Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2016 vs 2017 by Position Group: Arrow Up or Arrow Down?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: 2016 vs 2017 by Position Group: Arrow Up or Arrow Down? Reply with quote

I am feeling pretty good about the team and I need a cup of hot realism to slow down the sugar buzz from the optimistic green Kool-Aid.

QB <-> I donít even want to think about the QB depth chart.

RB ^ Somehow Ty Montgomery has become our grizzled veteran at RB. Rookalicious backups make me too positive. Talk me out of the arrow up.

TE ^ Cook was great but he couldnít stay on the field. The acquisition of MB points my arrow up. We'd be stupid awesome if Kendricks hits also.

WR <-> Good, not great? Why I have no faith in our WR?

OL <-> Parts out, parts in. I have this weird feeling that Amichia is going to be a stud at guard eventually. Spriggs gives us good depth at T. Losing Lang is not great, but Evans will be fine.

DL ^ Our lil baby Clark will grow up. Lowry will move around. Daniels is Daniels. M. Adams will arrive in time for the playoffs.

OLB <-> Just stay healthy, kids.

ILB ^ Steady play from the plodders and shots of lightning from J. Jones situationally.

CB ^ Healthier and faster.

S ^ Jones has made two positions better. Nice job, buddy!
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to add STs as a whole or by position. I don't know what they are going to do. Will Janis gun and return? or get cut? Vogel or Schumm? The compass spins wildly.
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty confident going down with both OL and OLB. We lost a pro bowl and arguably all pro level guard, along with 2 OLBs who had a lot of combined snaps to be replaced with unknown's at this point.

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
I am pretty confident going down with both OL and OLB. We lost a pro bowl and arguably all pro level guard, along with 2 OLBs who had a lot of combined snaps to be replaced with unknown's at this point.

Its pretty dynamic throughout the long season; and with a team that focuses on development from within, things really change between May and December
The youngsters at OLB may not be as good as Peppers in September, but by December, the young guys get better while Peppers keeps getting older/slower.
MM commented that he and TT don't like old legs on the defense late in the season and they worked hard to limit Julius' snaps early on.

On the OL, the main change is at RG and TJ had another surgery - so he won't see his first action until TC and will then be brought along slowly.
GB may have been facing a downgrade at RG early in the season even if Lang stayed a Packer

The assessments we make today are likely to change by the time the snow flies - and that's kinda important for a team with Title aspirations
blankman0021

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:

No doubt we'll miss Peppers, but I'm not so sure he would come back as the player we've seen before. I agree that for this season, the compass is down at OLB, but sometimes it's an addition by subtraction. We're very thin at the position, but give me a CB over OLB in the 2017 class for sure 10/10 times.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB, OL, and OLB are all pointing down compared to where we started last year.

You have a chance to break even on RB and OLB if the team stays healthy at those spots.

Lang is a top 5 guard in the league, Evans is a top 30 guy.

The RBs drafted are not Eddie Lacy even if you include a healthy chunk of Montgomery development in your analysis.

You have to have very high expectations for guys that haven't played much if you think they're going to replace the production from Peppers and Jones.
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look objectively.

QB: Rodger was WAYYYY down through 6 weeks, and Hundley gets more development. Slightly UP.

RB: Over the course of the year, this unit never got going because of injury. This unit is unquestionably better this year by being at all healthy. UP.

WR: Jordy a year past injury, Cobb bound to be more effective, Adams should repeat effectiveness, and a bunch of young guys should improve. UP.

TE: Unit never got going until Cook got healthy. More depth makes this unit better than last years. UP.

OT: Don't expect Bakh or Bulaga to be as good as last year, when they both played like Pro Bowlers. Again, depth improves from youth development, but I'd call this unit the same.

OG: Evans isn't Lang. Added depth, we may never see it, but definitely DOWN.

C: Linsley's health will untimately dictate if this unit is better or worse, but without the known commodity of Tretter, this unit is DOWN.

DL: Daniels still in his prime. Clark should take a step, and the talent and depth is better despite Guion's suspension. UP.

OLB: If we see 2010 Mathews this is a better group, but that's reaching. If Fackrell, Biegel, or Elliott can give quality snaps this unit will be fine, but it's probably DOWN.

ILB: What Josh Jones does here can potentially be a difference, and you'd think Ryan and Martinez will develop some. But I'll believe all that when I see it. SAME.

CB: We could've done nothing and been better based on Health. Adding an experienced boundary corner in House and talent in King makes this unit noticably better. UP.

S: Losing Hyde hurt the defense in general, and I'm going to factor that in here. I don't think HaHa has a much higher ceiling, and Burnett hasn't ever been anything more than good. Jones' entry helps, and he could potentially improve it, but it's more realistic that year 2 of him is when this unit ultimately is an upgrade over 2016. DOWN.

ST: Not much changing here, Crosby should still be strong. Schum is what he is. A change at LS opens the door for some worry, but depth added all over the roster likely means improvement on coverage units. Who we have returning kicks will be interesting, as we lost our best PR in Hyde. Calling this unit even.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defense Overall = Thumbs Up (slightly)
DB's = Up (Healthier plus adding Jones and King)
OLB's = Same (Clay should be moved to ILB but that won't happen this year). The draft may find some help with Biegel helping in a couple of years. Jury still out on Fackrell too. OLB literally could be better or worse).
ILB's = Down unless Jones is really the hybrid being rumored.
DL = Up (Rickie Jean and Adams shoudl help improve this unit)

Offense Overall = Thumbs Up
OL = Same (losing Lang was a shame and hopefully Evans can help). Not as bad off as some people think.
TE = Up (really good moves by TT which should pay huge dividends)
WR = Up (a more experienced group with a couple of young guys likely contributing).
QB = Up (Rodgers simply has more weapons)
RB = Up (Eddie who?) Looking forward to see what the Packers really have with thee draft picks. Aaron Jones my be the big sleeper and Jamal Williams looks like the real deal. Ty Montgomery gives them a lot of flexibility.
Special Teams = Up (better speed this year)
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me, the only position groups that didn't either go up or couldn't go up were the OL group and the EDGE group.

OL got worse since we lost Lang, but progression there plus Evans should make that dip negligible. We got worse on the EDGE because we lost Peppers and Jones and it's the single position group on our team that I'm not happy with. It has me wanting the Packers to make irrational over the hill free agent signings.
Donzo

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 vs 2017 by Position Group: Arrow Up or Arrow Down? Reply with quote

blueswedeshoes wrote:

ILB ^ Steady play from the plodders

They bring back Hawk and Barrington?
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
If you ask me, the only position groups that didn't either go up or couldn't go up were the OL group and the EDGE group.

OL got worse since we lost Lang, but progression there plus Evans should make that dip negligible. We got worse on the EDGE because we lost Peppers and Jones and it's the single position group on our team that I'm not happy with. It has me wanting the Packers to make irrational over the hill free agent signings.

So we have potentially 2 positions - EDGE and ILB - that we will be weak in in the upcoming season? I have a feeling even NE has a couple of weak spots too. It is almost impossible to have adequate depth at every position in this league. The trick is camouflaging it and using other areas of strength to offset these weaknesses.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously all these groups will be UP compared to how we ended last year, but that's not really a fair comparison IMO. Kinda have to look how we started each.

I think AG20 hit it on the head.
squire12

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
obviously all these groups will be UP compared to how we ended last year, but that's not really a fair comparison IMO. Kinda have to look how we started each.

I think AG20 hit it on the head.

Agree.

If the comparison is to end of the 2016 season, CB is certainly pointing up. If the comparison is to the start of the 2016 training camp, I think it is even or even slightly down
Shields --healthy, solid #1
Randall -- coming off a very nice rookie season
Rollins-- showed flashes as a rookie
Hyde -- versatile role that covers a lot of needs
Gunter--nice 4/5th CB

House -- hoping he returns to 2015 form in GB
Randall -- needs to stay healthy and build off 2015 (forget about 2016)
Rollins -- see Randall
King -- adjust to NFL game
Gunter -- needs to be the 4th/5th CB, not 1 or 2
skibrett15

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OL is significantly down, and significantly down even if evans plays well. You don't have Tretter either, which is a huge hit to the depth considering he was an upgrade over linsley talent wise.

RB is trickiest to analyze given the unknowns of the rookies, and the difficulty projecting improvement from Montgomery.
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2016 vs 2017 by Position Group: Arrow Up or Arrow Down? Reply with quote

Donzo wrote:
blueswedeshoes wrote:

ILB ^ Steady play from the plodders

They bring back Hawk and Barrington?

I like Martinez and Ryan. If you buy me a jersey for either of them I'd wear it.

They check all the boxes for the nice things you say about un-athletic guys.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: