You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots Extend Blount a tender
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually can someone clear this up for me - does signing Blount merely count towards the Patriots compensatory picks, or does a team have to send a pick to the Patriots like signing a tendered player (like the Patriots did with sending a pick to the Bills to sign Gillisle)?

And if it's the latter (losing Blount would give the Patriots another compensatory pick), does signing Blount negatively affect the compensatory pick situation of the signing team?

Thanks in advance... see some misleading information about this.

Nacho Simulation Football League
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Truly a privilege to watch Belichick in action.

It sounds like he's just screwing over LeGarrette, to be Blount.

imo it'll be a good thing for Blount. His market seems pretty lukewarm and this will at least give Blount a team to fall back on if no one wants to sign him. It should also give Blount a higher base salary to negotiate off of if a team is actually interested.

-Sig made by BenderRodriguez

2016 Adopt a Patriot: LeGarrette Blount
2015 Adopt a Patriot: James White

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Chimdi is Love. Chekwa is Life.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemushrooms wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Truly a privilege to watch Belichick in action.

It sounds like he's just screwing over LeGarrette, to be Blount.

imo it'll be a good thing for Blount. His market seems pretty lukewarm and this will at least give Blount a team to fall back on if no one wants to sign him. It should also give Blount a higher base salary to negotiate off of if a team is actually interested.

I'm not sure how lukewarm his market was, but it was expected him to be quickly signed by a team after May 9th so the signing team could avoid being negatively impacted by the compensatory pick formula.

That's why I asked my question a couple posts ago.

bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
Actually can someone clear this up for me - does signing Blount merely count towards the Patriots compensatory picks, or does a team have to send a pick to the Patriots like signing a tendered player (like the Patriots did with sending a pick to the Bills to sign Gillisle)?

And if it's the latter (losing Blount would give the Patriots another compensatory pick), does signing Blount negatively affect the compensatory pick situation of the signing team?

If another team signs Blount, that has comp picks, they will lose a comp pick AND the Patriots will gain a comp pick from the loss of Blount (Patriot's pick depends on how much Blount gets signed for)

No one is trading comp picks here; it's all rolling into each team's individual comp pick formula.

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Shockey1979

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
So what happens if he doesn't sign it?

He doesn't have to sign it he is a FA after all, the tender basically means new england can match any offer he gets (they won't) he just has to sign a contract with another team by july 22nd or else he'll have to be a patriot. The patriots only tendered him because they want the comp pick, which won't be more than a 7th rounder most likely sign I doubt he signs for more than 2 million, or at least that's what I've gathered on this.

So basically there is no reason for Blount to sign the tender aside from the slight increase in pay it would guarantee.

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

He doesn't have to sign it he is a FA after all, the tender basically means new england can match any offer he gets (they won't) he just has to sign a contract with another team by july 22nd or else he'll have to be a patriot. The patriots only tendered him because they want the comp pick, which won't be more than a 7th rounder most likely sign I doubt he signs for more than 2 million, or at least that's what I've gathered on this.

So basically there is no reason for Blount to sign the tender aside from the slight increase in pay it would guarantee.
Yeah, doesn't seem like he should sign it

#1 ET Supporter
theJ

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

Except he may not get a contract offer from elsewhere. This is likely a guarantee 1.1 mil.

What sucks for him that is that with all the backfield talent the Pats are accumulating, he may not make the 53 man roster.

~T.S. Eliot
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think he should sign it. It doesn't appear that Blount is in the Patriots' plans, they just want an additional comp pick for a team to sign him. With that in mind I think he should sign it and take up a roster slot on the Patriots until they're forced to cut him (no way the Patriots keep all of Lewis, Burkhead, White, Gillislee, Bolden AND Blount).... then sign with a RB-needy team at that time. Sucks that he will miss being able to do TC and preseason with his new team but some team is bound to have a RB injury and call him up.

If they do decide to keep him, he earns a decent salary for not much work and there's a big chance the Patriots try to trade him or something. But I can't see the Patriots actually wanting Blount on their roster - he should call their bluff tbh.

theJ wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

Except he may not get a contract offer from elsewhere. This is likely a guarantee 1.1 mil.

What sucks for him that is that with all the backfield talent the Pats are accumulating, he may not make the 53 man roster.

I think that's the best case scenario for him atm. No team is going to sign him right now if they're going to suffer from a comp pick penalty. However, a team might sign him before week 1 if it's free, especially if their 1st or 2nd string RB goes with with injury (which, statistically, will happen to some team).

Worst case scenario for Blount is he just takes the $1.1M in 2017 for doing virtually nothing (because lets face it, the Patriots have invested too much in the RB position this offseason to let them lose carries to Blount).

But either way, unfortunately for him, I think he's in a better position by signing it which will put some pressure on the Patriots to get rid of him.

bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I actually think he should sign it. It doesn't appear that Blount is in the Patriots' plans, they just want an additional comp pick for a team to sign him. With that in mind I think he should sign it and take up a roster slot on the Patriots until they're forced to cut him (no way the Patriots keep all of Lewis, Burkhead, White, Gillislee, Bolden AND Blount).... then sign with a RB-needy team at that time. Sucks that he will miss being able to do TC and preseason with his new team but some team is bound to have a RB injury and call him up.

If they do decide to keep him, he earns a decent salary for not much work and there's a big chance the Patriots try to trade him or something. But I can't see the Patriots actually wanting Blount on their roster - he should call their bluff tbh.

theJ wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

I think that's the best case scenario for him atm. No team is going to sign him right now if they're going to suffer from a comp pick penalty. However, a team might sign him before week 1 if it's free, especially if their 1st or 2nd string RB goes with with injury (which, statistically, will happen to some team).

Worst case scenario for Blount is he just takes the $1.1M in 2017 for doing virtually nothing (because lets face it, the Patriots have invested too much in the RB position this offseason to let them lose carries to Blount).

But either way, unfortunately for him, I think he's in a better position by signing it which will put some pressure on the Patriots to get rid of him.

His contract is only $1.1mm if he signs so, I don't think the Patriots are going to be sweating having him on the roster. BB obviously likes him a lot and BB is going to play whoever performs the best regardless of how much their salary is.

Also, it's important to note that teams without comp picks, like the Lions (I think), won't lose any comp picks by signing Blount so, this tender won't dissuade them from trying to get Blount.

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemushrooms wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

theJ wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:
OleXmad wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

His contract is only $1.1mm if he signs so, I don't think the Patriots are going to be sweating having him on the roster. BB obviously likes him a lot and BB is going to play whoever performs the best regardless of how much their salary is.

Also, it's important to note that teams without comp picks, like the Lions (I think), won't lose any comp picks by signing Blount so, this tender won't dissuade them from trying to get Blount.

It's not about the salary (although $1.1M isn't exactly nothing either), but the roster spot he'd be taking up. A roster spot on a 53-man roster is extremely valuable. Considering they have several RBs on the team they prefer than him, and keeping him could mean cutting a young player at a different position they may like, the pressure he puts on is not his salary but the fact him being there means someone else won't be.

It's extremely silly to keep a player hogging up a roster spot that you don't plan to use now, or later.

Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was Blount I would go in there and beat up Kraft, Billicheat, and Brandy for this disrespectful move. Know your worth, LGB.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placing a tender on a player is now rare and brilliant because BB did it? Confused

I remember my first beer.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///mcompact wrote:
Placing a tender on a player is now rare and brilliant because BB did it? Confused

Using it to ensure you get a comp pick and the fact pretty much no other team has used this tender in the last 5-10 years (from what I can find) is brilliant.

Placing a normal tender on an UDFA/RFA is nothing, doing it on a FA is something that is incredibly rare.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///mcompact wrote:

The exact tender used is virtually never utilized. Several former GMs and 'talking heads' have come out and said as much.

From my understanding, and I may still have this incorrect, it would seem to only benefit the Pats if another team gives Blount an offer. If he signs it and starts the 2017 season on the Pats' squad.. he really doesn't have much of a place there anymore, just looking at the RB contracts the Pats doled out this offseason.

The reason why this move is being categorized as shady by some, is it rather limits Blount's already limited FA options. Teams will now be less willing to sign him due to the additional cost required to acquire him. So the Pats basically hurt his market for the sake of an extremely low compensatory pick they may not even get. Players may see this move and wonder if they'll be given the same treatment if they hit FA and try to wait until TC injuries before signing with another team.

Again, if I'm wrong on any of these points, feel free to correct me.
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemushrooms wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:

If another team signs Blount, that has comp picks, they will lose a comp pick AND the Patriots will gain a comp pick from the loss of Blount (Patriot's pick depends on how much Blount gets signed for)

No one is trading comp picks here; it's all rolling into each team's individual comp pick formula.

I do not understand how this is different from normal, non-tendered UFA. An UFA that signs with another team counts against the other team's comp picks and counts for the team that is letting him walk. Tendering for a pick is for RFA or players with less than 3 years experience.

All of this seems to say the Blount is a RFA.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: