Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My top preliminary prospects for the 2018 draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Iamcanadian"]
Ozzy wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:

To an extent.

This is coming from a life long Longhorn fan.

He doesn't make alot of TO's, and plus he plays high in his stance and can be over aggressive.

But his run support and instincts there are pro level. He does an adequete job in zone coverage, can't say I remember seeing him in straight man coverage. But does show a second motor when chasing down ball carriers. And a non stop attitude playing sideline to sideline. Also has a surprising ability to disengage tackles when put one on one.

Athletic ability is on par with Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack.

Honestly I was critical of him at the beginning of the season last year, h/e he made strides as the season went on. Best position is Will, and he struggled a bit at Mike. Had he been in this previous draft. I would have said he was worth a pick in the high teens low 20's.

Keep in mind this is not a guy who's going to whiff on a tackle and cost you a 80 yard run. He doesn't make a ton of plays, but he definitely won't cost you them either.
Agree, sure Jefferson has things to improve on but he is an elite level talent and a 1st round talent unlike some of these players I feel.

Jefferson in a class that is kind of weak at OLB if you take out the 3/4 OLBs, is a elite talent potentially. Really good quickness and ability to get away from blocks, runs very well, if he can improve his overall strength, awareness and tackling a little he will be just fine.

Iamcanadian wrote:

Post subject: My top preliminary prospects for the 2018 draft
Of course, there will be many changes as the season progresses:

Definitely the year of the QB to start the season.
James being that low is a joke right? Or are you assuming he will not be the same after injury? Kid is a top 5 talent all the way when fully healthy. And what makes Dalton Schultz a 1st round talent at TE? Kid has a long ways to go I think, a lot of potentialy but has really proven little on the field in terms of play making and overall consistency.
Quote:

Yes, James is lower until injury issue is determined.

Schultz was the #1 TE prospect coming out of high school and plays for a school that produces pro TE's, plus, he is a big boy. I fully expect him to blossom this season and be a 1st rounder. I put a lot of value on a HC's past results at a position for producing solid pros. Successful college HC's usually have limited assets, but show their tendencies for where they place their better players. It is obvious that Shaw places a lot of importance on the TE position.

And Denzel Ward, will see how he does, I imagine Kendall Sheffield might impressive more than Ward does.

Quote:

Well, in choosing Ward, I noticed that Phil Steele's 2016 College Preview, had Ward as the starter over Lattimore, so I am projecting that Ward will be another in a long line of stars for Ohio St. Sheffield could be a star as well, but I think it is Ward till the season proves otherwise.

Also how is Quin Blanding, Mike Gesicki, Skai Moore, Rashaan Evans and
Derrick Nnadi not 1st round picks as players who returned and had 1st round ability arguably this past year especially Blanding and Gesicki. Moore is coming off injury of course but still is a rare talent and Evans should end up being just as productive as Foster was this past year.

Quote:
Well, they all returned to school, so just maybe, the NFL pre ranking wasn't as high as people projected for some of them.

Gesicki is my #2 TE, so I agree he is close.

I like Blanding a lot, but I just don't have him as a 1st rounder at this point.

S. Moore - Pretty tough group of LB's available in this draft, so it isn't an easy group to crack and I liked my group better.

R. Evans - Alabama will have a # of starters pop out and take the top ranking at a position, Evans could easily be one of them and I will be keeping a close eye on him and a # of other Alabama starters, especially the 1st year starters. Heck, Alabama's 3rd string would start for many a college team. Just have to see which ones grab the reins and run with it.

D. Nnadi is very close to a 1st round talent, but I do not think for now, that the DT position is all that strong this draft.

Give me Deondre Francois over those other QBs arguably. Darnold and Allen are good, Rosen I feel is not a 1st round prospect and has a lot to prove this up coming year. In terms of just raw talent and athletic ability it is these three all day long over everyone else to start the season I feel: Arden Key, Derwin James and Saquon Barkley.

I obviously am sold on my 1st 3 QB's and feel Rosen will blossom this year. I have 4 QB's in the top 10 and right now, those are the ones I like best for their overall talent. However, the position is full of final season ups and downs when it comes to QB's actually developing or taking a step backwards. I just keep an open mind and study the results.

I certainly like all 3 of Key, James and Barkley and hope they all have great seasons. I really hope it is a sensational year for QB's, but we will have to see how the reality pans out.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, this draft will be exceptionally strong at QB, OT and WR, a very offensive draft. I do not think I have seen so many QB prospects ever in one draft. Of course, some will rise to the top while other sink to the bottom, but it is quite a group.

Definite first rounders and likely top 5 picks:
:

Sam Darnold, USC tops the pre season list
Josh Rosen, UCLA
Josh Allen, Wyoming Very interesting prospect

Likely top 10 prospect

Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Other possible 1st round talents:

Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma St.
Luke Falk, Washington St.
Jake Browning, Washington

Bringing up the rear, but solid prospects:

Austin Allen, Arkansas
Quinton Flowers, South Florida
Logan Woodside, Toledo
Riley Ferguson, Memphis
Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi St
Wilton Speight, Michigan
Tanner Mangum, BYU

Then there are:

Steven Montez, Colorado
Jarrett Stidham, Auburn
J.T. Barrett, Ohio St.
Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

WR is possibly the strongest position in the draft from top to bottom, a lot of talent.

Current cream of the crop
:

Calvin Ridley, Alabama
Christian Kirk, Texas A&M
Deon Cain, Clemson

Other 1st round possibilities:

Antonio Callaway, Florida
Mark Andrews, Oklahoma
Courtland Sutton, Southern Methodist

Then there are the Senior Class which is one of the best in years

Dante Pettis, Washington
Robert Foster, Alabama
James Washington, Oklahoma St.
Darren Carrington, Oregon
Daesean Hamilton, Penn St.
Allen Lazard, Iowa St.
D.J. Chark, LSU
Simmie Cobbs, Indiana
Jake Wieneke, South Dakota St.
Janarion Grant, Rutgers
Cedrick Wilson, Boise St.
Cody THompson, Toledo
Anthony Miller, Memphis
Devonte Boyd, UNLV
Eldridge Massington, UCLA
Michael Gallup, Colorado St.
Jester Weah, Pittsburgh

Followed by a strong junior class if they declare:

Hunter Renfrow, Clemson
Deebo Samuel, South Carolina
Trenton Irwin, Stanford
Deontay Burnett, USC
Damarkus Lodge, Mississippi
Parris Campbell, Ohio St.
Ray-Ray McCloud, Clemson
Quadree Henderson, Pittsburgh
Trequan Smith, Central Florida
Van Jefferson, Mississippi

The OT crop was strengthened by so many juniors opting to return for their senior year which is why the 2017 was so weak at OT.

Cream of the crop:

Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

Other 1st round possibilities:

Connor Williams, Texas
Mitch Hyatt, Clemson
Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
Martinas Rankin, Mississippi St.
Braden Smith, Auburn
Tyrell Crosby, Oregon

Solid Depth with lots of potential starters:

Toby Weathersby, LSU
Trey Adams, Washington
Geron Christian, Louisville
Jamarco Jones, Ohio St.
Chukwuma Okorafor, Western Michigan
Bentley Spain, North carolina
Zachary Crabtree, Oklahoma St.
Brett Kendrick, Tennessee
Ike Bottger, Iowa
Andrew Nelson, Penn St.
Casey Tucker, Stanford
David Bright, Stanford
Joseph Noteboom, TCU
Jake Campos, Iowa St.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: