Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brownie Mans Access to Berea
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brownie man

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Brownie Mans Access to Berea Reply with quote

Alright you guys I've got a treat for you. Some aren't going to believe what happened to me yesterday, but I do have pictures to prove it.

So my uncle is a season ticket holder and he won the opportunity for a film session with Andrew Berry and a tour around the Browns facility in Berea.

My cousin his son (who is a die hard Rams fan anyway) had to work so I was able to go.

There are so many things I could talk about so I'm going to try my best to describe the environment and then the film session.

Enviroment

1. As soon as you step in the facility the energy is pretty electric. Everyone is extremely positive maybe it was the high of being right after the draft, but everyone seems to be behind the vision right now and is super excited to be around building the team. From the sales guys to the women running errands, to Andrew himself the energy is impressive.

2. Everyone loves the FO staff especially Sashi and Hue. Multiple people including Andrew said Sashi has been the best boss they've ever had. They're all behind his vision I think Sashi and company aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

3. The facility itself is top notch. Very open, everyone sees everyone else on a daily basis. A lot of open communication. Jim Brown even has his own office there that he uses during the season and his own conference room. It kinda looks like a startup structure which is pretty awesome.

4. Rookies were coming in so the energy was pretty high for that. I didn't see any I knew, but everyone in the facility was really excited for the draft class. Multiple people, we talked to mentioned how they wanted Malik Hooker, but understood the vision for the rebuild getting a first rounder next year and they think Houston is gonna suck. They also believed G.Williams has a clear plan for Peppers. Andrew kinda downplayed Hooker though, but he doesn't flinch so I couldn't get a good grasp of what our FO really thought.

5. Andrew broke down Pauly' D's role so I understand it kinda lol. He's basically in charge of everything about player development. Which is kinda why they like young players so much. They want to get guys in their program to develop them they're own way. Our FO doesn't want finished products they want the most talented players to mold. Think MLB style drafting a guy out of HS then taking him step by step to the pros. Its a little different because you can't do that in the NFL but the same types of principles of offseason development are really pushed. Which is why we probably focus on offseason development more than any other team in the league, and this will be the first full offseason where they can actually be put in motion.

Based on that I think they're going to draft 4 types of players

First round/ second round players
1.Instant Starters who will develop by playing. Ex Corey, Myles, Ogbah, Peppers, Njocku

Mid Round players
2. Red Shirt guys. Players with alot of potential, but clearly need time. EX Larry O, Shon Coleman, all of the receivers from last year not named Corey, Roderick, Seth Devale.

Mid to late round
3. Extremely productive players who have lower ceiling, but clearly defined roles where high ceilings aren't needed. Roster fillers. EX. Joe Schobert, Carl Nassib, Spencer Drango, Dayes, Zane Gonzalez, Cody, Jordan Payton

Anywhere after the first round
4. Guys who fall for whatever reason who offer an extreme amount of value at the spot they're taken out if they pan out. Ex. Kizer, Brantley, Scooby, Kinnred

Bonus: Everyone in the facility knows that the Media has no clue of what is going on inside the building. Mary Kay, Tony, and others aren't cared for at all.

I'll end with explaining the environment like this. I was talking with one of the guys about the previous regimes and we brought up Joe Banner. He basically said it like this.

"When Joe was here he had to give off the impression that he was the smartest guy in the room. With these guys Sashi, Andrew, and Paul they actually are the smartest guys in the room."

So that's really the environment that is forming this team

Film Session

A profoundly amazing experience you guys might get jealous, but it was actually held in the draft room the room you see on ESPN when we make the pick lol. I couldn't believe it haha still crazy to even believe this actually happened.

Let me say a little about Andrew Berry.

That is one of the sharpest individuals I've ever met. He's going to run an NFL team on day. Idk how Sashi got hip to this guy, but he found a absolute diamond with Andrew. He's much smarter than he lets you think he is, but when you talk to him he knows exactly what to say and how to say it. He's lethal man.

So a couple notes. I'll separate them from the prospects we watched, players we talked about currently on the roster, and then the coaching staff.

So to start we sit down and he basically ask us how we want film session to go. I'm totally psyched my uncle doesn't even know what he's getting into lol, but it was pretty much me picking Andrew's brain.

Jabril Peppers

The first player I asked about it Jabril Peppers. I wanted to know how what made them feel comfortable in drafting him from a skill-set perspective because I personally question his range. He basically broke it down like this. Not all the teams are going to look at Jabril the same. In a more traditional defense hes going to bring in more questions and more risk. However with G Williams defense they've got a definitve plan for him.(I believe they plan on having this coaching staff together for a long time.)

The ideal role for Peppers he said is Roman Harper from 2007 with New Orleans.

Roman that year had 90 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 interceptions, and 2 forced fumbles.

They think Peppers can be even better. They're not going to use him as a traditional safety they see him as a true chess piece, they don't expect him to be a ball hawk at all, but they do think because of his punt return fielding ability he can grow in that area because he clearly has shown the ability to track the ball.

Theyre also really excited for his punt return ability, they think he was the best punt returner in this draft class, and there is no question they want him to be our returner and plan on that being the case.

Deshone Kizer

2. The second player we talked about was Deshone. A few points

* They didn't expect him to be there at 52. Getting him in the second allows them to not rush his development.

* They think he can start this year, but its going to take coaching, theyre not going to force it, but if he can prove it they have no problem with him starting.

* They saw alot of bad football out of him, but also like I've been saying they've seem him do everything at some point so Hue's MO is going to be getting him to be more consistent. If they can get him to reach his potential everyone believes he can be really good.

We watched some of Deshone's tape. They are REALLY excited for his deep ball. Thats just not media fluff, like they really plan on taking advantage of the vertical offense. They think Deshone's arm and Corey's speed is the ideal marriage for Hue's offense. They like speed on the outside because of the type of routes Hue's offense runs. Everything is meant to attack the DB directly so they have alot of come backs, deep post, slants, and go routes. They want every route to look to same to the DB until the receiver makes that move. Our passing game is ideally made out of chunk yardage.

To make this work though they need an effective running game to get the short yardage then basically make big plays off the chunk yardage. Passing play yardage would look like

8 yards, 12 yards, 10 yards, 50 yards

They did see a lot of bad football with Deshone like they were really concerned with that, but it seems like they did a good job of looking at every part of his situation they added everything together and after that they felt comfortable at 52. Hue is really excited to coach him they think Deshone is really really bright.

Myles Garrett

So again Andrew is basically asking me what I want to discuss and I bring up Njocku, then hes like I'm surpised you haven't brought up Myles yet. So I'm like thats cool too!

Hue loves Myles, Sashi loves Myles, G Williams loves Myles. They always loved Myles everyone loves Myles. That astronaumical grade was real.

One interesting tidbit is Andrew when to the Arkansas game when Myles sprained his ankle. He was really dissappointed that he came all the way down to Arkansas to scout this guy and hes got a terrible injury. He just knew Myles was going to stay out, but when Myles decided to go back in it that just took their opinion on him to another level.

I asked to watch some 2015 tape, but he showed some of the 2016 tape against Alabama because he wanted to show Myles against Cam Robinson. They're enamored with his speed. That dudes first step is just different. He was late off the ball one play, but his first step not only made up for it, but it still surpased everyone else on the field. They think as Myles faces more 5, 7, and 9 step drops hes sack numbers are going to really go high.

They expect him to produce this year because of his speed, but he brought up guys like Vic Beasley and Dee Ford who took like time to develop, but then exploded. So they know expectations needs to be tempered for the first year. I think they're hoping for 10 sacks.

They were also really excited about his growth stopping the run. Andrew showed me his favorite clip which was a red zone running play when Myles literally took on 3 blockers for a TFL. I think the play of against 2016 Ole Miss, but I'm not sure.

They want him to get more discipled and consistent with his body positing because he'll take himself out of some plays just by how he attacks the lineman, but the fact that he'll be playing less snaps makes them believe he'll be able to be discipled more consistently with less reps.

Quick Synopsis of every pick

Myles-Future Superstar not much more to say

Peppers- Not a full time stong safety, that'll be his primary position, but hes really a chess piece to use in all William's alignments.

Njocku- Young guy who is really sharp with a great character that they really think can develop into a special player.

Deshone- Guy who needs alot of work, but if he takes to coaching nothing besides himself would stop him from starting this year.

Larry O- Gregg is really excited for him, but my Andrew's energy I expect a Shon Coleman red-shirt year.

Howard Wilson- Young guy that loves ball. Really excited for the energy he brings. I doubt he'll play much this year, but they love that they have that type of personality on our defense.

Roderick Johnson- Andrew's eyes lit up when he talked about Roderick. They think he was one of the smartest linemen if not the smartest in this class. Really long looks exactly how they want a LT to look, but will take a lot of time that's fine though we got Joe to show him. Another red shirt guy.

Caleb Brantley- They know hes got some stuff to go through, but apparently really likes ball. Interior distributor they are really excited for as long as everything checks out ok.

Zane Gonzales- Another guy when Andrew kinda stood up a little bit more. He had that look in his eyes like Zane could be our kicker for the next 10+ years.

Mattehew Daynes- Really like his personality and pass blocking ability. Good team player what you want out of your third RB.

Current players

Brock Osweiler- They never thought Brock was a throwaway. Unless they were going to instantly get a great offer for him they were always going to let him come in and compete. We discussed a few reasons on why Brock has such a bad year.

1. Brock went from one offensive scheme in Denver to a totally opposite scheme.

2. He didn't handle that transition well along with fact Bill O B is kinda crazy. That pressure lead to Brock playing some really bad ball. Andrew said he's been nothing but positive since coming in. They like he has experience and has won multiple games as a starting QB. They think he'll be able to compete and at least show experience leading a team on the field.

Isahiah Crowell-
I asked Andrew what is Hue's ideal type of running back. He said ideally Hue wants a bell cow 25+ touches a game kind of guy, but because those guys are so rare to find if he is going committee Crowell is actually Hue's ideal guy. Hue really does like Crowell. Which is kinda crazy because Drew tells me that then hours later Crowell signs his tender. Ideally Hue wants a bell cow. I'd keep an eye on running back high next year.

Duke- They like Duke the pass catcher from the slot and out the backfield. Duke should be attacking deep out of the slot more often this coming year.

Shon Coleman-They are really REALLy excited for Shon Coleman. They always expected him to redshirt his first year. Coming from his injury and the offense he was coming from they knew chances were slim he would see the field at all. He's apparently in great shape I would expect him to start the offseason as the starter.

Rashard Higgins- They really want him to be our starting slot receiver. With the routes Hue wants to run out the slot they like Higgins ability to get out of his breaks and attack through corner routes. They need more consistency out of him. He's one of the players I believe they really want to come in and take hold of his position. They also think Corey has developed into a leader within the receiving room. Again they really like Corey's speed.

Cam Erving- They understood his skill set was better suited at tackle, but they wanted to make sure he couldn't make it at center first. Now they know so they went out and got Tretter. Cam is gonna come in and compete at RT I think they like Cam as a person so they'll see what he can do. If he looks better than Shon they're fine with it but they don't expect that to be in case.

Tretter plus Kevin Zeitler- We loss games because our running game was nonexistent after the injuries. Their first priority was the Oline because ideally they want the pass game to open up the run game, but that won't happen without a somewhat decent running game. That's basically why we sucked.

Collins + Kirksey - They see the change in the NFL with teams being in the spread so much. They put a premium on athletic linebackers. Again getting back to Peppers he's really a key for challenging the current offenses. They do like Kirksey though I think they're going to give him another at least few game before they really focus on resigning him. Or at least until training camp.

G Williams defense from Horton- They really like G William's multiple defensive sets. They wanted more attitude and defensive schemes built for the modern NFL offense with the increase in spread looks. They want Greg to be here a long time.

Future needs

I want to stress this FO is REALLY REALLY REALLY energized for next year. They loved this draft, but for some reason I felt a compelling excitement from everyone for next years draft. Idk what they have under their sleeve, but the way Andrew talked the entire session it seemed like next draft is where they're going to get exactly what they want.

When I was talking about Jabril I mentioned how with a player like him would need a free safety with a lot of range to compliment him and Andrew seconded that. I thnk they really like Kai, Tyvis, Kindred or somebody because he sounded extremely confident we have a player to handle that role. I'm not sure who is going to be our if they have sites on someone for 2018.

Again Hue wants a bell cow ideally so I'd keep an eye our for running back early. It would have to be a Deshone Kizer type situation where the right guy falls at the right time which to me makes sense with what Mind was saying that they really liked Fournette. I think as long as they have Crowell they won't force it.

I hope you guys enjoyed this.

Really interesting time man it was extremely exciting and fun totally a blessing. We're headed in the right direction guys for real.

They also said if we won a Superbowl they'd expect a parade of 3plus million. Pretty crazy.[list=][/list]

I never even predicted Kizer to fail, I simply said he was an over drafted project. Now tell me that I am wrong in that regard.

^^^^
This dude is gonna look real bad

Last edited by brownie man on Thu May 11, 2017 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
candyman93

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Brownie!

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently brownie is throwing down a challenge to Mind Character lol.

"4500 words? Ha, watch this!!"

Seriously though, good stuff. Sounds like you had a good time.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, kinda cool that they mimicked my thoughts regarding Brock osweiler.
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so jealous. This sounded awesome. Thanks for the write up

Peace!!!

If you're referring to fingers on his glove, the answer is yes.
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been more jealous. Amazing. And thank you for sharing

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
CBrownsman

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like an amazing experience, I am absolutely jealous, but thanks for sharing the info with us!
MWil23

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a once in a lifetime experience, and it was a fascinating read - thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm wrong, but based on everything I've seen and read we are building a power spread offense. Philosophically it's similar to what Ohio State does offensively and defensively. We want to be able to stop spread offenses, thus the heavy influx of pass rushers and LBs who can move well in space. We will be running nickle defense. I'm expecting us to target the secondary heavily next year.

I think it's interesting Baltimore continues to build the exact opposite way. They're getting huge front 7 guys similar to what Alabama used to do.

Last edited by candyman93 on Thu May 11, 2017 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don'tchu be Lil' Bowowing us
H2ThaIzzo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDean wrote:

no, they really didn't. essentially they are saying "we aren't going to pay Brock 18 million dollars to not come in and compete". AKA, better to keep him than cut him when he gets paid anyhow.

you, on the other hand, have been slobbing on his knob like corn on the cob.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H2ThaIzzo wrote:
DizzyDean wrote:

no, they really didn't. essentially they are saying "we aren't going to pay Brock 18 million dollars to not come in and compete". AKA, better to keep him than cut him when he gets paid anyhow.

I hate to do this, but Brock has 1 legitimate excuse for his trash. I do wonder if scheme was an issue. However, I think we want to run an offense similar to what New England does than what Denver did under Kubiak. So I really question how it's gonna work here.

candyman93

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chuckled at the Houston comment. I think they will miss the playoffs. Tennessee wins the division. Oakland / Denver take a wildcard spot. Then some combination of Kansas City and Baltimore / Pittsburgh win the other wildcard spot.

DizzyDean

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
H2ThaIzzo wrote:
DizzyDean wrote:

I hate to do this, but Brock has 1 legitimate excuse for his trash. I do wonder if scheme was an issue. However, I think we want to run an offense similar to what New England does than what Denver did under Kubiak. So I really question how it's gonna work here.

It wasn't the scheme, it was the coaching and their ability to motivate the team to execute the scheme. No scheme will work if the coaches can not do their jobs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: