Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3 Bears To Step Up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: 3 Bears To Step Up Reply with quote

My buddy asked me yesterday if I could pick any 3 non-QB Bears to step up this season who would I pick?

I thought it was interesting as the Bears really do need players to take a step after a middle tier free agent period and a long view draft.

My List

1. Kevin White

Not only do I not want to chuck the 7th overall pick in the garbage, but this also happens to be the most unsettled position group for the Bears. The Bears need someone on the outside across from Meredith to produce and help out whoever is playing QB.

2. Deinondre Hall, Deon Bush, Eddie Jacksom

I do not care which one, but the Bears need one of the young draft picks in the secondary to step up and become a starter. The Bears desperately need someone to be the FS beside Demps.

3. Charles Leno

If Leno can take the next step and move from average to good it would be huge for the Bears as they could move into next season only needing to upgrade Bobbie Massie. Needing to upgrade both OTs is an expensive proposition.
Nads786

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add Leonard Floyd to the mix. He is a top 10 pick that needs to take another step to being a consistent pass rusher while staying healthy.

Consistent pass rush is everything in the NFL. If Floyd can give us 10+ sacks next year and consistent pressure it will be huge for the pass D.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massie, Jaye Howard, Kevin White.

I, like most people, think its a long shot for Bears to be good this year. Its not impossible though.

They need their "stars" to get healthy and stay healthy. White, Floyd, Long, Miller, Goldman, McPhee, Trevathan and Freeman need to be on the field and playing football. I understand Freeman will be out for awhile.

This pot pourri of secondary characters needs to shake out in some fashion as well. I feel bad for Fangio - being asked to work miracles in short periods of time.
dll2000

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing to me how in trouble Bears would really be without late finds Leno, Howard and Meredith.

Leno and Meredith aren't league stars, but they carry a lot of the water for Bears for sure.

Without them it would be really extra dire.
dll2000

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Bears desperately need someone to be the FS beside Demps.

I thought Demps was supposed to be good last year? Why don't you want him to start?

All I hear about is how many picks he had last year.
dll2000

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets just hope it isn't a Rolle repeat experience.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massie is a right off.

They tried to upgrade him this year and my guess is they will 100% do it before Trubisky takes over in 2018.
G08

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun question.... 3 non-QBs to step up...

1. Leonard Floyd

I mean if this guy can take a Vic Beasley like step this season, the sky is the limit for our defense

2. Adam Shaheen

I am a huge, huge fan of 12 personnel. If you can effectively block and run out of that formation, the defense is at a huge disadvantage and makes your play calling virtually impossible to predict

3. Any one of our corners

I'd love for one of them to become a true lockdown corner. I don't care if that's Amukamara, Cooper, Hall, Fuller, etc. Just give me one and we can roll coverage over to help the "other" CB.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine would be (non- QBs)-

White
- I'd love to see him develop into the true number one Pace thought he would be. The size/speed combo of him and Meredith can be damn hard for defenses to handle. Even better as the 5th year option is still on the table if he would start tearing up defenses.

Bullard
- Hicks might not be re-signed (though he should be barring any off field or major injury concern) and we do not know Jae Howard's true health right now. Getting an interior pass rush would help the OLBs (who have injury concerns) and a patchwork defensive backfield (which is still quite a bit better than last year).

Shaheen
- Earn the name of Baby Gronk in the pros. If he is thriving, as is White and Howard, then we have some serious help to ease Trubisky's transition. If he turns into a high-end blocker as well, he can be a great piece to move around in the pass and run game. Both again will help Trubisky as he develops.

I'd love to get a CB to develop. But I just am not sure if they will get any playing time with the logjam there. Long term the most important piece is Trubisky, and I just don't have faith in either OT being a long-term option. So these are the three that make the most sense for me.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullard would be nice, but the Bears are pretty deep now at DL, long term it would be nice.

Shaheen for me needs to be ready to step up in 2018, everything this year is gravy.

The Bears worst positions are WR and DB they need someone at both spots to show up.
Heinz D.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dll2000 wrote:
Quote:
The Bears desperately need someone to be the FS beside Demps.

I thought Demps was supposed to be good last year? Why don't you want him to start?

All I hear about is how many picks he had last year.

What he said wasn't technically incorrect, but he really meant "along side of Demps"...
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White - the obvious answer. They are betting on him big after letting Alshon go and not drafting a WR.

Bullard - drafted to be a pass rushing presence from 5T. With the addition of Howard to play on earlier downs opposite Hicks I'm expecting a significant step forward in terms of impact plays.

Anyone in the secondary. Seriously, anyone. Gimme some stability and some occasional impact plays. I'm not asking for the Legion of Boom. I'm asking for competence in coverage and one takeaway generated by the secondary a game. Not a crazy ask.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White- duh
Cooper- how nice would it be to finally have a big, young CB? He did lead ARZ in picks last year
Kwiatkoski- up and down rookie year
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone I was taking to brought up an interesting name, Kyle Long.

It has been 2 years since we saw the best of Kyle. Mediocre year at OT followed by multiple injuries last season.

A return to dominance over 16 games would be a huge addition.
Epyon

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Someone I was taking to brought up an interesting name, Kyle Long.

It has been 2 years since we saw the best of Kyle. Mediocre year at OT followed by multiple injuries last season.

A return to dominance over 16 games would be a huge addition.

Long isn't a bad choice, considering the issues he had recovering from ankle surgery and his non repaired shoulder, which clearly caused significant problems for him last year.

If I had to pick just 3:

1. Howard is pretty easily my #1.... He played outstanding last year, but he was neither expected to be, nor entirely used like the lynchpin holding the entire offense together. Despite his amazing running production we where heavily skewed towards the passing attack (though much of that is because we had zero reliability behind Howard)..... This season, with Alshon gone, and lots of question marks at skill positions, Howard will be the foundation that the entire offense is built upon, and what's more, opposing defenses will know it, and gameplan around it.

2. Eddie Goldman: He is a NT that generates interior pressure at a great level..... We sucked against the run with him out/injuried. He's imo the single most important defensive piece we need working.

3. The second most important defensive piece for us that we need to step up is Floyd. We saw that he has the tools last year, but he needs to play with more control.... both to finish plays and to simply keep himself out of the concussion protocol

If those 3 all have big years, I think we could push as high as 8-8.... Howard has to stay healthy and continue producing or the offense will entirely fall apart. Goldman has to stay healthy so we can shut the opposing run down, and continue generating interior pressure from the base D. And finally Floyd has to stay healthy and play with a bit more control/technique in order to increase his sack/pass rush #s and take pressure off the secondary.

Of the rookies:

1. Tarik Cohen I think needs the biggest year.... He's going to be our offensive swiss army knife, and the guy who primarily takes the load off of Howard's shoulders.... I think there's also a decent chance he ends up as one of our starting kick returners and/or takes a good number of snaps out of the slot. Kind of like what I kept talking about during the draft with us potentially getting McCaffrey.... I don't think he comes close to leading any single category for us offensively, but he might very well end up being one of our biggest overall weapons when you add up the sum of his parts.

2. Shaheen is the second guy up here.... and he may end up being more important than Cohen overall, but I can't say that for certain without knowing what scheme we are planning on running..... If we're running a ton of double TE sets, than I think Shaheen ends up as a full time starter out of the slot. That said, I've also heard that we plan on trying to deal out Zach miller, which to me means Shaheen is at best splitting time as a traditional TE, and his role will be lessened.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: