Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The OL Depth Chart Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Yeah, I don't mind chipping with a back or a TE... I see no need to mess with a line that was tied for 4th in yards per attempt and 7th in sacks allowed.

This is it.

Don't weaken yourself in 3 areas to try and fill an injury at another. If Leno goes down than we know Compton needs help. But at least I know the guys playing C and RG are very good at those spots.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasu's future really depends on what they decide to do with Whitehair IMO. I'd leave him at center, and the assumption is they will, but they drafted him with the idea that Grasu was already gonna be the center, and one of his big things was that he could play all along the line. Worth noting. Also, if they foresee this as Sitton's last year here which is a possibility then they could be looking at moving Whitehair back to LG in 2018 in which case they probably want to keep Grasu to slide back in between Whitehair and Long.

Last edited by AZBearsFan on Mon May 22, 2017 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Madmike90

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-kyle-long-josh-sitton-switch-biggs-spt-0522-20170521-column.html

Quote:
The Bears are considering another position change for Kyle Long, but it's not what you might expect.

No, Long isn't moving back to right tackle, and the three-time Pro Bowl selection is not going to play left tackle either. Instead, multiple sources tell the Tribune the Bears are in the process of shifting Long to left guard for the 2017 season to have him swap places with veteran Josh Sitton, who was named to the Pro Bowl as an alternate last year.

AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-kyle-long-josh-sitton-switch-biggs-spt-0522-20170521-column.html

Quote:
The Bears are considering another position change for Kyle Long, but it's not what you might expect.

No, Long isn't moving back to right tackle, and the three-time Pro Bowl selection is not going to play left tackle either. Instead, multiple sources tell the Tribune the Bears are in the process of shifting Long to left guard for the 2017 season to have him swap places with veteran Josh Sitton, who was named to the Pro Bowl as an alternate last year.

It really makes sense. Teams generally have their LG being the more athletic pulling guard and that's certainly Long more than Sitton. Also, if the ultimate plan is for Long to be LT come 2018 then getting him acclimated to the left side now is smart, especially seeing as how Sitton played both OG spots in GB. I really don't have any reservations about where Long will play - only that he's back healthy after what was apparently a really nasty ankle injury last year.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:

Quote:

It really makes sense. Teams generally have their LG being the more athletic pulling guard and that's certainly Long more than Sitton. Also, if the ultimate plan is for Long to be LT come 2018 then getting him acclimated to the left side now is smart, especially seeing as how Sitton played both OG spots in GB. I really don't have any reservations about where Long will play - only that he's back healthy after what was apparently a really nasty ankle injury last year.

I think it also shows a shift in focus and again future planning for Trubisky...when your protecting a young QB you need to have his blindside protected as much as possible...Trubisky's athletic ability and accuracy on the move will allow him to roll out to his right with ease but again you need to put the ground work in place and make sure no one is having a clean shot at him from the blindside...the though of Long and Connor Williams protecting Trubisky in 2018 is pretty awesome.
Big Rod

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do u guys think of this line up Leno.Long.Grasu.Sitton.Whitehair....I read Whitehair played rt tackle in college and with Massie playing below avg. We can use his money to up Leno contract. We have solid backups at all positions
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitehair just got done having one of the better seasons for a rookie centre ever.

Grasu was bad and then injured.

Why would we ever more Whitehair to accommodate Grasu?
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really hard to play RG with a bad left shoulder.

At LG he can protect his bad shoulder better.
Big Rod

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard that Grasu had the best camp of any lineman last yr. He's a 2nd rd pick with upside so why not change Whitehair to a more premier position. He's a better athlete on the outside. We may want to keep a eye on this.
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rod wrote:
From what I've heard that Grasu had the best camp of any lineman last yr. He's a 2nd rd pick with upside so why not change Whitehair to a more premier position. He's a better athlete on the outside. We may want to keep a eye on this.

Grasu was a 3rd round pick and Whitehair's arms are definitely way too short to play outside. I think its more likely we see Grasu sit on the bench this year and then when Sitton retires/gets cut, they move Whitehair back to guard and let Grasu get his starting shot at C.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rod wrote:
What do u guys think of this line up Leno.Long.Grasu.Sitton.Whitehair....I read Whitehair played rt tackle in college and with Massie playing below avg. We can use his money to up Leno contract. We have solid backups at all positions

I wouldn't mind it. I've been steadfast that Whitehair can play OT. People were protecting La'el Collins as an OT but physically he and Whitehair are very similar, unless .5 inches in arm length is some dramatic difference. Arm length is definitely not optimal but he has great technique and we run a WC passing attack, so they arent being asked to hold pass rushers for extended time.

That being said, I would prefer to have two different OTs long term. Cody is versatile enough to plug anywhere IMO, but I have no faith in Leno and Massie.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adams Hoge/Jahns made some good points on episode 93 of their podcast: this has more to do with the potential absence of Long than anything else. Reasons they named were as follows:

*If Kyle Long misses part of camp, preseason, the season, etc., Eric Kush is better suited to play LG.

*Conversely, the Bears really don't have good option at RG, but Sitton is a good RG.

*In the event that Whitehair needs to move out and play either guard spot, Grasu can step in at center.

*If, for whatever reason, the Bears feel compelled to try Whitehair over Massie, that could be an option also. Remember, the Bears really wanted Ricky Wagner in free agency, so I doubt they're 100% happy with Massie.

I think we've underestimated the viability of Grasu to have a role this season. Kyle Long is far from ready to go.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Adams Hoge/Jahns made some good points on episode 93 of their podcast: this has more to do with the potential absence of Long than anything else. Reasons they named were as follows:

*If Kyle Long misses part of camp, preseason, the season, etc., Eric Kush is better suited to play LG.

*Conversely, the Bears really don't have good option at RG, but Sitton is a good RG.

*In the event that Whitehair needs to move out and play either guard spot, Grasu can step in at center.

*If, for whatever reason, the Bears feel compelled to try Whitehair over Massie, that could be an option also. Remember, the Bears really wanted Ricky Wagner in free agency, so I doubt they're 100% happy with Massie.

I think we've underestimated the viability of Grasu to have a role this season. Kyle Long is far from ready to go.

And..? It's not even June 1 yet. So what?
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

And..? It's not even June 1 yet. So what?

I don't understand your displeasure over that bolder section. He's missing a portion of the offseason program right now. Guys are shifting around to compensate. That's what's happening.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: