You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings sign WR Michael Floyd
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Vikings sign WR Michael Floyd Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/862383971048583169

Huge talent - lots of concern. Low risk move though at 1.5M.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Minnesota locker room is going to be rough.

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

??? who else is going to make it rough?

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Floyd had one incident in the five years in the NFL. He really never was a locker room problem.

El ramster on the sig
bzane

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whither, then, Stefon Diggs?

What does the signing of Floyd portend for the third-year fledgling-star wide-out? Does the presence of an experienced deep threat like Floyd mean more open field for the 8- and 10-yard receptions of Stefon Diggs?

OR, does it augur fewer targets for the young receiver, while the veteran star gets more looks?
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bzane wrote:
Whither, then, Stefon Diggs?

What does the signing of Floyd portend for the third-year fledgling-star wide-out? Does the presence of an experienced deep threat like Floyd mean more open field for the 8- and 10-yard receptions of Stefon Diggs?

OR, does it augur fewer targets for the young receiver, while the veteran star gets more looks?

Floyd is a great complement to Digg's game IMO. Diggs can dominate the slot and short routes. Floyd is a post / boundary / deep threat.

3-wide sets can use Floyd / Thielen outside and Diggs in the slot.

This also really puts Treadwell on notice that he's not being handed a top 3 WR job. That's the other side benefit.

Again for the $ such little risk. I wouldn't think Diggs is affected if anyone is it's Thielen & Treadwell.
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if Floyd is the #2 over Thielen.

Stefon Diggs
Adam Thielen
Michael Floyd
Laquon Treadwell
Jarius Wright
Rodney Adams

Stacy Coley and Moritz Boehringer on the practice squad

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
I'd be surprised if Floyd is the #2 over Thielen.

Stefon Diggs
Adam Thielen
Michael Floyd
Laquon Treadwell
Jarius Wright
Rodney Adams

Stacy Coley and Moritz Boehringer on the practice squad

Thielen seems locked in as one boundary WR. But as far as targets go I'd think Thielen and Treadwell stand to lose more targets than Diggs. Treadwell better come out on fire if he doesn't want to be on the bench when MIN goes with their 3-WR sets.
joru1000

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Wright and then Rudolph at TE.

I don't see Floyd making the team past Pre-Season Week 3 seeing as his deal is highly incentivized to possibly go up to $6 million for the full season. Doubt they'd want to pay him that much, when they could use it towards a signing bonus for a guy like Diggs who will probably want a better contract soon.

They probably just want a big camp body.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:

I don't see Floyd making the team past Pre-Season Week 3 seeing as his deal is highly incentivized to possibly go up to $6 million for the full season. Doubt they'd want to pay him that much, when they could use it towards a signing bonus for a guy like Diggs who will probably want a better contract soon.

Most incentives are based on performance - so he'd only hit them if he balls out. It's doubtful he'd get paid a lot more just to be on the roster, at least not huge $.

If he's just a camp body then why would Min even bother getting incentives in the deal? Wouldn't they be putting them in because they see a potential fit, but don't want to take on unnecessary risk? Once the details are out on guaranteed $ and the actual incentives I think we'd all have a better idea, no?

Last edited by Broncofan on Wed May 10, 2017 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
joru1000

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
joru1000 wrote:

Most incentives are based on performance - so he'd only hit them if he balls out. It's doubtful he'd get paid a lot more just to be on the roster.

If he's just a camp body then why would Min even bother getting incentives in the deal? Wouldn't they be putting them in because they see a potential fit, but don't want to take on unnecessary risk?

How do you know it wasn't Floyd's agent who asked for the incentives? Maybe he thought it was a way to potentially get more money for his lowly demanded client, while the Vikings FO just nodded and said "yeah" fully knowing they wouldn't keep him.

I could see him being just a guy they brought in for Treadwell to learn behind for a few months over the summer. They have a similar play style.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
joru1000 wrote:

Most incentives are based on performance - so he'd only hit them if he balls out. It's doubtful he'd get paid a lot more just to be on the roster.

If he's just a camp body then why would Min even bother getting incentives in the deal? Wouldn't they be putting them in because they see a potential fit, but don't want to take on unnecessary risk?

How do you know it wasn't Floyd's agent who asked for the incentives? Maybe he thought it was a way to potentially get more money for his lowly demanded client, while the Vikings FO just nodded and said "yeah" fully knowing they wouldn't keep him.

I could see him being just a guy they brought in for Treadwell to learn behind for a few months over the summer. They have a similar play style.

Anything is possible - my point being is until the details are out it's hard to know how committed the Vikes are. Guaranteed $ and the nature of the incentives will tell the tale. If the $ is guaranteed base-wise and the incentives are all performance based rather than just roster based then the interest would seem real - because the Vikes would be kissing away the 1.5m away with a cut. If the base isn't guaranteed then the camp body angle fits. A low base makes absolute sense either way regardless given he can't even report to them by mid-June.
Marc MacGyver

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pick up, if he can stay clean?
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd: “I am very excited to come home and play for the Minnesota Vikings. I have been training extremely hard this offseason in addition to taking responsibility and paying the consequences for my mistake. Although I cannot change my past decisions, I have definitely learned from this experience and look forward to making valuable contributions to the Vikings organization and the Minnesota community, both as a player and a person. Time to go to work.”

Spielman: “Coach Zimmer and I are confident Michael Floyd has learned and grown from his past decisions. He has accepted full responsibility and is taking encouraging steps to improve. We have offered Michael the full support and assistance of the Minnesota Vikings organization and our player development programs. We are aware that Michael is subject to discipline from the NFL and will work with both him and the NFL in a professional manner. We are excited to have Michael and believe he can be a productive member of our football team and community.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Sign-WR-Michael-Floyd/dcd90d7f-2dd3-4ddf-b3c6-0fff6191474d?sf77962333=1

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Biggs Beefcakes

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joru1000 wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
joru1000 wrote:

Treadwell caught one pass last year. It would be foolish to just assume he's going to be a player this year. That's historically bad for a 1st round WR.

Good move to get a player like Floyd who at his best could be this team's best WR. If Treadwell proves himself, suddenly they've got too many good WRs. That's a problem the Vikes could use. They need all the dynamic players they can get.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: