Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My top preliminary prospects for the 2018 draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: My top preliminary prospects for the 2018 draft Reply with quote

Of course, there will be many changes as the season progresses:

Definitely the year of the QB to start the season.

* = Junior
** = Redshirt Sophomore

1- **SAM DARNOLD QB USC

2- *JOSH ROSEN QB UCLA

3- *JOSH ALLEN QB WYOMING

4- *ORLANDO BROWN OT OKLAHOMA

5- *ARDEN KEY DE/OLB LSU

6- *DORANCE ARMSTRONG DE/OLB KANSAS

7- *LAMAR JACKSON QB LOUISVILLE

8- *TARVARUS McFADDEN CB FLORIDA STATE

9- *CALVIN RIDLEY WR ALABAMA

10- *RONNIE HARRISON S ALABAMA

11- *DENZEL WARD CB OHIO STATE

12- *SAQUON BARKLEY RB PENN STATE

13- *MITCH HYATT OT CLEMSON

14- *QUENTON NELSON OG NOTRE DAME

15-: *SAM HUBBARD DE/OLB OHIO STATE

16- *DEON CAIN WR CLEMSON

17- **CLELIN FERRELL DE/OLB CLEMSON

18- *MINKAH FITZPATRICK S ALABAMA

19- *DALTON SCHULTZ TE STANFORD

20- BRADEN SMITH G/T AUBURN

21- *DERRIUS GUICE RB LSU

22- **DERWIN JAMES S FLORIDA STATE

23-: MASON COLE C MICHIGAN

24- TROY FUMAGALLI TE WISCONSIN

25- MARTINAS RANKIN OT MISSISSIPPI STATE

26-*CHRISTIAN KIRK WR TEXAS A&M

27- MIKE McGLINCHEY OT NOTRE DAME

28- *MALIK JEFFERSON OLB TEXAS

29-: HAROLD LANDRY DE/OLB BOSTON COLLEGE

30 *CHRISTIAN WILKINS DT CLEMSON

31- *VITA VEA DT WASHINGTON

32- *MARTEZ IVEY OG FLORIDA

Here is another 8 that just missed my cut:

33 DAMIEN HARRIS RB ALABAMA

34 JONATHAN LEDBETTER DE/OLB GEORGIA

35 DEON CAIN WR CLEMSON

36 TREY ADAMS OT WASHINGTON

37 BO SCARBROUGH RB ALABAMA

38 TRENTON IRWIN WR STANFORD

39 JONATHAN CRAWFORD SS INDIANA

40 TOBY WEATHERSBY OT LSU

Remember guys, this isn't fixed in stone, just my preliminary list to start off the season.

Last edited by Iamcanadian on Wed May 10, 2017 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for posting this. Going to be a good draft if you want a QB for sure. Looking specifically at the 49ers.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
jefftones1910

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik Jefferson is not a good football player. He has the size and speed/athleticism but he is a bad linebacker. I thought his backup Edwin Freeman was a better player than him in 2016 and Malik was benched multiple times. I've been a Longhorn fan since forever and Malik is nowhere near a Derrick Johnson or even Jordan Hicks or Keenan Robinson. You can see the athleticism flash at times but he disappears for long stretches. He reportedly benches more than he squats, which is weird and opens up some more questions and probably explains his struggles when engaging a blocker. I also don't think I've ever seen him make a play in pass coverage
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched Malik Jefferson, but I've heard rumbles that he's pretty much coasting on his name/reputation and hasn't played like a blue-chipper. I'm going to watch him a bit and post my thoughts in the 2018 LB thread.
Top5Fitz

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connor Williams? Antonio Callaway?

LB Haason Reddick, S Budda Baker, WR Chad Williams, OG Dorian Johnson, OT Will Holden, RB/KR TJ Logan, CB/S Rudy Ford
pnies20

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord please let one of the Browns QBs play well. We could get Thomas' replacement and another blue chip player like James or McFadden

Or Barkley Very Happy
bscott36

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you about Dorance Armstrong. I noticed him pop off the screen consistently when watching Fish Smithson stuff. Can't wait to see what he does this year
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
I haven't watched Malik Jefferson, but I've heard rumbles that he's pretty much coasting on his name/reputation and hasn't played like a blue-chipper. I'm going to watch him a bit and post my thoughts in the 2018 LB thread.

I believe Strong benched him for a time last year

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
VanS

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my top 5 prospects for 2018 thus far:

1a. RB Saquon Barkley (Penn State) - best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson
1b. S Derwin James (Florida State) - best S prospect since Sean Taylor
3. WR Antonio Callaway (Florida) - second coming of Sterling Sharpe; future all-pro WR
4. DE Arden Key (LSU) - second coming of Simeon Rice; future all-pro DE
5. QB Sam Darnold (USC) - small sample size but I like what I've seen
Calvert28

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:

To an extent.

This is coming from a life long Longhorn fan.

He doesn't make alot of TO's, and plus he plays high in his stance and can be over aggressive.

But his run support and instincts there are pro level. He does an adequete job in zone coverage, can't say I remember seeing him in straight man coverage. But does show a second motor when chasing down ball carriers. And a non stop attitude playing sideline to sideline. Also has a surprising ability to disengage tackles when put one on one.

Athletic ability is on par with Jaylon Smith and Myles Jack.

Honestly I was critical of him at the beginning of the season last year, h/e he made strides as the season went on. Best position is Will, and he struggled a bit at Mike. Had he been in this previous draft. I would have said he was worth a pick in the high teens low 20's.

Keep in mind this is not a guy who's going to whiff on a tackle and cost you a 80 yard run. He doesn't make a ton of plays, but he definitely won't cost you them either.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
lark25

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the inclusion of Fumagalli - dude consistently showed up against some of the best defenses in the country.
Ozzy

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvert28 wrote:

To an extent.

He doesn't make alot of TO's, and plus he plays high in his stance and can be over aggressive.

But his run support and instincts there are pro level. He does an adequete job in zone coverage, can't say I remember seeing him in straight man coverage. But does show a second motor when chasing down ball carriers. And a non stop attitude playing sideline to sideline. Also has a surprising ability to disengage tackles when put one on one.

Honestly I was critical of him at the beginning of the season last year, h/e he made strides as the season went on. Best position is Will, and he struggled a bit at Mike. Had he been in this previous draft. I would have said he was worth a pick in the high teens low 20's.

Keep in mind this is not a guy who's going to whiff on a tackle and cost you a 80 yard run. He doesn't make a ton of plays, but he definitely won't cost you them either.
Agree, sure Jefferson has things to improve on but he is an elite level talent and a 1st round talent unlike some of these players I feel.

Jefferson in a class that is kind of weak at OLB if you take out the 3/4 OLBs, is a elite talent potentially. Really good quickness and ability to get away from blocks, runs very well, if he can improve his overall strength, awareness and tackling a little he will be just fine.

Iamcanadian wrote:

Post subject: My top preliminary prospects for the 2018 draft

James being that low is a joke right? Or are you assuming he will not be the same after injury? Kid is a top 5 talent all the way when fully healthy. And what makes Dalton Schultz a 1st round talent at TE? Kid has a long ways to go I think, a lot of potentialy but has really proven little on the field in terms of play making and overall consistency.

And Denzel Ward, will see how he does, I imagine Kendall Sheffield might impressive more than Ward does.

Also how is Quin Blanding, Mike Gesicki, Skai Moore, Rashaan Evans and
Derrick Nnadi not 1st round picks as players who returned and had 1st round ability arguably this past year especially Blanding and Gesicki. Moore is coming off injury of course but still is a rare talent and Evans should end up being just as productive as Foster was this past year.

Give me Deondre Francois over those other QBs arguably. Darnold and Allen are good, Rosen I feel is not a 1st round prospect and has a lot to prove this up coming year. In terms of just raw talent and athletic ability it is these three all day long over everyone else to start the season I feel: Arden Key, Derwin James and Saquon Barkley.
Texasmade

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jefftones1910 wrote:
Malik Jefferson is not a good football player. He has the size and speed/athleticism but he is a bad linebacker. I thought his backup Edwin Freeman was a better player than him in 2016 and Malik was benched multiple times. I've been a Longhorn fan since forever and Malik is nowhere near a Derrick Johnson or even Jordan Hicks or Keenan Robinson. You can see the athleticism flash at times but he disappears for long stretches. He reportedly benches more than he squats, which is weird and opens up some more questions and probably explains his struggles when engaging a blocker. I also don't think I've ever seen him make a play in pass coverage
You're not necessarily wrong, Malik wasn't very good last year, but he's a product of his environment,and pretty much the poster boy of how grossly incompetent the previous coaching staff was. He certainly wasn't the only one regressed. There was a large group of kids from that 15' class who looked really promising as freshman, and then either stagnated or regressed entirely. Outside of Connor Williams and maybe PJ Locke, I can't really think of anyone from that class who actually got better from year 1 to year 2. Holton Hill, John Burt, Patrick Vahe, Anthony Wheeler, just to name a few, all looked the part of future all conference/nfl guys as freshman and all ended up getting benched at some point in year 2. They own a share of that responsbility but when it becomes a team wide epidemic, it's not unreasonable to think a coaching staff incapable of beating Kansas and Iowa State on a regular basis, is the main culprit.

We'll see how it goes, but I expect Malik, among others, will have a bounce back year.
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzy wrote:
Calvert28 wrote:

To an extent.

Agree, sure Jefferson has things to improve on but he is an elite level talent and a 1st round talent unlike some of these players I feel.

Jefferson in a class that is kind of weak at OLB if you take out the 3/4 OLBs, is a elite talent potentially. Really good quickness and ability to get away from blocks, runs very well, if he can improve his overall strength, awareness and tackling a little he will be just fine.

Iamcanadian wrote:

Post subject: My top preliminary prospects for the 2018 draft

James being that low is a joke right? Or are you assuming he will not be the same after injury? Kid is a top 5 talent all the way when fully healthy. And what makes Dalton Schultz a 1st round talent at TE? Kid has a long ways to go I think, a lot of potentialy but has really proven little on the field in terms of play making and overall consistency.

And Denzel Ward, will see how he does, I imagine Kendall Sheffield might impressive more than Ward does.

Also how is Quin Blanding, Mike Gesicki, Skai Moore, Rashaan Evans and
Derrick Nnadi not 1st round picks as players who returned and had 1st round ability arguably this past year especially Blanding and Gesicki. Moore is coming off injury of course but still is a rare talent and Evans should end up being just as productive as Foster was this past year.

Give me Deondre Francois over those other QBs arguably. Darnold and Allen are good, Rosen I feel is not a 1st round prospect and has a lot to prove this up coming year. In terms of just raw talent and athletic ability it is these three all day long over everyone else to start the season I feel: Arden Key, Derwin James and Saquon Barkley.

To be completely honest, I have never seen a draft year where preliminary lists hold up once NFL.com starts printing their lists. Not Kiper's, not anybody's, they all undergo a massive changes once NFL.com starts on the draft.

Preliminary lists are just a starting point helping us to focus on prospects who might develop and be 1st rounders, none of them carry a complete guarantee, they will remain so. And yes, injuries play their part till a prospect shows he is completely recovered.

Also, how many times do prospects from major programs blossom in their one year of starting after sitting behind a great player, so we all have to wait on them.
Ozzy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:

To be completely honest, I have never seen a draft year where preliminary lists hold up once NFL.com starts printing their lists. Not Kiper's, not anybody's, they all undergo a massive changes once NFL.com starts on the draft.

Preliminary lists are just a starting point helping us to focus on prospects who might develop and be 1st rounders, none of them carry a complete guarantee, they will remain so. And yes, injuries play their part till a prospect shows he is completely recovered.

Also, how many times do prospects from major programs blossom in their one year of starting after sitting behind a great player, so we all have to wait on them.
They are simple questions I felt and a way to open dialog about prospects. You do not want to do that which is fine I guess. I am aware it is a early list and tons of things will change, still does not mean the questions are not valid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: