Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Relaxes TD Celebration Rules
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 15320
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
Breesus mode wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
I'm a big fan of the whole "act like you've been there before" mantra. So I'm glad we can expose the clowns


I'm not. Scoring a touchdown in the NFL is not a normal moment. It deserves more then a normal reaction, its the coolest and hardest thing to do in all of sports, it deserves a epic celebration..


It's not even close to the hardest thing to do in sports. At all. Second twerking or doing a choreographed dance isn't epic. At all, it's actually kind of geeky and shoes a need for attention.


Nah twerking and dancing is fun. I like seeing players looking like they're enjoying themselves.


Yeah I prefer to not see 20 something year old millionaires acting like drunk college girls at frat party, but that's just me. Looking at you Antonio Brown.

Yes, how dare a player show emotion! Rolling Eyes

Thank god your idiotic line of thinking is dying off.


I don't get the sensitivity to it. A high five is showing emotions. Spiking the ball is showing emotion. Fist pumping is showing emotion. Yelling at the top of your lungs is showing emotions. It's almost involuntary.

Doing some type of pre planned routine is something else. I've never seen someone ace a final and then jump into some dance routine. I've never seen someone close a big deal at work and do the bow and arrow routine. And if they do, they pre planned it and it had nothing to do with emotion, it had to do with them wanting to do something to get attention.

If your argument is, the players shouldn't be penalized for that sort of thing, I get that, and I actually agree with that.

But don't make some lame argument like it's just players showing emotion and it's so unfair that a business that wants to promote an image tried to regulate it. And if that's really necessary to your enjoyment of the game, I have to question how much you actually like the game, if that's your big thing.


I agree with this completely. I don't have a problem with attention seekers or showing the other team up as a fan, the players can deal with that in their own way. Obviously a lot of people are entertained by choreographed dances and excessive celebrations so why penalize players for it. Some people won't like it, but either way real fans aren't tuning out, the NFL may believe they are though.

To claim choreographed dance moves are an emotional celebration is laughable though. Same with a bat flip in baseball or hanging on a rim in basketball. You are seeking attention which may be very helpful to your wallet if enough people take notice and you get some advertising deals but still, it's planned not an emotional reaction.

I think I just won this thread and I will celebrate as naturally as I can...



_________________
NudeTayne wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
*Zayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 22833
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Baseball is the worst in this area, the overseas baseball games I have seen and heard to be much more fun. Much better atmosphere and the players are able to express them selves more. Like I'm not even close to a baseball fan but that Jose Bautista bat flip was freakin cool and then I see altercations break out cos of it then I'm like "Really?"

It's just American sports, look at the World Cup in Brazil 3 years ago. People expressing themselves. In football that would've been an automatic flag. It silly. Does it ruin the game? no. Does it make a difference as to whether I watch the spectacle or not? No. But by doing that it doesn't maximise my entertainment and makes it less fun. I wanna know "what this player gonna do when he scores a TD?" I like that. I don't get why people in general take sports so seriously, even moreso when it comes to this.
_________________


Be Humble. Sit Down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyers0909


Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Posts: 12754
Location: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:

I have seen high schoolers hit home runs out of the Mariners stadiums in state playoffs.. lol there isn't a high schooler alive who could take a hit from Kam Chancellor and would get up and be able to go again.

These aren't even close to being comparable Laughing
_________________

Smack on the Lindor
Rammy on the Claude
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 3870
Location: Hollywierd
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some celebrations allowed and less OT is a good start. I think the rules saying 'NO' is why the celebrations became even more noticeable. Made people try to get more creative to get around the rule. Now just celebrate without thinking and it should get better...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lancerman


Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 8653
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyers0909 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:

I have seen high schoolers hit home runs out of the Mariners stadiums in state playoffs.. lol there isn't a high schooler alive who could take a hit from Kam Chancellor and would get up and be able to go again.

These aren't even close to being comparable Laughing


Well unless those high schoolers were hitting home runs off Clayton Kershaw. Which I doubt.

It's a bad argument though. Every year high school kids score TD's at Gillette stadium in the state finals. My college football team played at Gillette while their stadium was getting renovated, they scored TD's there too.

It's about who you are playing not where.
_________________
Signature
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 37110
Location: Vancouver, Washington
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyers0909 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:

I have seen high schoolers hit home runs out of the Mariners stadiums in state playoffs.. lol there isn't a high schooler alive who could take a hit from Kam Chancellor and would get up and be able to go again.

These aren't even close to being comparable Laughing


The really good players go from high school to a few minor league games then to the pros.

My point was the distance isn't that impressive really , it's not like it's crazy accomplishment . And I understand the difference in pitching, still doesn't make it that much more of a impressive thing to do. 10 mph difference...whooaaa...big deal.


The best high school player in the country could probably suit up for the Yankees tomorrow of need be. Cause there nothing physically demanding or challenging really about baseball.

Scoring in the NFL is so much harder cause of the physical demands needed to score. Richard Sherman violently hitting you in the chest as you try and run then him sticking to you like glue as you both go up for the ball and his crazy go gadget arms are extending and then all you see is blackness as Kam Chancellor just came in and knocked you into the underworld , that's as hard as it gets.. there is nothing scarier or more intense or challenging then going up for a ball or taking a hand off , it's truly playing Russian Roulette with your body-mind. And to take it the entire distance is just so hard to do, specially with out having to take a ambulance ride.

I can't believe I'm on a football forum explaining why football is so great and challenging .. Rolling Eyes
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 37110
Location: Vancouver, Washington
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the bow and arrow celebration ban is silly..i.just assume the guys from the South or Midwest and likes to bow hunt. Wouldn't you want to spread archery as a solid past time to kids? Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flyers0909


Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Posts: 12754
Location: Philadelphia, PA
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
The really good players go from high school to a few minor league games then to the pros.

This is just so false it tells me you have no clue what you're talking about.
_________________

Smack on the Lindor
Rammy on the Claude
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 23183
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyers0909 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
The really good players go from high school to a few minor league games then to the pros.

This is just so false it tells me you have no clue what you're talking about.

Also 10 mph difference on pitch speeds not meaning anything.
_________________
If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 37110
Location: Vancouver, Washington
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol @ you guys seriously trying to down play the significance and difficulty of scoring in the NFL..

If home runs were so amazing , why does nobody go to baseball games anymore or even watch it?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 37110
Location: Vancouver, Washington
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some simple googling says it's common for high schoolers to throw in the 90s now. I guess the top prospect throws 102 mph hour. So my point stands. Eggghh ....Not that big of a deal.


Catching a ball in front Luke Kuechey and trying to take it to the house way more scarier, intense, harder to do , you could up end with a busted back for life..

Again why it deserves the most epic celebrations of epic celebrations. It's just the hardest most epic thing to do in sports.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleXmad


Joined: 09 Jan 2017
Posts: 564
Location: Baltimore, Maryland.
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Some simple googling says it's common for high schoolers to throw in the 90s now. I guess the top prospect throws 102 mph hour. So my point stands. Eggghh ....Not that big of a deal.


Catching a ball in front Luke Kuechey and trying to take it to the house way more scarier, intense, harder to do , you could up end with a busted back for life..

Again why it deserves the most epic celebrations of epic celebrations. It's just the hardest most epic thing to do in sports.


It's not the hardest thing to do in sports, It's close but there are other things.

Like breaking a world record.
_________________
I'm not an honest person, I'm just 50 honest hamsters in a trench coat that learned to type.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lancerman


Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 8653
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
Some simple googling says it's common for high schoolers to throw in the 90s now. I guess the top prospect throws 102 mph hour. So my point stands. Eggghh ....Not that big of a deal.


Catching a ball in front Luke Kuechey and trying to take it to the house way more scarier, intense, harder to do , you could up end with a busted back for life..

Again why it deserves the most epic celebrations of epic celebrations. It's just the hardest most epic thing to do in sports.


You sound like your middle school talking about how "epic" and "intense" it is. Not saying you are, but you're making a dozen false analogies that everyone is seeing through to prove that football is the coolest sport (it is, but you're doing it a disservice).

Physically it's much harder to hit a baseball of a MLB pitcher. Far more difficult.

You can get a TD on busted coverage and have a RB walk into the endzone. You can't fake taking a MLB pitch to the bleachers.

Last year Mike Trumbo led the league in Home Runs. He had 47 which is an impressive number. He 613 at bats. So he hit a home run 7.6% of the time he had a chance to do so.

Being generous to your case Blount scored the most rushing TD's in the league last year. He got 18 off 299 attempts (he led the league in attempts). He 6.0% of the time he scored a TD.

So there was a whopping 1.7% difference.

The reality (and unfortunate thing for you) is though that at the vast majority of at bats Trumbo had conisted of more than one pitch. So if you assume he averaged two and at bat (an extremely conservative figure) you cut that in half to 3.8%. The reality is though that the average at bat consists of well over 3.8 pitches per at bat. So going off that are dropping it down to 2.5% and that's rounding it down from 3.8 to 3.0 in your favor. So the reality is he's hitting a HR about 2% of the time for each pitch he takes.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL.... Blount was not expected to get a TD or even close on every single attempt he had. 12 of Blounts 18 TD's came inside the 5 yard line. He had 24 attempts inside the 5. Meaning he scored a TD 50% of the time he ran the ball inside the 5 yard line. 16 of his 18 TD's came inside the 20. He had 68 attempts inside the 20. He scored a TD 23% of the time there.

So Blount scored 2/3rds of his TD's inside the 5 where he had a whopping 50% success rate. And had a 23% success rate in the redzone in general, which is about as far back as you can assume he was actually being schemed to score a TD.

And that's the position where you can get hit at any point from the second you are handed the ball behind the line of scrimmage.
_________________
Signature
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Malik


Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 8734
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
Breesus mode wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
lancerman wrote:
I'm a big fan of the whole "act like you've been there before" mantra. So I'm glad we can expose the clowns


I'm not. Scoring a touchdown in the NFL is not a normal moment. It deserves more then a normal reaction, its the coolest and hardest thing to do in all of sports, it deserves a epic celebration..


It's not even close to the hardest thing to do in sports. At all. Second twerking or doing a choreographed dance isn't epic. At all, it's actually kind of geeky and shoes a need for attention.


Nah twerking and dancing is fun. I like seeing players looking like they're enjoying themselves.


Yeah I prefer to not see 20 something year old millionaires acting like drunk college girls at frat party, but that's just me. Looking at you Antonio Brown.

Yes, how dare a player show emotion! Rolling Eyes

Thank god your idiotic line of thinking is dying off.


I don't get the sensitivity to it. A high five is showing emotions. Spiking the ball is showing emotion. Fist pumping is showing emotion. Yelling at the top of your lungs is showing emotions. It's almost involuntary.

Doing some type of pre planned routine is something else. I've never seen someone ace a final and then jump into some dance routine. I've never seen someone close a big deal at work and do the bow and arrow routine. And if they do, they pre planned it and it had nothing to do with emotion, it had to do with them wanting to do something to get attention.

If your argument is, the players shouldn't be penalized for that sort of thing, I get that, and I actually agree with that.

But don't make some lame argument like it's just players showing emotion and it's so unfair that a business that wants to promote an image tried to regulate it. And if that's really necessary to your enjoyment of the game, I have to question how much you actually like the game, if that's your big thing.


Are you aware that a great many people across the world dance when they are happy or accomplish something? Serious question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bednarik60


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 37110
Location: Vancouver, Washington
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see AJ Green do the CPR on the football for a salute to Ocho..

And i would love to see Gronk do the cheerleader pom poms for a little salute to T.O.

(Or anyone really good do those two celebrations)

That would make the 2017-2018 season beautiful..
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group