You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oakland Raiders Offense
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

I didn't see a thread like this, although we have one for defense and I figured it would be a good idea to get one started to discuss play calling, positional groups, etc.

For starters, did you guys see that apparently JDR mentioned Newhouse being the current starter at right tackle? That doesn't sound promising.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lock the thread

jk Laughing
raidr4life

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
lock the thread

jk Laughing
Laughing I was going to do that. MrOaktown your'e "that guy".

Last edited by raidr4life on Tue May 16, 2017 6:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
raidr4life

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
I didn't see a thread like this, although we have one for defense and I figured it would be a good idea to get one started to discuss play calling, positional groups, etc.

For starters, did you guys see that apparently JDR mentioned Newhouse being the current starter at right tackle? That doesn't sound promising.
According to PFF Newhouse had a better season than Howard and Watson and could actually be a slight upgrade with Tice coaching him.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

According to PFF Newhouse had a better season than Howard and Watson and could actually be a slight upgrade with Tice coaching him.

I hope we can get right tackle figured out. I'm hoping one of the rooks (kirkland/alexander) can take that next step. IMO sharpe needs some time.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

I hope we can get right tackle figured out. I'm hoping one of the rooks (kirkland/alexander) can take that next step. IMO sharpe needs some time.

I think it is promising as Newhouse came to us on a great contract and played better that all the RTs we had on the roster last year and is slated to start at the moment above Howard, who some were saying only had a down year because he was hurt last yr. Well he is 100% per his own statements and is losing to Newhouse so I'm very happy about it. Like you said the young guys have a chance to develop now and they don't have to step in right away since Reggie had the forethought to invest in the line.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd say the only semi-uncertainties on our offense are RT and slot receiver
Rolni

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some questionmarks on the offensive side of the ball, but these are not huge issues IMO.

1. RT position
We have Austin Howard as a veteran, who should be able to bounce back after an injury plauged season. He played solid football in 2015, so I wouldn't write him off yet.

We have Marshall Newhouse, who is a versatile veteran, who played decent football last year on a pretty rough Giants OL. I think he could be a servicable option for us as stop gap RT, if he can beat out Howard or he could be a good primary back up at multiple positions.

I know JDR called Newhouse the current starter, but I think Howard is still rehabing. I expect Howard to get a real chance to earn his money. If the staff would been down on him he would have been cut just like Dan Williams IMO.

Vadal Alexander could be an interesting addition to this competition. He played some RT last year and while he committed multiple holding penalyties he was not too bad. He might have a chance to stick at RT.

Denver Kirkland doesn't have the feet for the outside job IMO. I think he will stay at back up RG and maybe will do some 6th OL duties.

David Sharpe will also be in the mix, but he is pretty raw, so I would expect him to sit in 2017.

2. RB position
The main question here is Marshawn Lynch's actual play come September. He is in good shape, he is healthy, he is dedicated, but then again he is a 30+ RB, who had a pretty bad 2015 year and was retired in 2016. If he really gets going we could be deadly, but if he struggles we might be in trouble.

I know we have Richard and Washington, but they were not really effective, when they didn't had Murray in as power RB.

We can say that Hood will be there if Lynch can't generate enough power, but I wouldn't be to confident in the Richard, Washington, Hood trio.

Carr played some of his best games, when we had a balanced attack, so a strong running game would help him a lot. We also need a strong running game to win the division and to go deep in the playoffs.

We need to beat the Chiefs, the Broncos and the Chargers and I really think a strong running game is key to our divisional success.
KC have a dangerous secondary and quality pass rush, so our best chance is to push them around on the ground and limit the TO's. Play them tough and smart.
Denver still has a great secondary and a dangerous pass rush, but their run D is still a weak spot. We need to continue to dominate them on the ground.
We will see how good that new SD defense will be, but with Rivers at QB, we want to have really long drives on O, so a consistent running game is a must.

When we talk about playoffs we can add teams like the Patriots, Pittsburg maybe Houston to that group. We need a strong running attack to compete with them IMO.

3. #3 WR spot
I don't want to use the term slot WR here, since I'm not entirely sure that we are looking for a classic slot WR.

I think we want to establish a strong ground game first, this is why I put RB ahead of WR here.

When we have a good running game and we keep D's honest with BeastMode and The Smurfs, we can start to play chess.

We will have Jared Cook to for a dangerous trio with Cooper and Crabtree, which would ease the pressure on the slot WR spot. I expect us to use Cook pretty heavily and try to create lots of missmatches.
Cook can kill a defense with his athleticism and hand if they concentrate too much on the RB's.

If the defense has to check the running game and has to always check the TE position with Cook and potentially Walford, our outside WR's will have more freedom. Cooper or Crabs will see lots of double teams, but there won't be enough defenders to double Cooper and still scheme some help against Crabs with the TE threat.

Roberts and Patterson will rotate at #3 and I expect us to use Patterson as an outisde guy from time to time, so we can move Cooper inside. Cooper could be a nightmare in the slot.
Patterson will have some designed pays and I expect us to target him quite some on deep passes, to strech the field and to give another thing to worry about fo the opposing DC's.

With that said I'm not expecting a clear #3\slot WR when it is all said and done. I expect more TE involvment, more double TE looks, heavy rotation at WR with Roberts and CP and I also expect us to move Cooper around more.

It should be fun as long as the OL keeps Carr clean and noone gets injured. We could be really one of the best offenses and one of the most fun teams to watch on O.
If the defense can step up.....
DirtyHarry

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Yeah I'd say the only semi-uncertainties on our offense are RT and slot receiver

Upgrading the third option in the passing game was one of my primary concerns. Thank you Reggie I can live with Roberts as the 3rd WR

JonesDrew32 wrote:
38-10 Chargers

This game should definitely bring some lulz from the Raiders side.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They haven't put the pads on yet. They only said Newhouse is in pole position.

Quote:
Scott Bair‏Verified account
@BairNBCS

JDR said right tackle will be an open competition, did say new guy Marshall Newhouse in pole position.

Imo, it just means they'd want someone to beat Howard for the job.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

I really hate PFF has become the authority on players.

Eye test... Newhouse sucks. He's bounced around the league as a stopgap Oline piece and will be a constant whipping boy on this forum as he's giving up pressures and missing blocks.

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

Eye test... Newhouse sucks. He's bounced around the league as a stopgap Oline piece and will be a constant whipping boy on this forum as he's giving up pressures and missing blocks.

I'm sure you caught a bunch of Giants games last year and keyed on Newhouse. It is what it is.

Newhouse wasn't expected to be a great find and the incumbent at RT. Dude didn't even get more than 500k guaranteed. He is injury insurance IMO. I'm of the opposite opinion than oakdb36. I think they want Howard to win the job and return to form and are using competition to light a fire. That's fits with this coaching and front office staff. If one of the young guys beats them both so be it. But on Paper Howard should win the spot if healthy.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oakland Raiders Offense Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raidr4life wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:

I'm sure you caught a bunch of Giants games last year and keyed on Newhouse. It is what it is.

Newhouse wasn't expected to be a great find and the incumbent at RT. Dude didn't even get more than 500k guaranteed. He is injury insurance IMO. I'm of the opposite opinion than oakdb36. I think they want Howard to win the job and return to form and are using competition to light a fire. That's fits with this coaching and front office staff. If one of the young guys beats them both so be it. But on Paper Howard should win the spot if healthy.

No. But I've heard enough bad about him over the years to know you don't want him starting on your Oline.

Crazy to me he's only 28. Feels like he's been in the league years now

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newhouse is probably not very good and being better than Howard and Watson according to PFF doesn't contradict that.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched David Sharpe vs LSU... Arden Key gave him the business. Key is gonna be a top 5 pick, but you don't want sharpe on a very fast edge guy or it'll be a problem.

I think Vadal is capable of taking the next step. Hopefully we can retain him in the years to come because he can potentially play right tackle and left guard.

Between Vadal and Howard and Newhouse, I'm hoping someone shows enough to be even average. I think we should cut howard personally unless he really shows out because he really isn't worth his contract.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: