You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Who Starts At SS For The Cowboys?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 31447
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
the lone star wrote:
Devin Kurant wrote:
Probably Heath since they love him, but a dark horse pick for me would be Awuzie.


Yeah, I was thinking Chidobe could play some SS. Maybe even Scandrick. Or just run a lot of sets where there's 1 S (Byron Jones) and 3-4 CBs. The team will have options.

It just upsets me that the front 7 still doesn't have a legitimate LB to play with Sean Lee and Jaylon Smith (assuming he pans out). Hitchens, Wilber, Gachkar, Wilson, Nzeocha.............super meh.


Which 4-3 teams have the best 3-man linebacker groups, and how relevant are those teams in championship picture?

It's a 4-2-5 league


Pretty much. 3-3-5 too. And if you're a team like the Texans, then 5-2 could work as well.

I like hybrid defenses a lot. ATL and NEP were in the Super Bowl this year after all.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
htfryar


Joined: 14 Feb 2005
Posts: 12949
Location: Arkansas
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
We all know that ht is pulling for Heath so he can fill the void that ht's beloved Bill Bates left in his heart.


Amen to that.
_________________

My how the years have flown by.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 31447
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up Heath in a 16 team IDP dynasty league. I hope he earns and keeps the starting SS spot.

I think Frazier has a better chance than Woods at beating him for the job, but Heath does have more experience than both of them.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 8293
Location: Not a fan of Linehan.
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Starts At SS For The Cowboys? Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
Who Starts At SS For The Cowboys?


I thought Who played 1st base?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JShank


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 734
Location: Palm Beach County FL
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jeff Heath starts, and he will have to LOSE the job during the season, to not remain the starter.

If he is not playing above-average, then he loses it to Xavier Woods.

FS - Byron Jones, Awuzie, Showers
SS - Jeff Heath, Woods, Awuzie, Frazier

*Showers and Frazier will battle it out for a roster position.
**Awuzie is also a 2nd String CB.
***Heath, Awuzie, & Woods will all see a decent amount of time on the field.
_________________
Go Cowboys!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
DaBoys


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 8293
Location: Not a fan of Linehan.
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woods will be starting by week 3 if not sooner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hiero


Joined: 12 Oct 2005
Posts: 9205
Location: Sacramento
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-2-5
Taco
Thornton/paea
Collins
Lawrence

Lee
Hopefully Jaylon

Scandrick
Awuzie
Brown

Byron
Heath/Woods
_________________

Skalelujah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 18607
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiero wrote:
4-2-5
Taco
Thornton/paea
Collins
Lawrence

Lee
Hopefully Jaylon

Scandrick
Awuzie
Brown

Byron
Heath/Woods


Why is our best defensive lineman on the bench?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jlash


Joined: 17 Oct 2016
Posts: 2133
Location: NJ
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JShank wrote:
I think Jeff Heath starts, and he will have to LOSE the job during the season, to not remain the starter.

If he is not playing above-average, then he loses it to Xavier Woods.

FS - Byron Jones, Awuzie, Showers
SS - Jeff Heath, Woods, Awuzie, Frazier

*Showers and Frazier will battle it out for a roster position.
**Awuzie is also a 2nd String CB.
***Heath, Awuzie, & Woods will all see a decent amount of time on the field.


So you want a rookie to come in and learn 3 positions on the defense right off the bat?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JShank


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 734
Location: Palm Beach County FL
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
JShank wrote:
I think Jeff Heath starts, and he will have to LOSE the job during the season, to not remain the starter.

If he is not playing above-average, then he loses it to Xavier Woods.

FS - Byron Jones, Awuzie, Showers
SS - Jeff Heath, Woods, Awuzie, Frazier

*Showers and Frazier will battle it out for a roster position.
**Awuzie is also a 2nd String CB.
***Heath, Awuzie, & Woods will all see a decent amount of time on the field.


So you want a rookie to come in and learn 3 positions on the defense right off the bat?


Yes (See Byron Jones). It gives scheme flexibility and greater depth. I also believe that cross-training gives a greater understanding of the defense as a whole.
_________________
Go Cowboys!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TD-ES-JJ


Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 2147
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JShank wrote:
Jlash wrote:
JShank wrote:
I think Jeff Heath starts, and he will have to LOSE the job during the season, to not remain the starter.

If he is not playing above-average, then he loses it to Xavier Woods.

FS - Byron Jones, Awuzie, Showers
SS - Jeff Heath, Woods, Awuzie, Frazier

*Showers and Frazier will battle it out for a roster position.
**Awuzie is also a 2nd String CB.
***Heath, Awuzie, & Woods will all see a decent amount of time on the field.


So you want a rookie to come in and learn 3 positions on the defense right off the bat?


That cross training has set Byron Jones back. He's first round pick who is pretty good at corner and pretty good at safety, but not great at either. I hope we don't do that again.

Yes (See Byron Jones). It gives scheme flexibility and greater depth. I also believe that cross-training gives a greater understanding of the defense as a whole.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JShank


Joined: 08 May 2005
Posts: 734
Location: Palm Beach County FL
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
JShank wrote:
Jlash wrote:
JShank wrote:
I think Jeff Heath starts, and he will have to LOSE the job during the season, to not remain the starter.

If he is not playing above-average, then he loses it to Xavier Woods.

FS - Byron Jones, Awuzie, Showers
SS - Jeff Heath, Woods, Awuzie, Frazier

*Showers and Frazier will battle it out for a roster position.
**Awuzie is also a 2nd String CB.
***Heath, Awuzie, & Woods will all see a decent amount of time on the field.


So you want a rookie to come in and learn 3 positions on the defense right off the bat?


"That cross training has set Byron Jones back. He's first round pick who is pretty good at corner and pretty good at safety, but not great at either. I hope we don't do that again."

Yes (See Byron Jones). It gives scheme flexibility and greater depth. I also believe that cross-training gives a greater understanding of the defense as a whole.


First, you are making a pure assumption that Byron Jones would be better if he were to be left at one spot his rookie year. I understand the logic, though.
However, it doesn't matter about the player per se, rather the team as a whole. If it is more valuable for a player to be able to fill multiple spots, then that may outweigh or level out any perceived draw backs from cross-training.

Also, I want Awuzie on the field alot, and I think cross-training him allows for more opportunities to get him on the field.

Caveat = if Awuzie is obviously better than Scandrick or Brown, then just start him at CB and leave him there, I just doubt that is the case.
_________________
Go Cowboys!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 31447
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Hiero wrote:
4-2-5
Taco
Thornton/paea
Collins
Lawrence

Lee
Hopefully Jaylon

Scandrick
Awuzie
Brown

Byron
Heath/Woods


Why is our best defensive lineman on the bench?


Irving will start most probably. Crawford and Taco will probably rotate in. Maybe Damontre makes the team. That'd be cool I guess.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 31447
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
JShank wrote:
Jlash wrote:
JShank wrote:
I think Jeff Heath starts, and he will have to LOSE the job during the season, to not remain the starter.

If he is not playing above-average, then he loses it to Xavier Woods.

FS - Byron Jones, Awuzie, Showers
SS - Jeff Heath, Woods, Awuzie, Frazier

*Showers and Frazier will battle it out for a roster position.
**Awuzie is also a 2nd String CB.
***Heath, Awuzie, & Woods will all see a decent amount of time on the field.


So you want a rookie to come in and learn 3 positions on the defense right off the bat?


That cross training has set Byron Jones back. He's first round pick who is pretty good at corner and pretty good at safety, but not great at either. I hope we don't do that again.

Yes (See Byron Jones). It gives scheme flexibility and greater depth. I also believe that cross-training gives a greater understanding of the defense as a whole.


Byron's versatility is a big reason the Cowboys D started performing better. I think at one point late in the season Byron Jones was the #1 cover player on tight ends in the entire league.

Too bad the Cook and Rodgers duo still did a number on him in the playoffs though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 31447
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
Woods will be starting by week 3 if not sooner.


You got Woods ahead of Frazier on the depth chart right now?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group