Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Are You Smarter Than an NFL GM? (Make Your 2017 Picks Here)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Are You Smarter Than an NFL GM? (Make Your 2017 Picks Here) Reply with quote

Guys, I apologize for being way behind on this (and the 2014 results). I'm working on a lot right now, and this has taken a backseat. But it will be completed over the summer.

For newbies, here is a previous thread with results from 2013 (and previous years' links included in that thread) so you can see what I'm talking about:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=578937

The idea behind this is to wait the three years that are typically given to draft classes before analyzing the results, and then seeing how our own personal draft classes (previously, I used mock drafts) stack up against our own GM's. It had been a fairly easy task to outdo the GM in previous drafts (thanks Baalke), but it's a new regime and this will hopefully provide some interesting results (down the road).

Last year there was only one draft day trade, so everyone was able to choose between keeping the one trade, or keeping the original picks. This year - this became a lot more complicated by frequent moves during the draft. So, without creating a series of endless options of trades, I created what would likely be the five most popular options (basically - you either keep the 3rd day moves with other trades and deal with it, or you get no trades).

What you do in this thread, is pick ONE of the following five draft options, and select a player at each spot. You may keep the player the 49ers selected at that spot (or if you pick an option where we have picks we ended up trading, you may pick the player the other team selected at that spot), or you may select anyone that was available on the board at that draft slot. If you skip over a player the 49ers picked, you CAN NOT draft them at a later spot, nor can you pick a 49ers player selected at a spot later than where they were drafted. For example - if you choose Option B and have only the Solomon Thomas trade, you may not draft Reuben Foster at #34. You also may not make additional trades. You MUST select one of the five options.

Here are the options:

Option A The Original Picks:

1) #2 overall
2) #34 overall
3) #66 overall
4) #109 overall
4) #143 overall
5) #146 overall
5) #161 overall
6) #186 overall
6) #202 overall
7) #219 overall

Option B The Solomon Thomas Trade Only:

1) #3 overall
2) #34 overall
3) #66 overall
3) #67 overall
4) #109 overall
4) #111 overall
4) #143 overall
5) #146 overall
5) #161 overall
6) #186 overall
6) #202 overall
7) #219 overall

Option C Solomon Thomas & Reuben Foster Trades:

1) #3 overall
1) #31 overall
3) #66 overall
3) #67 overall
4) #109 overall
4) #143 overall
5) #146 overall
5) #161 overall
6) #186 overall
6) #202 overall
7) #219 overall

Option D All 49ers Trades

1) #3 overall
1) #31 overall
3) #66 overall
3) #104 overall
4) #121 overall
5) #146 overall
5) #177 overall
6) #198 overall
6) #202 overall
7) #229 overall

Option E All 49ers Trades Minus the Trade for a Future 2nd:

1) #3 overall
1) #31 overall
3) #66 overall
3) #67 overall
3) #104 overall
4) #121 overall
5) #146 overall
5) #177 overall
6) #198 overall
6) #202 overall
7) #229 overall

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please use this format when replying (Comments optional):

1) #3 - Malik Hooker, S, Ohio St.
1) #31 - Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
3) #66 - Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
3) #104 - Josh Reynolds, WR, Texas A&M
4) #121 - Desmond King, CB, Iowa
5) #146 - Jeremy McNichols, RB, Boise St.
5) #177 - Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami (Fl)
6) #198 - Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech
6) #202 - Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington
7) #229 - Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia

Some quick thoughts:

-Love the Solomon Thomas pick, but I have to go with my #2 on my Big Board in this scenario (Hooker). For me, Ward stays at CB, Hooker at FS, Reid at SS.

-Foster is one of the best draft value picks in some time, as far as Im concerned. Never would have guessed this would be possible.

-Also love Witherspoon, but I love Williams more. This gives me three guys with a first round talent grade on my board. I think Williams will have a nice career as a mid-range sack producer (8-10 sacks/season)

-I view King and Ward similarly. Can play CB/S, and would not need to do a lot of either early on. But I think he was a much better player than his draft status, so to find him in the 4th is big. I got my WR last round, and while Id love a RB, there are a lot of guys still on the board at this spot and Id pass assuming that my top back (McNichols) would be gone by the next pick.

-Except hes not so McNichols.

-Shocked to find Kaaya so low (thought for sure hed be a 3-5 range guy), so I pick him as the 3rd QB, and one of the few guys in this draft that Id feel comfortable with at QB.

-Not a lot of explanation needed on the last guys. I once advocated for Orlosky at #66, and I think hes far closer to that spot in the draft than the undrafted player he ended up as. So I take him late.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:

Some quick thoughts:

-Love the Solomon Thomas pick, but I have to go with my #2 on my Big Board in this scenario (Hooker). For me, Ward stays at CB, Hooker at FS, Reid at SS.

-Foster is one of the best draft value picks in some time, as far as Im concerned. Never would have guessed this would be possible.

-Also love Witherspoon, but I love Williams more. This gives me three guys with a first round talent grade on my board. I think Williams will have a nice career as a mid-range sack producer (8-10 sacks/season)

-I view King and Ward similarly. Can play CB/S, and would not need to do a lot of either early on. But I think he was a much better player than his draft status, so to find him in the 4th is big. I got my WR last round, and while Id love a RB, there are a lot of guys still on the board at this spot and Id pass assuming that my top back (McNichols) would be gone by the next pick.

-Shocked to find Kaaya so low (thought for sure hed be a 3-5 range guy), so I pick him as the 3rd QB, and one of the few guys in this draft that Id feel comfortable with at QB.

-Not a lot of explanation needed on the last guys. I once advocated for Orlosky at #66, and I think hes far closer to that spot in the draft than the undrafted player he ended up as. So I take him late.

I know you can't cover every option, but I think the only reason for "accepting" the tradeup to 104 is to take the QB. If you're not doing that then I think I'd rather keep 109 and 219. I'll take my shot at this when I get some time. But I'm either taking Beathard at 104 or keeping 109 and 219.

One other trade not often discussed and the only thing management has done, IMHO, that is really questionable is giving away a future 4th for a current 5th and Bibbs. We're in rebuilding mode and certainly didn't need an extra 5th this year. Not only is that one complete round lower, but in fact it's close to two as the 5th we got was a comp pick - 34th in the 5th which is virutally a 6th, and the 4th we gave away was likely to be very high, pretty close to a third. The difference between our 4th this year (assuming next year will be similar} and the pick we got was 68 positions. That's actually more than two round. That's is wayyyy too much to give up for anyone other than someone who has a really good chance of making your team better. Kappi Bibbs is not that guy. Not only is he unlikely to make the team better, I think he's going to have a hard time even making the team at all. I can't even imagine what we were thinking - except I worry whether Lunch's close ties to Denver let them take advantage of him some. This trade is the only, and only, criticism I have out of all of the FA moves, draft moves, and cuts and trades we've made.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) #3 overall Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford
1) #31 overall Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
3) #66 overall Akhello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado
3) #104 overall Dorian Johnson, OG, Pittsburgh
4) #121 overall Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina
5) #146 overall George Kittle, TE, Iowa
5) #177 overall Joe Williams, RB, Utah
6) #198 overall DJ Jones, NT, Ole Miss
6) #202 overall Brad Kaaya, QB, Miami
7) #229 overall Josh Harvey-Clemons, S, Louisville

I loved the first three picks of our draft, they were all A+ for me. I would really have been ok with 3-4 other prospects at third overall too, so as long as we snatched one of them (we did) then it would have gotten high marks from me anyways.

I skip out on Beathard to grab Johnson instead. I see him as someone who will be a solid starter in the league and that is too valuable to pass up at the end of the third round. Plus it would help solidify our interior line for the next five years.

Switzer is just too good to pass up here. He's going to be a stud.

I liked the Kittle pick. I think he will fit in great here.

The Joe Williams pick might be cheating a little. If hypothetically we didn't pick him earlier and he fell here, I'd love to grab him. He's going to be a great scheme fit for us and a solid change of pace back for Hyde.

Really couldn't figure out who else I'd pick here instead of Jones, so he stays.

Kaaya is still available? Oh, [inappropriate/removed] yeah. He'll be a great player to develop for Shanny and we get really good value. He could be something one day.

Josh HC is a big fast guy, so why not take a shot. At worst we get a good special team gunner.
Forge

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Some quick thoughts:

I know you can't cover every option, but I think the only reason for "accepting" the tradeup to 104 is to take the QB. If you're not doing that then I think I'd rather keep 109 and 219. I'll take my shot at this when I get some time. But I'm either taking Beathard at 104 or keeping 109 and 219.

One other trade not often discussed and the only thing management has done, IMHO, that is really questionable is giving away a future 4th for a current 5th and Bibbs. We're in rebuilding mode and certainly didn't need an extra 5th this year. Not only is that one complete round lower, but in fact it's close to two as the 5th we got was a comp pick - 34th in the 5th which is virutally a 6th, and the 4th we gave away was likely to be very high, pretty close to a third. The difference between our 4th this year (assuming next year will be similar} and the pick we got was 68 positions. That's actually more than two round. That's is wayyyy too much to give up for anyone other than someone who has a really good chance of making your team better. Kappi Bibbs is not that guy. Not only is he unlikely to make the team better, I think he's going to have a hard time even making the team at all. I can't even imagine what we were thinking - except I worry whether Lunch's close ties to Denver let them take advantage of him some. This trade is the only, and only, criticism I have out of all of the FA moves, draft moves, and cuts and trades we've made.

Agree with big somewhat here. The trade that I really wouldn't have made is the Beathard trade, and I'm not trading up to get anyone at that point, so I'd much rather have the two picks. So I don't like not having that option for not having made that trade. I would have taken my chance on Williams and not made that move either, but it doesn't bug me.

I think you have to include the Bibbs trade, if only because when we do this next year, we won't have that pick that we traded away, and we aren't going to go about adding that back in (though I agree that I wouldn't have made that deal either).

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Some quick thoughts:

Agree with big somewhat here. The trade that I really wouldn't have made is the Beathard trade, and I'm not trading up to get anyone at that point, so I'd much rather have the two picks. So I don't like not having that option for not having made that trade. I would have taken my chance on Williams and not made that move either, but it doesn't bug me.

I think you have to include the Bibbs trade, if only because when we do this next year, we won't have that pick that we traded away, and we aren't going to go about adding that back in (though I agree that I wouldn't have made that deal either).

I will agree with you both on the trades themselves - I would not make that trade up the board for anyone at that point in the 3rd (the guy I selected would be available if I don't move up all the same), and those are the two iffy trades that were made.

However - from an Are You Smarter Than an NFL GM? standpoint - one can simply pick Option C and keep an extra 3rd (#67) as well, so I don't feel it's necessary to create a separate option just for that trade. It's not like I'm going to say in 2018 "if you kept the 3rd last year, you don't get the Saints 2nd this year" - these are more year by year things than cumulative.

Forge

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Forge wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:

Some quick thoughts:

I will agree with you both on the trades themselves - I would not make that trade up the board for anyone at that point in the 3rd (the guy I selected would be available if I don't move up all the same), and those are the two iffy trades that were made.

However - from an Are You Smarter Than an NFL GM? standpoint - one can simply pick Option C and keep an extra 3rd (#67) as well, so I don't feel it's necessary to create a separate option just for that trade. It's not like I'm going to say in 2018 "if you kept the 3rd last year, you don't get the Saints 2nd this year" - these are more year by year things than cumulative.

That's actually the exact reason I would have made the Saints trade mandatory (because when we do this next year, we aren't backing out that second, second round pick) and made the option for the Beat hard trade instead. Conceivably, someone could say, "okay, I'm not taking the Saints trade", make the extra third this year, then do it next year with the second second pick and ostensibly get both picks, because as you said, it's not like we are going to go in next year and reference this one and say if you didn't make the saints trade, you don't get that second second rounder. Why someone would do that, I don't know...it's not like we get awards for this or anything Laughing But I put nothing past people.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
That's actually the exact reason I would have made the Saints trade mandatory (because when we do this next year, we aren't backing out that second, second round pick) and made the option for the Beat hard trade instead. Conceivably, someone could say, "okay, I'm not taking the Saints trade", make the extra third this year, then do it next year with the second second pick and ostensibly get both picks, because as you said, it's not like we are going to go in next year and reference this one and say if you didn't make the saints trade, you don't get that second second rounder. Why someone would do that, I don't know...it's not like we get awards for this or anything Laughing But I put nothing past people.

I can see making it mandatory. But at the same time when I go back and look - it will be obvious to note what happened to the 3rd in actual history. So if anyone decides to keep pick #67, it will just be noted that they picked the player instead. For me - it was actually a tough call. My favorite player in the draft was picked at #67, and I never expected he'd be a serious option. But this 'game' made it one for me. Still - in the draft thread I noted as those picks were coming up that I would try and bank one for a future 2nd, and it's what we did. So that's why I chose not to make that trade.

But if someone thinks they're better off with a specific player this year rather than a 2nd next year - go for it! Like I said, it's not cumulative. So it's not like them getting an extra pick in essence is going to mean much.

big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Forge wrote:

I can see making it mandatory. But at the same time when I go back and look - it will be obvious to note what happened to the 3rd in actual history. So if anyone decides to keep pick #67, it will just be noted that they picked the player instead. For me - it was actually a tough call. My favorite player in the draft was picked at #67, and I never expected he'd be a serious option. But this 'game' made it one for me. Still - in the draft thread I noted as those picks were coming up that I would try and bank one for a future 2nd, and it's what we did. So that's why I chose not to make that trade.

But if someone thinks they're better off with a specific player this year rather than a 2nd next year - go for it! Like I said, it's not cumulative. So it's not like them getting an extra pick in essence is going to mean much.

Yeah. It's kind of strange since we're checking out how we did this one year, not over the course of the franchise. Keeping 67 would make anyone's draft look better - assuming they don't completely blow it, as long as they don't have to account for losing next years extra second. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine anyone really not taking a future second for this year's third. Aside from that being a better pick, I still think we need to accumulate all the draft capital we can in case we need to move up for a QB of our choice. In any case to keep someone from keeping 67 and then hitting a homerun with that pick it seems like everyone ought to pick a guy at 67, or no one ought to.

On the other hand it's easy enough to say you'd rather keep 109 and 219 than move up to 204. So anyone who likes that option better ought to be able to offer it up.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite things to look forward to on FF. Thanks for putting this together as usual Y2.

1) #3 overall - Solomon Thomas DE
1) #31 overall - Reuben Foster LB
3) #66 overall - Fabian Moreau CB
3) #104 overall - CJ Beathard QB
4) #121 overall - Jake Butt TE
5) #146 overall - Joe Williams RB
5) #177 overall - Sam Tevi OL
6) #198 overall - DJ Jones DT
6) #202 overall - Robert Davis WR
7) #229 overall - Josh Harvey-Clemons SS

- I'll stay with these first couple picks as I was a moderate fan of Thomas but a huge fan of Foster. I think with the trades and players available it couldnt have been better.

- I think Foster will have a bigger impact than Thomas but both will be competing for All Pro spots by year 4.

- Moreau was a 1st round cb and should not have still been available in the 3rd, his torn pectoral issue is a freak incident that I cant see limiting him in his career. I think he is a better player than Witherspoon right now and gives the option of moving to safety later in his career.

- You know I liked a few qb's but something about the conviction from Shanahan gives me confidence in his opinion Beathard so while I may be smarter than the GM i'm not smarter than our coach when it comes to assessing qb talent.

- I think Butt will be one of the top 3 TE's from this class which is loaded. His knee issues are concerning but thats really a risk worth taking here in the 4th round if he's a complete prospect across the board.

- JoeWill's off the field issues look better when the details emerge. Talent wise there was not a better back available at this point in the draft and I while I dont hate Hyde after him we are thin so I like this pick.

- I think we should have addressed the o-line this draft and Utah had a lot of talented guys it put out this year with Tevi being one of them. Physically he has everything you look for in a swing tackle and did well in blocking for the guy we picked right before.

- I stayed with DJ Jones I love this pick by Lynch, a stout DT in the 4-3 who doesnt need to rack up statistics to make an impact.

- Robert Davis is a 6'3 220 big bodied receiver with 4.4 speed 41 inch vert and 6.8 3 cone is not something you see often from guys in the 6th round. He's a project but we dont have this physical receiver on our roster right now and he could contribute of ST immediately until he develops as a WR.

- Lastly Harvey-Clemons is Kam Chancellor esque, the type of player who would have been picked much earlier but 3 failed drug test in his college career caused him to fall. If i'm GM I make this pick then immediately use that cap room have to hire the most expensive babysitter money can buy for him and foster.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
One of my favorite things to look forward to on FF. Thanks for putting this together as usual Y2.

1) #3 overall - Solomon Thomas DE
3) #66 overall - Fabian Moreau CB
3) #104 overall - CJ Beathard QB
4) #121 overall - Jake Butt TE
5) #146 overall - Joe Williams RB
5) #177 overall - Sam Tevi OL
6) #202 overall - Robert Davis WR
7) #229 overall - Josh Harvey-Clemons SS

- I'll stay with these first couple picks as I was a moderate fan of Thomas but a huge fan of Foster. I think with the trades and players available it couldnt have been better.

- I think Foster will have a bigger impact than Thomas but both will be competing for All Pro spots by year 4.

- Moreau was a 1st round cb and should not have still been available in the 3rd, his torn pectoral issue is a freak incident that I cant see limiting him in his career. I think he is a better player than Witherspoon right now and gives the option of moving to safety later in his career.

- You know I liked a few qb's but something about the conviction from Shanahan gives me confidence in his opinion Beathard so while I may be smarter than the GM i'm not smarter than our coach when it comes to assessing qb talent.

- I think Butt will be one of the top 3 TE's from this class which is loaded. His knee issues are concerning but thats really a risk worth taking here in the 4th round if he's a complete prospect across the board.

- JoeWill's off the field issues look better when the details emerge. Talent wise there was not a better back available at this point in the draft and I while I dont hate Hyde after him we are thin so I like this pick.

- I think we should have addressed the o-line this draft and Utah had a lot of talented guys it put out this year with Tevi being one of them. Physically he has everything you look for in a swing tackle and did well in blocking for the guy we picked right before.

- I stayed with DJ Jones I love this pick by Lynch, a stout DT in the 4-3 who doesnt need to rack up statistics to make an impact.

- Robert Davis is a 6'3 220 big bodied receiver with 4.4 speed 41 inch vert and 6.8 3 cone is not something you see often from guys in the 6th round. He's a project but we dont have this physical receiver on our roster right now and he could contribute of ST immediately until he develops as a WR.

- Lastly Harvey-Clemons is Kam Chancellor esque, the type of player who would have been picked much earlier but 3 failed drug test in his college career caused him to fall. If i'm GM I make this pick then immediately use that cap room have to hire the most expensive babysitter money can buy for him and foster.

I like Witherspoon and Kittle but might well have taken Moreau over WItherspoon and taken Butt over Kittle if he had just been taken one pick sooner than Kittle.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:

I like Witherspoon and Kittle but might well have taken Moreau over WItherspoon and taken Butt over Kittle if he had just been taken one pick sooner than Kittle.

I just realized i put JoWill in the wrong spot, and Butt wouldnt be available at 146 so ima need to edit that original move. Think

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

I just realized i put JoWill in the wrong spot, and Butt wouldnt be available at 146 so ima need to edit that original move. Think

Feel free to edit that post - I take notes of post edit times, so I'll count anything with a pre-regular season 2017 edit date. After that - I'll be suspicious of someone using hindsight to change their minds.

Forge

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
big9erfan wrote:

Feel free to edit that post - I take notes of post edit times, so I'll count anything with a pre-regular season 2017 edit date. After that - I'll be suspicious of someone using hindsight to change their minds.

Yeah, last year I did the late season edit to include the FFMD draft, just because I like to include that in these since it's more community driven. I was super freaked out about the editing of the post too that I think I posted about it Laughing I did a bunch of stars and caps to show the edit, but it was funny how nervous I was about it. Luckily, my draft I'm pretty sure was bad (passed on Defo, drafted Myles Jack who appears to be a bust), so I don't think anyone could look at it and be like, "oh yeah, you were messing around with stuff!" Laughing

Melbourne 9er

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) #3 overall - Jamal Adams S
3) #66 overall - Jordan Willis LEO
3) #104 overall - Tedric Thompson FS
4) #121 overall - Joe Williams RB
5) #146 overall - George Kittle TE
5) #177 overall - Trent Taylor WR
6) #202 overall - Brad Kaaya QB
7) #229 overall - Kyle Fuller C

Kept a few of the same players as Lynch and Shanny as I will defer to their judgement on the offensive skill players.

Also no problem with Foster or Jones as they are BPA at positions of need.

In this scenario we keep Jimmie at CB where he improved on a week by week basis. We then strengthen the back 3rd with the best player in the draft in Adams along with Thompson in the late 3rd.

We get our LEO in the 3rd with Willis so we can use Armstead and Buckner in their best positions.

We then get our developmental QB and extra OL depth at the end of the draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: