse a non-injury settlement to recoup some of the gaurenteed money but I gaurentee you Fairley won't give the money back and he won't retire before the Saints release him!

WHODAT91FOREVER
NS922

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get Rankins back and Fairley has to quit. We can never get ahead. Mad

Oh well. Not like we're winning anything important anytime soon, so I'm glad he's doing the best thing for his health.
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
This was a future investment, one with multiple years attached to it making Fairley one of the top paid defenders on the roster. The fact is (as terrible as the heart condition is) it was a pre existing issue that everyone knew about and the Saints invested long term anyway. They gambled and lost, period. To me you have to take his 2016 performance out of the equation, thats not what he got this long term deal for. He got 3 million for 2016, this long term deal was for what he was expected to do for this club in 2017 and beyond and that's possibly nothing.

If Fairley never plays another down again, his long term deal of 2017 should and will go down as yet another big money long term blunder by this front office.
Worm, we're going to have to agree to disagree here, I think.

He was signed by the Lions (played well, and for a long time there) and the Saints (played well and deserved a contract extension) with both clubs knowing of his heart issue that he had even in college. It seemed fine until one specific doctor said "I don't like what I see".

Worm, you and I both know the doctor is in "cover my arse" mode and made a suggestion. Nobody wants him to drop dead at work, and have his death other resume (see Korey Stringer from the Vikings - a fluke, yet the Vikings org got sued) so they pipe up, finally.

Fairley wants to play, the league won't let him, and that's not "on the Saints", that's on doctors and lawyers.

Regarding his contract extension, it is voidable. Sure, there will be a lawsuit like always when millions are involved, but it's voidable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: