You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Backup QB Situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbsk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
Darbsk wrote:
Mr Raider wrote:
I mean honestly how many teams love their backup QB? It's such a hard position to find one quality player, so finding another is that much more difficult. And Carr is just so important to the team because he's that good and that valuable. So the idea of him going down is never going to sit well in terms of who comes in to replace him. However I'm not writing Cook off after 2 (not even full) bad games on the road against two of the top tier defenses, in playoff atmosphere games to boot (division was on the line against Denver). That's a spot very few guys would succeed in with not even any practice time for 90+ percent of the season. Manuel still has some taw toold so the staff said why not so we have some experience in the competition. I don't love what we have behind Carr but I struggle to think of many teams that love the situation behind their pro bowl QB..I'm interested to see how the competition plays out in camp and the preseason though.

Interesting to note in Minicamp that Manuel actually doesn't sound too bad and has jumped to #2 CB and thrown some pretty passes apparently. Now, this doesn't mean a lot really as Cook could have just had a bad few practices and Manuel a few bright ones but in reality I think what we're after (as Mr Raider alluded to above) is that should Carr get injured, we need a guy who can come in for a game or two and just be average and not lose us the game, I think both these guys can potentially do that for us this season and even though I was never a fan of Cook, it's difficult to judge him off such trying circumstances.

However, if Carr suffers a serious injury and either of these guys start for a prolonged period of time then I feel we are like almost every other team pretty much out of contention. Very, very few teams can play a large part of the season with a backup QB and get anywhere. Maybe if our OL and running game flourishes and the pass rush can spring to life we can replicate what Dallas did should the worst happen.

Manuel didn't actually jump Cook the staff just decided to change things up. Cook looked good with the #2's the day before and Manuel not so much with the 3's. Manuel had a good day yesterday and Cook had an off day with the 3's. Long way to go before that battle is decided. But it seems like they both were better with the 2's.

Fair points, and it makes sense not to judge too soon, long, long way to go and maybe they were better with the 2's due to better route running, hands etc. I was not a huge fan of Cook but hoping he can at least be a decent fall back option for a game or two. Manuel, who knows? I don't think anyone is expecting much at all so any decent play will be a pleasant surprise I guess.

I'm probably more comfortable with these guys backing up Carr than the likes of Kyle Boller, Charlie Frye or Matt Schaub Smile
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook IMO won't become much. You can't teach accuracy and he's been woefully inaccurate since his Michigan State days.

He's your typical "all the tools" guy. But you can't teach accuracy and touch. He's never going to this trade piece everyone is hoping for.

EJ will beat him out on experience alone. And as Carr goes, so goes the season.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: