Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oakland Raiders Offense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article saying Walford might be cut Laughing . What a joke.

I agree on giving players 3 years. If he actually wasn't healthy last year, this year will give him a fairer shake and competition will help for sure.

I'm expecting Walford to show a lot of ability and stick with the team long term after Cook's contract is up. I think he can be the guy for us, even though I think he looked better as a rookie than last year.

Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
Dessie

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either Howard is our starter or he's cut imo. Newhouse will be vet insurance should we cut Howard. Be interesting to see what we do with Alexander and Sharpe and where we see them playing. Could see both playing inside or outside.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
I didn't see a thread like this, although we have one for defense and I figured it would be a good idea to get one started to discuss play calling, positional groups, etc.

For starters, did you guys see that apparently JDR mentioned Newhouse being the current starter at right tackle? That doesn't sound promising.
According to PFF Newhouse had a better season than Howard and Watson and could actually be a slight upgrade with Tice coaching him.

I really hate PFF has become the authority on players.

Eye test... Newhouse sucks. He's bounced around the league as a stopgap Oline piece and will be a constant whipping boy on this forum as he's giving up pressures and missing blocks.

I'm sure you caught a bunch of Giants games last year and keyed on Newhouse. It is what it is.

Newhouse wasn't expected to be a great find and the incumbent at RT. Dude didn't even get more than 500k guaranteed. He is injury insurance IMO. I'm of the opposite opinion than oakdb36. I think they want Howard to win the job and return to form and are using competition to light a fire. That's fits with this coaching and front office staff. If one of the young guys beats them both so be it. But on Paper Howard should win the spot if healthy.

No. But I've heard enough bad about him over the years to know you don't want him starting on your Oline.

Crazy to me he's only 28. Feels like he's been in the league years now

But you said eye test haha, I'm just messing with you.

We all just hope one of these dudes doesn't drag the rest of the line down. It's been mentioned a few times but having Lee Smith back is really gonna help as well. We won't have to sacrifice the threat of a TE on the edge when we want to have successful runs like we did last year.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
I didn't see a thread like this, although we have one for defense and I figured it would be a good idea to get one started to discuss play calling, positional groups, etc.

For starters, did you guys see that apparently JDR mentioned Newhouse being the current starter at right tackle? That doesn't sound promising.
According to PFF Newhouse had a better season than Howard and Watson and could actually be a slight upgrade with Tice coaching him.

Eye test... Newhouse sucks. He's bounced around the league as a stopgap Oline piece and will be a constant whipping boy on this forum as he's giving up pressures and missing blocks.

I'm sure you caught a bunch of Giants games last year and keyed on Newhouse. It is what it is.

Newhouse wasn't expected to be a great find and the incumbent at RT. Dude didn't even get more than 500k guaranteed. He is injury insurance IMO. I'm of the opposite opinion than oakdb36. I think they want Howard to win the job and return to form and are using competition to light a fire. That's fits with this coaching and front office staff. If one of the young guys beats them both so be it. But on Paper Howard should win the spot if healthy.

No. But I've heard enough bad about him over the years to know you don't want him starting on your Oline.

We all just hope one of these dudes doesn't drag the rest of the line down. It's been mentioned a few times but having Lee Smith back is really gonna help as well. We won't have to sacrifice the threat of a TE on the edge when we want to have successful runs like we did last year.

Didn't mean my eyes. Laughing

RT is a sticking point for this team. Have yet to lock it down w/ anything consistent.

I want no part Newhouse blocking Houston, Miller, Bosa, etc. They will eat him alive.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

RT is a sticking point for this team. Have yet to lock it down w/ anything consistent.

I want no part Newhouse blocking Houston, Miller, Bosa, etc. They will eat him alive.

I'm not convinced of that or of Newhouse being the opening day starter. Like I said, I think he was signed as insurance but was a decent pass blocker last year. I think the org would prefer Howard take the spot but the best will get it thru competition.

Now against those 3 players you mentioned any avg RT will get beat up a bit. They are top 5 edge players when healthy. We just need the RT to not be a liability and I don't think Newhouse would be, especially with Tice, Carr, the rest of our line and Smith around him.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's no reason to cut walford. he's due 0.9 million this year and 1.0 million next year. it's not like he's so bad that he's hurting the team. he just hasn't been the difference making receiver we hoped he would be.

for all we know jared cook gets hurt and walford becomes the spot starter. he's still good enough to do that. maybe cook underperforms and gets cut next year. walford is cheap and a high quality reserve at worst.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
there's no reason to cut walford. he's due 0.9 million this year and 1.0 million next year. it's not like he's so bad that he's hurting the team. he just hasn't been the difference making receiver we hoped he would be.

for all we know jared cook gets hurt and walford becomes the spot starter. he's still good enough to do that. maybe cook underperforms and gets cut next year. walford is cheap and a high quality reserve at worst.

Exactly. Why would you cut a 25 year old tight end who's shown talent/promise. It's absurd

Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

I'm not convinced of that or of Newhouse being the opening day starter. Like I said, I think he was signed as insurance but was a decent pass blocker last year. I think the org would prefer Howard take the spot but the best will get it thru competition.

Now against those 3 players you mentioned any avg RT will get beat up a bit. They are top 5 edge players when healthy. We just need the RT to not be a liability and I don't think Newhouse would be, especially with Tice, Carr, the rest of our line and Smith around him.
Quote:
Sharpe is a better fit at right tackle in the NFL, so that could also be his long-term home. Oakland has a talented offensive line with a tough interior that should help Sharpe to develop. He also has a possible mentor in Raiders left tackle Donald Penn. Penn wasn't a high draft pick, yet turned himself into a Pro Bowler. Penn also has had weight issues to battle in his career so perhaps Sharpe can learn from the veteran

Sharpe also landed with one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL with Mike Tice. It wouldn't be surprising if Sharpe ends up being a fourth-round steal for the Raiders and emerges as a quality starting right tackle in his career.

NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

Quote:
Sharpe is a better fit at right tackle in the NFL, so that could also be his long-term home. Oakland has a talented offensive line with a tough interior that should help Sharpe to develop. He also has a possible mentor in Raiders left tackle Donald Penn. Penn wasn't a high draft pick, yet turned himself into a Pro Bowler. Penn also has had weight issues to battle in his career so perhaps Sharpe can learn from the veteran

Sharpe also landed with one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL with Mike Tice. It wouldn't be surprising if Sharpe ends up being a fourth-round steal for the Raiders and emerges as a quality starting right tackle in his career.

Where is this a quote from and who wrote it?

Is this your view as well?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

Quote:

Walter Football, and yeah I kind of think he could be the surprise winner of the RT battle.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

Quote:

Walter Football, and yeah I kind of think he could be the surprise winner of the RT battle.

Just needed more than a blind quote. It helps to know the source and why it was posted.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading in a few places that carr is reportedly frustrated with lack of progress on a deal. sounds out of character, but i'm also surprised there's been no word of progress
Chali21

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
reading in a few places that carr is reportedly frustrated with lack of progress on a deal. sounds out of character, but i'm also surprised there's been no word of progress

Silver is the guy who first reported it so take it with a grain of salt. But I could see why he'd be annoyed because the Raiders did say they'd start negotiations after the draft. But I think that they are holding off until all the draft picks are signed because they have to be signed. Carr still has another year on his contract so he's playing this season no matter what. I still think he gets an extension before TC.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:

Silver is the guy who first reported it so take it with a grain of salt. But I could see why he'd be annoyed because the Raiders did say they'd start negotiations after the draft. But I think that they are holding off until all the draft picks are signed because they have to be signed. Carr still has another year on his contract so he's playing this season no matter what. I still think he gets an extension before TC.
Sure he's playing this season no matter what, but many players in his position have held out, meaning missing camp time and even some regular season games. I personally don't believe the story because Carr is a team player and he knows he is going to get paid.
Chali21

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:

Sure he's playing this season no matter what, but many players in his position have held out, meaning missing camp time and even some regular season games. I personally don't believe the story because Carr is a team player and he knows he is going to get paid.

I personally doubt he doesn't get signed before TC but even if he doesn't I also doubt that he'd hold out. He's too competitive to miss out on reps or even games. I'm sure he knows his value and the Raiders will lose games without him which could impact playoffs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: