Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What we have in Nevin Lawson
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: What we have in Nevin Lawson Reply with quote

I read an interesting article and it got me thinking...

Nevin Lawson is the Detroit Lions most underrated player.

A 4th round comp pick out of Utah State, he was one of the most disappointing draft picks from us fans. Turns out, he's been the best CB out of the draft class, including players like Malcom Butler, Kyle Fuller, Jason Verrett and Darqueze Dennard. There were 16 CBs taken before Lawson in that draft, and NFL.com had him listed as a 7th round - undrafted prospect.

"Maypew" (courtesy of detfan) struck gold with Nevin, and it's time he starts getting praised as one of the better young CBs in the NFL and we are lucky to have him across Big Play Slay.

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
Maverick12

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% agree with you about this. In fact, I think this thread should of popped up several months ago. The only time he stood out to me last year in a negative way was that DPI call at Green Bay that ended up costing us 60 yards or something.

I've heard some "analysts" say the slot is his more natural position. Have to think he'll go there this year if things with Tabor work out.
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think hes better than verrett but I can see the others. Hes much better than 3rd round pick Alex Carter that's for sure. For once we got a steal in the later rounds
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been saying this and was the main reason I didn't see CB as a huge need in the draft. He was solid and with a better D line I think he looks even better.
Lions017

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Lawson a lot. I think that he's an average #2 corner, and probably a fantastic third corner to have on the team. I really like the Lions' group of CB's with Slay as the #1 and Lawson/Tabor/Hayden/Diggs battling it out for #2 and nickel CB roles.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
I dont think hes better than verrett but I can see the others. Hes much better than 3rd round pick Alex Carter that's for sure. For once we got a steal in the later rounds

Verrett barely broke the top 15.

Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:

That's interesting. More interesting that they rate Lawson as the top guy without a single INT in 3 years (and yes I realize INTS don't mean everything, but they do mean something.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:

That's interesting. More interesting that they rate Lawson as the top guy without a single INT in 3 years (and yes I realize INTS don't mean everything, but they do mean something.)

Well, they really are only basing these rankings on one stat. But it's a pretty good stat that tells a lot. Yards per coverage snap. That means you're not getting targeted, and when you are, you're not giving anything up. They also brought up the amount of tackles Lawson has had and it brought me to think, I can't recall a missed tackle by the guy.

detroitroar

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he had an absolute break out game 2 years ago in GB. He completely dominated Davante Adams. Been a fan of his since and think hes underrated as well.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets keep him under the radar, sign him to a decent second contract and then let him really break out.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is a Brandon Flowers reincarnate.

MrLionzz

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawson plays the right way. He has great technique and fluid hips. He does not have a pick yet but he is not a gambler either he doesn't try to jump every route or guess where the play is going to go all he does is go out play hard and plays sound. I think he is the best from that class so far. I don't know if Tabor will beat him out in the first year but I know he won't give it up. If Tabor wants to start opposite Slay then he is going to have to battle like he never has because Lawson is tough and has a couple years of experience on him. It should be an interesting battle there as well as LB.
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
Detroitlions703 wrote:

Well, they really are only basing these rankings on one stat. But it's a pretty good stat that tells a lot. Yards per coverage snap. That means you're not getting targeted, and when you are, you're not giving anything up. They also brought up the amount of tackles Lawson has had and it brought me to think, I can't recall a missed tackle by the guy.

AH makes sense. Then yeah I could absolutely see him as the top guy. Very good to have in that secondary.
dmudd

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting stat

LionsFTW

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmudd wrote:
Another interesting stat

Probably because it was so easy to target our LBs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: