You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Peyton Manning was "ALMOST A JET"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetfuel

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Peyton Manning was "ALMOST A JET" Reply with quote

Here is some of the article

Parcells studied every throw Manning made as a junior at Tennessee. Archie Manning called him twice before Peyton announced on March 5, 1997, that he would be returning to school. He was calling on behalf of Peyton, who wanted assurances from Parcells he would take him if he came out. He wanted to play for Parcells, he wanted to play for the Jets, he wanted to play in New York, but he didn’t want to declare for the draft and then be concerned that Parcells would trade the pick.

Parcells' reasoning seems to shift the blame over to the NFL's higher powers at the time:

“We were being threatened pretty strongly by the powers that be,” Parcells said. “They were watching the Jets. They were watching us like hawks. But hey, that’s the way it is.”

20 years later, it's nearly impossible to discern the truth from legend, but whatever the case may be, it was a massively pivotal moment for two NFL franchises. One ended up with the greatest statistical quarterback of all-time while the other was left with nothing more than a schadenfreude-filled draft montage on YouTube as a parting gift. Such is life I guess.

Man this sucks. Bill Parcells as the coach/GM with Manning
Bianconero

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, yeah I read this a couple of years ago

Meep

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of what if's can be said over the last few decades for us.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another sad story about this franchise. It's cool, either Hack will show up or we get our guy next year.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Rich51

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also heard of the alleged conversation between Archie Manning and Parcels. Even discounting that, we got fleeced in that draft trading the number 1 pick for 6 and a 3rd, 4th and 7th rounder. Than trading 6 for 8 and a 4th rounder. Basically we missed out on 2 HOF OTs in Pace (1st) and Walter Jones (6th) for Farrior and a bunch of scrubs. I guess Parcels was more partial to a 32 year old Jumbo Elliot than taking another OT
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
A lot of what if's can be said over the last few decades for us.

NFL higher ups pressure Jets to hide pick and force best QB of all time to return to school. Sure is fun when the system kicks you in the balls.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah weve heard this a million times no sense on dwelling, guys career is over, we still don't have a QB or a championship since nam.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
JetFanSince85

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were rumors about that Drew Bledsoe advised Manning not to come out and play for Parcells.
MP

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich51 wrote:
I also heard of the alleged conversation between Archie Manning and Parcels. Even discounting that, we got fleeced in that draft trading the number 1 pick for 6 and a 3rd, 4th and 7th rounder. Than trading 6 for 8 and a 4th rounder. Basically we missed out on 2 HOF OTs in Pace (1st) and Walter Jones (6th) for Farrior and a bunch of scrubs. I guess Parcels was more partial to a 32 year old Jumbo Elliot than taking another OT

I almost managed to block out that draft, it all came rushing back... It's sad that our best pick in that draft was our seventh round pick Jason Ferguson. Farrior literally had one year for us... ehhh. Good times.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP wrote:
Rich51 wrote:

I almost managed to block out that draft, it all came rushing back... It's sad that our best pick in that draft was our seventh round pick Jason Ferguson. Farrior literally had one year for us... ehhh. Good times.

Lol sorry about that. On the bright side we went from 1-15 to 9-7, sort of proving things can turn around quickly with good coaching.
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich51 wrote:
MP wrote:
Rich51 wrote:

Lol sorry about that. On the bright side we went from 1-15 to 9-7, sort of proving things can turn around quickly with good coaching.

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath for us this year then
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading the 2014 autobiography of Parcells published in 2014. It's a great book, btw. I quickly went through the Jet's portion first when I got my hands on it.

Parcells didn't relay any guarantees about Manning in speaking to his father, but he says he likely would have drafted him. He viewed him as a future Pro Bowler, and told Archie that. The salary cap and the picks the Jets had to send to NE as compensation for Parcells seems to have weighed heavily on the decision, which is why the Jets traded down and left Orlando Pace on the board.

Manning probably would have sat behind Testeverde in 1997-98 anyway. What breaks your heart is, he might have saved the 1999 season when Vinny went down, at least enough to convince Belichick to stay on with the Jets rather than head to NE.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harris Smith wrote:
I'm currently reading the 2014 autobiography of Parcells published in 2014. It's a great book, btw. I quickly went through the Jet's portion first when I got my hands on it.

Parcells didn't relay any guarantees about Manning in speaking to his father, but he says he likely would have drafted him. He viewed him as a future Pro Bowler, and told Archie that. The salary cap and the picks the Jets had to send to NE as compensation for Parcells seems to have weighed heavily on the decision, which is why the Jets traded down and left Orlando Pace on the board.

Manning probably would have sat behind Testeverde in 1997-98 anyway. What breaks your heart is, he might have saved the 1999 season when Vinny went down, at least enough to convince Belichick to stay on with the Jets rather than head to NE.

If I remember correctly, didn't Belichick leave because he was supposed to be our coach but then we went after Parcells? I was pretty certain he screwed us because we initially screwed him. He played good soldier while he was here and then when we finally gave him the reigns he flipped us off and left.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
Harris Smith wrote:

If I remember correctly, didn't Belichick leave because he was supposed to be our coach but then we went after Parcells? I was pretty certain he screwed us because we initially screwed him. He played good soldier while he was here and then when we finally gave him the reigns he flipped us off and left.

No. It was a ruse by the Jets because NE was refusing to release Parcells. The Jets were prepared to let BB coach out the year until Parcells was free if necessary. The plan was for him to take over after Parcells moved on.

BB didn't want to work for Woody, and the Jets were going to be in salary cap hell in a year or two after going for it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: