Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

State of the AFC West
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17060
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: State of the AFC West Reply with quote

With rosters around the league almost set for the 2017 season, here's a thread to breakdown our own division position by position heading into training camp.

First thing first, the QBs.


QBs

Chiefs: Alex Smith/Pat Mahomes(R)/Tyler Bray/Joel Stave

Alex Smith is a solid QB but it looks like he'll never get past game manager status. With the roster around him, it's enough to win a lot of games but not enough to win in the playoffs. The Chiefs clearly know it as they traded up to try to upgrade with Mahomes in this year's draft. He probably won't play this year (unless Smith is injured) so we won't have to worry about him until 2018. After them, it's a couple of players who haven't thrown a pass in the NFL.

Raiders: Derek Carr/Connor Cook/E.J Manuel

Carr is one of the best young QBs in the NFL and was in the MVP discussion before his season ending injury. He's fully healed and ready to roll. Cook didn't show much when he was forced into action last season but he was in a tough situation going up against 2 very good Ds. Manuel is a 1st round bust but he has some starting experience.

Broncos: Trevor Siemian/Paxton Lynch/Chad Kelly(R)/Kyle Sloter(R)

The situation isn't quite as clear in Denver. Siemian ended up starting most of last season and was ok. But they drafted Lynch in the 1st round in 2016 so he obviously will be given a chance to become their starter. My guess is it will happen this summer. They have 2 rookies behind them.

Chargers: Philip Rivers/Kellen Clemens/Mike Bercovici/Eli Jenkins(R)

Rivers is still one of the best QBs in the league. He's nearing the end but probably has 3/4 good years left. He has started every game since 2006 so Clemens is just there to hold the clipboard. Their 3rd and 4th QBs have no NFL experience.

Ranking:
1 - Raiders
2 - Chargers
3 - Chiefs
4 - Broncos
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 5229
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rank it like this:

1a) Raiders
1b) Chiefs
3) Broncos
4) Chargers

For 2018 though, I think the Raiders and Chargers will both progress while the Cheifs and Broncos regress.

1) Raiders
2) Chargers
3) Chiefs
4) Broncos
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17060
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
I would rank it like this:

1a) Raiders
1b) Chiefs
3) Broncos
4) Chargers

For 2018 though, I think the Raiders and Chargers will both progress while the Cheifs and Broncos regress.

1) Raiders
2) Chargers
3) Chiefs
4) Broncos


For the QBs? Because that's what the ranking i posted was about.
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17060
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB/FB

Chiefs: Spencer Ware/Charcandrick West/Kareem Hunt(R)/C.J Spiller/Devine Redding(R)/Anthony Sherman(FB)

Jamaal Charles is gone but he hadn't been much of a factor since 2014 anyway. Spencer Ware should be the lead back once again. He's unspectacular but he produces. Hunt and West will compete for the backup spot and i'd expect Hunt to get it. Spiller's career seems over, i don't think he makes the team. Sherman is just a blocker but a good one.

Raiders: Marshawn Lynch/Jalen Richard/DeAndre Washington/Elijah Hood(R)/Taiwan Jones/Jamize Olawale(FB)

It's hard to tell how effective Lynch will be coming off a year out of football. He's supposed to be the Raiders starter with Richard and Washington as role players behind him. Hood could be groomed to take over for Lynch in the future. Jones is a STer and his spot seems far from safe. Olawale is a versatile player.

Broncos: C.J Anderson/Jamaal Charles/Devontae Booker/Juwan Thompson/De'Angelo Henderson(R)/Bernard Pierce/Andy Janovich(FB)

Anderson missed half the season in 2016 but he's back now and will reportedly compete with Charles and Booker for the starting job. There's no way Charles wins it, imo. Like said before, he hasn't done much since 2014. Booker wasn't impressive in his rookie season so Anderson should be the favorite. They also drafted Henderson who's more of a change of pace. Janovich looked good as a rookie.

Chargers: Melvin Gordon/Andre Williams/Branden Oliver/Kenjon Barner/Kenneth Farrow/Austin Ekeler(R)/Derek Watt(FB)

Gordon is the lead back in LA and that's not about to change. He was much better in his 2nd season and the 3rd should be even better with an improved Oline. The depth is a bit questionable. Williams couldn't cut it in NY, Oliver is a change of pace coming off injury and Barner is more of a STer.


RBs Ranking:


It's really close!

1 - Chargers
2 - Raiders
3 - Chiefs
4 - Broncos

Imo, Gordon is the best RB in the division which gives the Chargers the top spot. If Lynch is back to his 2014 form, it's the Raiders. The Chiefs and Broncos aren't far behind.
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 5229
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
I would rank it like this:

1a) Raiders
1b) Chiefs
3) Broncos
4) Chargers

For 2018 though, I think the Raiders and Chargers will both progress while the Cheifs and Broncos regress.

1) Raiders
2) Chargers
3) Chiefs
4) Broncos


For the QBs? Because that's what the ranking i posted was about.


Oh my bad, thought you were talking about QBs and then ranking teams after.

QB Rankings I agree with fully. Would put Raiders as 1a and Chargers as 1b though instead of 1-2.

Running Back Rankings I definitely agree with as well. I would just swap Kansas City and Denver. Denver's trio of Anderson, Booker, and Charles has a ton of potential. Chiefs trio of Running Backs is pretty subpar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17060
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:

QB Rankings I agree with fully. Would put Raiders as 1a and Chargers as 1b though instead of 1-2.

Running Back Rankings I definitely agree with as well. I would just swap Kansas City and Denver. Denver's trio of Anderson, Booker, and Charles has a ton of potential. Chiefs trio of Running Backs is pretty subpar.


Both make sense.

I don't think Charles has much left though.
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverNBlackFan


Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 7942
Location: R.I.P Al Davis 1929-2011
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Mahomes as a prospect very much. Pretty bummed that KC got him and I will have to dislike him. But he really couldn't of gone to a much better situation with Reid and Alex Smith. Andy Reid is one of the better QB gurus in the league, and if anyone can coach up and train a raw wild prospect like Patty M, it's him. We won't have to worry about him for a couple years though,hopefully. In the meantime, we can focus on containing Alex Smith, who owns our souls.

As far as the Qbs in the division now, Rivers is still my #1. I feel like Rivers does more for the Chargers then DC does for us. I also need to see DC play well against good defenses. He seems to shrivel up and play timid against the likes of KC, and Denver etc. So until I see DC win a tough game like that on his arm, I'm going to hold off on crowning him like everyone has already. I need to see it.
_________________
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I'm beside myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SilverNBlackFan


Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 7942
Location: R.I.P Al Davis 1929-2011
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the AFC West is probably the weakest RB group in the league.

Gordon is hands down the best right now out the bunch, but when I watch him play I don't feel like he's some uber talent that will be a nightmare for us for the next 5+ years. I think he's good.

Spencer Ware and West suck. CJ Anderson and Jamal Charles can't stay healthy. And the little I saw of Devantae Booker, I was underwhelmed.

Noone knows what to expect from Lynch. I think it's far fetched to expect anything resembling his 2014 with Sea and wishful thinking. I think most people should temper their expectations. If he gave us a similar season to what Latavius gave us last year, I'll be content. 800-900 yards, low 4 point average per carry, double digit TDs, a couple hundred receiving yards. What I most want from him is his leadership for the younger players who gravitate towards him and his presence and swagger he'll bring to our choir boy group of stars. I think he'll be huge for us in our home games in Oakland, where he is almost god status and will deflect negativity from the impending move.

I wouldn't be surprised if Richard emerged as the guy with the most all purpose yards out of our backfield. Kid was amazing last year in his role and has star potential as a all around threat imo.
_________________
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
I'm beside myself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rolni


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 3420
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your QB and RB rankings.

In the RB rankings we have lots of question marks tho...
Marshawn Lynch, Jamal Charles healthy and production wise.
Anderson healthy wise.
The Chargers depth wise.
Kareem Hunt could be a big surprise controbutor IMO in that offense, so there could be lots of changes in the RB rankings come October/November...
_________________
WIN LOSE OR TIE...RAIDER FAN 'TIL I DIE!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17060
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
I agree with your QB and RB rankings.

In the RB rankings we have lots of question marks tho...
Marshawn Lynch, Jamal Charles healthy and production wise.
Anderson healthy wise.
The Chargers depth wise.
Kareem Hunt could be a big surprise controbutor IMO in that offense, so there could be lots of changes in the RB rankings come October/November...


Yes, it's very close between the 4 teams. The expected starters (Ware, Anderson, Gordon and Lynch) are basically at the same level. Lynch has done a lot more in his career and been a better player but the year off makes it impossible to figure out the kind of player he's going to be in 2017. The depth throughout the division is rookies or 2nd year players for the most part. It's hard to predict at this point.
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17060
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4617/jamaal-charles

Quote:
9 News Denver's Mike Klis puts Jamaal Charles' chances of making the Broncos' 53-man roster at "50-50."
Charles signed a low-guarantee, one-year, incentive-laden deal with Denver, so this absolutely makes sense. Charles is coming off multiple knee surgeries and setbacks and turns 31 later this year. If he can prove he's healthy, which is a big "if," then Charles won't have a problem cracking the Week 1 roster, but Denver has plenty of backfield options with C.J. Anderson coming back to health, Devontae Booker entering Year 2, and the selection of rookie De'Angelo Henderson.

_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17060
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRs


Chiefs: Jeremy Maclin/Tyreek Hill/Chris Conley/Jehu Chesson(R)/Albert Wilson/De'Anthony Thomas/Demarcus Robinson/Jamari Staples(R)/Seantavius Jones/Gehrig Dieter(R)/Marcus Kemp(R)/Alonzo Moore(R)/Tony Stevens(R)


This is basically the same receiving corps as last year with the exception of the rookie Jehu Chesson. Hill had a great rookie season in 2016 but he's more of a gadget player than a true WR. He's a threat in every phase though. Maclin had the worst season in his career and there was talk he could be released this offseason. It seems his roster spot is safe now. Conley is very average and it wouldn't be surprising if Chesson takes his spot on the depth chart soon. Wilson is ok depth. Thomas could lose his roster spot with Hill being their main returner now.

Raiders: Amari Cooper/Michael Crabtree/Seth Roberts/Cordarrelle Patterson/Johnny Holton/Jaydon Mickens/K.J Brent/Ishmael Zamora(R)/Keon Hatcher(R)/Isaac Whitney(R)


Cooper and Crabtree are one of the best WR duo in the league. They were the best in the first half of the season but their production took a nose dive in the 2nd half. The hope is Downing will be able to adjust to keep them productive throughout the year. Patterson is replacing Holmes on the depth chart and it clearly looks like an upgrade. Patterson and Roberts will compete for the 3rd WR spot in TC. The rest of the depth is unproven.

Broncos: Demaryius Thomas/Emmanuel Sanders/Carlos Henderson(R)/Bennie Fowler/Jordan Taylor/Cody Latimer/Isaiah McKenzie(R)/Kalif Raymond/Marlon Brown/Hunter Sharp/Anthony Nash(R)


The Broncos have one of the best WR duo as well, Thomas and Sanders. They produced basically at the same level as the Raiders' top 2 WRs while playing with average at best QBs. They didn't get much from their depth so they added Carlos Henderson in the 3rd round. Those 3 have the potential to be unstoppable real soon. They also drafted McKenzie in the 5th but his role should be limited to ST early on. Fowler, Taylor and Latimer will fight for a spot at the bottom of the depth chart.

Chargers: Keenan Allen/Mike Williams(R)/Tyrell Williams/Dontrell Inman/Travis Benjamin/Isaiah Burse/Geremy Davis/Artavis Scott(R)/Da'Ron Brown/Jamaal Jones(R)/Andre Patton(R)/Mitchell Paige(R)


On paper, this is the deepest corps in the division. Tyrell Williams and Inman had to step in as starters last season and they produced at a level close to the Raiders and Broncos' duos. But they're not even scheduled to be the starters in 2017. Allen should be back and they drafted Mike Williams in the top 10. Allen has played 9 games the last 2 season though so who knows how long he'll be available. If he's healthy and Williams lives up to his draft status, watch out! By the way, they also return Travis Benjamin as their 5th WR...


WRs Ranking:


1 - Broncos
2 - Chargers
3 - Raiders
4 - Chiefs
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rolni


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 3420
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your ranking since the Chargers group has too many questionmarks right now.
Allen's injury history, Williams being a rookie, however they could take over the #1 spot if Williams have a strong rookie season and Allen come back strong. That group could be one of the deepest and best in the NFL.

It is quite scary that our group lead by the Cooper and Crabs duo is just the 3rd best unit in the division, but this is the situation right now.

Cooper has to put together a full, dominant year, Crabs needs to "drop those drops" and CP has to show that he can be more than a returner, gadget player.
_________________
WIN LOSE OR TIE...RAIDER FAN 'TIL I DIE!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17060
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEs


Chiefs: Travis Kelce/Demetrius Harris/Gavin Escobar/Ross Travis/Emanuel Byrd(R)


Kelce is the best TE in the division (and maybe the best in the league) and it's not even close. Harris could be facing a suspension to start the season. Escobar hasn't done much in his career despite being a former 2nd round pick in Dallas.

Raiders: Jared Cook/Lee Smith/Clive Walford/Gabe Holmes/Cooper Helfet/Ryan O'Malley/Pharaoh Brown(R)


The Raiders got very little production from their TEs last season so they looked to upgrade by signing Jared Cook in FA. He should produce more but he's not known for his consistency either. Lee Smith is back as the blocking TE. Walford goes from starter to 3rd string and might have to compete with Gabe Holmes for that spot.

Broncos: Virgil Green/A.J Derby/Jeff Heuerman/Jake Butt(R)/Henry Krieger-Coble/Steven Scheu/Austin Traylor


Green had the opportunity to become more than a blocking TE when Julius Thomas left for Jacksonville but it didn't materialize. They traded for Derby last season and he's probably in the mix to start this year. I liked Heuerman coming out but he hasn't shown much yet. Butt won't be ready to play until october but he looks like their most talented TE. He could become a starter at some point during the season.

Chargers: Hunter Henry/Antonio Gates/Sean McGrath/Jeff Cumberland/Asante Cleveland/Sean Culkin(R)

Henry had a very good rookie season and should be their starter for a long time. Gates is still producing at 36 years old. They form a very good duo. The depth is made of blocking TEs.


TEs Rankings:


1 - Chiefs
2 - Chargers
3 - Raiders
4 - Broncos
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raidr4life


Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 8688
Location: Fresno, California
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
WRs


Chiefs: Jeremy Maclin/Tyreek Hill/Chris Conley/Jehu Chesson(R)/Albert Wilson/De'Anthony Thomas/Demarcus Robinson/Jamari Staples(R)/Seantavius Jones/Gehrig Dieter(R)/Marcus Kemp(R)/Alonzo Moore(R)/Tony Stevens(R)


This is basically the same receiving corps as last year with the exception of the rookie Jehu Chesson. Hill had a great rookie season in 2016 but he's more of a gadget player than a true WR. He's a threat in every phase though. Maclin had the worst season in his career and there was talk he could be released this offseason. It seems his roster spot is safe now. Conley is very average and it wouldn't be surprising if Chesson takes his spot on the depth chart soon. Wilson is ok depth. Thomas could lose his roster spot with Hill being their main returner now.

Raiders: Amari Cooper/Michael Crabtree/Seth Roberts/Cordarrelle Patterson/Johnny Holton/Jaydon Mickens/K.J Brent/Ishmael Zamora(R)/Keon Hatcher(R)/Isaac Whitney(R)


Cooper and Crabtree are one of the best WR duo in the league. They were the best in the first half of the season but their production took a nose dive in the 2nd half. The hope is Downing will be able to adjust to keep them productive throughout the year. Patterson is replacing Holmes on the depth chart and it clearly looks like an upgrade. Patterson and Roberts will compete for the 3rd WR spot in TC. The rest of the depth is unproven.

Broncos: Demaryius Thomas/Emmanuel Sanders/Carlos Henderson(R)/Bennie Fowler/Jordan Taylor/Cody Latimer/Isaiah McKenzie(R)/Kalif Raymond/Marlon Brown/Hunter Sharp/Anthony Nash(R)


The Broncos have one of the best WR duo as well, Thomas and Sanders. They produced basically at the same level as the Raiders' top 2 WRs while playing with average at best QBs. They didn't get much from their depth so they added Carlos Henderson in the 3rd round. Those 3 have the potential to be unstoppable real soon. They also drafted McKenzie in the 5th but his role should be limited to ST early on. Fowler, Taylor and Latimer will fight for a spot at the bottom of the depth chart.

Chargers: Keenan Allen/Mike Williams(R)/Tyrell Williams/Dontrell Inman/Travis Benjamin/Isaiah Burse/Geremy Davis/Artavis Scott(R)/Da'Ron Brown/Jamaal Jones(R)/Andre Patton(R)/Mitchell Paige(R)


On paper, this is the deepest corps in the division. Tyrell Williams and Inman had to step in as starters last season and they produced at a level close to the Raiders and Broncos' duos. But they're not even scheduled to be the starters in 2017. Allen should be back and they drafted Mike Williams in the top 10. Allen has played 9 games the last 2 season though so who knows how long he'll be available. If he's healthy and Williams lives up to his draft status, watch out! By the way, they also return Travis Benjamin as their 5th WR...


WRs Ranking:


1 - Broncos
2 - Chargers
3 - Raiders
4 - Chiefs
1.Raiders
2. Chargers
3. Broncos
4. Chiefs

Chargers Mike Williams hasn't proven anything yet. Broncos Wr's are ineffective because of QB situation.
_________________
Homey don't play that!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group