You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Position Battles
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLambert58

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Position Battles Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing the competitive positional players duke it out for a roster spot. Especially, CB, WR, & OLB.

Would be fantastic if all the rookies make the team. Hope Allen & Adams can catch on quickly and make a mark.

Early predictions:

WR: AB, Bryant, JuJu, Coates, Eli, Hunter

Ayers to the PS, DHB finally gets his handshake with all the young bucks on ST

CB: Burns, Cockrell, Gay, Sutton, Allen

Golson can't flip the switch, Sensabaugh is expendable

OLB: Deebo, Dupree, Watt, Chick, Adams

Adams shows enough to push Moats out

This is what I want to happen more so than the highest probability. What say you?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbs v Jones
Chicklo v Adams
Sutton v Golson
Ayers v Rogers

Those are the real battles.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:

Dobbs v Jones

This isn't much of a battle imo. Dobbs isn't ready to start. While Landry doesn't inspire huge amounts of confidence, he did flash some in the Cleveland game and looked like a legit QB. Dobbs won't be trusted to start a game this year unless the SHTF.

Chicklo v Adams

Chick was evaluated by (PFF?) some site that charted his missed tackles and he had zero in 2016 in 318 snaps or so. I don't think there is any way Chickillo is knocked off the team by Adams or anyone else. He is still cheap too btw. Moats is an average player, great human being, but he is older & more expensive and not as good on ST. He is the vulnerable one here.

Sutton v Golson

This is actually a four man battle for the slot: Gay, Sutton, Golson & Sensabaugh. To dismiss Gay is an oversight imo. He is a wily veteran who will not go down without a fight. His experience is valuable. Golson has shown nothing so far and his first two years doesn't inspire confidence that he can be a reliable starter. Sensabaugh has shown to be effective in the slot and has NFL experience.

Ayers v Rogers

This will be one to watch. Rogers has more experience at this point, but Ayers probably has more talent/upside. I like the idea of Ben having his quick, shifty guys who will YAC their way down field, his tough security blanket and his tall boys to chuck it to medium and long.

Those are the real battles.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be nice if someone can step up as a kickoff returner.

Sutton was a terrific punt returner in college will he take over for Brown?

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig

Last edited by 1BackInBlackFan on Mon May 22, 2017 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
jcm412

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have to question Gay. He looked like he lost a lot by the end of last season. I also don't have much faith in Glson after sitting out of football for two straight years.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
I really have to question Gay. He looked like he lost a lot by the end of last season. I also don't have much faith in Glson after sitting out of football for two straight years.

He definitely looked a step slow at times last year. But Gay is someone who has proved reliable playing week in and week out for years without significant injury. That, in and of itself, is valuable and almost guarantees he makes the team. (in addition to his other obvious value)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gay has always struggled here and there. We have no one obviously better to replace him with. He is well respected in the locker room and is a leader in the secondary. Plus, he is pretty cheap.

He isnt going anywhere this year. Next year I could see a big shakeup in the secondary. Then again, Ive said that several times over the last decade and the change up is always too gradual for my liking.

Like this year....next to no change. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't miss a tackle if you are unable to make it to the play. Can't miss a tackle if you're unable to get off a block. Chickillo was given an opportunity yet failed to take advantage of it. He's easily replaceable.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
shawn l brown

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gay has always struggled here and there. We have no one obviously better to replace him with. He is well respected in the locker room and is a leader in the secondary. Plus, he is pretty cheap.

He isnt going anywhere this year. Next year I could see a big shakeup in the secondary. Then again, Ive said that several times over the last decade and the change up is always too gradual for my liking.

Like this year....next to no change. Crying or Very sad
you don't keep old and slow.

you keep younger and faster with a good football IQ.

When you lose a atep you play safety,
when you lose two steps you get cut.
we do it with LBS, we should do it with CB to.

That is the only way to build a complete backfield,
it takes time.The more you keep the old bad players,
the longer it takes to build because you let people
that have not had a chance to play go.

Just go in look at when we kept Allen, and let go Louis,
We should have cut Taylor he was on the way down.
lets see what we have it might just surprise you.
.Plus we already Know what we have with Gay and that not that good.
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Position Battles Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
Looking forward to seeing the competitive positional players duke it out for a roster spot. Especially, CB, WR, & OLB.

Would be fantastic if all the rookies make the team. Hope Allen & Adams can catch on quickly and make a mark.

Early predictions:

WR: AB, Bryant, JuJu, Coates, Eli, Hunter

Ayers to the PS, DHB finally gets his handshake with all the young bucks on ST

CB: Burns, Cockrell, Gay, Sutton, Allen

Golson can't flip the switch, Sensabaugh is expendable

OLB: Deebo, Dupree, Watt, Chick, Adams

Adams shows enough to push Moats out

This is what I want to happen more so than the highest probability. What say you?

I hope they keep Hunter.

Let DHB go. Ayers to the practice squad. Maybe gets scooped up.

Would love old man river Moats gets cut

There's no way they sign Sensabaugh and cut him in the same season.

The only competition of note is at CB.

FC - Cockrell, Sutton, Golson, Allen
BC - Burns
SC - Gay, Sensabaugh, Golson, Sutton

I think Golson wins the field corner battle and Sensabaugh wins the slot corner battle. Gay and Cockrell get CUT
theironcitykid

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WR position battle is good I guess but I expect it to be a committee approach and schematics with player skill sets. Rogers, Coates, JuJu split the reps
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn l brown wrote:
you don't keep old and slow.

you keep younger and faster with a good football IQ.

And where exactly is this abundance of young, fast, high IQ corners we have?

Seriously...I wanna know.

The Steelers value leadership and locker room guys. We dont have the talent at CB to push Gay off the roster.

I stand by what I said.

Quote:
When you lose a atep you play safety,
when you lose two steps you get cut.
we do it with LBS, we should do it with CB to.

Who is pushing him off the roster?

Quote:
That is the only way to build a complete backfield,
it takes time.The more you keep the old bad players,
the longer it takes to build because you let people
that have not had a chance to play go.

Again, who is pushing him off the roster?

Quote:
Just go in look at when we kept Allen, and let go Louis,
We should have cut Taylor he was on the way down.

???

Lewis wanted to play for his hometown team. I dont think he had any plans of sticking around.

Allen was paid AFTER Lewis left out of desperation.

Paying Ike was a bad decision.

None of these really apply to Gay. He is a low cost veteran who will make the team because we lack the talent to replace him. Thats the cold harsh reality of the matter.

Quote:
lets see what we have it might just surprise you.

I hope it does.

I dont think it will....not enough to push Gay out THIS year, anyway.

Quote:
.Plus we already Know what we have with Gay and that not that good.

You can say the same for Cockrell.

Again, Steelers value players like Gay because of character. Its the same reason we kept guys like Larry Foote, Ryan Clark and DeShea Townsend longer than we should have.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a whole lot of position battles this year.

QB - none - we know who will be 1-2-3
RB - none - we know 1-2 anyway
TE - none
WR - The top 2 are set in stone barring injuries/suspensions. #3-4 is as good as done too (Rogers & JuJu). So you're only battling for fringe roster spots, amongst scrubs.
OL - none

DL - none
ILB - maybe there will be some competition, but I don't imagine it will be much
OLB - I don't see much competition there either. We know who the top 3 are. So the fringe roster spots are the only ones up in the air.
CB - that is the only one. That position is totally up in the air. Burns, Cockrell and what else?
S - not much competition here either really, with (presumably) Davis and Mitchell the obvious starters with very little pushing them.

This team should be damn good this year if they can stay healthy/not suspended.
jebrick

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the competition will be for depth

#1 RB is set.
competing for spots - Connor, Knile Davis, Toussaint, Terrell Watson, Trey Williams

There is no guarantee that any of the back-up RBs makes the roster. Connor is an excellent choice to go on the PS if pressed for space. Same as Watson.

LB will interesting. Fort, Galambos,Steven Johnson, Keith Kelsey, Matakevich are all competing for Special team spots and 2 positions as back ups

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Dcash4

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie Gay is a strictly slot, zone corner who has zero role on special teams. That's a pretty niche' set of skills for someone to take a roster spot who isnt extremely talented anymore.

I just think if there was ever a year for Gay to be cut, this is a good year for it. His talent has fallen off and his inability to fit multiple defensive schemes killed us at times last year. Tomlin seemed to stress the inability to play Man consistently as an area of focus for us, and thats a strike against Gay.

I also think the Vet presence of him on the roster is over blow. This defense is turning over into some guys who have now been around a while and have plenty of NFL experience. Hayward is in his 7th year, Tuitt and Shazier their 4th, Vince Williams his 5th, Harrison 15(!!!) - and then we have Mitchell with 9 years (4th with us), Moats in his 8th (4th w/ us), and new guys Alualu in his 9th, Sensabaugh in his 6th. Even a guy like Cockrell has been in the NFL 4 years and this will be his 3rd year starting with us.

I am not saying that Willie Gay does not make this roster, but if the Vet/Locker Room is the only reason - i think we have some issues.

IMO everyone after Burns is in a competition for a roster spot. Flexibility, upside, and special teams will be your way to stick a job - and Willie Gay provides none of those things.

I really hate whenever corners start fading in their careers and everyone just screams "Well, he can move to FS!!" because it doesnt happen often and not a lot of guys can make the transition. BUT I do believe if they view Gay as a possibility to play the 5th safety on the roster that greatly benefits him. I would like to see if they experiment with him there early in the offseason - if they do, it likely means they are searching for ways for him to make the final cuts.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: