Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots Extend Blount a tender
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
bluemushrooms wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
Actually can someone clear this up for me - does signing Blount merely count towards the Patriots compensatory picks, or does a team have to send a pick to the Patriots like signing a tendered player (like the Patriots did with sending a pick to the Bills to sign Gillisle)?

And if it's the latter (losing Blount would give the Patriots another compensatory pick), does signing Blount negatively affect the compensatory pick situation of the signing team?

Thanks in advance... see some misleading information about this.

If another team signs Blount, that has comp picks, they will lose a comp pick AND the Patriots will gain a comp pick from the loss of Blount (Patriot's pick depends on how much Blount gets signed for)

No one is trading comp picks here; it's all rolling into each team's individual comp pick formula.

I do not understand how this is different from normal, non-tendered UFA. An UFA that signs with another team counts against the other team's comp picks and counts for the team that is letting him walk. Tendering for a pick is for RFA or players with less than 3 years experience.

All of this seems to say the Blount is a RFA.

The relevant bit is that the normal period in which free agent signings count towards the compensatory pick formula ended on May 9th. This tender seems to extend that period, but only for Blount.

The reason why this tender is so rarely used is probably because any player desirable enough to use it on was probably signed by a team before the deadline, or is not worth the guaranteed salary the tender would give. Since the Pats had Blount on a 1-year cheap prove it deal though, they decided that offering the tender to hopefully get an additional compensatory pick when another team signs him was best.

Teams were waiting for the May 9th deadline to sign Blount (and other current FAs like Michael Floyd) until this deadline. If the Pats didn't tender him, he likely would've been signed by now.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Chiefer

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all is besides the point that Blount is a bad RB.

I've never seen a guy run into the backs of his linemen more in my life. Well besides Mark Sanchez Laughing
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
This all is besides the point that Blount is a bad RB.

I've never seen a guy run into the backs of his linemen more in my life. Well besides Mark Sanchez Laughing

Eh, he's a really hit or miss type of runner. Once he gets some momentum he can make some spectacular runs but it takes him awhile to get to that point and he seems to get caught at the line alot.

I'd probably use the word "pedestrian RB" if I had to sum him up, personally.

Nacho Simulation Football League

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: