Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mini Camp Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Mini Camp Thread Reply with quote

Rookie mini camp:

@Redskins
Quote:
Fabian Moreau & Montae Nicholson will rehab & "get mental reps" as they recover from injury. Gruden hopes for a return by training camp.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/football-insider/wp/2017/05/13/redskins-rookie-minicamp-observations-from-saturdays-practice/

Quote:
Some notes and observations from Saturday’s sessions.

Allen impressed his coaches this weekend with his understanding of the game and technique.

The 6-foot-3, 286-pound Alabama star displayed good footwork and use of his hands during position and team drills. Defensive line coach Jim Tomsula gave Allen a lot of individual attention on how to improve his technique but seemed pleased with the way Allen worked to apply the lessons by making adjustments on the fly.

It’ll be interesting to see how Allen performs once he gets on the field with his veteran teammates on the coming weeks.

Anderson’s size and strength is impressive. He is powerfully built at 6-2 and 260-plus pounds. Gruden said he’s a little heavy right now, but that’s to be expected considering he hasn’t played football since the end of his college season. Gruden didn’t want to speculate when asked about an ideal weight for Anderson.

The linebacker will get together with strength coach Chad Englehart and map out a plan. But Gruden said Anderson isn’t “far away at all. And the kind of guy that he is, he’ll work his tail off and get in shape.”

Anderson moved all over the place during Saturday’s practice. He lined up at left outside linebacker — the spot usually manned by Ryan Kerrigan — and right outside linebacker, where he likely will vie with Preston Smith, Junior Galette and Trent Murphy for the starting job.

Anderson said he felt comfortable at either spot and just wants to prove his versatility. He’s looking forward to next week when he’ll start training with the team’s veterans. He thinks this is an “ideal situation” for him to come in where he can learn from well-established guys like Kerrigan and compete with other young players like Smith and Murphy.

Another player drawing praise from Gruden: seventh-rounder Josh Holsey.

The defensive back took reps both at cornerback and nickelback. He likely will start out his career on the inside, but coaches have him learning both positions for now. Gruden liked what he saw from the Auburn product during one-on-one drills Friday and challenged Holsey to carry that over into team drills. Holsey displayed good quickness and instincts, getting out of breaks quickly to contest passes. On Sunday, the 5-10, 190-pounder stood out in particular when he broke on the ball on an out route and swatted the pass away along the sideline. Gruden was there to smack Holsey on the helmet right after the play. The cornerback said Gruden joked that he should’ve intercepted the ball. Holsey was encouraged by his start but can’t wait to mix it up with the veterans and try to learn everything he can from them. He said he’s going to “eat what they eat, eat when they eat, sleep when they sleep,” and just try to mimic everything possible.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2017/5/12/15630304/redskins-invite-37-players-to-rookie-mini-camp-nfl-udfa

Key guy to watch out of this group is Tarean Folston, RB from Norte Dame.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/tarean-folston?id=2558767

Quote:
Strengths

Well built with the frame to handle physical play of the NFL. Good athlete with fluid hips and desired foot quickness. Has ability to make sudden cuts downhill from outside zone. Has the base to balance through contact, break tackles and spin into additional yardage. Will drop his shoulder and bring some pop behind his pads when he's ready to finish. Has experience in a variety of run schemes. Hands are soft and reliable in passing game. Used on hitches, swing passes and slip screens.

Folston has the size and athleticism for the NFL game and he appears to have the hands to be considered for a role as a third-down option. Folston's vision isn't great and while he can create for himself with some power, he'll primarily get what is blocked for him. If he shows he is willing to get some tackles on special teams early in his career, he might find his way onto a depth chart since he should be a more confident runner in Year 2 of his ACL recovery.

He had a good sophomore year at Norte Dame but then tore his ACL his junior year and wasn't quite right his senior year, but like Nick Marshall if he's healthy and confident in his knee he could prove to be a good find. Like Marshall, I doubt Folston will make 53 man roster but if these guys can stick on the practice squad for us, they could develop into something in a year or two.

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/05/13/washington-redskins-players-to-watch-rookie-minicamp/amp/6/

Quote:
Ondre Pipkins, NT

Remember when head coach Jay Gruden said Tomsula promised him he’d find a nose tackle? Well, in Texas Tech defensive tackle Ondre Pipkins, an undrafted free agent, Tomsula may have found his guy. It isn’t without risk, of course. But how much risk is there in an undrafted free agent with loads of talent? The biggest problem with Pipkins is his health. And it is a major problem.

Pipkins began his college career at Michigan as a five-star prospect. However, he tore an ACL which cost him most of one season, while a neck injury compromised another season. Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh wanted Pipkins to retire from football (per ESPN), which led to him transferring to Texas Tech for his final season of eligibility.

Pipkins played his final season for the Red Raiders and likely went undrafted due to the medical concerns. For Washington, it’s a low-risk, possibly high-reward signing. The Redskins won’t need a true nose tackle expect for between 15-20 snaps per game. Can Pipkins give the Redskins that? Pipkins is probably Washington’s best bet for an undrafted rookie free agent to the make the team in 2017.
I agree with the bolded, although it's still a long shot he makes the team. I think it's most likey that McGee or Taylor are our starting NT and Ioannidis makes the team as well. Pipkins I have slated as a practice squad player this year. Depending on what Taylor and Ioannidis do this year, Pipkins may or may not have a shot at being promoted to the 53 man roster sometime during the season or next year.

CSN Redskins (@CSNRedskins)
5/13/17, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Fourth-round pick Samaje Perine tells @JPFinlayCSN, "Wherever they need me, I'm gonna be there." bit.ly/2pwwpnx

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/video/redskins-rookie-samaje-perine-i-want-make-my-mark-wherever-i-can?utm_content=buffer11543&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon May 15, 2017 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marcus21

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have been seeing from voulunetry workouts, Phil Taylor is a full go in the drills. Obviously I have no idea how long he will hold up, but if he can stay healthy, I think he will start the season as our NT. The dude looks massive in the pictures on redskins.com . It would be cool if Pipkins could make the PS. Can't have to many fat boys around!!

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
From what I have been seeing from voulunetry workouts, Phil Taylor is a full go in the drills. Obviously I have no idea how long he will hold up, but if he can stay healthy, I think he will start the season as our NT. The dude looks massive in the pictures on redskins.com . It would be cool if Pipkins could make the PS. Can't have to many fat boys around!!
I sure hope so. I remember wanting to draft Phil Taylor in the 2011 draft. He was the NT we needed then, we could have played Cofield at end. Oh well, I hope he holds up now.

I think Pipkins makes the practice squad also.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While the Redskins' rookie minicamp officially started on Friday, today was the first day that members of the media got a first look at this year's group of rookies. Check out some of the videos, courtesy of CSN Redskins Insider JP Finlay:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/heres-your-first-look-redskins-rookie-minicamp?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo&yptr=yahoo%3Fsrc%3Drss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ripsean21

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will see what these guys can do. There's a lot of bright players in this haul.

Thanks Mike23md for the sig!!!
Adopt a Redskin D Jax!!
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nflnetwork
Quote:
Not McCaffrey.
Not Fournette.

@LT_21 is high on another rookie RB: "A little bit like Ezekiel Elliott."
▶️ on.nfl.com/QJ5sUX

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000807907/LT-Samaje-Perine-could-be-top-five-rusher-in-2017?campaign=tw-nn-Total+Access+NFLN-Video-sf77966000-sf77966000&utm_source=Direct

Redskins rookie minicamp highlights

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000808710/Washington-Redskins-rookie-minicamp-highlights

Gruden on Ryan Anderson

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000808681/Gruden-says-specific-skill-shining-through-early-for-Ryan-Anderson

turtle28

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.redskins.com/s/30856/376?itemUri=1963368202/152551310141486012511713153012

Pictures from the Redskins offseason workouts

TheGreeK1973

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a long way to go and really these rookies will need to show what they have against the pros in the OTAs and first mini camp. But I am optimistic with the coaching staff and who we have now.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGreeK1973 wrote:
Got a long way to go and really these rookies will need to show what they have against the pros in the OTAs and first mini camp. But I am optimistic with the coaching staff and who we have now.
Yeah, I liked the drills they showed Tomsula doing with the DL, it looked tough and I don't think I had seen a DL being asked to go back and forth really fast on the bags like that. Looked good.

HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course all eyes were on first round pick Jonathan Allen throughout the day. While he didn't necessarily "wow" during drills, he displayed much of what made him a first round pick. Allen has violent hands and good feet. Those traits are what made his career at Alabama successful and should help him succeed in the NFL. I did notice that Jim Tomsula was constantly in Allen's ear. Almost every snap in every drill, Tomsula had teaching tips for the rookie defensive lineman. That's not to say Allen wasn't doing things correctly. Tomsula preaches technique and wants Allen to work on his pad level. I thought it was interesting to hear Tomsula tell Allen several times to keep his eyes low when coming off the snap. That's really good advice because keeping your eyes low forces you to maintain low pad level. Overall, Allen is as-advertised and should benefit from Tomsula's tutelage.

While everyone was interested to watch Jonathan Allen, I couldn't keep my eyes off college free agent Ondre Pipkins. The former Texas Tech defensive lineman came into camp appearing to be in very good shape. I've seen him listed anywhere from 315 lbs to 330 lbs. I'd say he's closer to the former but is still very much a load. In one-on-ones, Pipkins created push just about every snap. There was one snap in particular where Pipkins lined up against fellow UDFA Tyler Catalina, who was playing left guard, and just totally put the former Georgia offensive lineman on his back. Tomsula loved the play but had to correct Pipkins because he ran laterally instead of uphill after placing Catalina on his back. Either way, it was an impressive snap. Pipkins continued to shine in team drills where he again created push and pass rush several times. I was impressed with his athleticism. I think people have been quick to label him a nose tackle, which he absolutely can play. However, he has the ability to also create pass rush from the three-technique.

Speaking of Catalina, other than his snap against Pipkins, he too was impressive at the left guard position. He's a name to remember. The team seems to really like him. In fact, Catalina was the last offensive lineman on-the-field after practice receiving additional tips from OL coach Bill Callahan, among others.

Read more at link: http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1778067-morning-manny-rookie-nose-tackle-solution

I'm making sure I don't get too hyped about offseason standouts this year. Breeland broke my heart too much last year. Crying or Very sad
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
Quote:
Of course all eyes were on first round pick Jonathan Allen throughout the day. While he didn't necessarily "wow" during drills, he displayed much of what made him a first round pick. Allen has violent hands and good feet. Those traits are what made his career at Alabama successful and should help him succeed in the NFL. I did notice that Jim Tomsula was constantly in Allen's ear. Almost every snap in every drill, Tomsula had teaching tips for the rookie defensive lineman. That's not to say Allen wasn't doing things correctly. Tomsula preaches technique and wants Allen to work on his pad level. I thought it was interesting to hear Tomsula tell Allen several times to keep his eyes low when coming off the snap. That's really good advice because keeping your eyes low forces you to maintain low pad level. Overall, Allen is as-advertised and should benefit from Tomsula's tutelage.

While everyone was interested to watch Jonathan Allen, I couldn't keep my eyes off college free agent Ondre Pipkins. The former Texas Tech defensive lineman came into camp appearing to be in very good shape. I've seen him listed anywhere from 315 lbs to 330 lbs. I'd say he's closer to the former but is still very much a load. In one-on-ones, Pipkins created push just about every snap. There was one snap in particular where Pipkins lined up against fellow UDFA Tyler Catalina, who was playing left guard, and just totally put the former Georgia offensive lineman on his back. Tomsula loved the play but had to correct Pipkins because he ran laterally instead of uphill after placing Catalina on his back. Either way, it was an impressive snap. Pipkins continued to shine in team drills where he again created push and pass rush several times. I was impressed with his athleticism. I think people have been quick to label him a nose tackle, which he absolutely can play. However, he has the ability to also create pass rush from the three-technique.

Speaking of Catalina, other than his snap against Pipkins, he too was impressive at the left guard position. He's a name to remember. The team seems to really like him. In fact, Catalina was the last offensive lineman on-the-field after practice receiving additional tips from OL coach Bill Callahan, among others.

Read more at link: http://www.scout.com/nfl/redskins/story/1778067-morning-manny-rookie-nose-tackle-solution

I'm making sure I don't get too hyped about offseason standouts this year. Breeland broke my heart too much last year. Crying or Very sad
Yeah, I like what I'm hearing about these young guys who are playing. Still a long way to go, but Allen & Anderson have gotten good reviews as well as Perine, Holsey and Pipkins.

Good news about Catalina also - except for the Pipkins play.

turtle28

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington signs two tryout guys, cuts Tharold Simon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/15/washington-signs-two-tryout-guys-cuts-tharold-simon/ via @ProFootballTalk‬

Well... Tharold Simon didn't last long! Laughing

That tells me they really liked what they saw out of Holsey during the rookie minicamp, and I heard he impressed from several different beat reporters. John Keim and others said he looked athletic and active out there. At the worst Holsey seems destine to be a special teams stand out, but I heard they were going to try him out at nickle.

Quote:
The veteran cornerback was released by Washington today, as part of a flurry of news. They also announced they had signed two tryout players (tight end Manasseh Garner and cornerback Tevin Homer), and waived linebacker Khairi Fortt and tight end Wes Saxton.

Simon was signed by Washington in January, after a brief stop in Arizona last year.

RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomsula seems like a crusty old drill sergeant ! Sure hope Manusky and he can lift this new D to at least mid pack !
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/16/bob-marleys-grandson-lands-a-roster-spot-in-washington/?cid=yahoo

Quote:
The Redskins announced that they signed Nico Marley to their 90-man roster on Tuesday. There was no corresponding roster move.

DCRED

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
I sure hope so. I remember wanting to draft Phil Taylor in the 2011 draft. He was the NT we needed then, we could have played Cofield at end. Oh well, I hope he holds up now.

I think Pipkins makes the practice squad also.

I actually remember how much you loved Phil Taylor and pushed for him in so many threads.
And unfortunately most here have been arguing about a true NT since the 34
I hope we draft (next year) or find (this year!) a Legit NT OR perhaps even Tomsula schemes up something that keeps Allen freed up. Have to think that would be easier with a Fatboy in the middle eating double-teams.
And Pipkins stays on the PS and never has to play because we found our NT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: