Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How did all you people become Jet fans ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doumeyer

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: How did all you people become Jet fans ? Reply with quote

While we have a quit time in the NFL, this a good question. I was a young Giant fan at the time, and all my friends were hard core NFL fans. At the time there were two leagues the NFL & AFL, and the draft war started, the AFL owners were very rich & were grabbing most of the top players in the draft. All my friends said all these players that are going to the AFL suck. And we argued all the time, I would say to them you think Billy Cannon, Ernie Ladd, Earl Fasion, Lenny Dawson are bums. They said yes, and I said you are all nuts, and became a Jet fan.
Rich51

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up my father was a baseball fan and not into football. I only remember watching the new year's' bowl games and occasionally stopping by my uncles house to watch whatever game he had on.

Since my father was a National League fan we started following the Mets right when they were formed. When they moved to Shea in 64 I first became aware of the Jets since they also moved to Shea. I think it was the next year that the Jets made big news by signing Namath. So I said what the heck let me see what this is about.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born and raised on Long Island. My grandfather born and raised in the Bronx was a huge Jets fan. Oddly my dad is a Raiders fan for whatever reason. But my grandfather from a young age taught me to be a Jets fan. I moved to Texas at age 13 and honestly all my NY fandom went up once I moved there. I moved to an area where everyone was new to the area almost, so there were people all over the USA moving there, but sports teams and all having different backgrounds made it easier to make friends. I haven't looked back since and wear my Jets fandom on my sleeve. I'm 34 now.

Last edited by Bobby816 on Tue May 16, 2017 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Why the hell are the Patriots on my screen"

"But Dad"

"You don't deserve to call me Dad"

"Father, my allegiance is to you and the green and the white"

And that my friends is the story about how I drank my first beer.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
bcb1213

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the worst story you'll read today

Me and my friend were in 7th grade when the Browns moved. Of course being at that age we weren't overly loyal and we decided that we both needed new teams.

So we decided we didn't want to be called front runners and looked at the NFL standings. The two worst teams in the league were the Jets and the Patriots. We put both names in a hat and picked.

Needless to say God hated me that day, or loved me depending on your viewpoint
Sapo28

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in New England. When I first really started watching football the Pats were garbage and the Jets had Parcels and Chrebet, Keyshawn, and Martin.

Martin always looked unstoppable when running the football and could never root against that.

Now I just hate the Patriots and 90% of their fan base..
xrade

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a very young lad in 1970, my Dad was talking to others about the Jets winning the Superbowl at a family cookout over the summer. I overheard the conversation and decided to be a Jet fan. I look back and think "why did they have to talk about that" or "why did I have to overhear". I may have been a Giants fan and not as miserable.

To make matters worse, my oldest daughter became interested in football about 5 or 6 years ago. I told her to root for any team but the Patriots or Jets. Do not live a life of football misery. Naturally she did not listen and she, too, is now a miserable football fan.

Go Yankees! At least I have balance.
jetfuel

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growing up in Maine most people liked the Giants cowboys and 49ers back in the early 80's. No one was every a NE fan because the sucked so bad and the stadium was a dump. We use to go to the games for free if you played in the local pee wee football league. In 1983 I was watching a game with my dad, who is a huge Raider fan, and I saw a guy hit the QB so hard. I was amazed at how hard he hit him. Then he started to dance. I was so hooked on them. i told my dad I was a jet fan.

Mark Gastineau was the one that turned me into a jet fan. When I was in high school I saved up as much money as I could and I bought a game used Mark Gastineau jersey and framed it. It hangs right above my TV in the man cave. To this day I still don't see a guy like Mark on the field.
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born into it. My dad was lucky enough to see them win in 1969, so makes sense he's a fan - but my first memory of the Jets starts with Vinny Testaverde and Curtis Martin. They were good, but everything was overshadowed by the BB and Tom Brady show that started soon after.

What really sealed the deal was that I'm a sucker for underdogs and my father's favorite player was Wayne Chrebet. Talked all the time about how he went to his alma mater (Hofstra) and joined the Jets as a walk-on. Dude became a team hero despite being undersized and undervalued by his own teammates (my father hated Keyshawn). It was definitely a good story for a kid who had dreams of being a pro-player, so naturally, Chrebet became my favorite player and Jets my team.
Volkert314

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Father is a Giants fan.... and I hate my father.....

My family other than my dad are Jets fans and I became a fan at a young age... I don't really hate my father.. but he is a Giants fan
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad and his dad were Bills fans, my mom's dad was a giants fan. I wanted to be like them, but not exactly. So I picked the Jets...

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Bianconero

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to be a Giants fan bc everyone was a Giants fan + Testaverde was Italian

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Born into it. Jets formed when my dad was 10. He became a huge fan.

Then in 1995, my dad and all his friends decided to get season tickets. So at the age of 4, I had my own season ticket. Granted, we couldn't have picked a worse time to start having season tickets, I loved every second of it. We kept those tickets until I went off to college.

While being a Jets fan has been tough, I love every second of it. From the tailgates, to the action, the highs, the lows. I wouldn't change it. Except maybe a few extra wins some years.

R.I.P. Crakburn & BoYz2tHeBoWl
"We are worried. Kris Jenkins eats O-Lineman better then Kobayashi eats hot dogs." -Stephen Neal, Dan Koppen, and Logan Mankins
PaulieIceman

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was born into a Bills fan family. Watched them for a few year when I was really young because my dad was a fan. One game, they were playing the jets, and it just happened. A mistake I will have to live with the rest of my life lol.
canadianjetsfan

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up on the East Coast of Canada. Not surprising hockey was my number 1 passion and my team is the Montreal Canadiens. This also caused a deep hatred for all things Boston.

I didn't get into football until my early 20's (mostly because of NFL 2K3) as it was something that wasn't played where I grew up. Once I found an appreciation for the game, selecting a team was the next step. My first criteria was a team that could beat the Patriots. 2nd was a good physical defence. So I started watching more games and Curtis Martin, and John Abraham became my first favourite players.

The rest is history J.E.T.S. baby.

On a I feel your pain note. My wife picked a team one year because we were always watching so much football, and picked the Giants. No idea why, but she is a huge fan now and has enjoyed two championships.

Both my sons although young started cheering for the Broncos, so have seen a championship already. I now live in Western Canada so their choice makes a little more sense.

I am the only one in our family to not see my team win the Super Bowl, and they love to remind me of the fact.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: