You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

53 Man Roster Prediction

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's most likely to be cut?
OLB - Ahmad Brooks
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
OL - Daniel Kilgore
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
RB - Tim Hightower
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
DE - Tank Carradine
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
DE - Ronald Blair
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: 53 Man Roster Prediction Reply with quote

49ers 53 Man Roster

So now that we've had the draft and seen some of the UDFA signings we know the talent pool that we have to work with and we know there there are going to be quite a few changes. Here's my thoughts on how the roster will look at the start of September.

Offense
QB - Brian Hoyer, Matt Barkley, CJ Beathard - Pretty easy call here, only changes I can see are if Barkley stinks up camp/preseason and Beathard shines but other than that we'll likely have 3 QB's on the roster all year long.
RB - Carlos Hyde, Joe Williams, Tim Hightower - Tough call with Breida and Bibbs having a shot to make it but I went with the guy that that has experience on good teams in platoon backfields. Bibbs to the PS can be brought back in a pinch.
FB - Kyle Jusczyk
TE - Vance McDonald, George Kittle, Logan Paulsen, Cole Hikutini
- I think Paulsen over Celek is likely and Hikutini if he gets healthy will impress with an opportunity. I went with 4 TE just in case Jusczyk gets hurt and Kittle slides to FB. TE’s are useful on all ST units.
WR - Pierre Garcon, Marquise Goodwin, Aldrick Robinson, DeAndre Smelter- I expect big production from Garcon and Goodwin, both over 1k receiving yards. I think Smelter makes it with a skillset that no other receiver on the roster has with his size, Robinson is pretty much a lock too but I dont expect much from him. Smelter/Carter can play some gunner on ST.
Slot - Jeremy Kerley, DeAndre Carter, Trent Taylor - Kerley being brought back was a great move, he's another guy I can see pushing 1k. Carter was one of the first receivers that Lynch/Shanny went out to sign and given an opportunity I think he's going to be our Gabriel. He's going to have to win a spot over Bolden and maybe Ellington but I'm predicting Carter and his 4.4 speed 6.6 3-cone wins out. Trent Taylor I hope I'm wrong about as I wasnt a fan of the pick, but I like his attitude and confidence. We have so many little receivers is hilarious.

LT - Joe Staley
LG - Zane Beadles, Brandon Fusco
C - Jeremy Zuttah
RG - Joshua Garnett
RT - Trent Brown, Gary Gilliam
- I'm assuming that since we didnt use any of our 10 draft picks on an OL, this signing we made of Gilliam the week before is going to be a useful one. He might be able to swing around or allow us to slide Brown to guard. I liked Fusco over Kilgore and Magnuson.

4-3 Under Base Defense
Leo - Solomon Thomas, Tank Carradine, Pita Taumoepenu - I think the front 4 Dline competition is going to push this unit to be the strength of this team for years to come. Not many surprises here but I think Gilbert might have a chance to make the 53 considering he had the biggest udfa contract.
NT - Earl Mitchell, D.J. Jones - I like this pairing, I expect Jones to have a big role year 1.
DT - DeForest Buckner, Quinton Dial - DeFo doesnt come off the field but Dial is on a good contract and has versatility along the line.
DE - Arik Armstead, Aaron Lynch - Blair could make the roster with a productive preseason and it wouldnt surprise me if he's kept and Tank is released.

Sam - Navorro Bowman, Eli Harold - Bow, Foster, and Malcom Smith need to be on the field at the same time and this is the best way for that to happen. Eli Harold will need to prove he can survive in coverage but I think he's got the frame and versatility to beat out Watson.
Mike - Reuben Foster, Brock Coyle
Will - Malcom Smith, Ray-Ray Armstrong

CB - Rashard Robinson, Adrian Colbert
CB - Ahkello Witherspoon, Dontae Johnson
NB - K’Waun Williams, Will Redmond
- We have a very young DB group but I really like the potential. There's great length and speed across the board. Colbert might end up a Safety but will mostly be a ST ace.
SS - Eric Reid, Jaquiski Tartt
FS - Jimmie Ward, Lorenzo Jerome
- I think Lorenzo is a playmaker who will stand out in the preseason. With Reid and Wards injury history there is going to be an important role at the backup safety spot.

KR/PR - Goodwin, Kerley, Carter
K - Robbie Gould
P - Bradley Pinion
LS - Kyle Nelson

Practice Squad
OL - Erik Magnuson
RB - Mike Bibbs
WR - Aaron Burnbridge
WR - Victor Bolden
LB - Jimmie Gilbert
CB - Prince Charles Iworah
DL - Noble Nwachukwu

Notable Cuts:

OL - Daniel Kilgore
OLB - Ahmad Brooks
DT - Chris Jones
LB - Dekoda Watson
DE - Ronald Blair

I'd be interested to see who you guys think will land on the 53 and PS too.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see Blair getting cut. He flashed in his rookie year and I think will impress this new staff. The guys you have on the roster that I see as likely cuts are: Hightower, Smelter, DeAndre Carter, and Pita Taumoepenu (PS). I think Kilgore and Blair are safe.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gore Whore 21 wrote:
I don't see Blair getting cut. He flashed in his rookie year and I think will impress this new staff. The guys you have on the roster that I see as likely cuts are: Hightower, Smelter, DeAndre Carter, and Pita Taumoepenu (PS). I think Kilgore and Blair are safe.

So you think we keep Blair over Pita? or over another position player?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Gore Whore 21 wrote:

So you think we keep Blair over Pita? or over another position player?

Yes, I think Blair would make it over Pita. I think Pita is a candidate for the PS his first year. I don't see either of receivers I mentioned above making the team either let alone both of them.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot better than I did last year that's for sure. A couple things, I don't think we keep seven WRs on the roster and only seven OL. My thinking is one of Taylor, Carter, Smelter get the ax and Kilgore is kept on along with Fusco as our interior depth. I'd also like to see Blair stick, Carradine can go in my mind.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Blair is still eligible for the practice squad if he's not picked up by anyone else immediately if we were to cut him.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropping Blair would be one of the worst moves this team could possibly make. I would not be surprised if we deal Armstead come TC because Blair has killed it. He's a better scheme fit and he's always flashed when put in the game. Blair in my mind is going to be the 5th lineman,(Or first sub DL if you will). I'm also not convinced that Thomas is a full time LEO. I think they try him out there, but I think he's in that Strong side LDE spot and I think we see Pita and Lynch in the Leo role, possible Harold as well (if he makes the cut).

Not sure how I feel about this roster.

Given that we have Jusczyk, I don't see the need bring on Hikutini onto the 53. He's a PS candidate. you don't keep guys like that ont he roster at the cost of someone like Blair, Brooks or Bibbs.

I also don't see Carter making it onto the 53. I even think Goodwin is a bubble player. Burbridge would be my favorite to land that last spot for receivers. Smelter may make it just based on the fact that we have no one really built like him for the position, so I could understand it. But I just think Burbridge has actually shown a little something. I wouldn't be upset to see Smelter get on the 53.

Lastly, I would be dropping Colbert onto the PS and keeping Kilgore. This is kind of a no brainer. You're in essence dropping a guy, who although a below average center, can swing and play across the interior..for a guy who is a gunner...at best.

I'll take the back up interior line.

No a fan of this roster TBH. Really don't like seeing Kilgore, Brooks and Blair getting cut.

xsaMainevent on the sig
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a lot like you want to just see the same roster as last year? We were the worst team in football across basically every aspect of the game last year and you want to bring back these garbage veterans like Kilgore and Brooks. We have a big transition of schemes these on both sides of the ball and there have been a number of roster moves to accommodate these changes in schemes with an addition of a number of players to compete with those guys.

I agree that Bibbs, Burnbridge, and Blair have a good chance of performing well enough in camp/preseason to make it over guys like Carter, Tank, and Hightower and a few others.

I disagree with your thoughts on Colbert, Hikutini. I think we have a sizable hole at the CB position with the loss of Brock and move for Ward and the only additions to that spot are Witherspoon and Colbert the latter having versatility to play at either safety spots. He could be a CJ Spillman type player on the field. I'd take that over a 30 year old underwhelming backup center/guard. Hikutini I see making it over Bell and Celek. Those guys had a shot to prove them selves over the past few years with plenty of targets from a vanilla checkdown offense yet they showed nothing i want to move on. Hikutini has versatility a lot like Kittle with ability to play H/FB and some inline TE so he's got value there, plus Paulson is up there in age and Vance doesn't look to be in any long term plans.

Overall I expect a big transition with a number of changes from the team we saw last year. A lot like the move on from Colin Kaepernick there's a number of players who just aren't in our long term plans that are still capable of playing in this league somewhere in some capacity. But we need to take chances and hope we find a diamond in the rough when there's potential.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Sounds a lot like you want to just see the same roster as last year? We were the worst team in football across basically every aspect of the game last year and you want to bring back these garbage veterans like Kilgore and Brooks. We have a big transition of schemes these on both sides of the ball and there have been a number of roster moves to accommodate these changes in schemes with an addition of a number of players to compete with those guys.

I agree that Bibbs, Burnbridge, and Blair have a good chance of performing well enough in camp/preseason to make it over guys like Carter, Tank, and Hightower and a few others.

I disagree with your thoughts on Colbert, Hikutini. I think we have a sizable hole at the CB position with the loss of Brock and move for Ward and the only additions to that spot are Witherspoon and Colbert the latter having versatility to play at either safety spots. He could be a CJ Spillman type player on the field. I'd take that over a 30 year old underwhelming backup center/guard. Hikutini I see making it over Bell and Celek. Those guys had a shot to prove them selves over the past few years with plenty of targets from a vanilla checkdown offense yet they showed nothing i want to move on. Hikutini has versatility a lot like Kittle with ability to play H/FB and some inline TE so he's got value there, plus Paulson is up there in age and Vance doesn't look to be in any long term plans.

Overall I expect a big transition with a number of changes from the team we saw last year. A lot like the move on from Colin Kaepernick there's a number of players who just aren't in our long term plans that are still capable of playing in this league somewhere in some capacity. But we need to take chances and hope we find a diamond in the rough when there's potential.

Where do you think I want the same roster from last year? That's literally impossible given the amount of turnover that has happened. You asked for feedback on this post and I'm giving it. Wanting to keep 2 older players in favor of a Rookie undrafted/late round picks is not that insane..The reasons we were garbage are multiple. Bad coaching, injuries, lack of talent, not giving the talent we (think) we have adequate shots, horrible QB play etc.

Now, like you alluded too, I could see that Brooks might be victim because of scheme change, but Brooks also wasn't so bad that we should just cut ties and start other players for the sake of it. The alternative can always be worse, look at Devey and Pears. Or when we thought Acker was going to be a diamond in the rough.

Kilgore is bad, but he's not garbage. And again there is a big plus in having a guy who can play on every spot on the interior line, especially at center. I should also preface; if these guys are being cut in favor of other people at their position, I'll put my faith in the staff. My issue with your roster is you're surrendering depth at positions for a bunch of Low round, UDFA rookies who are better served on a PS getting reps there because they won't be getting it anywhere else. Putting someone on the 53 doesn't just inherently make them better.

I would agree with your stance on Colbert if he was actually a good corner. He's not. He was bad at Texas and he was barely average at Miami.He was drafted purely as a project with great physical traits, and a guy who at best can come in and come in be a gunner to start. If it was specified that he was a ST gunner, I wouldn't be down on it. But to take him seriously as a corner prospect when we still have other young corners who we need to see first is just redundant.

Hikutini I have no problem with as a player and I'm totally indifferent to Celek and Bell so I could care less if he's "better" than either of those. I just don't see the point in keeping 4 TE's on the roster when we have when we have KJ already on the roster, who can flex out. We don't need 3 TE/Hback gadget players.

I just see way too many positions being stacked and others being neglected. numbers don't = quality or strength at the position.

Here's my 53: (not sure if this will become the 53 man roster thread, maybe a title change)

Offense total (25)

QB: Hoyer, Barkley, CJ (3)
RB: Hyde, Hightower, Williams, Bibbs(4)
FB:KJ(1)
TE: Vance, Paulsen, Kittles(3)
WR: Garcon, Burbridge, Robinson(3)
Slot: Kerley, Taylor, Goodwin(3)
T: Brown, Staley, Gilliam(3)
G: Beadles,Garnett, Fusco(3)
C: Zuttah,Kilgore(2)

offense total (26)

Note: I'm not going on hard positions because I see us doing a lot of mixing and matching

DE:Thomas, Lynch, Blair, Armstead, Pita (5)
DT:Buckner, Mitchell, Dial, DJ Jones (4)

OLB: Foster, Malcom Smith, Eli Harold Ahmad Brooks (4)
MLB: Bow, Ray Ray (2)

CB: Robinson, Witherspoon, Reaser, Johnson, Redmond, Williams (6)

S: Reid, Ward, Tartt, Jerome (4)

ST(3)
Gould
Pinion
Nelson

To your point, Kilgore and Brooks would be major bubble players, especially Brooks. But I think this is a better 53 and actually provides depth at all positions.

Regardless of our 53 man rosters, this team still needs a lot of talent added.

The other thing that's impossible to predict is who we pick-up around and during TC. Kerley was that early season pick-up who turned out solid. Maybe we can get a like that again.

xsaMainevent on the sig
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt I appreciate the response and points you bring up. I think they're good ones that simply see it one way that I see them another. I labeled this a prediction thread cause like you said we have no clue what will happen for the remainder of the offseason. Just today marked the day that addition signings don't count towards comp pick distributions which are tradable now so we might see a bit more action.

We also just have different ideas on which positions we're loading up on vs. others. You like RB I like TE for example which would make sense. I know next to nothing about Bibbs and he could end up having a larger role than I expect.

Brooks being 33 doesn't worry you?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Biderman of USA Today/Ninerswire shared his 53 man roster prediction for those interested. http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/18/49ers-53-man-roster-projection-1-0-defense/

QB
Brian Hoyer
Matt Barkley
C.J. Beathard
RB
Carlos Hyde
Tim Hightower
Joe Williams
Matt Breida
Kyle Jusczyk
TE
George Kittle
Logan Paulsen
Cole Hikutini
WR
Pierre Garçon
Jeremy Kerley
Marquise Goodwin
Aldrick Robinson
Trent Taylor
DeAndre Carter
OL
Joe Staley
Trent Brown
Garry Gilliam
Josh Garnett
Zane Beadles
Brandon Fusco
Jeremy Zuttah
Tim Barnes

ILB
NaVorro Bowman
Reuben Foster
Malcolm Smith
Brock Coyle
OLB/Sam/Leo
Ahmad Brooks
Aaron Lynch
Eli Harold
Pita Taumoepenu
DE 3-4-5 Tech
DeForest Buckner
Arik Armstead
Solomon Thomas
Ronald Blair
Tank Carradine
NT
Earl Mitchell
Quinton Dial
D.J. Jones
CB
Rashard Robinson
Dontae Johnson
Ahkello Witherspoon
Will Redmond
K’Waun Williams
S
Jimmie Ward
Eric Reid
Jaquiski Tartt
Lorenzo Jerome
Punter: Bradley Pinion
Kicker: Robbie Gould
Long snapper: Kyle Nelson

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Chris Biderman of USA Today/Ninerswire shared his 53 man roster prediction for those interested. http://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/18/49ers-53-man-roster-projection-1-0-defense/

QB
Brian Hoyer
Matt Barkley
C.J. Beathard
RB
Carlos Hyde
Tim Hightower
Joe Williams
Matt Breida
Kyle Jusczyk
TE
George Kittle
Logan Paulsen
Cole Hikutini
WR
Pierre Garçon
Jeremy Kerley
Marquise Goodwin
Aldrick Robinson
Trent Taylor
DeAndre Carter
OL
Joe Staley
Trent Brown
Garry Gilliam
Josh Garnett
Zane Beadles
Brandon Fusco
Jeremy Zuttah
Tim Barnes

ILB
NaVorro Bowman
Reuben Foster
Malcolm Smith
Brock Coyle
OLB/Sam/Leo
Ahmad Brooks
Aaron Lynch
Eli Harold
Pita Taumoepenu
DE 3-4-5 Tech
DeForest Buckner
Arik Armstead
Solomon Thomas
Ronald Blair
Tank Carradine
NT
Earl Mitchell
Quinton Dial
D.J. Jones
CB
Rashard Robinson
Dontae Johnson
Ahkello Witherspoon
Will Redmond
K’Waun Williams
S
Jimmie Ward
Eric Reid
Jaquiski Tartt
Lorenzo Jerome
Punter: Bradley Pinion
Kicker: Robbie Gould
Long snapper: Kyle Nelson

That's one of my preferred rosters come week 1. I'm not sure the guaranteed money with McDonalds contract but I don't see Hikutini making it over him, especially since Hikutini might make it to our practice squad. I'd prefer Kilgore over Barnes but those are relatively small things. I love keeping both Breida and Williams along with Hyde and Hightower and although all our WRs would be on the small side, considerably, I'm certain we'd find a couple of depth/slot options going forward.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hate this. don't get DeAndre Carter though. Too many slot receivers. Rather see Burbridge or Smelter make it on as the last receiver.

xsaMainevent on the sig

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: