You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL shortens Overtime to 10 minutes (permanently)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KManX89


Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 9419
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
A part of me hates this decision because of the increase in ties (talk about a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours) that'll surely follow.

I know I'll catch some flack for this, but I'm of the opinion that ties should be completely eliminated from sports. It's a game for entertainment value and ending a game to the tune of "nothing happened" is beyond stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time IMO. The NHL got rid of ties and they're better off because of it.

No they aren't. The way they decide games is the equivalent of the kicker shootout posted earlier in this thread or a home run derby.


Yes they are. Anything, I repeat ANYTHING is better than 2 teams murdering their bodies for 3 hours straight to a freaking stalemate.


Actually it's the best thing. It's like watching purgatory. Oh you killed yourself. Well you didn't win. But the good news is you didn't lose. Here's this stupid little number attached to your win loss column that screws your record up.


No it's not. It's stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time. Again, it's a game for entertainment value and there's no entertainment to be had in seeing two teams play to a freaking tie. Shortening OT obviously doesn't help, quite the contrary.

The NHL was right to eliminate ties. They should be completely abolished, IDGAFF what anyone says.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 15342
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
A part of me hates this decision because of the increase in ties (talk about a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours) that'll surely follow.

I know I'll catch some flack for this, but I'm of the opinion that ties should be completely eliminated from sports. It's a game for entertainment value and ending a game to the tune of "nothing happened" is beyond stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time IMO. The NHL got rid of ties and they're better off because of it.

No they aren't. The way they decide games is the equivalent of the kicker shootout posted earlier in this thread or a home run derby.


Yes they are. Anything, I repeat ANYTHING is better than 2 teams murdering their bodies for 3 hours straight to a freaking stalemate.


Actually it's the best thing. It's like watching purgatory. Oh you killed yourself. Well you didn't win. But the good news is you didn't lose. Here's this stupid little number attached to your win loss column that screws your record up.


No it's not. It's stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time. Again, it's a game for entertainment value and there's no entertainment to be had in seeing two teams play to a freaking tie. This obviously does nothing to help, quite the contrary.

The NHL was right to eliminate ties. They should be completely abolished, IDGAFF what anyone says.


So to determine the outcome between two equally talented teams (on that day) through 60 minutes we go to some system that doesn't even take into consideration 95% of the game? If players are out there for 60 minutes playing hard I don't think letting kickers determine the game would do any justice to those who fought all game long. Makes only ever so slightly more sense than a coin flip to determine which team is better after they battled to a tie.

I don't like ties...well, if it is other teams I find them amusing so I should say I don't like my team tying...but again that would be a pretty decent improvement so I will say if my team were competitive I wouldn't like my team tying and I think most fans feel the same way as far as their team being involved. What is much worse is taking a loss because at the end of regulation the opposing team took out my kicker as time expired when he made a 54 yard FG to take the game into O.T.
_________________
NudeTayne wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
*Zayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleXmad


Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 601
Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
A part of me hates this decision because of the increase in ties (talk about a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours) that'll surely follow.

I know I'll catch some flack for this, but I'm of the opinion that ties should be completely eliminated from sports. It's a game for entertainment value and ending a game to the tune of "nothing happened" is beyond stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time IMO. The NHL got rid of ties and they're better off because of it.

No they aren't. The way they decide games is the equivalent of the kicker shootout posted earlier in this thread or a home run derby.


Yes they are. Anything, I repeat ANYTHING is better than 2 teams murdering their bodies for 3 hours straight to a freaking stalemate.


Actually it's the best thing. It's like watching purgatory. Oh you killed yourself. Well you didn't win. But the good news is you didn't lose. Here's this stupid little number attached to your win loss column that screws your record up.


No it's not. It's stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time. Again, it's a game for entertainment value and there's no entertainment to be had in seeing two teams play to a freaking tie. Shortening OT obviously doesn't help, quite the contrary.

The NHL was right to eliminate ties. They should be completely abolished, IDGAFF what anyone says.


Ties are an extremely rare occurrence at best, (5 since 2012)

Between 1989 and 2008 there were 4 ties in the NFL period, The NFL isn't going to deal with such a small "issue" even though it really isn't an issue.

They exist so a game can fit in the air time given and the players won't be extremely tired the next week like it or not ties serve an imporant purpose.

Plus it's fun to laugh at a team when they can't score a TD (See cardinals vs. seahawks)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games <- Source.
_________________
I'm not an honest person, I'm just 50 honest hamsters in a trench coat that learned to type.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lancerman


Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 8685
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
A part of me hates this decision because of the increase in ties (talk about a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours) that'll surely follow.

I know I'll catch some flack for this, but I'm of the opinion that ties should be completely eliminated from sports. It's a game for entertainment value and ending a game to the tune of "nothing happened" is beyond stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time IMO. The NHL got rid of ties and they're better off because of it.

No they aren't. The way they decide games is the equivalent of the kicker shootout posted earlier in this thread or a home run derby.


Yes they are. Anything, I repeat ANYTHING is better than 2 teams murdering their bodies for 3 hours straight to a freaking stalemate.


Actually it's the best thing. It's like watching purgatory. Oh you killed yourself. Well you didn't win. But the good news is you didn't lose. Here's this stupid little number attached to your win loss column that screws your record up.


No it's not. It's stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time. Again, it's a game for entertainment value and there's no entertainment to be had in seeing two teams play to a freaking tie. Shortening OT obviously doesn't help, quite the contrary.

The NHL was right to eliminate ties. They should be completely abolished, IDGAFF what anyone says.


No it's actually not. Every single time a game is decided in overtime I see more people on this site and in the media [inappropriate/removed] about it being decided on a coin toss and debating endlessly about what should be done than you ever see when their is a tie. A tie is a logical outcome that actually makes sense. The integrity of the actual game is compromised when you go into overtime and the outcome is just some width washy diluted bs that is in some way unfair to one of the teams.

It's beyond insane to say we shouldn't have ties because you'd rather have an outcome that isn't indicative of the actual talent of the team's because "the players kill the selves". So the players who killed themselves should lose because of a coin flip or a field goal after an arbitrary number of possessions in sudden death? Makes no sense. A tie is logical. It doesn't compromise anything. A game in regulation was played and nobody won. It is what it is. And it's so rare that nobody would actually feel ripped off.
_________________
Signature
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrashMan510


Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Posts: 7206
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
A part of me hates this decision because of the increase in ties (talk about a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours) that'll surely follow.

I know I'll catch some flack for this, but I'm of the opinion that ties should be completely eliminated from sports. It's a game for entertainment value and ending a game to the tune of "nothing happened" is beyond stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time IMO. The NHL got rid of ties and they're better off because of it.

No they aren't. The way they decide games is the equivalent of the kicker shootout posted earlier in this thread or a home run derby.




Yes they are. Anything, I repeat ANYTHING is better than 2 teams murdering their bodies for 3 hours straight to a freaking stalemate.


Actually it's the best thing. It's like watching purgatory. Oh you killed yourself. Well you didn't win. But the good news is you didn't lose. Here's this stupid little number attached to your win loss column that screws your record up.


No it's not. It's stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time. Again, it's a game for entertainment value and there's no entertainment to be had in seeing two teams play to a freaking tie. This obviously does nothing to help, quite the contrary.

The NHL was right to eliminate ties. They should be completely abolished, IDGAFF what anyone says.


So to determine the outcome between two equally talented teams (on that day) through 60 minutes we go to some system that doesn't even take into consideration 95% of the game? If players are out there for 60 minutes playing hard I don't think letting kickers determine the game would do any justice to those who fought all game long. Makes only ever so slightly more sense than a coin flip to determine which team is better after they battled to a tie.

I don't like ties...well, if it is other teams I find them amusing so I should say I don't like my team tying...but again that would be a pretty decent improvement so I will say if my team were competitive I wouldn't like my team tying and I think most fans feel the same way as far as their team being involved. What is much worse is taking a loss because at the end of regulation the opposing team took out my kicker as time expired when he made a 54 yard FG to take the game into O.T.


Thats the point of the thing. The guys that worked really really hard and that were in that 60 minute car wreck are done. Special teams/kicking untis arent as tiny as the 5% you give them. Their roles are already big and now theyre even bigger. The o/d had their opportunity to win the game and they didnt.... Now decide the game that those players killed their bodies for instead of giving them a cot damn tie.

And the penalty kicks would be big time entertainment. Imagine the aggressiveness of the rushers to block the kicks and the lulz from the kickers. That ish would be intense
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lancerman


Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 8685
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
A part of me hates this decision because of the increase in ties (talk about a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours) that'll surely follow.

I know I'll catch some flack for this, but I'm of the opinion that ties should be completely eliminated from sports. It's a game for entertainment value and ending a game to the tune of "nothing happened" is beyond stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time IMO. The NHL got rid of ties and they're better off because of it.

No they aren't. The way they decide games is the equivalent of the kicker shootout posted earlier in this thread or a home run derby.




Yes they are. Anything, I repeat ANYTHING is better than 2 teams murdering their bodies for 3 hours straight to a freaking stalemate.


Actually it's the best thing. It's like watching purgatory. Oh you killed yourself. Well you didn't win. But the good news is you didn't lose. Here's this stupid little number attached to your win loss column that screws your record up.


No it's not. It's stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time. Again, it's a game for entertainment value and there's no entertainment to be had in seeing two teams play to a freaking tie. This obviously does nothing to help, quite the contrary.

The NHL was right to eliminate ties. They should be completely abolished, IDGAFF what anyone says.


So to determine the outcome between two equally talented teams (on that day) through 60 minutes we go to some system that doesn't even take into consideration 95% of the game? If players are out there for 60 minutes playing hard I don't think letting kickers determine the game would do any justice to those who fought all game long. Makes only ever so slightly more sense than a coin flip to determine which team is better after they battled to a tie.

I don't like ties...well, if it is other teams I find them amusing so I should say I don't like my team tying...but again that would be a pretty decent improvement so I will say if my team were competitive I wouldn't like my team tying and I think most fans feel the same way as far as their team being involved. What is much worse is taking a loss because at the end of regulation the opposing team took out my kicker as time expired when he made a 54 yard FG to take the game into O.T.


Thats the point of the thing. The guys that worked really really hard and that were in that 60 minute car wreck are done. Special teams/kicking untis arent as tiny as the 5% you give them. Their roles are already big and now theyre even bigger. The o/d had their opportunity to win the game and they didnt.... Now decide the game that those players killed their bodies for instead of giving them a cot damn tie.

And the penalty kicks would be big time entertainment. Imagine the aggressiveness of the rushers to block the kicks and the lulz from the kickers. That ish would be intense


If your argument is "these players break their bodies so it's unfair for it to end in a tie", then I don't see how you can justify having a team full of players that wrecked their bodies lose over something so cheesy as that.
_________________
Signature
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrashMan510


Joined: 14 Aug 2012
Posts: 7206
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it aint cheesy breh. its perfect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 15342
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
A part of me hates this decision because of the increase in ties (talk about a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours) that'll surely follow.

I know I'll catch some flack for this, but I'm of the opinion that ties should be completely eliminated from sports. It's a game for entertainment value and ending a game to the tune of "nothing happened" is beyond stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time IMO. The NHL got rid of ties and they're better off because of it.

No they aren't. The way they decide games is the equivalent of the kicker shootout posted earlier in this thread or a home run derby.




Yes they are. Anything, I repeat ANYTHING is better than 2 teams murdering their bodies for 3 hours straight to a freaking stalemate.


Actually it's the best thing. It's like watching purgatory. Oh you killed yourself. Well you didn't win. But the good news is you didn't lose. Here's this stupid little number attached to your win loss column that screws your record up.


No it's not. It's stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time. Again, it's a game for entertainment value and there's no entertainment to be had in seeing two teams play to a freaking tie. This obviously does nothing to help, quite the contrary.

The NHL was right to eliminate ties. They should be completely abolished, IDGAFF what anyone says.


So to determine the outcome between two equally talented teams (on that day) through 60 minutes we go to some system that doesn't even take into consideration 95% of the game? If players are out there for 60 minutes playing hard I don't think letting kickers determine the game would do any justice to those who fought all game long. Makes only ever so slightly more sense than a coin flip to determine which team is better after they battled to a tie.

I don't like ties...well, if it is other teams I find them amusing so I should say I don't like my team tying...but again that would be a pretty decent improvement so I will say if my team were competitive I wouldn't like my team tying and I think most fans feel the same way as far as their team being involved. What is much worse is taking a loss because at the end of regulation the opposing team took out my kicker as time expired when he made a 54 yard FG to take the game into O.T.


Thats the point of the thing. The guys that worked really really hard and that were in that 60 minute car wreck are done. Special teams/kicking untis arent as tiny as the 5% you give them. Their roles are already big and now theyre even bigger. The o/d had their opportunity to win the game and they didnt.... Now decide the game that those players killed their bodies for instead of giving them a cot damn tie.

And the penalty kicks would be big time entertainment. Imagine the aggressiveness of the rushers to block the kicks and the lulz from the kickers. That ish would be intense


If your argument is "these players break their bodies so it's unfair for it to end in a tie", then I don't see how you can justify having a team full of players that wrecked their bodies lose over something so cheesy as that.


Yeah if you want to determine a winner from a game of football do it playing football not doing parlor tricks.

The outcome of a game should represent the game itself as much as possible. If they were evenly matched and they tied it makes sense. If they were evenly matched but your kicker got hurt and you lost that proves nothing. Even if he doesn't get hurt or even if you win it still proves nothing. If watching kickers is exciting then they need to create their own sport, I prefer watching football.
_________________
NudeTayne wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
*Zayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MemphisEagles


Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 1772
Location: memphis
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
MemphisEagles wrote:
CrashMan510 wrote:
solution.

NFL penalty shots


after regaulation,T.



So ultimately 3 hours of football is meaning and comes down to kickers....

This is just the league pretending to care about player safety


Yeah. The team had 4 quarters to get a w. They didn't. Put the game on the kicking units.

Its new and i think itll be exciting. Plus no ties and the player safety the league cares oh so much about will be there


Better a tie than a gimmick that affects others in the standings
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MemphisEagles


Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 1772
Location: memphis
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
But seriously, does anyone have any data about injuries that occurred in the final 5 minutes of overtime?


Not sure about injuries but I saw it's only like 2 percent of games get that far
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 15342
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MemphisEagles wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
But seriously, does anyone have any data about injuries that occurred in the final 5 minutes of overtime?


Not sure about injuries but I saw it's only like 2 percent of games get that far


The longer you play the more chance of injuries obviously. Towards the end of games when muscles start to get tired and your body relies more on structure for support the more likely injuries would occur also I would imagine. You do have 53 men on your roster though so you can substitute if players are wearing down.

Also there is only like 11 minutes of actual play per game so about 5 minutes for offense and 5 minutes for defense. Maybe that isn't enough action for the muscles to begin taking breaks unless there has been an minor injury.
_________________
NudeTayne wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
*Zayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyers0909


Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Posts: 12754
Location: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KManX89 wrote:
flyers0909 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:
A part of me hates this decision because of the increase in ties (talk about a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours) that'll surely follow.

I know I'll catch some flack for this, but I'm of the opinion that ties should be completely eliminated from sports. It's a game for entertainment value and ending a game to the tune of "nothing happened" is beyond stupid and a complete waste of everyone's time IMO. The NHL got rid of ties and they're better off because of it.

No they aren't. The way they decide games is the equivalent of the kicker shootout posted earlier in this thread or a home run derby.


Yes they are. Anything, I repeat ANYTHING is better than 2 teams murdering their bodies for 3 hours straight to a freaking stalemate.

Two teams murdering their bodies for 3 hours straight and then having the outcome of the game determined by a gimmick is infinitely worse then having it end in a tie.
_________________

Smack on the Lindor
Rammy on the Claude
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChazStandard


Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 7095
Location: The bandwagon, hop on up!
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I'm coming at it from a European angle, where most league sports regularly have ties, and from being a cricket fan (where a 5 day game can end in a draw), but I don't have a problem with just abolishing regular season OT completely.

More ties in the regular season isn't going to ruin anything, and besides - ties can have their own tension. It's interesting. A tie can feel like a win or a loss, depending on context.
_________________
Adopt-a-Pat
2014 - Rob Gronkowski TE: Rec: 82 Yds: 1124 TD: 12
2015 - Rob Ninkovich DE: Tkl: 52 Sck: 6.5 FF: 1 FR: 1 INT: 0 PD: 7
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelKing728


Joined: 23 Aug 2008
Posts: 23563
Location: PGH
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
Bad change imo. Ties suck and this is likely going to increase the rate of them to shave off just a couple minutes of game time.


I hope this happens, hurts the product, and the NFL eliminates ties altogether.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KManX89


Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 9419
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazStandard wrote:
More ties in the regular season isn't going to ruin anything.




SteelKing728 wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
Bad change imo. Ties suck and this is likely going to increase the rate of them to shave off just a couple minutes of game time.


I hope this happens, hurts the product, and the NFL eliminates ties altogether.


This.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group