Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL eliminates 75 man cut down
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
El ramster

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calibucsfan wrote:
The cuts was what made hard knocks so fun to watch..

Everyone would hide lol

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Calibucsfan wrote:
The cuts was what made hard knocks so fun to watch..

Everyone would hide lol

I always loled at that.

"We can't find John. Oh well, let's cut Mike instead."

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it. If they would be cut to go to 75 the team isn't all of a sudden going to put them on the 53 after 1 preseason game.

On the other side getting cut allowed teams to pick up some players and have a week to look at them in practice and maybe on game day. that is a big deal.

I think this ends up hurting those players, and frankly the teams too, more than it can help.

#JDI
MemphisEagles

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is actually good for the players. Now the only way they get cut before the final cuts is either if there is an injury and they need that roster spot, or if you absolutely suck.

And how often are players cut at the 75 trim time and then make it to a different 53 man roster?

I'm sure the players would rather have a bit more job security and the 4th pre-season game to show their skills over the small chance they are one of the lucky few. And it's not like they can't ask to be cut.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with the change.

Teams can keep or still cut guys whenever they like.

They can keep enough guys for that 4th preseason game, where starters and even bench players you know are on the 53, can be rested.

Have 37 players playing in that final game, who will be cut the next day.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One immediate effect we will see is even fewer first team snaps in the preseason.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
bananabucket wrote:
MathMan wrote:
good.

no downside to that IMO

What's the upside?

I'd rather have an opportunity to trim the fat and be able to focus more on guys that actually have a chance.

Not having to play starters in the last meaningless game.

Besides, for those worried that veterans won't get a chance to latch on elsewhere, I can see coaches/front offices with some degree of class let veterans go before the cut down day to still give them the chance to make a different team's roster. For years, the Bengals would cut those type of veterans earlier than rookies that were clearly inferior. That can still happen. teams release players the day after games all the time, not just on cut-down days.

I'm pretty sure most teams still do this. I can't think of one team that doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see this, allows bubble guys more of a chance to prove themselves.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:

On the down side, it may negatively impact these bubble guys landing on rosters.

This was my concern as well. I have a feeling teams will honor an unnofficialy pre-cutdown day where they release those guys who don't fit into their plans to give them a shot at another roster. It is beneficial for all teams and players if this becomes common practice.

Sigs-Taking Requests
2016 Adpot-A-Patriot: Jimmy Garropolo
70% 496yds 4 TD 0 INT 117.1 PR
Forge

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
MWil23 wrote:

On the down side, it may negatively impact these bubble guys landing on rosters.

This was my concern as well. I have a feeling teams will honor an unnofficialy pre-cutdown day where they release those guys who don't fit into their plans to give them a shot at another roster. It is beneficial for all teams and players if this becomes common practice.

This would more or less be the way I'd handle it. I like having it removed, just in case you do have some truly legitimate roster bobble guys you want more time with. But I'd still be making cuts throughout the preseason to whittle it down.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
Good to see this, allows bubble guys more of a chance to prove themselves.

This^
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
One immediate effect we will see is even fewer first team snaps in the preseason.

Maybe. But the roster cut down was after week 3 of preseason. This only adds more players to game 4, a game where most starters don't see much time at all. It might actually decrease the PT of guys that would have been a tough final cut.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd be better off expanding the 53 man roster and active game day roster then worrying about hurt feelings. Those "on the bubble" players everyone keeps eluding to could still potentially make the team with the extra 2-3 added spots.

That's an extra 64-96 "potential" NFL success stories each year waiting to happen. I've never understood why that # hasn't been increased.

2017 Bird Watch: WR Jordan Matthews: Gm/ Tgt // Rec// Yds// TD// Y/R
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
They'd be better off expanding the 53 man roster and active game day roster then worrying about hurt feelings. I've never understood why that # hasn't been increased.

Owners are reluctant to pay more players their medical benefits
Its a bs excuse, but money talks. I'd advocate for 54 -56 per team

As far as the game day rosters, the league pushes back because they don't want an uneven playing field if one team has 12 injuries and the other team only has 5. It happens, but rather infrequently.

The other reason given for the 46 game day actives is that the League is concerned about teams employing gimmick players. By limiting the game day rosters, it keeps that issue in check. 400 lb fullbacks, 7 foot TEs that can block FGs, Olympic track stars that run fast and straight. The League wants football players on the field

There have been several movements to change those numbers, but they've not made it past the Competition Committee in years past
Maybe during the next CBA talks in a couple of years
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
They'd be better off expanding the 53 man roster and active game day roster then worrying about hurt feelings. I've never understood why that # hasn't been increased.

Owners are reluctant to pay more players their medical benefits
Its a bs excuse, but money talks. I'd advocate for 54 -56 per team

As far as the game day rosters, the league pushes back because they don't want an uneven playing field if one team has 12 injuries and the other team only has 5. It happens, but rather infrequently.

The other reason given for the 46 game day actives is that the League is concerned about teams employing gimmick players. By limiting the game day rosters, it keeps that issue in check. 400 lb fullbacks, 7 foot TEs that can block FGs, Olympic track stars that run fast and straight. The League wants football players on the field

There have been several movements to change those numbers, but they've not made it past the Competition Committee in years past
Maybe during the next CBA talks in a couple of years

While I don't disagree necessarily with anything above , what about the opposite? When injury does dictate who "has" to play rather then the best 46 actualy being active? I remember in years past players like Vinny Curry not being active because we needed an extra OL or CB due to Injury and or suspension. It wasn't that he didn't deserve that spot, couldn't of been used but they literally couldn't afford to use it on a DE only having 6 active OL or 3-4 CB.

For every gimmick suggestion you made I could counter with the need of a extra CB, Safety, WR, DE for packages against specific opponents not being available because of said Injuries or wasted spots on other players.

I get Owners being all about the $$ but if they truly wanted to put the best product on the field with the best chance at winning games, expanding the roster would achieve that. Then players you've drafted, brought in or are returning Vets wouldn't slip through the cracks, be cut as #53/#54 or stolen up off Teams PS because​ their own team can't make the numbers work "for that year". There are dozens of players every year who should be on a 53 man roster but won't be because of the limited numbers. Hopefully at least that changes in the future.

2017 Bird Watch: WR Jordan Matthews: Gm/ Tgt // Rec// Yds// TD// Y/R

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: