Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Eagles sign Blount
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MemphisEagles

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Yea, I don't see how you can argue against a move like this, especially for this cheap. Blount gives us more depth at RB at a position that we had a motley crew of the following guys:

- A talented all around back who has only been healthy enough for 14 starts in the last 2 seasons
- a very small, soon to be 34 year old who has already announced his retirement at the end of the season
- a 2nd year, 5th round "Scat back" coming off a season ending injury
- a rookie, 4th round pick who weighs in a 5'8", 170lbs
- a rookie UDFA

Blount gives us more proven experience in our depth and someone that, if need be, can handle more than 10 carries in a game.

I'm just concerned about whatever comp pick we gave up. If it's a sixth then this is good. If it's a third or fourth then I don't like it.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MemphisEagles wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Yea, I don't see how you can argue against a move like this, especially for this cheap. Blount gives us more depth at RB at a position that we had a motley crew of the following guys:

- A talented all around back who has only been healthy enough for 14 starts in the last 2 seasons
- a very small, soon to be 34 year old who has already announced his retirement at the end of the season
- a rookie UDFA

Blount gives us more proven experience in our depth and someone that, if need be, can handle more than 10 carries in a game.

I'm just concerned about whatever comp pick we gave up. If it's a sixth then this is good. If it's a third or fourth then I don't like it.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/#nfc-east-2016
Jroc04

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering what all the crying was about with the compensatory picks. We brought in way more than we lost so it's moot.

Besides a small contract like Blount wouldn't amount to much.

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZ_Eaglesfan wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Phire wrote:
I like the move, especially given that the future of Ryan Mathews looks bleak.

His is as sealed as a Eagle as Blount was as a Patriot after there off season additions/extensions to RB.

There's nothing not to like about this other then who do they keep after

Blount
Sproles
Pumphrey

Race for #4?

IMO it is more likely that Smallwood makes the active roster than Pumphrey. We will likely see both either way.

I'll be honest and say I couldn't for the life of me remember Smallwood's name to save my life. He definitely should be within the top 4 but Pumphrey is automatic IMO unless he gets hurt/IR designated.

Bird Watch: TE Zach Ertz: 14Gm/ 106Tgt //78 Rec//812 Yds//4 TD//10.5 Y/R
Jroc04

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Pumphrey blows coaches away in camp that Sproles just gets released.

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
Danger

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/#nfc-east-2016

Thank you. Anyone who thought we'd be getting compensatory picks after this off season was off their rocker.

Also, I had us taking Blount in the 4th round the year he went undrafted.

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
I wonder if Pumphrey blows coaches away in camp that Sproles just gets released.

Not this season. Who exactly would be worth keeping instead of Sproles? Or are you suggesting only 3 RB being​ kept and using that 4th spot elsewhere? Other then that or Injury outside the 4 already listed above ,every other RB is auditioning for another team.

Bird Watch: TE Zach Ertz: 14Gm/ 106Tgt //78 Rec//812 Yds//4 TD//10.5 Y/R
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MemphisEagles wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:

- a rookie UDFA

I don't see how we would have been in line for a comp pick? We lost Logan and Carrol and signed Jeffrey, Long, Warmack, and now Blount.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
I was wondering what all the crying was about with the compensatory picks. We brought in way more than we lost so it's moot.

Besides a small contract like Blount wouldn't amount to much.

Jroc always beating me to the punch

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:

Eh, Its not good for business. What does it hurt keeping sproles through his retirement? I know Celek is a little different but they didn't get rid of him either.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

Jroc04

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Jroc04 wrote:

Eh, Its not good for business. What does it hurt keeping sproles through his retirement? I know Celek is a little different but they didn't get rid of him either.

Well, when you're getting into the numbers game you have to consider greater good. There's no competition for TE. It's the most solidified group on the team. With RB, with the addition of Blount, it's very crowded. Blount, Sproles, Smallwood and Pumphrey would be the logical 4 but are we keeping that many? Seems like overkill. So then we question who can go? Blount is obviously staying unless the team finds he is completely useless but I imagine that won't be until the season is in full swing. Sproles is obviously still useful and versatile but he's also going into his last season. Smallwood is probably the closest thing we have to an every down back but it's still very early to make any kind of judgements on him and his future. I would think the FO likes him given that he's made it this far. Which brings us to Pumphrey, who is obviously a player the FO believes in thus far. My question was: If Pumphrey knocks it out, whom is the obvious heir apparent to Sproles, would that make Sproles expendable? It's surely a gamble but something that they would have to consider for the good of the future and cap situation.

This is all solved with the ye olde mystery injury that puts Pumphrey on the IR for the year but what's the sense if he's going to be a game-changer this year? Let's get him out there. And all this is predicated on the assumption the team is only keeping 3 RBs. They could keep 4 but that would take away from other positions where we need the depth. Just something to ponder. Unless they cut ties with Smallwood I think, all thing considered, Sproles would be next in line to be cut.

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
EaglesPeteC

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles waived/injured Charles Walker to make room for Blount. Surprised he was the sacrificial lamb there. I thought he had an ok shot at the 53

BIRD WATCH: "WR" Nelson Agholor //36 REC//365 YARDS//2 TDS//2 stone hands//1 crippling boneheaded pentaly//1 deactivation//1 tremendous waste of a pick
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EaglesPeteC wrote:
Eagles waived/injured Charles Walker to make room for Blount. Surprised he was the sacrificial lamb there. I thought he had an ok shot at the 53

Apparently it was an injury settlement and he's expected to be back around training camp when he's recovered.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

BLick12

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:

That would be pretty ruthless. I can't see the Eagles cutting Sproles given that he has openly stated this is his last year and given that he's still far and away the best punt returner on the team.

Bird Watch: Nolan Carroll
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Jroc04 wrote:

Well, when you're getting into the numbers game you have to consider greater good. There's no competition for TE. It's the most solidified group on the team. With RB, with the addition of Blount, it's very crowded. Blount, Sproles, Smallwood and Pumphrey would be the logical 4 but are we keeping that many? Seems like overkill. So then we question who can go? Blount is obviously staying unless the team finds he is completely useless but I imagine that won't be until the season is in full swing. Sproles is obviously still useful and versatile but he's also going into his last season. Smallwood is probably the closest thing we have to an every down back but it's still very early to make any kind of judgements on him and his future. I would think the FO likes him given that he's made it this far. Which brings us to Pumphrey, who is obviously a player the FO believes in thus far. My question was: If Pumphrey knocks it out, whom is the obvious heir apparent to Sproles, would that make Sproles expendable? It's surely a gamble but something that they would have to consider for the good of the future and cap situation.

This is all solved with the ye olde mystery injury that puts Pumphrey on the IR for the year but what's the sense if he's going to be a game-changer this year? Let's get him out there. And all this is predicated on the assumption the team is only keeping 3 RBs. They could keep 4 but that would take away from other positions where we need the depth. Just something to ponder. Unless they cut ties with Smallwood I think, all thing considered, Sproles would be next in line to be cut.

Maybe Celek was a bad comparison for my "bad for business" comment.

Think of the facts.
- Sproles signs a 3 year deal with us in 2014 and does admirably.
- We think enough of him to sign him to a one year extension in the summer of '16
- Sproles announces his retirement after the 2017 season in December with one year left on his deal (aka the extension he signed last summer)
- We draft his replacement in May
- We cut him during/after camp because his replacement outperformed him on the practice field.

Good luck signing any veteran free agents or signing guys to short extensions after pulling off that ish.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: