Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL shortens Overtime to 10 minutes (permanently)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancerman

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine if after 12 rounds of a brutal boxing match the judges rule the fight a draw. Then they say, "since you killed each other for 36 minutes, one of you has to win and one of you has to lose, now hop on over to the speed bag, we are going to see who can go the longest".
KManX89

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
Imagine if after 12 rounds of a brutal boxing match the judges rule the fight a draw. Then they say, "since you killed each other for 36 minutes, one of you has to win and one of you has to lose, now hop on over to the speed bag, we are going to see who can go the longest".

Except that's not how it works in boxing. They assign points if there's no KO winner after 12 rounds, so that's a false equivalency.

Ties should still be banned, bruh. From ALL professional sports.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
lancerman wrote:

Except that's not how it works in boxing. They assign points if there's no KO winner after 12 rounds, so that's a false equivalency.

Uhhh yeah you can have draws in boxing. The fight can end and the judges can award both fighters the same amount of points. It's not a false equivalency, if you knew the sport.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
lancerman wrote:

So if a game goes all 4 qtrs, and OT, and at the last second a guy misses a super long field goal and boom, a tie. Everything that happened before wasn't entertaining? It was all for nothing?

I get not liking ties. I myself don't get the immense disdain for them, but I understand the logic of not liking them. I don't think the game becomes less entertaining because of what the score at the end is, if it was a good game, it was a good game. Regardless of the winner or a non winner.
MemphisEagles

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kicker gimmick idea might sound great to some of you until your team missed the playoffs because a kicking competition. At that point, why not just add pro bowl skills competitions to determine winners? Whichever QB can hit the most stationary targets wins...

The idea is stupid. I'm sorry. I don't see why everyone hates ties so much that they would rather the game end in a gimmick. And whether you win, lose, or draw affects others in the standings.

So how would you feel if your team missed the playoffs because a different team lost a kicking competition?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MemphisEagles wrote:
The kicker gimmick idea might sound great to some of you until your team missed the playoffs because a kicking competition. At that point, why not just add pro bowl skills competitions to determine winners? Whichever QB can hit the most stationary targets wins...

The idea is stupid. I'm sorry. I don't see why everyone hates ties so much that they would rather the game end in a gimmick. And whether you win, lose, or draw affects others in the standings.

So how would you feel if your team missed the playoffs because a different team lost a kicking competition?
Sad and angry.
lancerman

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do another 8 minute period. If you don't win after that, it's a tie. If it's the playoffs we go into a sudden death period where the team that one the coin toss at the start of the game gets to receive the ball.
MathMan

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 minutes is fine.
Ties are a better tiebreaker than that other crap.,

Hockey incorporates a pt for an OT loss.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

College overtime or GTFO
ConnPatFan

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't like about this is the added advantage the team that gets the ball has. Drives frequently go for 5+ mins, which leads to the other team having an added element of difficulty(time). I'm curious if anyone would still consider not taking the ball to start OT now.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnPatFan wrote:
What I don't like about this is the added advantage the team that gets the ball has. Drives frequently go for 5+ mins, which leads to the other team having an added element of difficulty(time). I'm curious if anyone would still consider not taking the ball to start OT now.

I doubt it. Unless the score was 0-0 or 3-3 going into O.T.

I still like my two 5 minute period idea. No sudden death but each team kicks off to start a period and each team has an equal chance.
Ryan_W

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teams already learn to live with losing to <insert missed 15 yard FG>
for ties happening as rarely as they do; teams will learn to live with this to
game changes for $ Sad .........
can't tackle a QB,
what are you going to do /shrug
Yin-Yang

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this board hates it, but I'm partial to college OT. I hate ties and the idea of a kicker's challenge, though.

biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember: the owners didn't make this change to fix overtime, they made this change to preserve Thursday Night Football revenue

One of the complaints about TNF was the added exhaustion of playing an OT game on TNF after playing the previous Sunday.
Or having to play on a short week after a Sunday OT game

The competition committee even stated that as the main reason for the change. That's why few here likes this latest change - because it was never about fixing OT, it was about the preserving the revenue generation that comes from TNF

( $ 450 million in TV rights + whatever streaming rights they can sell)

When it comes to the NFL, always follow the money...
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
College overtime or GTFO
yup, they need to just do this. The fans will love it. I think college overtime is the best, fair way of getting a winner. It's fast too.

Thanks to Jgoldiscool on the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: