You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AG20's Draft Takes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Packerraymond


Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 19293
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMathews wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
EdMathews wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
EdMathews wrote:
In that Julio clip, the middle of the field was so wide open you could land an f-16 there. How in the world can anyone, even a Hall of Fame corner, guard Julio when's he's got so much room to roam and no one within shouting distance to help?


Gunter's only job on that play is to not get beat inside. He needs to force an outside release.

Yes the 3 second level guys all jumped on the PA, but that's horrible CB work.


He's shaded outside and his first steps are to force Julio inside. He should have dropping ILBs and HHCD playing one high inside, where as outside he has no help. I think his responsibility was the opposite. If his job was to force him outside he has literally no chance with that alignment.

Either way possibly the only player on the field for us that play who wouldn't earn negative marks is Rollins. What a train wreck of a play.


But what's the thinking on this play? Gunter we all know is slow yet he's one on one in an huge open field against one of the great WR's of our time. Why do you even put Gunter in a position like that? LB's at line of scrimmage, HaHa 20 yards deep in single safety... pitch and catch, easy TD. Atlanta must have been laughing in the huddle. Yes, we were beat up at corner, so shouldn't the game plan mean help for Gunter on every play? The CB's got most of the blame for the debacle, but they sure didn't get helped by the defensive scheme.


He has HaHa over his head. What other help do you want for him? He doens't have to worry about getting beat deep. That is how you help a CB in the NFL.


HaHa is 20 yards back and the other ten defensive players are all at the line of scrimmage. Sorry, but that's not how you help a CB in to the NFL today or any day when the receiver is Julio Jones and a slow Gunter is told to cover him. HaHa may have been able to help if Julio went deep but why should Atlanta go deep when there's such an easy pitch and catch over the middle? Looking at that alignment before the snap Ryan could only have been smiling inside. The middle of the field has been a consistent disaster area for us for years.There have been many different CB's and LB's trying to patrol the area with little success. Have they all been terrible? Could it be possible that that's not how you help CB's in the NFL?


You can't double a shallow crosser unless you literally lineup like you're doubling a gunner on punt coverage. My guess is ATL watched the film of the first game where the Gunter/HHCD combo effectively covered Julio (even before he got hurt) and made adjustments from there. Gunter had a late season elbow injury and I think he was gutting out some stuff the last month of the year. His press was no where near good enough the last month to make up for his speed. Randall and Rollins were fighting too. Our game plan in this game was for a shootout, don't give up the big play, try to get those game chaniging turnovers, try to exchange 3's for 7. Unfortunately our offense which came into the playoffs with just a gimpy Cobb ended up in that game no better than we ended ARI game prior. Nelson, Adams and Cobb all banged up or out. Mac described it perfectly when he called it a buzzsaw. Just wasnt our day, can't fault the coaches.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 15462
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have said it better myself, P-Ray!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3821
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo... Gunter and King should room together?
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NCPackFan


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 4473
Location: Quahog, RI
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Chili wrote:
I'm actually surprised how soft Randall is. He was a safety in college and racked up high tackle numbers. Think


I just think Randall is lacking confidence in his game right now. It's nearly impossible to be aggressive when all you can think about is getting beat. Randall needs to learn how to let the last one go. He's sure as hell talented enough. Just got bumped a spot when Shields went down and NFL level number one WR's can make ya lose confidence quick if your not ready for the task at hand.


This is how I feel as well. Randall had a demoralizing year from what was an incredible rookie year.

I think Gunter can become serviceable in that you stick him on a bigger receiver he can physically cover and tell one of your safeties to help them out over the top and play as if Gunter has already been beat. I'm almost wondering if Gunter is better off moving inside to physically cover receiving TE's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlexGreen#20


Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Posts: 13518
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Chili wrote:
I'm actually surprised how soft Randall is. He was a safety in college and racked up high tackle numbers. Think


I just think Randall is lacking confidence in his game right now. It's nearly impossible to be aggressive when all you can think about is getting beat. Randall needs to learn how to let the last one go. He's sure as hell talented enough. Just got bumped a spot when Shields went down and NFL level number one WR's can make ya lose confidence quick if your not ready for the task at hand.


This is how I feel as well. Randall had a demoralizing year from what was an incredible rookie year.

I think Gunter can become serviceable in that you stick him on a bigger receiver he can physically cover and tell one of your safeties to help them out over the top and play as if Gunter has already been beat. I'm almost wondering if Gunter is better off moving inside to physically cover receiving TE's.


Gunter is fine. Not every player needs to have their position switched. Gunter just needs to not be lined up against a future HOFer.
_________________
BroncoinGermany wrote:
From the day he was born and subsequently starting to grow into his short neck, round face, scruffy beard and pale face, Bulaga was destined to be a Packers O-Linemen for life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 49485
Location: mike23md on the dope sig
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I just think Randall is lacking confidence in his game right now. It's nearly impossible to be aggressive when all you can think about is getting beat. Randall needs to learn how to let the last one go. He's sure as hell talented enough. Just got bumped a spot when Shields went down and NFL level number one WR's can make ya lose confidence quick if your not ready for the task at hand.


Definitely agree with this. And I don't think the myriad of lower body injuries helped things either.
_________________

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1583
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From JSO on the 2016 season

Of the 40* touchdown passes allowed, here’s the breakdown of responsibility:
Randall, 8½; Gunter, 8; Rollins, 5½; Hyde, 4½; Clinton-Dix and Burnett, 3; Goodson, Hawkins, Brice, Thomas and Kenny Clark, 1; and Peppers, one-half.
No fault was assigned to two.

Of the 40 TD passes, 25% came on blitzes by Capers.
The number of (rushers) on the 40 TD passes were 4 plays with (3), 26 with (4), 8 with (5) and 2 plays with (6) rushers.

Among defenders not responsible for a TD pass were Ryan, Martinez, Matthews, Perry, Fackler, Jayrone Elliott and Datone Jones.

* Rodgers threw 40 TDs, GB defense gave up 40 TD passes meaning GB pass defenders sorta made all of our opponents into... Rodgers
.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlexGreen#20


Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Posts: 13518
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
From JSO on the 2016 season

Of the 40* touchdown passes allowed, here’s the breakdown of responsibility:
Randall, 8½; Gunter, 8; Rollins, 5½; Hyde, 4½; Clinton-Dix and Burnett, 3; Goodson, Hawkins, Brice, Thomas and Kenny Clark, 1; and Peppers, one-half.
No fault was assigned to two.

Of the 40 TD passes, 25% came on blitzes by Capers.
The number of (rushers) on the 40 TD passes were 4 plays with (3), 26 with (4), 8 with (5) and 2 plays with (6) rushers.

Among defenders not responsible for a TD pass were Ryan, Martinez, Matthews, Perry, Fackler, Jayrone Elliott and Datone Jones.

* Rodgers threw 40 TDs, GB defense gave up 40 TD passes meaning GB pass defenders sorta made all of our opponents into... Rodgers
.


17 INTs to 7 is an important distinction. The pass defense was complete trash last year though.
_________________
BroncoinGermany wrote:
From the day he was born and subsequently starting to grow into his short neck, round face, scruffy beard and pale face, Bulaga was destined to be a Packers O-Linemen for life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1583
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:

17 INTs to 7 is an important distinction.


Yes it is
During the midseason 4- game losing streak, GB didn't create any defensive turnovers in 3 of those 4 losses. At that point, they were 4-6

When they ran the table, the Packers created 15 turnovers over the next 6 games and continued the turnover streak until they got to ATL-
where they had zero.
This team and this defense thrives on turnovers; I know that's not a newsflash, but it is amazing to see how it played out last fall

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2016.htm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EdMathews


Joined: 22 May 2014
Posts: 929
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have been posted somewhere already, haven't been around much lately, but this pretty much says what I believe regarding Capers. I know it's not particularly popular to criticize him on this forum, but boy I wish he was gone.

http://packersnotes.com/2017/05/defending-the-indefensible/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Packerraymond


Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 19293
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMathews wrote:
This may have been posted somewhere already, haven't been around much lately, but this pretty much says what I believe regarding Capers. I know it's not particularly popular to criticize him on this forum, but boy I wish he was gone.

http://packersnotes.com/2017/05/defending-the-indefensible/


Here I thought I may find some good argument in there. That was a pretty worthless read from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
incognito_man


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 40976
Location: Madison
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
EdMathews wrote:
This may have been posted somewhere already, haven't been around much lately, but this pretty much says what I believe regarding Capers. I know it's not particularly popular to criticize him on this forum, but boy I wish he was gone.

http://packersnotes.com/2017/05/defending-the-indefensible/


Here I thought I may find some good argument in there. That was a pretty worthless read from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.


well that was a vapid read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoPackGo


Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 8243
Location: Sconnie boy
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine being a d-coordinator that forces 5 turnovers in an NFC Championship Game and you're still the scapegoat for losing.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AlexGreen#20


Joined: 13 Jun 2012
Posts: 13518
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMathews wrote:
This may have been posted somewhere already, haven't been around much lately, but this pretty much says what I believe regarding Capers. I know it's not particularly popular to criticize him on this forum, but boy I wish he was gone.

http://packersnotes.com/2017/05/defending-the-indefensible/


Don't lie, you wrote that, didn't you?
_________________
BroncoinGermany wrote:
From the day he was born and subsequently starting to grow into his short neck, round face, scruffy beard and pale face, Bulaga was destined to be a Packers O-Linemen for life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Donzo


Joined: 05 Aug 2015
Posts: 168
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMathews wrote:
This may have been posted somewhere already, haven't been around much lately, but this pretty much says what I believe regarding Capers. I know it's not particularly popular to criticize him on this forum, but boy I wish he was gone.

http://packersnotes.com/2017/05/defending-the-indefensible/


Since when is criticizing Capers not popular? Bellyache about him all you like, no need to perpetuate a victim status to do it.

I just noticed you linked Packernotes... Shees, I can't believe that idiot is still paying for that site... I thought that place would have burned down years ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group