You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MMA XXXVI | Mayweather-McGregor official for 8/26
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkobow05

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: MMA XXXVI | Mayweather-McGregor official for 8/26 Reply with quote

Current World Champions

Men's

UFC
Heavyweight: Stipe Miocic (17-2)
Light Heavyweight: Daniel Cormier (19-1)
Middleweight: Michael Bisping (30-7) | Robert Whittaker (19-4)
Welterweight: Tyron Woodley (17-3-1)
Lightweight: Conor McGregor (21-3)
Featherweight: Max Holloway (18-3)
Bantamweight: Cody Garbrandt (11-0)
Flyweight: Demetrious Johnson (26-2-1)

Bellator
Heavyweight: Vacant
Light Heavyweight: Ryan Bader (23-5)
Middleweight: Rafael Carvalho (14-1)
Welterweight: Douglas Lima (29-6)
Lightweight: Brent Primus (8-0)
Featherweight: Patricio "Pitbull" Friere (26-4)
Bantamweight: Eduardo Dantas (20-4)

PFL
Heavyweight: Blagoy Ivanov (15-1; 1 NC)
Light Heavyweight: Vacant
Middleweight: Vacant
Welterweight: Jon Fitch (29-7-1; 1 NC)
Lightweight: Vacant
Featherweight: Andre Harrison (16-0)
Bantamweight: Bekbulat Magomedov (18-1)

ONE
Heavyweight: Brandon Vera (15-7; 1 NC)
Light Heavyweight: Roger Gracie (8-2)
Middleweight: Aung La N Sang (20-10)
Welterweight: Ben Askren (16-0; 1 NC)
Lightweight: Eduard Folayang (18-5)
Featherweight: Marat Gafurov (15-0)
Bantamweight: Bibiano Fernandes (20-3)
Flyweight: Kairat Akhmetov (20-0)
Strawweight: Yoshitaka Naito (12-0)

Women's

UFC
Featherweight: Vacant
Bantamweight: Amanda Nunes (14-4)
Strawweight: Joanna Jedrzejczyk (14-0)

Invicta FC
Featherweight: Megan Anderson (8-2)
Bantamweight: Tonya Evinger (19-5; 1 NC)
Flyweight: Jennifer Maia (14-4-1)
Strawweight: Angela Hill (6-2)
Atomweight: Ayaka Hamasaki (13-2)

Bellator
Featherweight: Julia Budd (10-2)

ONE
Atomweight: Angela Lee (8-0)

Last edited by bkobow05 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:16 am; edited 10 times in total
jfinley88

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wood v. maia doesn't get me excited. maia for sure deserves it, but think twood ko's him.

and disagree w/ narrative that wood will be all tentative w/ maia. think he ko's him quick.

but also thought andrade would beat jj easy, so i suck at predicting things.
bkobow05

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodley has no reason to fear Maia tbh. His striking is miles ahead of Demian's and his TDD is definitely good enough to avoid going to the mat with him. Probably ends in a Woodley KO/TKO. Maia's striking simply isn't good enough to be a "complete" fighter like Woodley.

And this is coming from someone that hates T-Wood.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea if Maia tries to beat Woodley the same way I just don't see the judges awarding him the strap. Champions advantage would come into play.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
Yea if Maia tries to beat Woodley the same way I just don't see the judges awarding him the strap. Champions advantage would come into play.

He will probably have to "pull guard" and Woodley won't be having that. I am not a Woodley fan either, but I think he should be able to avoid the TD and beat Maia standing.

It may look like the Maia v Anderson Silva fight which was pretty awful.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
eagles101

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bkobow05 wrote:
Woodley has no reason to fear Maia tbh. His striking is miles ahead of Demian's and his TDD is definitely good enough to avoid going to the mat with him. Probably ends in a Woodley KO/TKO. Maia's striking simply isn't good enough to be a "complete" fighter like Woodley.

Except maia has shown he will go to every length not to stand up. Everyone has a huge advantage in striking and it hasnt helped much. If woodley comes out with the mindset there is nothing to fear then he probably will lose. Just look at maia last fight. He doesnt need 100% takedown, he needs to just get you down once a round and it will probably stay there for the rest of the round.

But i mean maia does suck at every other aspect of fighting so if he gets into any bad spot it will be over fast. You just cant get ahead of yourself and let him get a sub.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:

Except maia has shown he will go to every length not to stand up. Everyone has a huge advantage in striking and it hasnt helped much. If woodley comes out with the mindset there is nothing to fear then he probably will lose. Just look at maia last fight. He doesnt need 100% takedown, he needs to just get you down once a round and it will probably stay there for the rest of the round.

But i mean maia does suck at every other aspect of fighting so if he gets into any bad spot it will be over fast. You just cant get ahead of yourself and let him get a sub.

Why would he stand up with a clinical striker like Masvidal ?

Dana has to push some WW talent though looking at the roster. Masvidal/Thompson verbally agreed on Twitter and Cerrone/Lawler but it's pretty barren on top end talent
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does TWood have the tank to deal with being ridden like a pony if Maia gets him there? Should be an interesting matchup even if TW is miles better on feet

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:

Nobody outside of maybe Gunnar Nelson has the ability to keep Maia on the feet as easily as Woodley can. That's the point. Woodley's wrestling and TDD are going to be good enough that, if Maia tries to shoot like he did vs Masvidal, he's going to get rebuffed every time and eat shots while there.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I can see T-Wood brickwalling Maia, but Maia is pretty crafty. He doesn't rely on shots only. At 185 he did a ton of clinch takedowns, and he can also pull guard if he gets stuffed. Also he manhandled 2 really physical fighters in Story and Rory (1st round), and Rory manhandled Woodley.

Honestly have no idea about this fight. I'd favor Woodley because I agree with you guys it's more likely he controls the fight, but Maia is super crafty and can end a fight with a single takedown, and he might have 25 mins to get one.

D#######
eagles101

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
^I can see T-Wood brickwalling Maia, but Maia is pretty crafty. He doesn't rely on shots only. At 185 he did a ton of clinch takedowns, and he can also pull guard if he gets stuffed. Also he manhandled 2 really physical fighters in Story and Rory (1st round), and Rory manhandled Woodley.

Honestly have no idea about this fight. I'd favor Woodley because I agree with you guys it's more likely he controls the fight, but Maia is super crafty and can end a fight with a single takedown, and he might have 25 mins to get one.

Exactly. Maia can be extremely crazy crafty, also overwhelmingly predictable. So if he can keep woodley on his toes we might see an amazing fight....but more likely woodley knocks him out or we have a very long pony ride. Either way for me its not worth buying the fight unless there are some massively good other fights.

eagles101

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:

Why would he stand up with a clinical striker like Masvidal ?

Dana has to push some WW talent though looking at the roster. Masvidal/Thompson verbally agreed on Twitter and Cerrone/Lawler but it's pretty barren on top end talent

He wouldnt...thats why he didnt.

The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfinley88 wrote:
wood v. maia doesn't get me excited. maia for sure deserves it, but think twood ko's him.

and disagree w/ narrative that wood will be all tentative w/ maia. think he ko's him quick.

Now I can certainly see TWood winning the fight, but I don't see how you can have such confidence that he's going to KO Maia quick, when Maia's only been knocked out once in his MMA career - and a case (not a great one, but still a case) could be made that he was KO'd more by his impact with the canvas in that Marquardt fight than he was by Nate's overhand right.

Maia's fought better strikers than Wood and gone the distance. Just can't see any confidence in a quick KO unless you're going heavy homer for Wood.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
jfinley88

Location: fin-land Metaphysical & Eternal EveryoneLoveEveryone
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
jfinley88 wrote:

Now I can certainly see TWood winning the fight, but I don't see how you can have such confidence that he's going to KO Maia quick, when Maia's only been knocked out once in his MMA career - and a case (not a great one, but still a case) could be made that he was KO'd more by his impact with the canvas in that Marquardt fight than he was by Nate's overhand right.

Maia's fought better strikers than Wood and gone the distance. Just can't see any confidence in a quick KO unless you're going heavy homer for Wood.

dunno just feel like twood's gonna blitz him ala the stun gun fight and dont think maia can in any way handle such a furious burst of athleticism/fast twitch muscle fiber barreling towards him

maybe more technical/skilled strikers. dudes like jorge, matt brown, condit, etc. nobody that can really be as intimidating barreling towards him.

dont think maia will handle it.
Buckrock101

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:

Yeah, we've seen plenty of times, Brown and Masvidal fights are good examples, where Maia's shots have been stuffed, and he resorts to pulling guard or half guard and looking for a reversal from there. Problem is that may be extremely risky against a guy like Woodley, because he could end the fight with just one or two ground and pound shots.

Only thing for Woodley is to make sure he pushes forward, and doesn't let himself back up against the cage. If he does, it makes it so much easier for Maia to get the takedown, and from there it's his fight to lose.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 1 of 56

Jump to: