You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NON-QB 2018 NFL Draft Prospects (Info, Talk, Ranking etc...)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mind Character

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: NON-QB 2018 NFL Draft Prospects (Info, Talk, Ranking etc...) Reply with quote

The 2018 Non-QB Class

Wanted to start a thread for info and discussion on next year's non-QBs.

Already started a thread on the QBs and saw people started to post about non-QBs in that thread so I thought a different thread could be started for those guys since QB discussion will take on it's own life in that thread and the talk on other non-QB prospects could be lost/paged.

Let the discussion begin!!!
---------------------

Quick Hitters:

1. Derwin James is not the player people are talking about him as and is not the top safety prospect in the next draft based on play thus far........

He is an amazing defensive prospect in his own right however. He's being heralded as the best safety in the draft and/or the best player in the draft. He is not that. He's likely the 3rd or 4th best FS prospect in the draft; the number 1 SS prospect in the draft; however, he will likely be converted to a nickel and/or 43-Outside Linebacker when it is all said in done depending on who drafts him because he shined in the box LB role for FSU a lot.

He comes with destructive intent to the ball throughout the game but he has a very very slow mental trigger as a deep safety in diagnosing the pass and the run.

FSU used him to range in the pass too much at times and should just use him in the Jamal Adams box destroyer role. Even in that role his instincts and mental trigger are not as decisive and urgent as Jamal Adams; however, I noticed in watching 9 games that his instincts and urgent movement takes over when he plays the OLB position.
-----------

2. Armani Watts is the best safety prospect in the draft even considering in Derwin James as the number 1 SS in the draft and it's not even close; the clear number 1 FS prospect in the draft; is a higher rated FS than Malik Hooker; and is the best FS prospect (the most complete and with the best ability) in the last 13 years (since Sean Taylor in 2004).

Few FS prospects have the run thumping violence Watts has along with range playmaking skills to disrupt the pass. Armani Watts also has elite quickness in his mental trigger in diagnosing the run followed by elite instincts in taking decisive angles to the ball destroying runners and underneath route receivers.

He's special. He plays like a more destructive and forceful Jabrill Peppers in the run with the ability and instincts of Malik Hooker in the pass game. Does not have the ball skills or range of Hooker, but his skills in those areas are still very high and advanced.

--------------------------

3. Godwin Igwebuike and Jordan Whitehead are special FS1 prospects as well with Godwin possessing a better and more forceful all around game.

I've been on their games since December. Godwin is a kamikazee destroyer in the run with elite hash to sideline movement explosiveness to disrupt the pass. He has it all in terms of a run defending pass disrupting FS prospect. Jordan Whitehead is more of a smooth athlete with some run support deficiencies, but his game in terms of ball skills and disrupting the passing game in the deep third is special.

The Browns getting 1 of Watts, Igwebuike, or Whitehead at FS has the chance to change the secondary. I'm not as high on Igwebuike and Whitehead (I see them as top 20-25 first round talents), but I see Armani Watts as a top-5 player much like Hooker was viewed before this year's draft.

He's the game changer. FS Armani Watts and SS Jabrill Peppers as safeties elevates our secondary to unparalleled heights imo.

--------------------------------

4. Minkah Fitzpatrick and Tarvarus McFadden are the best CB prospects I've seen since Patrick Peterson and both are likely to be even better than him.

Mcfadden wins with length, elite calmness, and instinctual eyes and timing to make plays on the ball. He's a notch above even the prototype. Minkah is more of a scrappy and urgent mover with the ability to thump in the run, but also quickly mentally trigger onto receiver routes and make a play on the ball. He also has safety/nickel versatility. Both are top 10 guaranteed players imo.

---------------------

5. Adonis Alexander CB VaTech might end up being better than both Fitzpatrick and McFadden when it's all said and done, Jaire Alexander CB Louisville has the production but the tape shows he is not on the level of Fitzpatrick, McFadden, and also a notch below Adonis Alexander.

------------------

6. I'm not yet seeing the special/rare AJ Green, Julio, Megatron WR1 prospect yet.

Size and speed wise Courtland Sutton has a chance to be that, but he has to work on his hands and route running. Christian Kirk is a nice catch an run Golden tate type player but talk of him being a WR1 that can go out and get you 90 plus catches is overstated to me. He has elite speed and quickness and will be an impact number 2 player like Golden Tate and Randall Cobb when he's at his best. Deebo Samuels and Antonio Callaway show elite ball skills and separation ability at times. They will likely be early round 2 gems.

--------------------

7. This is the year of the elite safety and elite CB.

Depth and Elite traits is there at the safety position from the number to number 7 prospect. Elite talent but not depth in talent is there at the CB position as the top 3 CBs have the ability to be the number 1 corners in the league early.

-----------------

8. We may find our Joe Thomas developmental replacement (if such a thing even exists) in the second round.

Tackle class is looking like it will have a lot of depth. Skill wise it's not a tremendous class, but there are more players on the level of Cam Robinson and Jack Conklin
(5/22/17) '18 QB1s: 1. Sam Darnold, 2. Luke Falk, 3. Josh Allen, 4. Josh Rosen, 5. Riley Ferguson, 6. Baker Mayfield / FS1s: 1. Armani Watts, 2. Godwin Igwebuike, 3. Jordan Whitehead / SS1: 1. Derwin James / CB1s: 1.T. McFadden, 2. M. Fitzpatrick

Last edited by Mind Character on Tue May 23, 2017 9:18 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mind Character

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaWg_LB. wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Malik Jefferson is a guy to watch next year from Texas. If we don't extend Demario Davis because he wants too much, Malik would be a monster WILL.

I've been talking about him since 2015....since I saw him as a Freshman.....similar to when I saw OJ Howard as a soph in 2014....last year it was 3...Freshman Ed Oliver (Hou) and the two kids from Auburn that will be taking over this year Marlon Davidson and Derrick Brown ....I always get a Freshman Crush...and track him/them for their college career......its something me and my old man use to do together....

So Welcome to the Derwin James/Malik Jefferson 2018 1rst round Draft Train (That's assuming we take care of QB....either we develop Kessler/Kizer or we take a shot at one of the FA next year Garappolo/Cousins)

Lot of possibilities with so much cap room, 2 1rst round picks, 3 2nd round picks and 2 4th round picks....the way I see our D developing this year...if you add those two players and solve QB.....that's a potential top 4/5 D under G.W. and an offense good enough to get it to playoffs.... Very Happy
(All WAY too early projections of a lot of things going right....)

See DaWg_LB and CM's posts above for non-QB prospect info on some interesting players.

Just adding the post over in the new non-QB thread
(5/22/17) '18 QB1s: 1. Sam Darnold, 2. Luke Falk, 3. Josh Allen, 4. Josh Rosen, 5. Riley Ferguson, 6. Baker Mayfield / FS1s: 1. Armani Watts, 2. Godwin Igwebuike, 3. Jordan Whitehead / SS1: 1. Derwin James / CB1s: 1.T. McFadden, 2. M. Fitzpatrick
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mind Character

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind Character wrote:
DaWg_LB. wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Malik Jefferson is a guy to watch next year from Texas. If we don't extend Demario Davis because he wants too much, Malik would be a monster WILL.

I've been talking about him since 2015....since I saw him as a Freshman.....similar to when I saw OJ Howard as a soph in 2014....last year it was 3...Freshman Ed Oliver (Hou) and the two kids from Auburn that will be taking over this year Marlon Davidson and Derrick Brown ....I always get a Freshman Crush...and track him/them for their college career......its something me and my old man use to do together....

So Welcome to the Derwin James/Malik Jefferson 2018 1rst round Draft Train (That's assuming we take care of QB....either we develop Kessler/Kizer or we take a shot at one of the FA next year Garappolo/Cousins)

Lot of possibilities with so much cap room, 2 1rst round picks, 3 2nd round picks and 2 4th round picks....the way I see our D developing this year...if you add those two players and solve QB.....that's a potential top 4/5 D under G.W. and an offense good enough to get it to playoffs.... Very Happy
(All WAY too early projections of a lot of things going right....)

See DaWg_LB and CM's posts above for non-QB prospect info on some interesting players.

Just adding the post over in the new non-QB thread

I haven't watched Jefferson yet. I'll have to check him out.

Yeah, I wish Ed Oliver was coming out this year.....

If you're on the Derwin James/Malik Jefferson 1st round hype train, I'm on the 1.) Armani Watts FS and 2.) Travarus Mcfadden/Minkah Fitzpatrick CB First round.

A lot can change in a year, but those three are such special talents that like predicting Myles Garrett being the number 1 prospect after his sophomore season was a good bet, I see predicting Armani, Minkah, and Travarus as top 3 prospects as being almost equally a sound bet.

To me, they will be along with SS/OLB Derwin James, the best prospects in the draft.

Any two of those three is a game changer for the browns.

I like Derwin James as a SS or OLB. I think Jabrill solves our SS problem, so I'd go Watts over James. In the original thread post, I specified my reasons. And for me, in terms of Watts over James, it's not even close.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Fitzpatrick, kid's a stud.

Haven't payed much attention to the rest tbh.
DaWg_LB.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Agree with Fitzpatrick, kid's a stud.

Haven't payed much attention to the rest tbh.

He caught my attention back in 2015....watching the Tide take on Texas A&M..it was the first time I had gotten a chance to try and watch Myles Garret in his Soph season (meant to catch him the week before vs Miss St. if memory servers me correctly) ......M.P. caught my attention there 2 pick 6's.....but not as one of the kids I claimed like Malik and Ed Oliver....But I put a mental note to keep an eye on him.
Good Kid...

Second Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
MWil23

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Kirksey moving to OLB, I would think that D. Davis will be gone after this year (I think he would have anyway), and a MIKE will be a need for this team.

Our secondary is a makeshift mess right now (we couldn't fix everything this year so that's ok), so I would love to see us get a legit ballhawking FS and shutdown corner.

If we don't resign Crow, I could see us getting a RB as well.

Obviously if Kizer doesn't pan out (or Kessler/both), then we're going QB1 all the way in 2018, whether via free agency (Jimmy/Cousins) or drafting one VERY high...but I know this isn't the thread for that. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strongly disagree with your Derwin James take. He's the best player in the draft next year and does not need to play LB. He is a stud that can play single high or roll down. Williams would use him as the single high & just have him head hunt.
brooks1957

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Crowell Leaves after this season via FA. The kid I want to bring in to replace him is Bo Scarborough of Bama. Once he sniffs an opening, he finds that proverbial "next gear" and hits it. All the great ones have it.
MWil23

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooks1957 wrote:
I think that Crowell Leaves after this season via FA. The kid I want to bring in to replace him is Bo Scarborough of Bama. Once he sniffs an opening, he finds that proverbial "next gear" and hits it. All the great ones have it.

Bo is too dinged/injury prone for my liking. I love the way he runs, but he looks like a classic muscle car to me. He's great/powerful/fast while he's on the road, but he's going to require a LOT of maintenance and you'll have to watch his mileage.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
Strongly disagree with your Derwin James take. He's the best player in the draft next year and does not need to play LB. He is a stud that can play single high or roll down. Williams would use him as the single high & just have him head hunt.

He's a great player. Don't get me wrong, BTC...I like him a lot. What qualities in his game do you think lend themselves to him being a single high guy?

I watched 9 games and was surprised to find how often he was used as a Box Rover SS and even more often a nickel and base LB. He was used a lot like Jermale Hines and Christian Bryant in the Star LB role that Ohio State used to run under Jim Heacock and Luke Fickell.

He shined in that role.

He struggled in single high in the pass game.

His slow mental trigger is easily available to see in the Houston game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygSibvDYV7c

check it out....he struggles identifying keying with his eyes in the deep third in the passing game as a FS. He shines cutting underneath routes from the SS position.

He is an exceptional SS prospect and box defender with sideline range imo.

I just don't see him as the best player in the draft, but he's so talented maybe I'll be proven wrong.

I actually see him as a SS, but I could see a nickel team turning him into effectively a SS a la Deon Buchanon. Their games are similar. A lot of ppl like to compare hybrid safeties to Buchanon, but it actually applies in this case however Derwin James is a more destructively forceful player.

Maybe you already have....but if you have time check out Armani Watts...he is what people are referring to Derwin James as imo. Both are great players in their own right.
Mind Character

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brooks1957 wrote:

I haven't seen any of his games. Will have to check him out.

Does anyone know of any other elite RB that might come out next year?

In particular, has anyone seen Kalen Ballage? Read an article today where someone said he's a top 5 RB guarantee and they compared him to Eddie but I have yet to see any of his game.
MWil23

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind Character wrote:

Barkley (PSU) and Chubb (Georgia).

Some like Guice from LSU as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
brooks1957 wrote:

Bo is too dinged/injury prone for my liking. I love the way he runs, but he looks like a classic muscle car to me. He's great/powerful/fast while he's on the road, but he's going to require a LOT of maintenance and you'll have to watch his mileage.

Great analysis, brother.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWil23 wrote:
Mind Character wrote:

Barkley (PSU) and Chubb (Georgia).

Some like Guice from LSU as well.

Chubb is not elite. He is pretty good at everything, great at nothing. His OL was killing it on most of his runs. I don't think he's going to suck, but I wouldn't say he's special by any stretch. There are Nick Chubb's in every draft.

Barkley is a superfreak. He's in the elite RB prospect category in the last 10 years (Peterson, Fournette, Barkley, Gurley, Elliot) *in that order, I'd rank them as prospects.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Scarbrough is a little too stiff. He's the closest thing to Trent Richardson that I've seen in a while, despite Scarbrough being physically much larger.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: