Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The OL Depth Chart Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: The OL Depth Chart Discussion Reply with quote

OL [8]

Charles Leno
Josh Sitton
Cody Whitehair
Kyle Long
Bobbie Massie

Tom Compton
Eric Kush
Jordan Morgan

Conrelius Edison [PR]
Diegout Joseph [PR]

Hroniss Grasu​

This is actually the position group on offense that I have the most faith in. The interior OL is one of the better units in the league and with Kush they have probably the best true backup on the team. The interior OL should be something that allows the Bears to ease Glennon and Trubisky in. They need to stay healthy, which with Sitton's ankle and Long's shoulder could be asking a lot, which makes the Jordan Morgan pick make more and more sense. Whitehair is a stud and should be a young C that can grow with Trubisky, which is an under rated relationship. If your C is good enough your QB does not need to worry about protection calls or shifting to pick up blitzes.

The Bears OTs are competent. Neither is dominant, but I think Leno can survive on his own in pass pro, which means you can help Massie more in the pass game. The Bears need to be creative with how they protect the OTs. Late last season when they were throwing 50 times a game they often hung the OTs out a little, but who cared if Barkley got hit. Compton is solid depth and at least gives them someone who has started games without looking like a total scrub. This unit should be solid and I think can even withstand a long term injury on the interior OL.

Just for practice logistics you need a full 2nd OL on the team in some capacity so the Bears need to stash 2 players on the PR. They need an OT as Compton is the only other OT on the roster and they need an interior player. Edison showed some flashes last year and still has PR eligibility. Diegot has the size [6'6"] to play OT and can get a year to develop.

I am struggling to find a spot on the team for Grasu. It is super rare for a team to keep 9 active OLmen and Compton is the swing tackle, Kush played well and got extended and Morgan is a draft pick.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasu is problematic because he's viewed only as a center by the team. So if he isn't starting and he can't play more than one position, it's difficult to find him a roster spot.

It kind of is what it is. He was drafted to be the center of the future, and then Whitehair wound up being a pretty good center.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of this comes down to what they feel a healthy Kyle Long can do...and maybe even Jordan Morgan...the interior guys are really good and deep...I would like to see us be brave and keep...

Charles Leno & Bobby Massie as true OTs.

Kyle Long & Jordan Morgan as OGs first but potential OTs in a pinch.

Josh Sitton as a G

Cody Whitehair as a C but also a guy who could shift to OG.

Eric Kush as a G first but who could also play C

Hroniss Grasu as a C

Those are the most talented players we have on the roster so lets find a way to get the best 5 on the field...guys like Compton & Sowell are poor.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really doubt they leave themselves that exposed at OT so they can keep Grasu.

I know we want to recoup some value from a 3rd round pick, but it looks like that is going to be hard.

If Leno were to go down, we would be relying on Long to switch sides and positions or a 5th round rookie who is undersized. Hard to not see Compton making the team.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

I know we want to recoup some value from a 3rd round pick, but it looks like that is going to be hard.

If Leno were to go down, we would be relying on Long to switch sides and positions or a 5th round rookie who is undersized. Hard to not see Compton making the team.

You want to run through that one again Windy? haha...

Long would make a better LT than Compton does.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

If you move Long you are downgrading 2 spots with 1 injury.

Long was mediocre at OT, by his own admission as well. Morgan would be an option but he is pretty short for an NFL LT.
mikee

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect that if a team loses a C to injury during preseason the Bears will look to offer up Grasu in a trade.
G08

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikee wrote:
I expect that if a team loses a C to injury during preseason the Bears will look to offer up Grasu in a trade.

With the drafting of Morgan, I think Pace is giving up on Grasu as a starting center.

If/When Sitton is gone, I think Morgan will take over at LG, Whitehair stay at C, and Long at RG. Grasu probably will be a backup C, if not backup at all three interior positions. Good insurance, IMO, but it sucks he couldn't lock down the gig. I'm really curious to see if he's gotten stronger in his base.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
mikee wrote:

With the drafting of Morgan, I think Pace is giving up on Grasu as a starting center.

If/When Sitton is gone, I think Morgan will take over at LG, Whitehair stay at C, and Long at RG. Grasu probably will be a backup C, if not backup at all three interior positions. Good insurance, IMO, but it sucks he couldn't lock down the gig. I'm really curious to see if he's gotten stronger in his base.

The problem with the Grasu backing up the interior spots is Eric Kush.

-Kush is a better player and was really good filling in at OG
-Kush has NFL starts at OG and C
-Kush signed a 2 year deal with 500K guaranteed this offseason

I do not think they are looking to cut him.
Nads786

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having a quality backup for Leno definitely scares me. He is very underrated and could throw the whole line into a frenzy.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
G08 wrote:
mikee wrote:

I just can't see Pace cutting ties with his first 3rd round pick.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
G08 wrote:
mikee wrote:

Kush is easily the immediate backup at all interior positions.

Unless there's some sort of late position change--and this regime has moved guys around AFTER the last preseason game in each of the last two years--Grasu is the #8 OL and a gameday inactive.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Long was mediocre at OT, by his own admission as well. Morgan would be an option but he is pretty short for an NFL LT.

Again just think about that one haha...

Give me the line of Long...Sitton...Grasu...Whitehair...Massie

Over...Compton...Sitton...Whitehair...Long...Massie any day.
bears2308

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

Again just think about that one haha...

Give me the line of Long...Sitton...Grasu...Whitehair...Massie

Over...Compton...Sitton...Whitehair...Long...Massie any day.

I'd rather keep our starting 4 where they are their best and try out Compton or Morgan. Have 2 TE sets and chip if needed. I imagine we will be seeing plenty of that with the addition of Sims and Shaheen.
G08

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't mind chipping with a back or a TE... I see no need to mess with a line that was tied for 4th in yards per attempt and 7th in sacks allowed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: