Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This years strength on offense for the 2018 draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: This years strength on offense for the 2018 draft Reply with quote

IMO, this draft will be exceptionally strong at QB, OT and WR, a very offensive draft. I do not think I have seen so many QB prospects ever in one draft. Of course, some will rise to the top while other sink to the bottom, but it is quite a group.

Definite first rounders and likely top 5 picks::

Sam Darnold, USC tops the pre season list
Josh Rosen, UCLA
Josh Allen, Wyoming Very interesting prospect

Likely top 10 prospect

Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Other possible 1st round talents:

Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma St.
Luke Falk, Washington St.
Jake Browning, Washington

Bringing up the rear, but solid prospects:

Austin Allen, Arkansas
Quinton Flowers, South Florida
Logan Woodside, Toledo
Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi St
Wilton Speight, Michigan
Tanner Mangum, BYU
Riley Ferguson, Memphis

Then there are:

Steven Montez, Colorado
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
J.T. Barrett, Ohio St.
Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

WR is possibly the strongest position in the draft from top to bottom, a lot of talent.

Current cream of the crop:

Calvin Ridley, Alabama
Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
Deon Cain, Clemson

Other 1st round possibilities:

Antonio Callaway, Florida
Mark Andrews, Oklahoma
Courtland Sutton, Southern Methodist

Then there are the Senior Class which is one of the best in years

Dante Pettis, Washington
Robert Foster, Alabama
James Washington, Oklahoma St.
Darren Carrington, Oregon
Daesean Hamilton, Penn St.
Allen Lazard, Iowa St.
D.J. Chark, LSU
Anthony Miller, Memphis
Devonte Boyd, UNLV
Eldridge Massington, UCLA
Michael Gallup, Colorado St.
Jester Weah, Pittsburgh
Simmie Cobbs, Indiana
Jake Wieneke, South Dakota St.
Janarion Grant, Rutgers
Cedrick Wilson, Boise St.
Cody THompson, Toledo

Followed by a strong junior class if they declare:

Hunter Renfrow, Clemson
Deebo Samuel, South Carolina
Trenton Irwin, Stanford
Deontay Burnett, USC
Damarkus Lodge, Mississippi
Parris Campbell, Ohio St.
Ray-Ray McCloud, Clemson
Quadree Henderson, Pittsburgh
Trequan Smith, Central Florida
Van Jefferson, Mississippi

The OT crop was strengthened by so many juniors opting to return for their senior year which is why the 2017 class was so weak at OT.

Cream of the crop:

Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

Other 1st round possibilities:

Connor Williams, Texas
Mitch Hyatt, Clemson
Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
Tyrell Crosby, Oregon
Martinas Rankin, Mississippi St.
Braden Smith, Auburn

Solid Depth with lots of potential starters:

Toby Weathersby, LSU
Trey Adams, Washington
Geron Christian, Louisville
Jamarco Jones, Ohio St.
Brett Kendrick, Tennessee
Ike Bottger, Iowa
Andrew Nelson, Penn St.
Casey Tucker, Stanford
David Bright, Stanford
Joseph Noteboom, TCU
Jake Campos, Iowa St.
Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan
Bentley Spain, North Carolina
Zachary Crabtree, Oklahoma St.

This is a repeat post, but I just thought it deserved its own post.

Last edited by Iamcanadian on Sun May 21, 2017 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lycaons

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browning won't be drafted till the 4th round or later. His arm strength looks bad.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browning is trash and I'll take Sutton as the top WR next year much like Davis this past draft.

Adopt-A-Titan:
Avery Williamson
tom cody

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great QB's available for 2018. If your team needs a QB this is the draft to get 1 it looks like.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Top5Fitz

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cream of crop" for WRs

Sees Ridley and Kirk listed and I *proceed to close the page*. Give me Callaway, Cain, Sutton, Tate and Washington over those overrated two.

LB Haason Reddick, S Budda Baker, WR Chad Williams, OG Dorian Johnson, OT Will Holden, RB/KR TJ Logan, CB/S Rudy Ford
Ozzy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:

Josh Rosen, UCLA

Likely top 10 prospect

Austin Allen, Arkansas
Logan Woodside, Toledo
Riley Ferguson, Memphis
Wilton Speight, Michigan
Tanner Mangum, BYU

Then there are:

Steven Montez, Colorado
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
J.T. Barrett, Ohio St.
Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Montez is a RS SOPH, you think he might declare early? The guy struggled a lot last year and outside of running he did not accomplish all that much, when Sefo went out of a few games and he came in the game was basically over because of it. Talented yes, tall and athletic but be shocked to see him improve to the point of coming out early for the 2018 draft. Mayfield is too low I think, he is far better than some of the prospects ahead of him, he is a better game manager and has better accuracy than say Mahomes does with similar ability to create and make plays down field. Big difference is his size, if Mayfield was bigger and taller all would be talking about him as a high 1st round pick. Stidham is going to greatly out play a lot of these QBs listed ahead of him as well, should just blow up on Auburn after showing a big time arm and athletic ability on Baylor. Be super surprised if Browning comes out early, I really doubt that happens, same with Mangum.

For the WRs I hope Ridley plays up to his potential this year, was really disappointed in his play last year but of course a lot of it was the QB play he had. Cain has to really improve, kind of disappointed over the past few years, needs to take the next step but might be out played by other teammates on Clemson this year will see. I do not see the WR class as being overall that talented in the up coming 2018 draft, have some good players but not like you will have 6 WRs taken in the 1st round or something. Had three WRs taken in the top 10 this past year and I would not say it was this amazing class of WRs, and doubt that happens next year, will see. Also I do not see Andrews as a WR, more of a Hodges type TE who might play slot or out wide in college but ideally is best as a pass catching TE or HB. He has the size you want for the position and not sure he is fast enough to play WR to be honest, but he is more than fast enough to beat defenders as a TE.

I agree Orlando Brown I really like as well, thought he could have maybe even come out early last year but with another year at OU should lock him into possibly top 10 in the 1st round. And I agree this past year in 2017 obviously was very weak at OT, this up coming year with underclassmen could be quite strong which is a great thing. These two juniors Yosuah Nijman JR, Dalton Risner JR are very talented and are possibly early entry guys and these seniors David Knevel, Kyle Meadows, Darius James, Rick Leonard, Gewhite Stallworth, Aaron Cochran and Sunny Odogwu all have potential and are decent prospects for the up coming draft at OT as well.

Not sure if you are only doing offensive guys, but one could argue the safety position for the potential 2018 draft is extremely strong and arguably right behind the QB and right with the OT position. Derwin James, Quin Blanding, Chase Hansen, Ronnie Harrison, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Armani Watts and Jordan Whitehead all have 1st round potential, and could easily have five or six in the 1st round. Derwin James is a freak show and is better than Jamal Adams this past year and that says a lot. Has potential to be the best safety drafted since Eric Berry arguably. Not to mention could make a case Arden Key is better than Myles Garrett especially as a 3/4 OLB potentially. Christian Wilkins arguably is better than any DT in this past draft as well. And arguably Saquon Barkley at the moment is probably better than Fournette as a prospect in terms of being an all around back and is probably more athletic and is just about as big.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridley is overrated as hell. I'll take a loaded OT class though. That sounds nice.

Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:

Josh Rosen, UCLA

Likely top 10 prospect

Austin Allen, Arkansas
Logan Woodside, Toledo
Riley Ferguson, Memphis
Wilton Speight, Michigan
Tanner Mangum, BYU

Then there are:

Steven Montez, Colorado
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
J.T. Barrett, Ohio St.
Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Montez is a RS SOPH, you think he might declare early? The guy struggled a lot last year and outside of running he did not accomplish all that much, when Sefo went out of a few games and he came in the game was basically over because of it. Talented yes, tall and athletic but be shocked to see him improve to the point of coming out early for the 2018 draft. Mayfield is too low I think, he is far better than some of the prospects ahead of him, he is a better game manager and has better accuracy than say Mahomes does with similar ability to create and make plays down field. Big difference is his size, if Mayfield was bigger and taller all would be talking about him as a high 1st round pick. Stidham is going to greatly out play a lot of these QBs listed ahead of him as well, should just blow up on Auburn after showing a big time arm and athletic ability on Baylor. Be super surprised if Browning comes out early, I really doubt that happens, same with Mangum.

Quote:

Montez is listed because of his athletic ability, if he has a great year, he might declare, no way of telling.

Quote:

As for who declares, we can never predict that, so I have listed the prospects who have the talent and we will just have to wait and see who declares.

For the WRs I hope Ridley plays up to his potential this year, was really disappointed in his play last year but of course a lot of it was the QB play he had. Cain has to really improve, kind of disappointed over the past few years, needs to take the next step but might be out played by other teammates on Clemson this year will see. I do not see the WR class as being overall that talented in the up coming 2018 draft, have some good players but not like you will have 6 WRs taken in the 1st round or something. Had three WRs taken in the top 10 this past year and I would not say it was this amazing class of WRs, and doubt that happens next year, will see. Also I do not see Andrews as a WR, more of a Hodges type TE who might play slot or out wide in college but ideally is best as a pass catching TE or HB. He has the size you want for the position and not sure he is fast enough to play WR to be honest, but he is more than fast enough to beat defenders as a TE.

Quote:
I love the potential of the top 3 to 6, again, just have to see which ones have great seasons, just guessing based on talent at this stage.

Quote:
I disagree, from top to bottom, there are a huge # of solid prospects, should be a strong group with possible starters found even in round 3. Of course, the top 6 need solid seasons to shine and make this class special, but they have the ability to do that.

I completely agree on Andrews.

I agree Orlando Brown I really like as well, thought he could have maybe even come out early last year but with another year at OU should lock him into possibly top 10 in the 1st round. And I agree this past year in 2017 obviously was very weak at OT, this up coming year with underclassmen could be quite strong which is a great thing. These two juniors Yosuah Nijman JR, Dalton Risner JR are very talented and are possibly early entry guys and these seniors David Knevel, Kyle Meadows, Darius James, Rick Leonard, Gewhite Stallworth, Aaron Cochran and Sunny Odogwu all have potential and are decent prospects for the up coming draft at OT as well.

Quote:
Great potential with real depth at OT.

Not sure if you are only doing offensive guys, but one could argue the safety position for the potential 2018 draft is extremely strong and arguably right behind the QB and right with the OT position. Derwin James, Quin Blanding, Chase Hansen, Ronnie Harrison, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Armani Watts and Jordan Whitehead all have 1st round potential, and could easily have five or six in the 1st round. Derwin James is a freak show and is better than Jamal Adams this past year and that says a lot. Has potential to be the best safety drafted since Eric Berry arguably. Not to mention could make a case Arden Key is better than Myles Garrett especially as a 3/4 OLB potentially. Christian Wilkins arguably is better than any DT in this past draft as well. And arguably Saquon Barkley at the moment is probably better than Fournette as a prospect in terms of being an all around back and is probably more athletic and is just about as big.

This draft could be special at a lot of positions and with the # of top flight QB's, a lot of position players could get pushed down farther than they would have gone if they had been in this year's draft.

By the way, Earl Thomas, who was in the same draft as Berry, turned out to be the better player as Mayock predicted. I love Key, the best non QB in the draft, but I feel Wilkins still has a ways to go before we can go crazy over him. I am only seeing him at this point as a very late 1st rounder.
I think it is a toss up between Fournette and Barkley as to who is the better prospect, I'd give a slight edge to Fournette at this stage.

As for James, I agree, he is a huge talent, but he is coming off an injury, so we will have to wait on that one. I do agree that the Safety crop is 1st class. Watch out for SS Jonathan Crawford of Indiana as well. I think the OLB/DE class is very solid and could produce a large # of 1st rounders.
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
By the way, Earl Thomas, who was in the same draft as Berry, turned out to be the better player as Mayock predicted.

Just want to pull this comment out. Now while I admit to being a Vols fan, there is literally nothing to support this claim. They've been used in different ways during their careers, and both are all-pro, elite level players based on how they've been used. Add in to that fact Berry overcame cancer to be every bit as good as Thomas and that premise is strained at best.

Seriously, we're awesome. We all may or may not have mild-at-best psychological issues, but we are damn fun.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnarok wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
By the way, Earl Thomas, who was in the same draft as Berry, turned out to be the better player as Mayock predicted.

Just want to pull this comment out. Now while I admit to being a Vols fan, there is literally nothing to support this claim. They've been used in different ways during their careers, and both are all-pro, elite level players based on how they've been used. Add in to that fact Berry overcame cancer to be every bit as good as Thomas and that premise is strained at best.

Berry is great. But in a vacuum, I'd rather have earl thomas.

Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:

It depends. Berry has been on average used more as that in-the-box type safety to cover TEs, attack the run, and support the defensive front. But he has also been used as a FS to cover the deep middle. And he has been excellent in all facets. That said, Thomas is probably the only safety in the NFL that is clearly a better deep cover safety than Berry. I'd take Berry first due to his flexibility, Thomas second due to his deep cover ability and lack of flexibility, then McCourty as my third best safety and Harrison Smith fourth.

But as I said, I am a Vols fan, so I may be a bit biased.

Seriously, we're awesome. We all may or may not have mild-at-best psychological issues, but we are damn fun.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnarok wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:

It depends. Berry has been on average used more as that in-the-box type safety to cover TEs, attack the run, and support the defensive front. But he has also been used as a FS to cover the deep middle. And he has been excellent in all facets. That said, Thomas is probably the only safety in the NFL that is clearly a better deep cover safety than Berry. I'd take Berry first due to his flexibility, Thomas second due to his deep cover ability and lack of flexibility, then McCourty as my third best safety and Harrison Smith fourth.

Thomas plays single high more and is the best in the NFL at it. That's pretty much the end of the discussion, he's better than Berry. Berry is a great player, but box safeties aren't as valuable, and he spends a decent amount of time playing in that role.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Techbert

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: This years strength on offense for the 2018 draft Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
...Good list...

You're not connected with GBNReport, are you?

http://gbnreport.com/strengths-2018-draft/
Counselor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: This years strength on offense for the 2018 draft Reply with quote

Techbert wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
...Good list...

You're not connected with GBNReport, are you?

http://gbnreport.com/strengths-2018-draft/

Complete steal from over there...

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
Ragnarok

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Ragnarok wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:

Thomas plays single high more and is the best in the NFL at it. That's pretty much the end of the discussion, he's better than Berry. Berry is a great player, but box safeties aren't as valuable, and he spends a decent amount of time playing in that role.

Just because Thomas is the best single high safety doesn't mean he is better than Berry. That'd be like saying that Tyron Smith is a better player than Zack Martin(as an example), just because Tyron is the best LT in the game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: