Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KC releases Maclin
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiefs_5627

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: KC releases Maclin Reply with quote

Wtf???!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000812941/article/chiefs-release-wide-receiver-jeremy-maclin

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
Jlash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saves you guys some cash I guess?

He's had a down season in 2016 but he won't be out of work long.
kingseanjohn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected this next year, not this year. Especially pre-training camp, I find it hard to believe that a trade couldn't be worked out. I'm really curious to see why he was released. Cap space doesn't make sense to me at this point unless we're about to make a move elsewhere.

The Air Less Expected on 3rd down AKA the ALEX scale
Chiefer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post June 1st cut

Re-signing someone?

Wonder if we roll it over to next year for a Peters deal...

I guess with Alex we don't need Maclin. Still he was a great leader for the young guys. Local guy, I bet this sucks for him.
samsel23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
Post June 1st cut

Re-signing someone?

I guess with Alex we don't need Maclin. Still he was a great leader for the young guys. Local guy, I bet this sucks for him.

Really awkward, seeing how he just skipped on a honeymoon to attend OTA's.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
Chiefer wrote:
Post June 1st cut

Re-signing someone?

Really awkward, seeing how he just skipped on a honeymoon to attend OTA's.

I suspect he suspected.

How does the post June 1 aspect affect things?

J

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm really curious to see why he was released.
I'm not surprised. I told you guys last year and before that Maclin wasn't very good at catching (only 57% catch rate last season with only 2 measly TD's). Some of you guys were insulting and/or thought Maclin was the Chiefs savior or similar.

I am somewhat surprised that Reid/Dorsey swallowed their pride some in the release. Reid seemed to think he was getting the "just out of college" version of Maclin. Uh, no coach. Maclin was used up before he got to KC, but Reid loved what he used to be when he played with Philly and convinced Dorsey to give him a boatload of cash.

Finally the mistake was realized and dealt with.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conley seems to have stepped up. With him as WR1 and Hill as WR2, Maclin gets relegated to WR3. He was too expensive for that role.

J

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
Conley seems to have stepped up. With him as WR1 and Hill as WR2, Maclin gets relegated to WR3. He was too expensive for that role.

J
Reid brought Maclin in to be WR1. He was a bust. I like Conley too. He's very athletic. I suspect Hill is really set up to become WR1 tho. He's just too fast. Both Conley and Hill will see much use so I don't really care about the "depth chart". Albert Wilson is still 3rd. IMO, while Thomas, Robinson lag far behind. Hence welcome to Jehu Chesson. He'll make the roster and could very well become at least WR4 this season.
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mayanfootball wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:

J
Reid brought Maclin in to be WR1. He was a bust. I like Conley too. He's very athletic. I suspect Hill is really set up to become WR1 tho. He's just too fast. Both Conley and Hill will see much use so I don't really care about the "depth chart". Albert Wilson is still 3rd. IMO, while Thomas, Robinson lag far behind. Hence welcome to Jehu Chesson. He'll make the roster and could very well become at least WR4 this season.

He was not a bust. Compare the results to the last two years of the Bowe show. But, he was not an impact player.

I doubt Hill will be the WR1 for a while. His route tree is still very basic. All the work as KR, PR and RB detracts from study time at WR. That said, he makes a very good decoy and occasional primary target. Even if he is not the first guy on the progression, he could wind up with the most yards.

Chesson is interesting. If he had not been injured in the bowl and came out last year, I think he goes at least a round higher, maybe 2nd round. The size speed numbers are elite. That said, he is not coming from a good place. Even if he is physically 100%, which he clearly was not for Michigan in 2016, he coming off a largely wasted year. One thing for sure, he will scare the snot out of some slot CBs.

J

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onejayhawk wrote:
mayanfootball wrote:
onejayhawk wrote:

J

He was not a bust. Compare the results to the last two years of the Bowe show. But, he was not an impact player.

I doubt Hill will be the WR1 for a while. His route tree is still very basic. All the work as KR, PR and RB detracts from study time at WR. That said, he makes a very good decoy and occasional primary target. Even if he is not the first guy on the progression, he could wind up with the most yards.

Chesson is interesting. If he had not been injured in the bowl and came out last year, I think he goes at least a round higher, maybe 2nd round. The size speed numbers are elite. That said, he is not coming from a good place. Even if he is physically 100%, which he clearly was not for Michigan in 2016, he coming off a largely wasted year. One thing for sure, he will scare the snot out of some slot CBs.

J

He was a bust. Overpaid, and lost draft picks for 1 good year.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
mayanfootball

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He was not a bust. Compare the results to the last two years of the Bowe show.
This comparison simply tells me more about how dreadful Bowe was.
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mayanfootball wrote:
Quote:
I'm really curious to see why he was released.
I'm not surprised. I told you guys last year and before that Maclin wasn't very good at catching (only 57% catch rate last season with only 2 measly TD's). Some of you guys were insulting and/or thought Maclin was the Chiefs savior or similar.

I am somewhat surprised that Reid/Dorsey swallowed their pride some in the release. Reid seemed to think he was getting the "just out of college" version of Maclin. Uh, no coach. Maclin was used up before he got to KC, but Reid loved what he used to be when he played with Philly and convinced Dorsey to give him a boatload of cash.

Finally the mistake was realized and dealt with.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/2/18/14649614/cutting-jeremy-maclin-is-an-awful-idea

This article was written several months ago. Weather or not you believe it was a good cut, this pretty clearly shows Maclin was still a terrific player after his injury last year. Now if he somehow lost it between then and now...fine, but that is also highly unlikely...

From respected KC reporter Terez Paylor:

Maclin consistently got first-team reps in OTA practices, though there was some rotation among the skill players. Looked spry to me
6:58 PM - 2 Jun 2017

In the end, this has nothing to do with Maclin's ability. They may have another plan/trade to bring someone in or the WR's we have on the cheap our gonna blow our socks off.

Now that being said..I highly disagree with this move and it's one of those, much like the Charles cut, that if you are wrong as a GM or it doesn't work out you are gonna be crushed and justifiably so. If Charles contributes for another team (I don't expect him to) or KC is underwhelming or suffers an injury at WR that hurts them (with less depth), i'm gonna be as mad as i've been since they traded for Cassel.

And of course I have to mention your obvious blunder trying to claim that the "just out of college" Maclin is better than the current one...you even implied better than the 2015 version lol

Your Denver hatred is borderline pathological. I don't think my girlfriend cheating on me would cause me as much hate as you have for Denver.
mayanfootball

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's look at your Arrowhead pride article in support of Maclin:
Quote:
My point........ itís to demonstrate that itís ridiculous to gauge a WR based on numbers.
Well sorry Rage, stats are used to measure all NFL skill players. It's natural that the cream rises to the top using statistics. Only blocking performance isn't measured statistically (that I know of).

Quote:

However, a combination of issues last season capped his production. Two of those (his own personal stuff and injury) weíve already covered. There are two more issues that presented themselves as well, though:

1 Andy Reidís insistence on making inferior receiving options the first read or ONLY read on certain play calls.
2 Alex Smith not seeing Maclin open.
Well "cry me a Rivers" some might say. All players have to deal with adversity, some physical, some mental. Some might say Maclin's injury might be due to age or not stretching properly before, during, after games. I'll agree that Alex Smith can suffer occasional blindness, but all QB's miss open receivers. If Maclin suffers from checkdown issues, only Reid, Smith and Maclin know for sure.

Quote:
In the end, this has nothing to do with Maclin's ability.
(Back to your post). Yes it has everything to do with performance (an extension of ability). Maclin is just older, can't catch and just isn't worth the money for his scant production, regardless of excuses.
Chiefer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last years catch numbers for Maclin were the worst of his career, usually he's very sure-handed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: