You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings sign WR Michael Floyd
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kparty69

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any downside to signing Floyd to an extremely reasonable 1 year, $1.5 million contract with performance escalators up to $6 million. We aren't giving up any draft picks or a ton of cap space for him and we only have 2-3 proven WRs on the roster in Diggs, Theilen, and Wright. If Floyd makes some lifestyle changes and stays out of trouble then there is no downside and if he messes up again then we can cut him and aren't really out anything. It will be unlikely to see Floyd reach his $6 million escalator considering he will probably have a short two game suspension to start the year and we will have a deep rotation at Wr. Charles Johnson and Cordarrelle Patterson both got contracts around $4-$5 million a year and Floyd is a way better WR than either of them.

Two of my favorite Vikings in Cris Carter and Jared Allen both had some rocky starts to their careers, but were able to make some lifestyle changes and get back on the right track. In 2008 the Vikings traded a 1st and two 3rd round picks for Jared Allen after he had 3 DUI's. After signing he was able to stay clean and put together a potential Hall of Fame career. After failing 3 drug tests Cris Carter was cut from the Eagles in big part he was partaking in heavy drinking and cocaine and ecstasy use on a regular basis. If you look at Carters stats through the first 5 years of his career they aren't better than Michael Floyd's; he didn't even have a 1,000 yard season until he was 28. After making some lifestyle changes Carter was able to put together 8 consecutive 1000 yard seasons when he was 28-35 years old. Floyd isn't even 28 yet so it would be silly to think that his career has already peaked. During his time in college Michael Floyd got two underage drinking citations and one DUI. Despite those things he was still drafted with the 13th overall pick because of his immense talent. At the NFL combine Floyd's numbers compared favorably to AJ Green's numbers, even outperforming him in several key categories including the 40 and vertical jump. It's not like Floyd is always getting in to trouble or anything. Since being in the NFL his only real character issue was his recent DUI. It's not like Floyd is consistently getting in trouble with the league like Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, or Johnny Manziel. It's not like he has domestic violence issues like Ray Rice. It's not like he smokes a bunch of weed, has anger issues, is a diva that gets in fights with people in the locker room, and is a huge team distraction like Percy Harvin. Michael Floyd is actually known to be a great guy to have in the locker room. There are plenty of guys whose careers fall apart because of drugs and alcohol, but there are also plenty of success stories and I think Floyd could be the latter.

I don't think that signing Floyd will take away too many valuable snaps from Diggs and Theilen or will hinder Treadwell's development at all because Shurmur said he wants to use more of a rotation at WR this year to keep fresh legs on the field. Also Pat Shurmur's offense uses more 3 WR sets unlike Norv Turner's which uses more 2 WR/2 TE sets which means having deep group of WR's is even more important. Floyd will primarily replace the Charles Johnson/Mike Wallace role in our offense as an outside WR allowing both Diggs and Theilen to move between the slot and the other outside spot to exploit mismatches. Having Diggs, Thielen, and Adams all able too play the slot essentially makes Jarius Wright less valuable and could easily be cut since he doesn't play special teams. Michael Floyd is 10 times the WR that Charles Johnson, who had all the athletic ability in the world, but for some reason couldn't get open or catch difficult passes, was and would be an excellent replacement for him on the roster. Since often times it takes WR's about 3 years to really develop and break out the Floyd signing will allow Treadwell to develop rather than being forced into action too early. The idea of having Floyd and Treadwell on the field run blocking at the same time is awesome! Both are outstanding run blockers. I don't know if Floyd will beat out Theilen in camp since Thielen already has chemistry with Bradford. Almost immediately Floyd comes onto the roster as our 2nd most talented WR with the potential to compete with Diggs for targets. Thielen is very good, but is an overachiever and Floyd as an underachiever is just about as good as Thielen. If Floyd can finally put everything together then he will be much better than Thielen is. With both Diggs and Treadwell still on their cheap rookie contracts the Vikings won't have any trouble being able to afford keeping Thielen and Floyd, both 27 years old, for the next few years as well.

For those of you saying that Floyd is only a WR 2 or 3 I completely disagree. At this point Floyd has only had one 1,000 yard season in his career, when he was 24 years old, but I don't think his stats reflect his talent. Floyd only started in 3 games as a rookie, but then was able to break 1,000 yards by his second season. In Floyd's third season he was still able to manage 841 yards despite losing Palmer to a season ending injury after only 6 weeks. In his fourth season Floyd had 849 yards on a team that had two other WR's both go over 1,000 yards in Larry Fitzgerald and John Brown. Then this past season Floyd did have a down year even before his DUI and getting cut, but I think last seasons performance is a bit of an anomaly. He has had a season or two with poor conditioning, but a properly motivated Floyd could easily be the WR 1B to Stefon Diggs WR1A.
Tyty

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kparty69 wrote:
I don't see any downside to signing Floyd to an extremely reasonable 1 year, $1.5 million contract with performance escalators up to $6 million. We aren't giving up any draft picks or a ton of cap space for him and we only have 2-3 proven WRs on the roster in Diggs, Theilen, and Wright. If Floyd makes some lifestyle changes and stays out of trouble then there is no downside and if he messes up again then we can cut him and aren't really out anything. It will be unlikely to see Floyd reach his $6 million escalator considering he will probably have a short two game suspension to start the year and we will have a deep rotation at Wr. Charles Johnson and Cordarrelle Patterson both got contracts around $4-$5 million a year and Floyd is a way better WR than either of them.

Two of my favorite Vikings in Cris Carter and Jared Allen both had some rocky starts to their careers, but were able to make some lifestyle changes and get back on the right track. In 2008 the Vikings traded a 1st and two 3rd round picks for Jared Allen after he had 3 DUI's. After signing he was able to stay clean and put together a potential Hall of Fame career. After failing 3 drug tests Cris Carter was cut from the Eagles in big part he was partaking in heavy drinking and cocaine and ecstasy use on a regular basis. If you look at Carters stats through the first 5 years of his career they aren't better than Michael Floyd's; he didn't even have a 1,000 yard season until he was 28. After making some lifestyle changes Carter was able to put together 8 consecutive 1000 yard seasons when he was 28-35 years old. Floyd isn't even 28 yet so it would be silly to think that his career has already peaked. During his time in college Michael Floyd got two underage drinking citations and one DUI. Despite those things he was still drafted with the 13th overall pick because of his immense talent. At the NFL combine Floyd's numbers compared favorably to AJ Green's numbers, even outperforming him in several key categories including the 40 and vertical jump. It's not like Floyd is always getting in to trouble or anything. Since being in the NFL his only real character issue was his recent DUI. It's not like Floyd is consistently getting in trouble with the league like Josh Gordon, Justin Blackmon, or Johnny Manziel. It's not like he has domestic violence issues like Ray Rice. It's not like he smokes a bunch of weed, has anger issues, is a diva that gets in fights with people in the locker room, and is a huge team distraction like Percy Harvin. Michael Floyd is actually known to be a great guy to have in the locker room. There are plenty of guys whose careers fall apart because of drugs and alcohol, but there are also plenty of success stories and I think Floyd could be the latter.

I don't think that signing Floyd will take away too many valuable snaps from Diggs and Theilen or will hinder Treadwell's development at all because Shurmur said he wants to use more of a rotation at WR this year to keep fresh legs on the field. Also Pat Shurmur's offense uses more 3 WR sets unlike Norv Turner's which uses more 2 WR/2 TE sets which means having deep group of WR's is even more important. Floyd will primarily replace the Charles Johnson/Mike Wallace role in our offense as an outside WR allowing both Diggs and Theilen to move between the slot and the other outside spot to exploit mismatches. Having Diggs, Thielen, and Adams all able too play the slot essentially makes Jarius Wright less valuable and could easily be cut since he doesn't play special teams. Michael Floyd is 10 times the WR that Charles Johnson, who had all the athletic ability in the world, but for some reason couldn't get open or catch difficult passes, was and would be an excellent replacement for him on the roster. Since often times it takes WR's about 3 years to really develop and break out the Floyd signing will allow Treadwell to develop rather than being forced into action too early. The idea of having Floyd and Treadwell on the field run blocking at the same time is awesome! Both are outstanding run blockers. I don't know if Floyd will beat out Theilen in camp since Thielen already has chemistry with Bradford. Almost immediately Floyd comes onto the roster as our 2nd most talented WR with the potential to compete with Diggs for targets. Thielen is very good, but is an overachiever and Floyd as an underachiever is just about as good as Thielen. If Floyd can finally put everything together then he will be much better than Thielen is. With both Diggs and Treadwell still on their cheap rookie contracts the Vikings won't have any trouble being able to afford keeping Thielen and Floyd, both 27 years old, for the next few years as well.

For those of you saying that Floyd is only a WR 2 or 3 I completely disagree. At this point Floyd has only had one 1,000 yard season in his career, when he was 24 years old, but I don't think his stats reflect his talent. Floyd only started in 3 games as a rookie, but then was able to break 1,000 yards by his second season. In Floyd's third season he was still able to manage 841 yards despite losing Palmer to a season ending injury after only 6 weeks. In his fourth season Floyd had 849 yards on a team that had two other WR's both go over 1,000 yards in Larry Fitzgerald and John Brown. Then this past season Floyd did have a down year even before his DUI and getting cut, but I think last seasons performance is a bit of an anomaly. He has had a season or two with poor conditioning, but a properly motivated Floyd could easily be the WR 1B to Stefon Diggs WR1A.

I think this is tl;dr even for Vikings fans
joru1000

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kparty69 wrote:

What are your thoughts on farmer genocide in South Africa?
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy has #1 WR talent, and has shown it at various times. I honestly think Palmer held him back a bit. Can't count how many times I've seen Palmer miss him. Seems like their chemistry just wasn't there. Don't see where he is a locker room issue either. Laughing Laughing He shuts his mouth and comes to work. Hundreds of athletes get DUIs, I don't see how his makes him some outstanding locker room flight risk.

[2015 Adopt-A-Patriot]:#17 - Aaron Dobson
Rec:13 Yards:141 TDs:0

Smack Ink
ManInTheMirror

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyty wrote:
Not a good fit at all. Minnesota is very cold and snowy and the roads will be very icy. Will spell disaster for Michael Floyd as he tries to drive drunk on them.

Tyty wrote:

Do you ever have anything product to add? Seems like everytime I see your username all I ever see next to it is a waste of space.
tom cody

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Floyd should be a good pickup for the Vikings. Good #2 or #3 receiver.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
patriotsheatyan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godd move. Still don't get why he was still available.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the character concern?

Edit: checked it, what is "extreme DUI" like how bad is that? Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

It's his second DUI in like 5 years and he's on house arrest until june I think?

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

There is a video of the incident if you want to see it.

Extreme DUI in AZ is over .15

El ramster on the sig
ManInTheMirror

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

vikingshomer

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:

Only way he plays more than Thielen is if Thielen gets injured.

At best, Floyd will be target #4 after

Diggs
Rudolph
Thielen

and probably even Cook
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManInTheMirror wrote:
Tyty wrote:
Not a good fit at all. Minnesota is very cold and snowy and the roads will be very icy. Will spell disaster for Michael Floyd as he tries to drive drunk on them.

Tyty wrote:

Do you ever have anything product to add? Seems like everytime I see your username all I ever see next to it is a waste of space.

I lol'd at both.

I'll allow it.

D#######
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingshomer wrote:
tom cody wrote:

Diggs
Rudolph
Thielen

and probably even Cook

Even if he's only their 3rd WR does it really matter? At 1.5M base if he doesn't produce like a top 2 WR the incentives likely don't amount to much. If he's their WR2 then it's an amazing bargain, maybe best signing of the offseason value-wise. If he's their WR3 and 4th target then he's still a huge bargain. If he's only their 4th target and earns 1.5M it's hard to say even that's not a bargain.

The key to O success is finding the right mismatch and exploiting it. Floyd and Thielen out wide Diggs in the slot, Rudolph at TE and Cook/McKinnon as the passing down RB means D's have more guys to worry about. At the salary MIN got the risk is nearly nil compared to the potential payoff.
vikingshomer

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
vikingshomer wrote:
tom cody wrote:

Diggs
Rudolph
Thielen

and probably even Cook

Even if he's only their 3rd WR does it really matter? At 1.5M base if he doesn't produce like a top 2 WR the incentives likely don't amount to much. If he's their WR2 then it's an amazing bargain, maybe best signing of the offseason value-wise. If he's their WR3 and 4th target then he's still a huge bargain. If he's only their 4th target and earns 1.5M it's hard to say even that's not a bargain.

The key to O success is finding the right mismatch and exploiting it. Floyd and Thielen out wide Diggs in the slot, Rudolph at TE and Cook/McKinnon as the passing down RB means D's have more guys to worry about. At the salary MIN got the risk is nearly nil compared to the potential payoff.

Oh not at all. I like the signing. I'm just pointing out that he is unlikely to produce much unless there are injuries on the team.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: