Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darren Sproles 2017 Expectations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Just no. The team is FAR (yes, caps) better served keeping him to (in theory) help guys like Smallwood and Pumphrey develop than taking whatever conditional garbage some other team won't throw at them anyway. At that point, you're better off just releasing him for the cap space.

Ah yes, the Miles Austin "Mentor" role. I'm sure Sproles will teach these young bucks things Duce Staley could never even dream of.

Actualy Sproles can. Duce sure as hell can teach/show live by example. Not in this Offense. Especially to a RB like Pumphrey. Sproles is in many ways no different then Chase Daniels last season for Wentz. Sure there was a QB coach, OC and HC but not on the field follow my example type teaching.

If your going to take that stance on Sproles then you Don't believe Alshon can have a positive impact on our young WR's either, right? It's all Groh? Nothing AJ can teach by example?

Probably not. DJax trained with Jerry Rice and he still can't beat press coverage. Either these guys will get it or they won't, on their own. Jordan Matthews works his tail off all year and hasn't gotten better since week 1 of his rookie year. Zach Ertz practices right next to Brent Celek, but still hasn't learned how to break a tackle. Either something in their brain will click or it won't. Maybe a "mentor" is that something, but based on previous mentors, I doubt it. Trent Cole mentored B Graham, and B Graham coincidentally really wasn't good until 58 left. Miles Austin mentored Agholor and now Agholor is the worst WR in the NFL. DeMeco Ryans mentored Mychal Kendricks right into the dirt. We need to stop letting players mentor other players. Even Brian Dawkins was a terrible mentor outside of Michael Lewis.

So if it basically boils down to a player "Having it" or "Not Having it", why exactly is Duce going to be any different with said players as a Coach?

2017 Bird Watch: WR Jordan Matthews: Gm/ Tgt // Rec// Yds// TD// Y/R
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Just no. The team is FAR (yes, caps) better served keeping him to (in theory) help guys like Smallwood and Pumphrey develop than taking whatever conditional garbage some other team won't throw at them anyway. At that point, you're better off just releasing him for the cap space.

Ah yes, the Miles Austin "Mentor" role. I'm sure Sproles will teach these young bucks things Duce Staley could never even dream of.

You didn't seriously just compare Sproles to Miles Austin did you?
Rolling Eyes
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:

Actualy Sproles can. Duce sure as hell can teach/show live by example. Not in this Offense. Especially to a RB like Pumphrey. Sproles is in many ways no different then Chase Daniels last season for Wentz. Sure there was a QB coach, OC and HC but not on the field follow my example type teaching.

If your going to take that stance on Sproles then you Don't believe Alshon can have a positive impact on our young WR's either, right? It's all Groh? Nothing AJ can teach by example?

Probably not. DJax trained with Jerry Rice and he still can't beat press coverage. Either these guys will get it or they won't, on their own. Jordan Matthews works his tail off all year and hasn't gotten better since week 1 of his rookie year. Zach Ertz practices right next to Brent Celek, but still hasn't learned how to break a tackle. Either something in their brain will click or it won't. Maybe a "mentor" is that something, but based on previous mentors, I doubt it. Trent Cole mentored B Graham, and B Graham coincidentally really wasn't good until 58 left. Miles Austin mentored Agholor and now Agholor is the worst WR in the NFL. DeMeco Ryans mentored Mychal Kendricks right into the dirt. We need to stop letting players mentor other players. Even Brian Dawkins was a terrible mentor outside of Michael Lewis.

Sure this argument works when you compare apples to oranges. None of the guys you mentioned have a similar skill set to each other with the possible exception of Cole and Graham (who was hampered by injuries and lost in the depth chart for awhile more than anything, rather than sucking).

DJax is a pure speed guy, he will likely never beat a jam where the DB gets his hands on him. Ertz is a finesse TE, he makes his money out athleting LBs over the middle and being too big for safeties in the seam, he'll probably never be a great blocker either. Celek developed into more of a traditional receiving TE in his prime. 'Meco was a box LB when he was here, Kendricks is a blitzer/run and chase LB. Dawkins never really had anyone particularly talented to mentor outside of Lewis and Lewis' skillset was only half of Dawk's (the box half).

Sproles is a very different situation to Austin (or even Jeffrey). He has experience in the offense and now knows the coaching staff. He also has a very similar skill set to Pumphrey and shares some similarities to Smallwood. Obviously that doesn't guarantee either have the talent to be good or would even take to any sort of mentoring, but why wouldn't you give them every opportunity you can? At the very least Sproles gives the team a guy that they know can fill the role they want while the younger guys get their feet on the ground.

Quite simply, the team is better off keeping Sproles for his last year than dumping him for peanuts (or less) unless they decide to radically change how they utilize their RBs (which seems unlikely given the offseason).
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjapirate wrote:
if you want an eagles running back for fantasy go with Blount. But I would say choose none as the best bet.

Yeah, I got Blount. I could see his receptions rising a little this year in Philly. His total rushes, yards, and TDs will be down though.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:

You didn't seriously just compare Sproles to Miles Austin did you?
Rolling Eyes

Tough to compare Sproles to anybody tbh. Unless you want to compare him to someone younger than him, but I'm generally not a fan of stuff like that.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danger wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
Phire wrote:
Sproles is on record saying he'll retire after 2017. Ain't nobody trading for him lol.

Well take a kicking tee, some Miller High Life's and a off brand Walmart camping chair at this point.

I feel like if can get those Miller's in there its a steal.

Conditional 7th round pick based on how far the team he's traded to makes it in the playoffs.

I'll take him on the Cowboys. Would like a receiver out of the backfield. His contributions in the return game would be nice too.

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sproles is likely the most valuable RB on the roster, especially when you factor in his contributions on special teams. I don't understand why we'd want to trade him away (again, not that any team would trade for a guy who says he's going to retire).

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say trade one of the best offensive weapons on the team for no good reason????

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a classic Chip move Laughing

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of you are sounding real anti-Barkley/Guice right now. Sounding like a bunch of wimps. Do you want Barkley/Guice or not? Trading Sproles does what? Turns our 7 win team into a 6 win team? Sproles is done after this year! Trade him to a playoff team so he can go out with a little dignity and we can have an extra 5th round pick to package in our move up for Barkley or Guice. Sproles gets like 8 touches a game. Move on. Give those touches to Pomme Frites and Barner. Is Barner still on the roster? Trade him (Sproles) to SD. Err...The Chargers. Heck, trade him to Andy.

2018 Draft: Saquon Barkley + Court Sutton #20 #92 Fire Doof Pederson.
Fly Eagles Fly
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Sproles is likely the most valuable RB on the roster, especially when you factor in his contributions on special teams. I don't understand why we'd want to trade him away (again, not that any team would trade for a guy who says he's going to retire).

Cause were not playing for anything for 2 years at the least.

So you should go youth movement everywhere and get anything you can for any one over 29-30.

Also in Sproles case, hes not a good pass blocker, hes not a leader or means anything to the franchise, doesnt catch or run enough.

I would take anything for him.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to suck for Barkley bro. Not win 8 games. Confused Not talking

#BarkleyIsTheWay #BarkleyIsOurMessiah #BarkleyWillRunUsToTheSuperBowl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
A lot of you are sounding real anti-Barkley/Guice right now. Sounding like a bunch of wimps. Do you want Barkley/Guice or not? Trading Sproles does what? Turns our 7 win team into a 6 win team? Sproles is done after this year! Trade him to a playoff team so he can go out with a little dignity and we can have an extra 5th round pick to package in our move up for Barkley or Guice. Sproles gets like 8 touches a game. Move on. Give those touches to Pomme Frites and Barner. Is Barner still on the roster? Trade him (Sproles) to SD. Err...The Chargers. Heck, trade him to Andy.

Meh. Barkley is overrated and Guice has caught 14 balls in his college career. I'd be shocked if the Eagles picked either if they were on the board. I'm fully expecting to see them pick an OT in round 1. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles pick the other Georgia RB, Sony Michel, as a scheme fit later on if they went with an SEC RB.

I know. Blasphemy.
Jlash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
Jeezla wrote:

Meh. Barkley is overrated and Guice has caught 14 balls in his college career. I'd be shocked if the Eagles picked either if they were on the board. I'm fully expecting to see them pick an OT in round 1. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles pick the other Georgia RB, Sony Michel, as a scheme fit later on if they went with an SEC RB.

I know. Blasphemy.

So? It's just not something LSU asks a ton of with their RB's.
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
Jeezla wrote:

I know. Blasphemy.

Barkley overrated?

What?

Then has us passing on Chubbs to to take Michel later... What's going on in this post?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: