You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Questions about the 40 yard dash...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cboyzphan21

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 am    Post subject: Questions about the 40 yard dash... Reply with quote

Undoubtedly most of us fans and even a lot of GMs/Scouts take the 40 yard dash as the ultimate way to measure the speed of football players. It is so important that every single year the 40 time and the combine affects almost every single player that declares for the draft.

My questions are if it is so important and has so much value...

Why do we only hear about it during the combine and draft process?

Does anyone know about legitimate 40 times taken by veteran players?

If the game is played with pads why not run in pads, is it possible for one player to be faster than other in pads vs in shorts?

Is it possible for a player to improve its speed drastically after ages 21-23 with professional training or more dedication?

Why does that one run stay with the player forever? IE The GOAT Jerry Rice and his mythical 4.71 or high 4.6s

Which active NFL player would you like to know his current 40 time?

Im sure teams run some sort of drills to determine a players speed maybe even timed or races. I would like to know Dez Bryants current 40 times does he still have it...
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By itself, the 40 is overrated. When factored in with other measurable qualities, it has merit. That being said, anyone who knows me knows that I rarely place any value on a guy's 40 time unless he's in the mid 4.2s or lower. Meaning, his speed is the elite of the elite. Only then does it really pose a threat to an opposing team.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
JShank

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is like most everything else, it is relative.

If you are winning in college because of speed, and then you run a 4.6 at the combine, that may be worrisome.

If you are a tackling machine and look as though you are always flying around the field, yet you run a 4.7 as a MLB. . . No real big deal.

I feel like there are ranges one at a certain position is expected to be within, and when you fall outside of those ranges, good or bad, it is noteworthy for scouting purposes.

One of the many factors that play a role in trying to ID talent.

Right now, I would like to see:

Antonio Brown's 40-yd
AP's 40 and Bench (he seems so damn, "grown man" strong).
Gronk's 40
Julio Jones 40
Laveon Bell's 40
Julian Edleman 40
Witten's 40
to name a few.
TVScout

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://nflcombineresults.com/nflcombinedata.php
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 40 time doesn't matter for veterans for the same reason your GPA won't matter after you've been working for a few years. As measures, both are barely relevant beyond thresholds in the first place, and they are virtually useless once you've demonstrated your usefulness as a professional.

When you are a college player, teams are projecting what you will be. Once you are a professional, they can see what you actually are. It doesn't matter that Jason Witten might struggle to break 5.0 right now. We know what we are getting from him, and it's still damn good.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: