You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Calvin Johnson not happy with how things ended
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverick12

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Calvin Johnson not happy with how things ended Reply with quote

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/05/20/calvin-johnson-retirement-detroit-lions/334466001/

A real eyebrow raising piece here. He wouldn't get specific, but it may be related to the team wanting him to pay back some of his bonus money. Really a shame things turned out this way with a top 5 franchise guy and best wideout in the team's history. Really hope they can mend fences soon.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson not happy with how things ended Reply with quote

Maverick12 wrote:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/05/20/calvin-johnson-retirement-detroit-lions/334466001/

A real eyebrow raising piece here. He wouldn't get specific, but it may be related to the team wanting him to pay back some of his bonus money. Really a shame things turned out this way with a top 5 franchise guy and best wideout in the team's history. Really hope they can mend fences soon.

Why is it only Detroit where our stars keep complaining after retirement. Sanders was the same.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why shouldn't he pay back some of the signing bonus? He signed a 7 year extension and retires 2 years in. I loved him as a Lion, and wish him well moving forward, but is he seriously complaining about that? Especially when he didn't inform the team formally that he was even retiring until the offseason he did so. He might have divulged that info to Stafford, but the front office was waiting around for what he was going to do. Rolling Eyes
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
Why shouldn't he pay back some of the signing bonus? He signed a 7 year extension and retires 2 years in. I loved him as a Lion, and wish him well moving forward, but is he seriously complaining about that? Especially when he didn't inform the team formally that he was even retiring until the offseason he did so. He might have divulged that info to Stafford, but the front office was waiting around for what he was going to do. Rolling Eyes
No. In fact, he isn't complaining about anything.

Oh, and the front office told him to take his time with a decision because they knew he was ready to retire. They figured he might not want to retire if he thought about it more, and they were wrong. He didn't screw them, they did that to themselves.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Oh, and the front office told him to take his time with a decision because they knew he was ready to retire. They figured he might not want to retire if he thought about it more, and they were wrong. He didn't screw them, they did that to themselves.

How did the Lions screw themselves? Laughing

Calvin said himself that he told Stafford he was planning on retiring and that was it. He told Matthew before his final season started. The organization was unaware, according to Calvin himself. Despite that, they waited for his response in the offseason and he took his sweet time to officially retire. After doing so, the Lions were within their rights to recoup the $3.2 million left on his signing bonus from the extension he signed. he paid 10% of that back and they didn't demand the rest, despite him quitting 2 years into a 7 year extension, leaving them with an almost $13 million dead cap hit.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

Calvin said himself that he told Stafford he was planning on retiring and that was it. He told Matthew before his final season started. The organization was unaware, according to Calvin himself. Despite that, they waited for his response in the offseason and he took his sweet time to officially retire. After doing so, the Lions were within their rights to recoup the $3.2 million left on his signing bonus from the extension he signed. he paid 10% of that back and they didn't demand the rest, despite him quitting 2 years into a 7 year extension, leaving them with an almost $13 million dead cap hit.
They told him to do that. I will repeat this for you again. The Detroit Lions told Calvin Johnson to take his time with his decision to retire. Matthew Stafford was not the only person that knew, even fans knew that there was a very strong possibility he would retire. If that's your issue, then yes, they screwed themselves. They brought the timing of that decision upon themselves. They knew he wanted retire so they told him to take longer to think about it with the hope that he would change his mind. He gave them a final decision when they wanted a decision from him. They didn't want a decision early from him because they knew at that point he was set on retiring. They hoped some time would change his mind and clearly it didn't. How else do I have to explain this for you to understand it?

I don't give a damn about the contract, the organization made fools of themselves for making a big deal over $320,000. They [inappropriate/removed] away that kind of money on camp bodies, UDFA's, and other garbage low end players every year. They absolutely could have afforded to [inappropriate/removed] away another $320,000 to maintain a good relationship with the 2nd most important player in the history of the franchise.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure its not about the money, that's just the conclusion people are jumping to. I would assume there was more to it, perhaps in the Dan Gilbert when Lebron left Cleveland type of conflict. We don't know, we don't have details, but I will be pretty sure it had nothing to do with having to repay some of his signing bonus. If I am wrong, I think that would be pretty petty, but I don't see Calvin being that way.
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He quit playing and didn't like being here oh well bye bye. He is mad SO WHAT he is not relevant to the lions' roster and their play going forward. Let's focus on what we have what their role is and not the players or news that has no bearing on our season.
Maverick12

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small sample size, but listening to the radio, I'm a little surprised at the percentage of people backing the Lions over Calvin on this.

Also, if I hear one more person use lack of playoff success for an argument against his HoF worthiness, my head might explode.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I am pretty sure its not about the money, that's just the conclusion people are jumping to. I would assume there was more to it, perhaps in the Dan Gilbert when Lebron left Cleveland type of conflict. We don't know, we don't have details, but I will be pretty sure it had nothing to do with having to repay some of his signing bonus. If I am wrong, I think that would be pretty petty, but I don't see Calvin being that way.

This is my feeling as well. In no way did Calvin point at money, the writer points to it as a possible point of contention. In no way did that reflect CJs feelings. My guess, JUST A GUESS, is that something about the way the FO or staff treated him personally is what he was alluding to. And if so, my guess is that he has a firm podium on which to stand.

The truth is, it is all speculation and we really can not draw conclusions.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

They told him to do that. I will repeat this for you again. The Detroit Lions told Calvin Johnson to take his time with his decision to retire. Matthew Stafford was not the only person that knew, even fans knew that there was a very strong possibility he would retire. If that's your issue, then yes, they screwed themselves. They brought the timing of that decision upon themselves. They knew he wanted retire so they told him to take longer to think about it with the hope that he would change his mind. He gave them a final decision when they wanted a decision from him. They didn't want a decision early from him because they knew at that point he was set on retiring. They hoped some time would change his mind and clearly it didn't. How else do I have to explain this for you to understand it?

I don't give a damn about the contract, the organization made fools of themselves for making a big deal over $320,000. They [inappropriate/removed] away that kind of money on camp bodies, UDFA's, and other garbage low end players every year. They absolutely could have afforded to [inappropriate/removed] away another $320,000 to maintain a good relationship with the 2nd most important player in the history of the franchise.

I can appreciate your version of things. That doesn't change the fact the organization was entitled to a prorated portion of his bonus since he didn't fulfill his obligation for it. Why should they have to [inappropriate/removed] the money while still taking a $13 million dead cap hit for a player who negotiated a 7 year extension and quit two years in?
CutParisLenon

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Cris Carter, Skip, or Shannon Sharpe (there's a list of people I wouldn't mind booking on the first flight into the sun) who brought up Detroit not being a desirable landing spot for free agents and the way they treated guys like Barry and Calvin on their way out is a reason why we are terra non grata for FAs.

I don't really buy this as I think we have been able to attract talented FAs to Detroit over the past several years (even if we are not breaking the bank with some of the splashier names, which I prefer not to do anyway). I also don't think Free Agents look at how retired legends are treated unless it's something really egregious and newsworthy.

It's sad. I can't believe this is really about the $300,000 or so Calvin had to return. That's chump change to him and really not worth damaging the Lions reputation for. You'd have to believe there is something else going on behind the scenes. This is probably more to do with the painkiller/concussion issue.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CutParisLenon wrote:
You'd have to believe there is something else going on behind the scenes. This is probably more to do with the painkiller/concussion issue.

Quote:
"Guys get concussions, they don't tell the coaches," Johnson said Saturday, according to the Detroit Free-Press. "It happens. I don't tell the coach sometimes cause I know I got a job to do. The team needs me out there on the field. And sometimes you allow that to jeopardize yourself, but that's just the nature of the world."

So had Johnson ever concealed a concussion from Lions team doctors?
"Of course," he said. "They're going to dispute that, but anytime you black out, anytime you hit the ground and everything is stars and stuff, any time your brain hits your skull, that's a concussion. No matter how severe it is, it's a concussion. Now granted, some people get nausea. That's a severe concussion when you get hit like that and you get nausea and stuff like that. But if you play football long enough [you're going to have concussions]."

If this is about concussions, Calvin admitted that he lied to the team and covered it up.

I loved Calvin as a Lion, and I wish him a long healthy life after football.

I just don't understand how the Lions are the bad guys here. What did they do wrong? Made him the highest paid WR? Wanted him to keep playing? Let him keep 90% of the signing bonus they were entitled to? Released his retirement statement for him because he doesn't like the spotlight? Never spoke a bad word about him either during nor after his playing career? Confused

And what free agents have the Lions missed out on because two of their star players retired after a decade with the team?!? Laughing
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
CutParisLenon wrote:
You'd have to believe there is something else going on behind the scenes. This is probably more to do with the painkiller/concussion issue.

Quote:
"Guys get concussions, they don't tell the coaches," Johnson said Saturday, according to the Detroit Free-Press. "It happens. I don't tell the coach sometimes cause I know I got a job to do. The team needs me out there on the field. And sometimes you allow that to jeopardize yourself, but that's just the nature of the world."

So had Johnson ever concealed a concussion from Lions team doctors?
"Of course," he said. "They're going to dispute that, but anytime you black out, anytime you hit the ground and everything is stars and stuff, any time your brain hits your skull, that's a concussion. No matter how severe it is, it's a concussion. Now granted, some people get nausea. That's a severe concussion when you get hit like that and you get nausea and stuff like that. But if you play football long enough [you're going to have concussions]."

If this is about concussions, Calvin admitted that he lied to the team and covered it up.

I loved Calvin as a Lion, and I wish him a long healthy life after football.

I just don't understand how the Lions are the bad guys here. What did they do wrong? Made him the highest paid WR? Wanted him to keep playing? Let him keep 90% of the signing bonus they were entitled to? Released his retirement statement for him because he doesn't like the spotlight? Never spoke a bad word about him either during nor after his playing career? Confused

And what free agents have the Lions missed out on because two of their star players retired after a decade with the team?!? Laughing

First I would say if there is anything they did to him, I am assuming it is not public. They simply could have told him to go screw himself when he retired and ignored all phone calls/blocked him from the facilities. The fact is nobody knows but them.

As for free agents, I have always thought that we have not been an ideal landing pot hence why we rarely sign the big name and have struggled to keep some of the stars we do have. Again it would be all speculation but I wouldn't doubt that word would get out around the league if a team was bad to a star player. It may not be the only factor deterring people, but it sure as heck would be a factor if they are close on two spots.

This team has been horribly managed forever. I have no trouble believing the Lions once again screwed up and treated a legend like crap when they left.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:

I can appreciate your version of things. That doesn't change the fact the organization was entitled to a prorated portion of his bonus since he didn't fulfill his obligation for it. Why should they have to [inappropriate/removed] the money while still taking a $13 million dead cap hit for a player who negotiated a 7 year extension and quit two years in?

January 6th 2016: Rumors that the Lions aren't planning on honoring the remainder of Calvin Johnson's contract. They might trade him, cut him, or use a trade/cut as leverage for a re-negotiation
January 31st 2016: The idea of Calvin Johnson contemplating retirement is completely out in the open. Anyone who has the ability to read now knows that Calvin Johnson is likely to retire, and at a minimum is strongly considering it.
Janurary 31st, 2016: Adam Schefter reports that Calvin Johnson told the Lions that he planned to retire. Jim Caldwell told Calvin Johnson to take his time with his decision, and Calvin Johnson, out of respect for Caldwell, put off making an official announcement of his retirement.
February 2nd, 2016: Tim Twentyman evaluates how Calvin Johnson's retirement would impact the Lions cap situation. "Johnsonís total cap hit is $24,008,000, so the Lions will save just under $11.1 million towards the 2016 cap if he retires. If the team tries to recover the final $3.2 million in bonus money and is successful, the cap savings could potentially increase to a little under $14.3 million. But itís also possible the team doesn't see that savings until the 2017 cap. If Johnson retires, heís leaving a total of $67.7 million in base salary on the table from 2016-20."
February 24th, 2016: Lions not rushing Calvin Johnson in his decision, clearly know that he is contemplating retirement. "That's just the decision we've made internally, to not put a deadline on Calvin," Lions general manager Bob Quinn said Wednesday at the NFL combine. "So that's something that we've talked about -- myself, coach (Jim) Caldwell, Rod Wood. That's just the way we're going to go about business, in terms of what Calvin's decision may or may not be."
March 8th, 2016: Calvin Johnson officially retires

It isn't "my version" of things. It's called "reality". Also, Calvin signed his 7 year contract in 2012. He retired in 2016. He played out 4 of the 7 years of his contract, not 2. If you're going to make a stupid argument, at least get some of your facts right.

- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: