Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Resigning Martin
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TD-ES-JJ


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 2144
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Resigning Martin Reply with quote

Will he be a team guy or demand to be the highest paid guard in the league?

I won't be mad either way. He's the best. I just hope he gives us a good contract for the team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Desperado82


Joined: 20 Feb 2010
Posts: 37575
Location: Somewhere in the middle
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-signing* Wink

I don't see him trying to hold out for more money nor do I think he'll have to,
I think he'll receive a fair offer from the team.
_________________

^^^El Rammy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 23279
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have A LOT of time. He's entering his fourth year, and we picked up his 5th year option so we technically don't have to worry about it for 2 years. I'm not worried. Plus, I'd prefer to dedicate the highest concentration of our cap space to o-line and d-line because they're the most critical components to a team's success outside of a QB.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TD-ES-JJ


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 2144
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
We have A LOT of time. He's entering his fourth year, and we picked up his 5th year option so we technically don't have to worry about it for 2 years. I'm not worried. Plus, I'd prefer to dedicate the highest concentration of our cap space to o-line and d-line because they're the most critical components to a team's success outside of a QB.


I agree, Tyron and Fitz are locked up, just have to get Martin locked up. I don't know where we would go to find Dline guys worthy of signing. Hell I want to cut Crawford and Thornton right now, but who do you sign.

We are on a good track for remaking this team if JJ doesn't fall in love with somebody who is overrated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SweetFancyMoses


Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
We have A LOT of time. He's entering his fourth year, and we picked up his 5th year option so we technically don't have to worry about it for 2 years. I'm not worried. Plus, I'd prefer to dedicate the highest concentration of our cap space to o-line and d-line because they're the most critical components to a team's success outside of a QB.


Martin will make 9mil for his 5th year, which is right in the middle of the per year average salaries Warford($8.5mil) and Decastro($10mil) got on their new contracts. I'd wait til next off season. I mean, what if he has a serious injury?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 23279
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweetFancyMoses wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
We have A LOT of time. He's entering his fourth year, and we picked up his 5th year option so we technically don't have to worry about it for 2 years. I'm not worried. Plus, I'd prefer to dedicate the highest concentration of our cap space to o-line and d-line because they're the most critical components to a team's success outside of a QB.


Martin will make 9mil for his 5th year, which is right in the middle of the per year average salaries Warford($8.5mil) and Decastro($10mil) got on their new contracts. I'd wait til next off season. I mean, what if he has a serious injury?


Using the injury risk threat as leverage to avoid signing someone in this case is naive and disingenuous because it suggests that no player should ever receive an extension until their contracts expire because they could get hurt. That logic is really, really flawed.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SweetFancyMoses


Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
SweetFancyMoses wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
We have A LOT of time. He's entering his fourth year, and we picked up his 5th year option so we technically don't have to worry about it for 2 years. I'm not worried. Plus, I'd prefer to dedicate the highest concentration of our cap space to o-line and d-line because they're the most critical components to a team's success outside of a QB.


Martin will make 9mil for his 5th year, which is right in the middle of the per year average salaries Warford($8.5mil) and Decastro($10mil) got on their new contracts. I'd wait til next off season. I mean, what if he has a serious injury?


Using the injury risk threat as leverage to avoid signing someone in this case is naive and disingenuous because it suggests that no player should ever receive an extension until their contracts expire because they could get hurt. That logic is really, really flawed.


If we are gonna get a bargain on a 5-7 year contract, then I am all for it, but you're saying that it's flawed not to negotiate until the off season before a player's last year of their contract? Steelers have done pretty well by sticking to the no negotiation before the last year of a contract.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 18603
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's in everyone's interest to get the Martin contract locked down. The Cowboys do have some leverage because they hold his rights for two more years, but there is no sense in holding his feet to the fire on it. The man walked into the NFL as an All-Pro, and is on the fast track to the ring of honor and maybe even the HOF. Pay the man what he deserves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plan9misfit


FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 23279
Location: RIP: B2TB, T14, & S.A. We miss you.
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweetFancyMoses wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
SweetFancyMoses wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
We have A LOT of time. He's entering his fourth year, and we picked up his 5th year option so we technically don't have to worry about it for 2 years. I'm not worried. Plus, I'd prefer to dedicate the highest concentration of our cap space to o-line and d-line because they're the most critical components to a team's success outside of a QB.


Martin will make 9mil for his 5th year, which is right in the middle of the per year average salaries Warford($8.5mil) and Decastro($10mil) got on their new contracts. I'd wait til next off season. I mean, what if he has a serious injury?


Using the injury risk threat as leverage to avoid signing someone in this case is naive and disingenuous because it suggests that no player should ever receive an extension until their contracts expire because they could get hurt. That logic is really, really flawed.


If we are gonna get a bargain on a 5-7 year contract, then I am all for it, but you're saying that it's flawed not to negotiate until the off season before a player's last year of their contract? Steelers have done pretty well by sticking to the no negotiation before the last year of a contract.


No, using the fear of injury as the reason for waiting is what's flawed because a player can get hurt at any point of his career. If we're going to wait to give him an extension, fine. Just don't use a bogus excuse like fearing injury. If we give him the extension before then, fine. I honestly don't care when we get the deal done as long as it gets done. Like I said, I'm all in on investing premium cap dollars on o-line and d-line, anyway.
_________________

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DalCowboyzRule


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 23226
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's going to get paid like he deserves to.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 31390
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Re-signing* Wink


This guy gets it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TD-ES-JJ


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 2144
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Re-signing* Wink


This guy gets it.


I wouldn't be surprised if we make him the highest paid guard in the league...He'd the best and I think he'll get paid that way
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cowboyfanin2890


Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 1870
Location: Hayesville NC
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
SweetFancyMoses wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
SweetFancyMoses wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
We have A LOT of time. He's entering his fourth year, and we picked up his 5th year option so we technically don't have to worry about it for 2 years. I'm not worried. Plus, I'd prefer to dedicate the highest concentration of our cap space to o-line and d-line because they're the most critical components to a team's success outside of a QB.


Martin will make 9mil for his 5th year, which is right in the middle of the per year average salaries Warford($8.5mil) and Decastro($10mil) got on their new contracts. I'd wait til next off season. I mean, what if he has a serious injury?


Using the injury risk threat as leverage to avoid signing someone in this case is naive and disingenuous because it suggests that no player should ever receive an extension until their contracts expire because they could get hurt. That logic is really, really flawed.


If we are gonna get a bargain on a 5-7 year contract, then I am all for it, but you're saying that it's flawed not to negotiate until the off season before a player's last year of their contract? Steelers have done pretty well by sticking to the no negotiation before the last year of a contract.


No, using the fear of injury as the reason for waiting is what's flawed because a player can get hurt at any point of his career. If we're going to wait to give him an extension, fine. Just don't use a bogus excuse like fearing injury. If we give him the extension before then, fine. I honestly don't care when we get the deal done as long as it gets done. Like I said, I'm all in on investing premium cap dollars on o-line and d-line, anyway.



I think if we took the wait and see approach with Tyron Smith it would have cost us a few million a year. If we show the player(not all) that they are wanted early it might help re sign them at a team friendly deal.
_________________


Thanks to Uncle Buck on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SweetFancyMoses


Joined: 06 Mar 2017
Posts: 29
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big advantage can be that while 10mil /yr may be high in 2017, if we sign him to a long term deal, it will look very reasonable come year 3 thru 5+, when guards are signing for $12-15mil per year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 48973
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
I think it's in everyone's interest to get the Martin contract locked down. The Cowboys do have some leverage because they hold his rights for two more years, but there is no sense in holding his feet to the fire on it. The man walked into the NFL as an All-Pro, and is on the fast track to the ring of honor and maybe even the HOF. Pay the man what he deserves.


Disagree. A cheaper contract is an enormous edge to teams drafting well. No smart team pays early unless they have too. And its not like Martin is broke, he got a pretty decent rookie deal.
_________________


Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group