You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darren Sproles 2017 Expectations
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 31447
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Darren Sproles 2017 Expectations Reply with quote

What do you think of Sproles this season? Do you think he'll continue to serve as the team's 3rd down back? Is there a chance Ryan Mathews stays with the team?

What do you think Sproles' final statline will look like? Similar to what he produced in 2016?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danger


Joined: 30 Jul 2015
Posts: 1197
Location: Formerly - McMc
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see any situation in which Ryan Matthews is back on the Eagles this season.

LeGarrette Blount
Darren Sproles
Donnel Pumphrey

are all locks to make the team, and it's more than likely that Wendel Smallwood is the fourth guy. We might just keep 3, but seeing as Sproles and Blount aren't under contract next season I think we'll roll with Wendel too.

I think Sproles will do what he's done for us, just a little bit less often, he is aging, but I guess no one told him that though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 61132
Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Darren's production or role changing, barring injury. I don't think the age thing affects him all that much because he's in incredible shape and is NOT an every-down back, meaning he's usually got fresh legs throughout the game. With a better functioning offense in Carson and Doug's second years, there's a chance things work out better than last year. Also consider we were without Lane Johnson for 10 games last year.

Pumphrey is projected to be the long-term replacement but there's no way he's replacing Sproles this year. I think Sproles has pretty much said this is his last season so I expect him to go out with a bang and play with emotion. There's no guarantee Pumphrey ever sees the field or even if he did, that he'll be any good.

I don't see who else would do the Sproles role this season. It's all Sproles.

Blount seems to be Mathews' replacement as the first, second, and goal-line back. I don't know if Mathews is on the team when he gets healthy or not, because it seems like cutting him isn't an imperative for cap reasons.

The obvious locks are Blount and Sproles. I don't know that anyone else is an obvious lock. We just drafted Pumphrey so he might enjoy some first-year immunity and make the roster. Plus there's always the chance of injury at this position so who knows how things shake up.

I think we're a better team running with Mathews, Blount, and Sproles, than with just two of the vets and both Smallwood and Pumphrey. Mathews can play well when healthy.

It's really too early to say. We'll find out more when Mathews passes his physical since it's suspected that he's gone when he's healthy (we incur costs if we cut him while injured, in general terms).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
babyatemydingo


Joined: 15 Jan 2007
Posts: 7604
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren Sproles 2017 Expectations

None.
He's done.
He goes out how he goes out.
He's not a keeper.

If the Eagles are 2-6 after eight games yuu'd better hope he was traded.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjapirate


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 42661
Location: Vegas
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want an eagles running back for fantasy go with Blount. But I would say choose none as the best bet.
_________________
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Anna Kendricks are always nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MemphisEagles


Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 1772
Location: memphis
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

290 rushing yards, 370 receiving, 1 punt return TD, 1 rushing TD, 2 receiving TDs
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 37096
Location: Vancouver, Washington
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MemphisEagles wrote:
290 rushing yards, 370 receiving, 1 punt return TD, 1 rushing TD, 2 receiving TDs


Something like this..

I kinda expect him to do close to 280-300 yards rushing, 280-300 yards receiving and 280-300 yards returning and a few touchdowns here and there.

I think DP by game 6-7 is stealing reps from Sproles and cutting into his totals.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 37096
Location: Vancouver, Washington
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babyatemydingo wrote:
If the Eagles are 2-6 after eight games yuu'd better hope he was traded.


This would ideal. If you could get a late round pick for him, that be gold.

I don't know why Sproles wouldn't want to play for a ring to.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Phire


Moderator
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 61132
Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sproles is on record saying he'll retire after 2017. Ain't nobody trading for him lol.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 37096
Location: Vancouver, Washington
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phire wrote:
Sproles is on record saying he'll retire after 2017. Ain't nobody trading for him lol.


Well take a kicking tee, some Miller High Life's and a off brand Walmart camping chair at this point.

I feel like if can get those Miller's in there its a steal.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Danger


Joined: 30 Jul 2015
Posts: 1197
Location: Formerly - McMc
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Phire wrote:
Sproles is on record saying he'll retire after 2017. Ain't nobody trading for him lol.


Well take a kicking tee, some Miller High Life's and a off brand Walmart camping chair at this point.

I feel like if can get those Miller's in there its a steal.


Conditional 7th round pick based on how far the team he's traded to makes it in the playoffs.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
killdawabbit


Joined: 10 Sep 2006
Posts: 5941
Location: Somewhere you're not.
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just no. The team is FAR (yes, caps) better served keeping him to (in theory) help guys like Smallwood and Pumphrey develop than taking whatever conditional garbage some other team won't throw at them anyway. At that point, you're better off just releasing him for the cap space.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeezla


Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 19191
Location: 805
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
Just no. The team is FAR (yes, caps) better served keeping him to (in theory) help guys like Smallwood and Pumphrey develop than taking whatever conditional garbage some other team won't throw at them anyway. At that point, you're better off just releasing him for the cap space.

Ah yes, the Miles Austin "Mentor" role. I'm sure Sproles will teach these young bucks things Duce Staley could never even dream of.
_________________

2018 Draft: Saquon Barkley + Court Sutton #20 #92 Fire Doof Pederson.
Fly Eagles Fly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nabbs4u


Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Posts: 28998
Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Just no. The team is FAR (yes, caps) better served keeping him to (in theory) help guys like Smallwood and Pumphrey develop than taking whatever conditional garbage some other team won't throw at them anyway. At that point, you're better off just releasing him for the cap space.

Ah yes, the Miles Austin "Mentor" role. I'm sure Sproles will teach these young bucks things Duce Staley could never even dream of.


Actualy Sproles can. Duce sure as hell can teach/show live by example. Not in this Offense. Especially to a RB like Pumphrey. Sproles is in many ways no different then Chase Daniels last season for Wentz. Sure there was a QB coach, OC and HC but not on the field follow my example type teaching.

If your going to take that stance on Sproles then you Don't believe Alshon can have a positive impact on our young WR's either, right? It's all Groh? Nothing AJ can teach by example?
_________________

17' Bird Watch: QB Carson Wentz: 318Att//61% Comp//2430 Yds//25 TD//5 INT//224 Rush yds//QBR 103.4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Jeezla


Joined: 03 Mar 2008
Posts: 19191
Location: 805
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Just no. The team is FAR (yes, caps) better served keeping him to (in theory) help guys like Smallwood and Pumphrey develop than taking whatever conditional garbage some other team won't throw at them anyway. At that point, you're better off just releasing him for the cap space.

Ah yes, the Miles Austin "Mentor" role. I'm sure Sproles will teach these young bucks things Duce Staley could never even dream of.


Actualy Sproles can. Duce sure as hell can teach/show live by example. Not in this Offense. Especially to a RB like Pumphrey. Sproles is in many ways no different then Chase Daniels last season for Wentz. Sure there was a QB coach, OC and HC but not on the field follow my example type teaching.

If your going to take that stance on Sproles then you Don't believe Alshon can have a positive impact on our young WR's either, right? It's all Groh? Nothing AJ can teach by example?

Probably not. DJax trained with Jerry Rice and he still can't beat press coverage. Either these guys will get it or they won't, on their own. Jordan Matthews works his tail off all year and hasn't gotten better since week 1 of his rookie year. Zach Ertz practices right next to Brent Celek, but still hasn't learned how to break a tackle. Either something in their brain will click or it won't. Maybe a "mentor" is that something, but based on previous mentors, I doubt it. Trent Cole mentored B Graham, and B Graham coincidentally really wasn't good until 58 left. Miles Austin mentored Agholor and now Agholor is the worst WR in the NFL. DeMeco Ryans mentored Mychal Kendricks right into the dirt. We need to stop letting players mentor other players. Even Brian Dawkins was a terrible mentor outside of Michael Lewis.
_________________

2018 Draft: Saquon Barkley + Court Sutton #20 #92 Fire Doof Pederson.
Fly Eagles Fly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group